Is the viscious cycle returning? Traffic decreasing.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

Since last week, my traffic (page views) has been decreasing.  Hope not because of someone stealing my hubs as is happening so damned frequent recently.  I will be at a lost if I am also a victim as I am not IT savvy.  All those reports and DMCA notices to be made.  So far lucky for me, no threatening notices from Hp Admin.  So I assume my hubs are intact, just the traffic nosedrive.  Any expert here experiencing same problem?   Going out now.  Will return in many hours' time.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While the notice from HubPages is a way to know if your work has been stolen, I wouldn't rely on it as my only source.  I have never gotten a notice, but my hubs have been stolen many times.  Try a sentence or two from one of your hubs that has lost the most views and put it into a search engine and see what other articles crop up.

One thing I have seen recently, is that sentences from my hubs show up in the coding, but not on the page of lots of other sites. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about that.

Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Millionaire Tips,
        You are damned right.  My first try and I got this one.  He copied 100% up to even my disclaimer!!  I am real angry.  This one was copied on 23rd April 2013.  I wonder how many more.  How to file DMCA report?

http://safe-living.blogspot.com/2013/04 … arlic.html

1. Act 3 profile image77
          Act 3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good Guy - It's best not to provide a functional link to the offending web page. If you can still edit your post, try replacing the actual dots with (dot). That way the bad guy isn't getting "credit" for links to their site. Someone pointed this out to me when I did the same thing a few days ago!

Search DMCA on hubpages and you will find some info. You will need to try and find the owner and webhost at who.is.

Here is a sample DMCA letter:
          I am #######, the exclusive rights holder for the article “######” with the following urls: ######

These exclusive rights are being violated by material available on your site at the following url: #######.

I have in good faith belief that the use of this material in such fashion is not authorized by the copyright holder, the copyright holder's agent or the law and therefore infringe the copyright owner's rights.

Under the penalty of perjury in a United States court, I state that the information contained in this notification is accurate, and that I am the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights for the material in question.

I hereby demand that you act expeditiously to remove the material claimed to be infringing.

My contact information is as follows:
          name/address
          email:
          phone:

2. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That blog site is owned and hosted by Google.

Go to this link and check the first item on the list: Blogger/Blogspot

https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

Follow the instructions from there to file the DMCA request to have them stop hosting the site.

When the blog has been removed after a few days, go to the first link again, choose Web Search, and have the cache copy of the blog removed.

Then go to three of my Hubs and vote them thumbs-up. (Kidding, sort of.)

1. susi10 profile image95
            susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good tips Writer Fox, smile I never know when I will need to follow them. Hubs are getting stolen so many times and so many Hubbers are being affected. It is outrageous! 

At least Blogger websites/blogs can be taken down pretty quick since they are hosted by Google.

I'm just wondering, what effect does a thumbs up have on a hub? You cannot count how many thumbs up/votes up it received so what is the point in having that feature? (Sorry for being off-topic, I just saw it at the end of your post.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's an old feature and I also wonder why HubPages has bothered to keep it.  They've said that voting up and down has only a miniscule effect on HubScore.

2. Good Guy profile image83

Writer Fox, Thanks a million for the info.  As this is my first DMCA I hope I did it right.  I think there will be many to come.  Another one is this http://www.herbalmedicinetips.com/2011/ … ancer.html
            This looks like a private website.  How do I go about this one?
            I just checked 2 hubs and they were copied.  I think I have lots of work to file DMCAs!!!  Hell!

1. Writer Fox profile image32

That website is hosted by enom.com. Here is the notice to send.  Send it exactly as it is written and don't change the wording or add anything to it.  This is the exact wording required by the DMCA, which is a U.S. law.

Send the email below to:
              abuse@enom.com

Pursuant to 17 USC 512(c)(3)(A), this communication serves as a statement that:

I am the exclusive rights holder of the images and the article, posted on www.HubPages.com:

[Insert your Hub URL.]

These exclusive rights are being violated by material available upon a site you are hosting, at the following URLs:

[Insert URL of plagiarized content.]

This is my contact information:

[Your name
              Your address
              Your phone number
              Your email address]

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by me, the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

I hereby request that you remove or disable access to this material as it appears on herbalmedicinetips.com in as expedient a fashion as possible.

[Your name]

Thanks Writer Fox,

Can I leave out the phone number, because I feel awkward answering calls especially from different accent. 
                Looks like I have plenty of work to do.  Can you please tell me how to find out the host company of those dishonest websites, so I don't have to bother you with individual cases?

You are required to put a phone number in there or your DMCA request is not valid under U.S law.  (Nobody ever calls!)

You can usually find who is hosting a website by using this service:
                  http://www.whoishostingthis.com/

If it is not there, you can find it in other ways that are probably too complicated to explain here.

A million thanks.  Writer Fox.  I shall try my best to fix these scoundrels. In the meantime, I need to learn the ropes about all these reporting.

3. Good Guy profile image83

Hi Writer Fox,
            "When the blog has been removed after a few days, go to the first link again, choose Web Search, and have the cache copy of the blog removed."
            How do I do this, and what is "first link"?  Sorry, I am a complete idiot as far as this is concerned.

This link:
              https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

To remove the cache, choose the third option: Web Search

Writer Fox, I shall try my best to learn the ropes.  Thank you very much.  You are an angel!!!  Just imagine, without expert people like you; people like me will not be able to go after these scoundrels.

Go get 'em!

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
                  ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine have been stolen too many times. It is so frustrating and almost impossible to stop this on Internet.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a Learning Center Hub about filing a DMCA request here as well.
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I look forward to reading answers. When ever I experience lack of views I realize most of my views are from inside HP. When I notice the other percentage outside - Google, Facebook, other sources, I look first at Account Page → Traffic sources → and then 24 hours and 7 day queues. I get a hint then anyway. I realize FB will drop as the exposure diminishes with shares and reads directly and in a short time span.

At Google sources, as there are a couple, I ponder search engines while knowing I am SEO illiterate. Next, I check Google Analytics and see where they were read. I have about a 50/50 split between U.S. and Europe. One may drop or both. I ponder freshness while again remembering I am SEO illiterate.

Personally, I know many of my articles roam education more because of shares of friends and relatives that are registered students. Now, for instance there is spring break. They are not at their desks looking about. They are playing or visiting.

Consider I have a very small following outside of HP and really not a whole lot of views. It is easy for me to discover drops in views. Larger readership I imagine more tricks of the trade are needed. I too will listen to what is shared today. Thank you for asking and those too that answer.
      tim

3. Tiffanyapril profile image60
      Tiffanyaprilposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello, I am sorry to hear. I hope things turn around. May your evening be Bless.  “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
      ― Winston Churchill

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

Looks like there was a monthly Google panda run recently.  One of my accounts is down, another is up.  Pretty sure it's that in my case.

3. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

I'm down, too........

4. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

If your Hubs have lost ranking on search engine results pages for targeted keywords, Google has released this new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6voLG6FHzTE

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

HP seems up slightly overall according to Quantcast.

Quantcast shows that HP traffic has been basically flat for the past 3 months, except for the day a Hub went viral on Facebook.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

According to Quantcast, there was no sudden drop midweek.  Instead, a slight increase, which may or may not have any significance.

There were two massive traffic spikes in December/January, that we were told at the time were due to viral hubs.

That's my interpretation, anyway - if some people see only one spike or whatever, that's fine!  wink

6. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 10 years ago

Spring break!

7. profile image0
    Jeanne Grunertposted 10 years ago

You don't need any "IT savvy" to complete a DMCA report. HubPages flags them in your dashboard if they find a copied one. As for traffic decreasing, mine is increasing. Are your hub seasonal? Sometimes that influences traffic more than you think.

My hubs are not seasonal.  I have been here 4 years, experiencing bouts of low traffic periodically, but not like this time.  It is still diving, and today my traffic is the lowest, and looks like still diving!!

2. Good Guy profile image83

HP did not flag for me.  I found 3 of them on my first 3 tries by Google search.  I wonder how many more on the line.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)