The Great Commission

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Anyone familiar with the Christian bible is aware that Christians have been called to "make disciples of all nations."  I am aware that the bulk of believers take this to mean that they are to witness to the power of Christ to save us from hell and to encourage everyone to embrace a relationship with him. 

If you are NOT a Christian, what does this mean to you?  I ask because I once heard a devout believer mention that there is no record in scripture of Jesus interacting with those who did not believe in God (agnostic or atheist).  Is it because we are not called to witness to everyone?  Are we called to witness to those who ask for a reason for our hope and to simply DO what we have been called to do in the hope that someone will open a door for us to witness to Christ in our life?  Would we be better off to simply encourage those who are already walking with Christ and truly effect the change in our life and our world that he hoped for, or are we truly expected by God to provide the proof of his existence to unbelievers?  If that is the case, why does he not provide the tools we need to do so easily?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It means that Christianity is a man made religion, and that the authors of the bible wanted to make sure the followers always sought out more recruits to keep the religion going.

Maybe, He doesn't exist. wink

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, given that you easily countenance the idea that no god (in this case, the Christian god) exists, would you prefer to simply be left alone about the issue or have someone attempt to prove the existence of God?  (Yeah, I'm kinda setting you up, but be nice...lol)

I would welcome any believer to justify the existence of their god, no matter if it be the Christian god or any other god. But, since all gods are mythological, there's really no point in it. They will always fail.

1. profile image0

I think we will always fail to prove it too.  But I don't know that he ever intended for us to try. 

I can prove, however, that my faith has changed me.  I can prove that I am a better person for believing.  I can prove that it has seen me through struggles I'd have never survived otherwise.  I can prove that when I've walked away from it, I've suffered tremendous grief and hardship with no sense of purpose.  Does that make faith such a horrible thing?

I'm quite sure you could have accomplished all that and much more without faith in a god. Faith in gods is very limiting and does not allow someone to fully realize their potential.

1. profile image0

Oh, I can agree in some instances, but I know my limitations.  smile  I'd have become a very bitter and very angry person in some instances, had I not had faith to sustain me.  Seriously.

I don't think so, considering you have faith in an invisible, undetectable being, you say you accomplished much, just think what you might accomplish if you had faith in something real.

1. profile image0

There is no need to have faith in what's real. wink

I trust in certain "real" things to help me along, and they often do.  I'm sort of a take it where you can get it kinda girl.  But faith is one of those tools that I've been given that has helped me to reach out when on my own, I'd have refused to do so.  It's moved me to do things that I most certainly didn't "feel" like doing.  That sorta thing.  And doing those things has made me better than I was before.

2. janesix profile image59
                janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You might have a point here, ATM. I think that faith really might limit someone's potential. It might be used as a crutch, or as an excuse to be closed-minded.

1. profile image0

I can agree with that to a point...in saying that immaturity (in faith or in general) can make that happen.  I have been through stages such as this as I've matured in faith.  I had to come to the understanding that I am who I am - whether I believe or don't.  I often rebel against the faith as a crutch idea as it basically says that faith makes life easier...but that is not the case.  It makes us look for a purpose for our struggles, IMO, rather than just accepting it as random circumstances. 

I have many...many, many, many...difficult circumstances in my life.  I have finally stopped railing against the unfairness of it all and begun to embrace them as opportunities for growth, both as a person and as a believer.

Oh, and, guys, thank you so much for being so reasonable about this discussion. I really appreciate it. smile

1. janesix profile image59

"have many...many, many, many...difficult circumstances in my life.  I have finally stopped railing against the unfairness of it all and begun to embrace them as opportunities for growth, both as a person and as a believer."

I like this statement. I'm not quite there yet. I'm glad you are:) I would love to be at this point. I can see it, but can't quite reach it yet. You are an inspiration.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the Bible tells Christians that they have to proselytize, since there are many denominations that don't.  To my memory, I've never had a Lutheran or Methodist come to my door with pamphlets, but I have plenty of Jehovah's Witnesses. Are Lutherans less Christian than JWs? Perhaps according to JWs they are. I think it all depends on the particular denomination and how they spin the Bible.

1. profile image0

I agree that we are not called to proselytize.  I think witnessing and evangelism (personally) mean something entirely different.  I don't see a need to knock on doors, pass out tracts, preach on street corners or online forums.  I do believe that I am called to live a life as close to the model of Christ as I am able, but to only actually discuss the issue if invited to do so.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the real definition of both witness and testimony needs to be looked at.  A witness is someone who is ASKED about their experiences. The testimony is a response to those questions asked. Neither is given without someone else asking to hear.

In short, if nobody asked you, you shouldn't be talking smile

1. profile image0

Uh huh.

2. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In short.   If somebody would look back through the good comments such as this one putt them all together,  ...   You would have a good book that everyone would need to read.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Then what other interpretation would you give to Matthew 28:19

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

One could, I suppose, suggest that the translation 'make disciples' comes from the words teach and baptize--thus only relating to those who come forth and ask for it--but it seems a stretch.

1. profile image0

And that's where I really wonder.  It just seems so contrary to who Jesus is to believe that he wants us to go and force faith on someone for fear of hell or retribution.  And ... Can't we do what he did and share with those who seem interested and leave the rest of the world alone?  A God as powerful as we Christians believe ours to be will surely lead people to faith in his time...do we need to force the issue?

*Edit-and Jesus commanded us to love God and our neighbor.  We can't teach that better by example than anything else?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would hope so.  But I have always preferred the Quaker approach to these things.  I have known two Quakers from completely different countries but they were both the very best kind of human being. It almost makes me wonder if they are onto something.

1. profile image0

Can I share something silly?  I took a "What kind of Christian Are You?" Quiz on belief.net (twice!).  Apparently my most dominate Christian traits are Quaker...lol

2. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not Christian and was not raised such, so I don't know what they believe the Bible tells them to believe or how to act.  I can only relate my experience that I've never been bothered by certain denominations, while others have been annoyingly aggressive in their evangelism.  That leads me to believe that different sects interpret things differently, and put different levels of importance on different passages.  The OP was directed at non-Christians, this is my answer.

1. profile image0

Primarily at non-Christians, yes, although I welcome any responses.  smile

3. profile image49
      idealisticposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a question. In the beginning of Luke 15, Jesus was eating with "tax collectors and sinners". Is it unreasonable to think that maybe some unbelievers would be among those sinners?

1. profile image0

Not at all.  I have a feeling though that he wasn't evangelizing or forcing talk of religion on any of them.  That he was a man of known holiness who engaged with them without preaching, judging - that as such he didn't shun them and treat them like they were "less than" is what made them want to be in his company. 

My issue isn't that one shouldn't share their faith if they truly feel led - but let someone really see who you are and wonder what makes you different. IMO, service and kindness, compassion and non judgment are real evangelism. People tune out what they don't want to hear.

1. profile image49

I agree. If a Christian wants to make believers of others, the best way is not to talk about the life, but simply live it

2. profile image49

I agree with that.  It does seem that some do not realize that in their efforts to scare (or evangelize) others into becoming Christians, their approach is actually doing the opposite

2. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 10 years ago

Christ lives and still appeals to us with his "Follow me" and his admonition to be "even as I am."  Spreading the Gospel may mean different things to different people, and be done in every different tongue and nation.  Doing so is as simple as sharing God's command to love Him with heart, mind, and soul; and, our neighbor as ourselves, as Christ illustrated with the parable of the good Samaritan.  It is not critical how we do that, only that we do it.

1. profile image0

On one hand, I agree completely.  But it's the "sharing the command" part that's unsettling for me.  Verbally?  With tracts?  Or solely by example?

1. Perspycacious profile image62
        Perspycaciousposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Those two commandments were cited as the great commands, encompassing all the law and the prophets.  They were given to a man asking what is the great commandment in the law, and what must he do to inherit eternal life.  Would you speak to a neighbor?  Would you give a neighbor something to read, if you thought it would benefit her?  Certainly you would be an example as opposed to being a hypocrite.  The printing press had yet to be invented, so there were no tracts at that time, but once it was in use Bibles could be printed and the plowboy could read the scriptures for himself and for his family.  Now the invention of the computer allows you the freedom to express yourself in this modern way, but actions are still needed for Christ's message to reach all mankind in keep with what has been called "The Great Commission."  We can discuss, but more importantly we can do.  Your choice and mine, but do.

1. profile image0

The two greatest commands are to love God and to love each other.  The Great Commission is altogether different.  If I choose to do those two things, but choose not to witness with words, in any way, I am still obeying God, am I not?  I think you and I are pretty much on the same page here. smile

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Part of my point is that the discussion of God between one who believes, or who is open to belief, is entirely different than with someone who doesn't.  And Jesus really didn't give any examples for how to encounter and proceed with those who didn't believe - so maybe as Christians, we ought not engage in faith based conversations with those folks.  Seems like a less than necessary goal.

Don't misunderstand. You and others with whom I engage in conversation are hugely important to me, but convincing you of God's existence isn't.  It's not an ulterior motive in talking with you or being interested in you.  I just happen to like you. I also happen to love and consider family others who are not believers.  We discuss matters of faith occasionally, but not to the end that I'm attempting to convert.

1. WiccanSage profile image91
      WiccanSageposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think that Jesus led by example, not by coercion. Therein lies the difference.

If a religion is really true, it doesn't need to use sales tactics. Followers need only be a living example of it's teachings to help others see and understand the truth in that way of life.

1. profile image0

I am in love with the points made in both of your posts.  This is something I often have a hard time explaining to Christian brothers and sisters.  Prior to embracing Christianity, I had the same experiences and absolutely hated it!  Thank you so much for being honest. smile

1. WiccanSage profile image91

I have nothing but respect for Christians like you, who live your faith rather than trying to use it as a weapon and trap to score some imaginary points.

1. profile image0

I try.  It's a two-edged sword, sometimes.  Some feel it's unchristian and that my faith isn't secure and that I am ignoring the real call of Christ...to be liked.  Others feel like no matter what I DO, it's going to be tainted forever the instant I say I'm a Christian.  But it's the only honest way for me to be. 

The woman who introduced me to the Jesus I know is an evangelical fundamental, charismatic, spirit-filled believer of the snake handling, tongue speaking variety...we couldn't be MORE different.  She loves me like crazy, and I return the affection.  But you know what she said to make me a believer?  Absolutely nothing.  She just acted as much like Jesus as she could-all the time.  And I wanted what she had.

Years later, I'm so grateful to have paid attention.

smile

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I am not a Christian myself--but I still think the meaning or universality of 'the great commission' must be effected by the text of the commission itself.

5. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

Since you asked for the opinion of non-Christians, I will throw in my 2 cents before even reading other responses here. I think proselytizing is an institutional gimmick, and the height of arrogance.

It's a gimmick because it reminds me of, like, spam. Like someone getting a high-pressure salesman job and the high-pressured salesman training drilling it into them that they need to go out and recruit friends. "You'll be doing them a favor!" they might say, and true the new salesman who is all idealistic about his situation might think so, but the real reason behind it is the company wants more sales to benefit the company-- not to do anyone any favors.

I think it's arrogant-- and I do mean soul-sucking arrogance -- because the proselytizer has to go into it with a POV of superiority and without regard for the other person's most profound understandings of life. To me it'd be the equivalent of someone coming in and telling you that you should disown your spouse or family because they really suck, you just never knew it. It's telling you all the most meaningful experiences you've had with them are purely an illusion, and they don't really care about you after all.

There's nothing wrong with talking about religion to people who want to know about it, but trying to convince others who don't even ask that their relationships with their Gods are completely phony because your experience is different - I can't think of anything more vain, condescending and rude.

I find it wrong and deeply, deeply offensive.

1. Perspycacious profile image62

Then simply say "I'm not interested" and that person you describe as "vain, condescending, and rude" will move on to someone potentially more receptive of what they lovingly want to share.

1. profile image0

Do you really believe that?  That rarely happens.  I've been a practicing Catholic since my adult commitment to Christ 18 years ago.  People of evangelical denominations still witness to me.  And continue to do so even when I tell them that I know Jesus and have a personal relationship with him and have been baptized....yada, yada, yada.  I'm a Christian and they don't leave me alone.  Do you have any idea how persistent they can be with someone who doesn't believe or says they aren't interested.  People don't want to hear it.  So, I think it falls on us Christians then to SHOW them Christ.

1. janesix profile image59

How do you show someone Christ? Do you mean, to act and behave in a Christlike manner?

1. profile image0

Yes, ma'am.  That is exactly what I mean.  smile

2. Perspycacious profile image62

Showing the joy of Christianity is surely every Christian's responsiblity and it creates opportunities to witness by behaving correctly.  Being demanding of another's time is not treating a neighbor as you want to be treated.  We all have room for improvement and improving as we grow into the full stature of our Christianity. I, for one, hope to keep trying to do so.

1. profile image0

I just think it's something that we shouldn't approach people about.  They should see something unique in us that makes them want to know what's happening.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Christian evangelists have never shown any joy of Christianity. They only show how incredibly disrespectful, rude and arrogant they have become as a result of Christianity.

3. WiccanSage profile image91

So all Muslims should start sharing the joy of Allah with you? And all Hindus should start sharing the joy of Brahma? And all Asartru should start sharing the joy of Frey and Freya with you? And all Dianic Witches should start sharing the joy of the Goddess with you?

When are you going to start scheduling appointments so you can allow others the opportunity to be loving to you.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

There's nothing "lovingly" in the actions of an evangelist, it is selfishness.

As well, we are tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry evangelist telling us we need Jesus and having to tell each and every one of them, "I'm not interested."

So, how many times are we supposed to tell Christian evangelists that so they just keep it to themselves?

3. WiccanSage profile image91

It's not "loving" -- it's selfish, vain, arrogant, egocentric and short-sighted. Not to mention reeks of one's own spiritual insecurities.

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

Personally, i don't think Christians are supposed to evangelize. I think, their actions should be witness to their faith. A life well lived, an existence truly at peace, is a powerful statement. To love your neighbor as yourself would be something worth others hoping to emulate. More powerful than the gloom and doom preaching. But, everyone wants to be an apostle and, unfortunately, they model themselves after Paul. The first of the whiny believers who had an insecure need to be validated.

1. profile image0

LOL

Emile, I like that.  Paul sure had his good points, not the least of which was amazing faith and dedication, but even he admitted to having his own struggles.

You made the biggest point in that we should be modeling ourselves on Jesus.  Not Paul, or Peter, or David, or Abraham, or anyone else.  Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)