As a new writer to Hupages what was "or is" your #1 concern?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 10 years ago

Do you believe that you fit in as a writer? Do you have a set goal? Do you feel that the community is helpful?
    What are your concerns? Most important, if you have been actively writing for Hubpages for awhile, do you feel as if you have made a difference to those who are new to the community?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8854314_f248.jpg

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question and a great forum topic. When I first arrived it was would it be fun and learning. If those were not going to transpire , then I would not have felt it having worth for me. Those are primary with my personality and character (as indicated by survey testing and etc - Gallup's Now Discover Your Strengths positive psychology eval and others.

Returning after a hiatus the same applies. So, primary for me is not what HubPages provides with its platform and system, but of me. Those two just mentioned have less to my primary concern than me . . . myself.

Addressing your additional questions? I believe any writer will fit somewhere and someplace since HP is so vast and comprised of many writers. It is a large community of smaller communities. It is discovery of the where is sometimes time consuming for a snug fit and overall with a loose fit is not.

Yes I have goals. Mine are time sensitive rather than being ranking orientated. Where I wish to be in a month, 3 months, a year, and etc. The rankings will follow those with change(s). Quality will definitely improve and alterations will occur with new vs. old for my profile.

The community is definitely helpful as the first obvious is they publish and those articles are examples of what to do and what not to do. Then follow that with interactions and one sees community activity is conducive toward achievement and its success and that is personally determined.

Today the only concern I have is me and how long I will be active with life changes currently. Nothing more.

Yes, I definitely made a difference over the three years+ I have been publishing and active within the community(s). Some good, some bad, some better, some worse, yet learning always occurred and obviously someone or someones will have noticed and gained something from that. It only takes one to have an effect.

Even if one person who reads the article is the only person to read it . . . it was read. Therefore the article is a successful having a readership. Even if they indicate they did not learn something . . . well . . . that is a false observation as they learned they did not learn. So, if one member is effected the community is effected somehow and someway.

I hope those, of which answers what is asked, offer insight while realizing inspiration always proceeds cause and that is followed with an affect. Inspiration comes from within primarily, even though an influence may prompt it.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
        Kiss andTalesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very true!

2. profile image0
        swilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your though provoking answer tsmog, This is true that learning will always occur to despite the situation.

2. Greg Dean profile image39
    Greg Deanposted 10 years ago

I personally want to master how to raise my points score. It's frustrating to see them drop and not know exactly why.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Greg, You are off to a good start here on HubPages.

I took a look at a couple of your hubs, and they both look like they have good content and are of good quality.

They both seem to be following the same layout. I would recommend choosing a layout that is more attractive.   For one, I would recommend not having a long paragraph on the right.  Although you can put text on the right, you want to keep it small, so your words aren't competing with each other.  You also have two pictures right on top of each other at the bottom of the hub. I would separate them with more words, and put more words beneath the photo.  The pictures are there to supplement the hub, and when they are right next to each other, they tend to take over.

The other thing I would recommend is to proofread them before publishing.  I think we are all guilty of this, but there were issues - wrong word being used "idea" vs "ideal and other typos that would easily have been fixed if you read your work again.

By fixing these types of things, your hubs will come out of the Quality Assessment Process with higher scores, which, in turn, will raise your Hubber score.

2. profile image0

Hi Greg, Millionaire Tips provided a wealth of information. Proofreading is very important, something that I need to take time to do as well. It's hard not to constantly focus on score, it's a way of life. It is encouraging to understand what needs to be done in order to visually see improvement.

3. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

Always remember there is some one at the top, that is equal but not equal to your opinions as you post your work for publication, get something out of it ,learn from it, and most important ,as said and heard before your success and reality is not based on those that  say different. you make your own reality come alive.

1. profile image0

Hi K.T. great insight! Thank you.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
        Kiss andTalesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are always welcome .looking forward to your work!

4. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 10 years ago

I feel that only my fluff or "review" articles get significant traffic.

1. profile image0

Yes, Cfin, I noticed that some articles do better than others.

5. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

As a new hubber, outside of typical frustrations like fluctuating hubberscore and getting adsense approval, my biggest concern was, and remains, having enough time to produce hubs. I was up until wee hours this morning trying to finish my last hub for the challenge and missed the deadline by minutes. Granted, I didn't start until about 3 hours 'til midnight but that's the story of my busy life - not having enough time for anything.
    Having enough quality hubs actually resolves both frustrations of adsense and hubberscore. Eventually, hubberscore stabilizes but it's difficult to ignore it as a newbie.
    Regarding help from the community, I could not have gotten through a lot of my cluelessness and newbie-neurosis without the help of other hubbers. I try to pay it forward when I can by helping others in the forums and in Q&A.

1. profile image0

Wow Janshares! To think that you've only been here for a year and look! A score of 100 great Hubs. I did not write for two years, now it looks weird as if I've been writing for 3 years... so it may appear as if I was not participating. Sometimes I wondered if I should have started of with a different account. However you are right hubberscore can be worse than observing a volatile stock market. However focusing on quality Hubs is the key. Thanks janshares!

1. janshares profile image91
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)