Secu;ar vs. Judeo-Christian - What's Wrong With This?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 10 years ago

Is this assessment wrong?

"Everywhere I go folks ask me what has happened to their country. We have gone from a traditional country to a secular society where politically correct thought dominates, especially in the mass media.

It is quite clear that the founders based our justice system on Judeo-Christian tenets, which is why a sculpture of Moses holding the Ten Commandments adorns the Supreme Court building. But today you could never put Moses and the Commandments on a public wall anywhere, the secular progressives would scream.

Enter Jesus, the most famous human being who has ever lived. If you're a child attending a public school and living in a secular home, chances are you know little or nothing about Jesus because the schools are frightened to mention his name.

There's a big difference between philosophy and religion, and Jesus was a philosopher on this Earth. Some believed he was the messiah, others did not, but his message of brotherhood was philosophical.

Don't you think American kids should know the philosophy behind our justice system? No, secular progressives have wiped that out. Here's the bigger picture:

When you have a secular progressive society, behavior changes. Fewer judgments are made, more lenient criminal sentences handed out, abortion and drug use become more acceptable.

With a progressive president and a very left-leaning Democratic Party, you have an acceleration of secularism. The outcome is likely to be a much weaker nation with less discipline, less motivation, and less generosity because the secular religion preaches that it's all about 'me.'

"There is a new dogma, especially in our public schools," but it's a secular humanist dogma. Global warming and redefining marriage are the new dogmas, and most of the secularists have that world view. Jesus is about old-fashioned judgment, and they don't want to be judged!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Have we reached a point where having your actions judged is politically incorrect? Is that a good thing?

If the Judeo-Christian ideals said to be the foundation of our justice system were viewed as philosophical instead of religious - would they still be as wrong as they are proclaimed to be now?

ps. If it is not yet obvious - I think this assessment is spot on.

GA

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, our justice system is based on Nordic pagan beliefs. What do you think that little gavel stems from? It's Thor's hammer. (No, I'm not joking, either.)

GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... while I do understand that many of our judicial system principles are derivatives of English law, and I presume Nordic Paganism pre-dated the English, I suppose there may be some influences passed on.

Other than that I would be interested in hearing more from you on how our judicial system is based on Nordic Pagan beliefs. And the bit about Thor's hammer too.

Are you saying the Founding Fathers were Nordic Pagan followers, or admirers? Would you like to be more specific?

I must admit to a bit of skepticism.

GA

If I can find a link or two on the subject I'll post it, but it might be a while, I'm kind of busy today.

2. janesix profile image59

I couldn't really find any credible evidence for what I said. So I'll just attribute it to "something I heard some time" and say I am probably mistaken about it.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

GA

At least I admitted it. Right?

3. Silverspeeder profile image60
          Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

England exported English Common law and English Statute law to most parts of the British Empire, and many aspects of that system have survived after Independence or otherwise cessation of British rule. "English law" prior to the American Revolutionary Wars (American War of Independence) is still an influence on United States law, and provides the basis for many American legal traditions and policies. Many jurisdictions that have maintained the use of English Common law continue to incorporate modern developments of the Common law in England, and decisions from England are in many jurisdictions usually considered persuasive.

As we (England) have been invaded many times I am sure lots of laws have come from other sources including a huge swath from the Norman conquest

Also Gavel's have never been used in the English courts.

Yep, that's what I said too. You just added the details - thanks.

ps. That you folks don't use gavels did surprise me. Now I have to erase all those mental images of the bewigged English Magistrate wielding his hammer of authority. Oh well.

GA

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 10 years ago

GA - For what it is worth I completely agree with you.
    The PC police are ruining this country, and the "what about me" attitude prevails.  Hard work, dedication, and success are now things to be ashamed of.  To be willing to take risks to achieve more is now viewed as greed.
    We are making it easier and easier for those with little ambition to just stay home, watch TV and smoke dope than we make it for them to learn skills that would provide them a good living.
    Our school system just changes history to support their current teachings.  We have high school graduates who can barely read, write, or do simple math.
    If we could reverse this trend today it would take several generations to get this country back on track.

Good to hear from you again Old Poolman.

I am a bit concerned that it appears it is just us old fogies that hold that opinion. Are we right, or just clinging to a past we see as the good ol' days?

I say we are right, the pendulum has swung too far to the left. I also think you are right about it taking generations to moderate. So we better get started.

GA

3. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 10 years ago

What, no one has pegged the author of that "assessment" yet.

I admit to being surprised.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)