How many writers here on Hubpages are making a living writing here?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. GlendaGoodWitch profile image88
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 10 years ago

If you still have a day job, is Hubpages providing substantial support?

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No. But I have yet to write the other 300 hubs. At present, it can best be described as a little pocket money.

2. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Starting to pick up now, as my hubs are seasonal (pool stuff). this week last year I was making about a dollar fifty per day. but this week it has been over 3 dollar per day. last year in June and July I was making about $12 per day. I expect that to at least double this year. not too bad for only 33 hubs.

1. yougotme profile image89
        yougotmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's pretty fantastic! Those are great figures.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

I make a living writing online.... But not all here on HP.....

HP is a great place to start and is the first place that I really started to earn (and still do) but if you want to make a living you will need your own sites. HP has its limitations but in my mind it is still the best revenue sharing site you can use (Please just add the bonus payment to the usual paypal address thanks HP.)

Trying to use just one site like HP will leave you very vulnerable to the whims of Google, I am earning maybe 25% of what I was earning here 2 years ago. But my own sites are going from strength to strength..

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you monetize your own sites, and are those blogs?

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

None. However a few cover their bills or rent.

I'd hazard a guess that top earners on the site gross less than $15,000 a year right now.

Once upon a time, before all the pandas and penguins, I know some people were earning up to 3-4,000 a month. However those days are gone. You need lots of income sources now.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. You need your eggs in lots of baskets now.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

3. kaiyan717 profile image85
      kaiyan717posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, diversify.  However, as one of my streams of income, I have been doing alright.  This year started with a bang and a couple million views, so I feel a bit happier with my decision a few years ago to sign-up.  Hubpages adsense has been a life saver, love the program.  Finally got Google to pay off for a few hundred, after three years lol.  Write what you love, if others love it, off it goes on social media.  Happy Hubbing guys!

4. lorddraven2000 profile image92
    lorddraven2000posted 10 years ago

I make a little cash here but I am not as active as I couold be on increasing that earning potential.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Whatever HP money I earn goes to my "CDs and beer" fund. If I were depending on it for a living, I'd be in a cardboard box down by the river by now.

1. literal profile image71
      literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Haha

6. akhildev143 profile image75
    akhildev143posted 10 years ago

Well.. I think around 600-700$ monthly will be enough to live here in India.. Many are making this amount from HP.. with 500 hubs and some sales bringing in from them, we can also get there.. if you spend at least 5 hours daily, you can reach 500 hubs in a year..(based on my rough calculations.. )

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

No. I knew going in that earnings would not be substantial. My earnings are meant to supplement what I make during the day with my business. My goal is to get monthly payout to fill my premium gas tank. I would be very happy with that. smile

8. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 10 years ago

If $10 is a living, then yes!

9. robhampton profile image93
    robhamptonposted 10 years ago

I need to write a hub about it because so many people wonder how. Briefly though, CONTENT for sure. I've found that trade industry articles do well. (Electritions are expensive as are plumbers, auto mechanics,and sometimes pool service. People search on how they can save money. TITLES. If you look at the titles of some of my hubs, some of them might seem a little garbled but for a reason. I've used the title tuner as well as google analytics to find out what keywords were most recently used to find my sight. Included as many as possible in my titles without sounding totally stupid. Combination of hubs are averaging around 3000 hits/week

10. robhampton profile image93
    robhamptonposted 10 years ago

Correction: Most frequently used, that is, not "recently"

11. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 10 years ago

I have yet to reach a single payout. But not holding my breath for it either. You almost have to have hundreds of hubs to earn anything here.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have 63 and hit payout monthly wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me too

@brimancandy... 33 hubs, payout every month

12. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Earning from Internet writing has never been what is was before Google yanked the rug out from under it two years ago.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep, another party I was late to. Story of my life.

The last major update killed me, but it has come back strong.  Still getting first page on google with very general keyword searches

13. misslong123 profile image82
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

I must say I've been disappointed with my earnings. When I started I was pleased with $1/day. Then I buckled down in hopes of making more than that - focusing on keywords, original pictures, better layout, following the advice of experts and the learning center and instead of seeing growth I saw a major decline! I used to whip out whatever when I started. Now I carefully spend a week making a quality hub but my earnings are well less than $20/month. I don't understand why.

14. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 8 years ago

I have been here for over three years, and I have yet to earn $100.00

1. kaiyan717 profile image85
      kaiyan717posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You really have to build a base of articles first. 12 isn't going to cut it. Though one article may go viral, chances are low. Even good articles can only bring in so much. Average your views monthly by rate and add a zero. Then you start making more. It quantity on these sites, for me anyways.

Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is also about knowing what to write about. Write an article about every subject that interests you. Then sit back and see which ones get the most traffic. Start writing as many hubs as you can think to write about the subject that gets  the most.

Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to add. Learn as much as you can about using keywords and then don't overdo it.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image92
          Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed it's a long arduous trial and error process that can take months if not years to figure out. You have to find that perfect balance of writing what you enjoy, what will bring in traffic, and how it'll progress into the future.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your profile is showing only 12 Hubs. I'm sure you have many more than that, so that means your other Hubs are all "unFeatured", which means they're invisible to Google, which means they are not able to attract readers and earn money.   You need to get working on those.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)