And the Jehovah's Witnesses?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

We seem to have exhausted all other religions that we could possibly fight about. So just asking is all...

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poor Jehovah's witnesses.  Two come to my house the other day.  It was 100+ degree weather and they were in their Sunday best.  That takes a strong conviction and belief.  My dog ran them off.  I wasn't interested in their spiel, but I had to feel for them.  Their religion teaches that only a certain amount of people will go to heaven.  That would make it hard for me to go door to door in hellish heat.  God bless these two people, though.  I hope they are two that make it to heaven.

2. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

I wonder why Jehovah's witnesses come to your home with those little books. They always seem to come at the most inopportune times and get angry when you have no time to listen. Two came while my husband and I were having sex. The knocks at the door were demanding so we stopped to answer.

When my husband told them we were very busy, they were angry and thought us to be heathens. What nerve!

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

We have Jeromeo here. They are not active lately, but Sandy should know their whereabouts, they are friends. smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually his elders got word of him participating and asked him to not. sad

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious?

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. He still writes a hub every now and again but as far as the forums go...

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hysterical!!!

4. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I had an irritating experience with them one day.  I'd literally just come home from the hospital after giving birth to my first child, we had family in town, I felt awful, etc...  Had the baby blues and could barely stop crying.  They knocked furiously, I reluctantly answered the door, saw the books, knew who they were.  Politely, I told them I couldn't talk right now, explained I'd just walked in the door from the hospital.  They had the audacity to tell me there's no excuse for not taking the time to hear them out.  COME ON!

Get a dog!  It works like a charm.

That's what I used to do -- let the dogs out -- until I started a new job, and one of my co-workers was a JW. When she invited me to her wedding, I was really afraid that I might run into a few of those people my dogs had run off m property! smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep... gotta watch out for the cycle!

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I used to live near a JW meetingplace/hall/church/whatever, and they came to our door in droves. Not so much anymore. Maybe a dying breed?

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I haven't seen them in years now, come to think of it.

6. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Ha ha. JW. Kinda cool name for them. Back in my crazy youth, I used to invite them in just to argue our heads off! In my madman days. Hey, you gotta give them props though. I mean, they go from door to door, and you never know what murdering-christian-hating psycho lurking behind the doors...

You give them props for banging on people's doors. From my POV, they would come to the door, make the dogs freak out and wake the babies (back in the day) and ALL THE TIME! So, by your reasoning, getting ticked off at spam is okay but not at intruding hoardes of JW's? Fess up... are you a JW?

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha Ha. Do I seem like the type. If I was JW I would be excommuniwhazitzname, and fast too! Cos if anyone gave me a hard time, after I may have walked under the scorching heat, just to talk to ya - I would punch him!

excommuniwhazitname... I love it. LMAO... and I hate text talk... so you know I am really laughing my arse off.

1. profile image0

My head's full of crazy stuff like that.

Now I'm sooooooooooooooo sad............ I thought you would have crossed the Mojave desert for me...

Did me saying I'm not 'hot' have a li ttle, bitty sumptin to do with that? smile  Am I sensingjust a wee bit of prejudice?  smile

1. profile image0

Babe you dont know what the hell you talking...dont know any mojave desert, but i would cross the friggin Sahara for your Sweetness. Now that's saying something.

7. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

They are nuts.

8. tjmatel3 profile image59
    tjmatel3posted 14 years ago

What's most interesting about JW's is their commitment and dedication. They have a declared goal and they are bent on completing it.  Maybe we could learn something from their work ethics - if you will.

Yes we could.  It is 100+ degrees and they're out in my neighborhood.  I felt bad for them.  They were dressed up, also. That takes dedication.

Here are their "goals" (and I only know this because I've been to a few 'JW' weddings...)

'The man's job is to love the woman. The woman's job is to serve the man and make him happy.'

Yuppers. Sounds like Islam to me.

9. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

My take on JW is to open my blinds in the front of the house, play loud music, and count the number of times they ring my doorbell........... I do not deal with cults.....

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

The "ones" who used to show up at my house all the time were very nice and polite, but they were showing up more and more often.  I'd always tell them, "I don't discuss my faith with anyone."  They came more and more often, so I stopped answering the door at all.  They'd yank open the storm door and leave their little magazine.   One day I had just had enough, so I crumpled up the little book, marched out to their car, and stuck it in their windshield.  That ended the door-knocking.

I felt bad because I know it's what they believe (going around and talking up their beliefs); but the other side of it is they didn't respect my having expressed to them that I wasn't interested.  I had tried to be "polite, polite, polite" - but in the end it was rudeness that got them to buzz off.

1. fishmox profile image61
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is absolutely NOTHING in the Bible that describes evangelism, whether from "born agains" or JW's as going house to house and distributing pamphlets.
      All the preaching is to be done in church, and it is the Holy Spirit who will add to a church.

I used to be one of those who would go out street preaching in the Philippines (where I am from, originally) and we were just an inch shy of those we've read about protesting soldier's funerals, Fred something or other what the hell is his name ?

Until I realized the stupidity of playing Holy Spirit, because I am not the Holy Spirit, and Jesus came and done what He was supposed to do, and I can't save anymore than Jesus has already saved.

So, if people want to remain in unbelief, as far as I am concerned, they're welcome to it.

I like discussing doctrine, that's why I'm in this "religion" forum (which is turning out not to be a religion forum of those interested in religion), but I'm not here to push Jesus on anyone.

He don't need no help from this upstart.

Besides, as a friend of mine said, "ya'll kin preach yaself hoase and lose your voice tot'ly, and people, they don't give no rat's behin' 'bout nuthin' ya'll say.  they gon' buhlieve what ey'all wan' buhlieve til they'all a-starin' the devil himself in the face."

(pooh !! chewin' tobacco spat out).

1. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol That's funny but true.

Even though I don't agree with all they say you gotta give the JWs credit.  I wouldn't want to go door to door.

It is better to be hated for what you are then to be loved for what you are not.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel bad for them in one way, which is why it took me so long to finally make them stop bothering me.  I wouldn't want to go around and try to get people of different, or no, religions listen to what I had to say. Some people think people's faith should be a private, sacred, thing between them and their God; and that it's arrogant for any human to think they have an "edge" in this area.  Some think they're supposed to copy what Jesus did, and go around preaching. The trouble is that the second kind of people are bothering everyone else, and I think it can be arrogant to assume that other people's beliefs must be wrong and ours have to be "the only way".  So in that way, I don't feel bad for JW's at all.  There's an arrogance to their approach.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

There is only one response to people who come to my door trying to convert me into their religion (regardless of their faith)....

I simply reply with:

"Oh thank God your here, please come in, I'm so horny!"

That is hilarious! I'll have to remember that one! smile

2. profile image49
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol that is so funny, but the funniest thing is how people cry out for God when they are dying. Even in the worst moments of the Irish Troubles dying I.R.A members cried for their last rites. I wonder will you be still horny if a doctor tells you, you have cancer !

1. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought most people called for their mothers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)