Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has been confirmed to play a DC character

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

According to various sources, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is in agreement with Warner Bros. to play an undisclosed character in their upcoming "Batman vs. Superman" movie, but it's unclear what that part is pray tell.  What is certain though is that he claims the character he's playing has never been played by in live action before, and he'll be a total bad a** character too.  This leads us to wonder...who do think he'll be playing?

1. AnastasiaMcGowan profile image61
      AnastasiaMcGowanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I heard that possibly he would be playing Green Lantern (john stewart) but I hope not because he doesn't really feel like John Stewart to me. I know that they have casted someone to play Victor Stone in "Batman vs. Superman" so that will be interesting. What is your take on Ben Affleck playing Batman and Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, Ben was the last guy in the world that I ever would've imagined playing Batman simply because he even said it himself that he was done playing any superhero roles after daredevil, so it was a bit of a shock.  However, i think he'll do a great job, and possibly even surpass Bale in the role.

As much as I loved the nolan batman movies, the big thing that wasn't present about batman's character was that he wasn't that much of a detective in the movies, and it always seemed like Bruce wayne was hiding something whenever he put on that playboy fascade.  Granted, I know that's not Bale's fault because it was the way his character was written, but I do think that there's a possibility that Affleck might turn out to be the best batman that we've ever seen.  I mean the guy is arguably one of the biggest batman fans ever, as he even modeled a part of his old house after the batcave shown on tv in the 60's. 

Plus, I've been hearing that he's been working out like crazy since being cast, and I like the idea that he might have some influence on where the next film will go.  I mean Zack Snyder is a very collaborative director, so it wouldn't surprise me if him and Affleck spit ball ideas off each other.  I mean they already got the writer from Argo helping with the script, and even though i can't prove it, but I think Affleck might've had something with bringing him in.  If anything, I think Affleck is going to surprise people as batman...providing the movie doesn't suck...

As far as Gal Gadot, I can't really comment on her because I'm not familiar with most of her work.  I only saw one Fast and Furious film, and I don't even remember her being in it.  Was she in Fast Five?  If she was, then i guess i didn't notice her.

Although i do think fans that say she can't play wonder woman because of her height, lack of muscles and small breasts need to grow up.  First of all, you can make anyone look like a giant or a midget in a film; regardless of how tall they are in real life.  Look at the hobbit. You really think all those hobbits are that short in real life?  No, they use trick photography, and they can always use heighteners in her shoes to give the audience the impression she's taller.

As for her lack of muscles, here's an easy answer...um she can work out, which im sure she probably is doing as we speak.  As for the size of her breasts, well she can either stuff her bra full of tissue, or use a wonder bra.  Or heck, she can do both if she wants, as any fan that uses that as a complaint on why she can't be wonder woman is an idiot that doesn't know what they're talking about.

However, one thing that does concern me about her is her acting ability, and whether she can carry a film.  I mean let's face it.  If she plays wonder woman, you know that wb is planning on using her for a future solo film, so the question is can her acting ability carry her own stand alone movie?

Like I said, I'm not familiar with her work, but I have heard that she's not that great of an actress; which bothers me because if she's not that great of an actress, then how can we expect her to carry her own film someday?  That's the thing that worries me about her casting, but we'll have to wait and see.  what about you?  what do you make of those casting choices?

I am not a great fan of Ben Affleck just because I don't think he is believable in some of the roles he plays, he isn't someone that looks like he can be intimidating or command people like Batman does, Batman is confident and you can see that in how he interacts with the others, but there is that chance of Affleck being amazing and like you said he might be better than Bale.
          As for Gal Gadot I am concerned about her acting ability and her look, she doesn't look like Wonder Woman, she doesn't look like she can fight, and in my opinion she is a little then which is not a problem normally but she is playing a tough woman who can take down men and i know she can work out to get stronger and to gain muscle but she will still have a little frame because she is natural thin, I did like her in Fast Five though, she was kind of forgettable but she was not terrible,  and she is pretty and I'm sure she will be able to capture Wonder Woman's elegance.

1. profile image0

I can see what you're saying about Ben Affleck not looking like he can be intimidating, but a lot of people said the same thing about Michael Keaton back in the 80's.  Heck, if you watch him in all his other roles, he's never been known to be an intimidating guy, yet in a lot of ways, he was arguably the perfect choice to play batman.  He could play both sides of the coin very well, and you'd never suspect in a million years that his bruce wayne was batman, as he sold you on the idea that they were different personas, but still made it believable enough they were the same guy if that makes any sense.

But, I could be wrong.  Maybe affleck won't do a great job as Batman, but I think he'll prove a lot of people wrong because he knows how much is at stake in this film.  Plus, he even admitted that the only reason he took the daredevil part was because he thought that wb would never cast him to do batman, and now he's finally playing his dream role, so im sure that's going to be a lot of motivation for him to get this part right.

As far as Gal Gadot goes, I remember reading somewhere that she once served in the Israeli Army.  Of course that might not mean anything, as she might've just signed paperwork during her service for all we know, but she does have a military background, so maybe that counts for something? 

To be honest, I'm more worried about the script for this movie than anything else.  I mean how many characters are going to be in this film?  It seems like whenever we hear about the new "Batman vs. Superman" movie, we keep hearing about all these other dc characters showing up which is starting to worry me about how much of an emphasis there will actually be on story and developing these characters.  I'm hoping my concerns won't be justified, and most of these characters will just be cameos, but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edit:  I do apologize if my last post offended you though because ever since I heard about the Wonder Woman casting, all I've read is all these fanboys complaining about her breast size that it just gets kind of annoying after awhile.

1. profile image0
              hlwarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm worried about the script, too. I mean, when this was first announced it was "Man of Steel II". And then it became "Batman vs. Superman". And what the heck, now there's Wonder Woman and Cyborg! Having to include so many superhero cameos seems like way too much. (Which was my main problem with the first "Man of Steel", being way too much.)

And then there's the villain(s) and their agenda(s). They have to introduce Lex Luthor, but with both Superman and Batman it can't simply be Luthor alone; there's got to be some strong-arm. (Everyone is saying Doomsday, however I'm thinking Metallo might be better.) Makes me wonder, will we see other future antagonists put in cameos too? They're really over-casting this movie and I'm afraid the story and character depth is going to suffer from it.

I'm starting to think Warner is going to jump the gun, bypass this sequel, and just create the JLA movie instead. Already seems to be heading in that direction, adding so many of their heavy-hitters...

1. profile image0

Well like I said, we'll have to wait and see, as a lot of it depends on the script.  You can have a lot of characters in almost any film, as long as the script is good.  Take a look at the Lord of the Rings movies.  There's a lot of characters in those films, yet it doesn't feel watered down in the slightest.  Maybe if you compare it to the book series, but not on it's own merit.

I think batman vs superman has the potential to be great.  from what it sounds like so far, they could be over thinking things.  I for one don't mind them delaying the movie another year if it means we'll get a better quality film. 

Plus, we have to keep in mind that just because they cast Ray Fisher to play Victor Stone, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll turn into cyborg during "batman vs. superman."  I mean dr. connors was in all three of raimi's spider-man trilogy, yet we never saw him turn into the lizard, so we'll have to wait and see.  I mean for all we know he might only have a brief five minute cameo as victor to set up his character to turn into cyborg later on in a future movie.

Edit:  As far as villains go, I do agree with you that they'll need more than just lex to take on batman and superman.  Personally, I'd love to see Metallo get introduced, while leaving an easter egg to set up Brainiac for a future movie.

1. profile image0
                  hlwarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, we'll just have to wait and see, especially now that the JLA movie is officially following on its heels. My only issue with including a lot of characters is whether or not they're included intelligently, or if they're thrown in for the sake of being there, to entice fans. (Though it's safe to say now any cameos will have a follow-up purpose.)

And the difference with the Lord of the Rings movies is that they were taken from well organized books, structured into a solid continuity. And it was a trilogy of films. Comics tend to lack structure, stories changing with writers and series; and after so many reboots, DC lacks strong continuity. So unfortunately it's easier to mess up, create a mish-mash of characters within a poor story, just by trying to include so much from the universe.

And funny you should say that. My first thought watching "Man of Steel" was actually that it should have been a trilogy like the Lord of the Rings, because then all the backstory and world-building could have been further developed.

I was excited for "Batman vs. Superman" because I always appreciated the relationship those two had together. And then I was okay with a Wonder Woman cameo. But now that it is for certain a build-up for the Justice League, I'm once again worried it will be much too much.

2. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I'm not really sure who he would be playing. Maybe an updated version of the Riddler? Dr Frost??...or maybe the Scarecrow.....I really wasnt found of the whole Ben Affleck as Batman either, but after recently seeing him in Runner,Runner, where he played a very convincing bad ass bad guy.....I think he will be ok.

3. profile image0
    hlwarposted 10 years ago

Well, my first thought was Darkseid because Johnson was quoted as saying: "The third thing and most important is that he had to be a badass mother***ker and on a Superman level of power where he could throw down."

However, his initial criteria was: "The first quality we were looking for is that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on..." Not really something I'd associate with Darkseid's personae.

The article also claimed Johnson was discussing his ideas with writers, almost like trying to sell his character, which sounds to me that he was looking for his own DC movie with his personally picked character. Maybe he'll cameo in Zack Synder's next film to introduce this "never before attempted live-action" superhero to audiences?

He already denied the John Stewart rumors on Twitter, saying it was not Green Lantern because GL's been adapted already. (But I'd see him choosing Guy Gardner over Stewart anyhow!)

Looking at his qualities and previous work, I might consider Captain Marvel/Shazam. Not sure who else could give Superman the beat down? Some folks were guessing Red Tornado or Martian Manhunter, but I'm not sure they fit the bill of his requirements. Several other guesses might be Aquaman, Hawkman, or Captain Atom.

Not sure if he's considering antagonists, but I think he'd make a cool Vandal Savage. Everyone else says Black Adam and Lobo, which I could see too.

4. AnastasiaMcGowan profile image61
    AnastasiaMcGowanposted 10 years ago

wow those are all good choices I had not considered before, he'd be good at either hawkman or vandal savage.

1. profile image0

Thanks! There's just so many DC characters to choose from. XD ^^ But I assume The Rock would go for someone more popular, and I personally don't see DC giving the green light for a lesser known character anyway.

However, I read another article which pointed out Guillermo del Toro's "Justice League Dark" film, and the idea that perhaps Johnson's character could springboard from there. So maybe Swamp Thing? Or better yet, Jason Blood/Etrigan, that might be more viable considering Johnson's criteria and physique.

Oh wow if Guillermo does that movie it is going to be phenomenal.  wow Jason Blood/ Etrigan i really did not think of, these are characters i can see him playing, when I first heard that he was in talks with DC i was thinking that there isn't any he could play and i was truly hoping he wasn't going to play John Stewart, but I kind of like the fact that maybe he could be a villain like black adam or even the guy dr. strange fights, I can't think of his name at the moment.

1. profile image0

I'm a huge fan of Constantine so I'm interested in seeing del Toro's adaption, even though I think his Spanish films are much better than his Hollywood contributes. Still, I hope it goes through because I'm all for darker superheroes!

Yeah, not a fan myself of The Rock, but certainly comic characters exist that he could portray believably. Although already live-action, I'm still leaning towards Captain Marvel, just thinking about all the badass and family films he's starred in; I can see him portraying a "big kid" and acting with a 12 year old co-star. I love the Captain and Shazam kids so hopefully if this is the character the film won't suck too badly... (Should be noted they were already discussing the Shazam film years back and the rumor started he would be Black Adam; whether or not he's hinting at the same character remains to be seen.)

I wouldn't want him as John Stewart either (and I really think Guy finally deserves a theatrical nod) but considering all the other changes done in casting for "Man of Steel" it's not outlandish to consider.

Dr. Strange is Marvel Comics, right? Not sure the villain since I don't really follow those.

5. profile image53
    tlmntim9posted 10 years ago

My God who cares! Get a life!

6. profile image53

7. profile image53

if you don't care what was the point in commenting on this, we all obviously care and if you don't that's fine, no one told you to click on this, if you weren't interested in the topic you should have just kept scrolling.

8. ironangel89 profile image60
    ironangel89posted 10 years ago

I think maybe he could play a good Metallo. If you look at the New 52 version of Metallo, he could easily be played by the rock.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8915388_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Maybe, but wasn't Jason Mamoa cast as an unnamed villain in the movie already?

1. ironangel89 profile image60
        ironangel89posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Was he? Hadn't heard about that. I know he was rumored for Aquaman at one point, but now the new rumor for Aquaman is Matt Damon so I don't know at this point.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I love Matt Damon. The thought of him playing aquaman seems like it would have to be camp though. I just can't imagine taking that superhero seriously... I mean... he can only fight crime underwater and most of the ppl under there for long are already dead.

ironangel89posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not true, have you actually read an Aquaman comic book? If not you should definitely check out the Geoff Johns run of Aquaman that started in 2011. It was awesome and definitely made Aquaman cool again.

1. profile image0
              Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol. No, I haven't read a comic book since elementary school, but if anyone could make aquaman cool, Im sure Matt Damon could.

ironangel89posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have had a couple of actors in mind to play the King of Atlantis but I don't know that I'd choose Matt Damon as my first choice. I would like to see Luke Evans or Josh Holloway play the part.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I could see Dwayne as J'onn J'onzz (The  Martian Manhunter)....he's got the build (and the forehead) for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)