Is world peace possible? What ways can we achieve peace in the world?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (67 posts)
  1. deecoleworld profile image74
    deecoleworldposted 10 years ago

Is world peace possible? What ways can we achieve peace in the world? What does world peace mean to you?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A dream, nice but unreachable at this time in humanities development.  In another millenia, maybe, but not now.

deecoleworldposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about ways for the world to be more peaceful?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We should pray for world peace.  We should pray for our world leaders. We should pray for our country and we should have faith in God. Its God's world.
        TWISI

1. janesix profile image59
          janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

God hasn't done anything about it yet, why would he now?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Yes, He certainly Has! World conditions would be much worse if it wasn't for the Positive loving force of God holding together what we let go, undo, destroy, take for granted, deviate, disrespect and obliterate.

2. janesix profile image59

Maybe God wants us to do these things for ourselves. Make our own peace,and stand on our own feet.

3. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure about that? I have visions of very successful  global water treatment program that might do the trick - instead of introducing fluoride to protect teeth. we add liquid THC, (from Colorado of course), to mellow everyone out.

Think about it, do you remember any news stories about violent stoners?

Just sayin'

GA

Not violent stoners, but they are often lazy and don't care much about anything but getting stoned. Not great for society if you ask me.

Not sayin' much. THC is a drug and there are side effects. To joke about Pot is not funny.  Smoking the stuff is self induced mental retardation. Who the heck wants pot-induced peace. Not me.
          Should pregnant mothers be ingesting THC in any form?

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Oops, sorry... I guess. (but I did think it was damn funny relative to the reality of the expectations of the thread's topic)

I guess I picked the wrong door. Wilderness told me it was the second door on the right.

GA

It was kind of funny.

3. profile image56
          retief2000posted 10 years agoin reply to this

O wonder!
          How many goodly creatures are there here!
          How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
          That has such people in't.

Pass me the soma.

Soma (Sanskrit सोम sóma), or Haoma (Avestan), from Proto-Indo-Iranian *sauma:

"It was a Vedic ritual drink of importance among the early Indo-Iranians, and the subsequent Vedic and greater Persian cultures. It is frequently mentioned in the Rigveda, whose Soma Mandala contains 114 hymns, many praising its energizing qualities." Wikipedia

I think you have to do some time traveling to obtain it. Perhaps it would be a better option than THC, if we could only get some. We could add it to the e-cig water.

1. profile image56

Or, read "Brave New World."

Social critic Neil Postman contrasted the worlds of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World in the foreword of his 1985 book Amusing Ourselves to Death. He writes:

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Postman added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World

"In the book, soma is a hallucinogen that takes users on enjoyable, hangover-free "holidays". It was developed by the World State to provide these inner-directed personal experiences within a socially managed context of State-run "religious" organisations; social clubs. The hypnopaedically inculcated affinity for the State-produced drug, as a self-medicating comfort mechanism in the face of stress or discomfort, thereby eliminates the need for religion or other personal allegiances outside or beyond the World State."
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Oh my!
                  ... inner directed
                  ...socially managed context of State-run "religious" organisations
                  ,,,hypnopaedically inculcated affinity
                  ...self-medicating comfort mechanism...

Do you spend more than necessary for other things in life too?

Just sayin'

GA

2. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Outlaw greed and aggression could be a start. But that can't happen as some consider some greed and aggression as good.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's also way too relative for realistic use.  One person's "greed" is another's "necessity", and one's "aggression" is another's "self defense".

3. Rod Rainey profile image76
      Rod Raineyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My guess is we ought to educate ourselves and share what we learn with our children, friends, family or complete strangers.  If we want peace, we must strike at the roots of war.  Questioning everything will help to erode the stories which conceal war’s origins.  Once the roots are revealed, we must vehemently, collectively and consistently denounce them where ever their ugly heads rear.  It will not be quick or easy at all, but it’s not impossible. If we persist, our numbers will grow to a tipping point and the rest will follow.

Nice.

4. profile image56

Peace is achieved by destroying your enemies will to fight, there is no other path to peace.  Peace is a a condition following a war.  The notion of world peace means world control.  The only long term periods of general peace in the world was a consequence of hegemonic control by a super power. Pax Romana was a product of a massive Roman state whose military reach prevented any major wars.  It required a brutal enforcement of the law. Pax Americana was a product of the American military hyper-power following WWII and was marked by no major wars but many small regional ones.  With the fading of Pax Americana the world has become increasingly violent.  The brutal genocides in Rawanda, Congo and Darfur/Sudan demonstrate that, the little bit of peace an active American world presence produced, has come to an end.

World peace is as silly a fantasy as the end of want.

1. Rod Rainey profile image76

Oppression is not peace.

1. profile image56

There is no peace.

2. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 10 years ago

Gandhi had the answer.

If you want to achieve peace, BE PEACEFUL.
    Its that simple, and it starts with you!.

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Humans are naturally competative. They don't like "other" people taking over their lands, or just what's thiers. People will always be this way, as long as we are people. So, no , I don't think we can have lasting peace living as humans, as we do now.

People in a general sense aren't peaceful creatures.

deecoleworldposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about ways for the world to be more peaceful?

I don't know.

Maybe look into and study how peaceful societies work, and the reasons why, and try to emulate them.

The ones who follow the laws of nature. And respect life.
          Those who know Its God's world, Let Him have it and Follow His will.

Which ones are those, specifically?

Haven't a clue.  Guesses:  Australian aborigines? Indians in the jungles of South America? Hopi Indians of America?

Possibly. I don't know much about those cultures. I know they are getting too westernized probably, for their own good.

I thought maybe the Kung Bushmen at one point, but they have some abhorrent social customs. I'm not sure if those other cultures have the same types of customs or not.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Yep, all partakers of nature's bounty - pot, weed, ganja, Maryjane, uh, wait, I know there is some more. Oh yeah, the mushrooms. Yeah that's it, the Hopi were big on shrooms.

And wasn't it those South American Indians and their jungles where that psychedelic frog was discovered - you know, the one that gives you an LSD high if you lick its forehead.

And those Australian dudes, have you seen the pipes they smoke? They even have traditions and myths about it. They call it "Dreamtime" or "Dreamings" - a oneness of person, body, spirit, ghost, shadow, name, spirit site and totem.  Whoa man, they called the stuff pituri. They say It came from a shrub called the Duboisia hopwoodii, but it is probably just some cannabis relative. Good budders do look a lot like shrubs.

GA

ayahuasca or something like that?

Hi, GA. ( Or should I say, High! ) lol

2. sannyasinman profile image61
      sannyasinmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Human beings are NOT naturally competitive. They are naturally cooperative. Competitiveness is LEARNED behaviour, and this is drummed into us from an early age, and relentlessly from then on. 

You only have to watch children playing. They derive JOY simply from playing together. There is no concept of, or necessity to WIN anything.

What would the child you once were, think of the adult you have become?

I totally disagree. I don't think you know much about human beings. What planet are you from?

1. sannyasinman profile image61
          sannyasinmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Orion I think. How about you?

The greatest human beings, those who inspire us and touch our very essence, our deepest sense of humanity, were NOT competitive.
          Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha etc.

Surely that tells you something?
          We are conditioned to be competitive, to win, to be the best.

If you want to truly be the best, try being the best human being you can possibly be. Surely that is a tough enough competition for you?

"Orion I think. How about you?"

Orion is a constellation of stars. Not a planet.

"The greatest human beings, those who inspire us and touch our very essence, our deepest sense of humanity, were NOT competitive.
            Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha etc. "

Gandhi is the only real person on your list. My idol, actually. Better than me and you.

"Surely that tells you something?
            We are conditioned to be competitive, to win, to be the best. "

That tells me only that the majority of people are NOT Gandhis.

"If you want to truly be the best, try being the best human being you can possibly be. Surely that is a tough enough competition for you"

I try.

Peace is part of being a child.  I agree, Children are peaceful and they are cooperative. Then they grow up, darn it.

Yeah, right. Leave them alone for a couple hours, see what happens.

3. Rod Rainey profile image76

Humans are both cooperative and competitive to differing degrees by nature; our environment largely determines which we lean toward.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

God needs help holding it together. Each of us can get on the same page as God.

Why does God need help? Do you think God isn't omnipotent?

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

If your parents want the best for you… say , a peaceful life and tell you how to achieve it and even give you everything you need for a peaceful life and you don't listen, and instead destroy your peaceful existence then how can even your parents be peaceful?  How can God hold it together, (completely,) if we do not?

Q. If You were God in Heaven, what would Your will for mankind be?

Because God doesn't help people who don't even stand a chance. That's what I'm getting at. Not people like you and me who have the opportunity to make reasonable decisions. I mean mothers who have to watch their children die from starvation because someone withholds food from them, and things like that.

He has to stay on the meta (beyond) physical realm because he has given us free-will. (Or should I say, we have taken it.)

No matter what, he must let us reap our own consequences and learn from our own mistakes. Those mothers got pregnant when they shouldn't have. They will learn from their suffering.

Hopefully, others will help them through charitable donations. On the positive side, they will learn to appreciate others and learn to trust the world through the world's help. Hopefully, the world will step up to the challenge.

How can an infant learn from it's mistakes?

You seem to be forgetting that not everyone has the same opportunities that we do.

2. janesix profile image59

God tosses the criminals in with the innocents. How is that fair, or kind, or even useful to "learning" ?

Some choose to come here to teach others. Perhaps the soul of the infant came to help the mother and perhaps it was the soul's karma. That's why reincarnation must be taken into account.
            TWISI.

So you say.

You believe what you want to believe.

I can only take into account what can be proven, and there is no shred of evidence for reincarnation. Not a single thing. I'm no longer going to hope for fairy tales. I want the real world.

3. janesix profile image59

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Do you have any sympathy at all?

And that is a P. A. :
            "That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."
            Jesus talks about reincarnation.
            Yes, I have sympathy. So does God. He does not want us to suffer.

So does the Hindu religion. Doesn't make it real. Isn't proof.

YES IT DOES! who's side are you on????

The side of what's real. Whatever that is. So far, you haven't shown proof of anything. Just a lot of ideas.

Oh, yer on that side.
                    Gotcha.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Men and women need to control their sexual urges if we want world peace. That would be a great start in helping God hold this world together.
    Without enough money, without a home, without a committed relationship, without true love, let the souls in heaven continue to sleep in the arms of the angels!
    That would be a good show of sympathy!

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Stop pouring mercury into the environment. Why am I afraid to eat seafood?

Stop genetic-engineering of food. Why am I afraid to eat corn?

Stop with tainted immunizations which might be creating autism. Why am I so afraid my new infant grand son will become autistic due to being inoculated?

Stop with over-medicating people with pharmaceuticals when natural cures are much safer and permanent.
    Why am I afraid to go to movie theaters or school campuses? 

We are in an ever increasing un-peaceful world due to the insistence of unnatural practices/solutions.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Another Tip:
    Most diseases are caused by unnatural processed foods and an overabundance of eating them. If you want to be peaceful...
    Be healthy!  Eat right!  Vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, a little dairy, a little meat. Eat for energy. Not to satiate the senses.
    Exercise,  get fresh air and enjoy life!
    I agree that Peace does start with each of us.
    TWISI

9. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

For starters, to abstain voting in western countries (that way we will eliminate the leading parties to empower the elite, to create international coalitions that respond to people's needs (ALBA, CELAC, ASEAN...), to negate the self-centered presence and actions of the US, Europe and Israel in matters that ONLY concern foreign countries.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)