Every Man Wants An Independent Woman?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Cant speak for every man, but for me - HELL YEAH!

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even the musicians, who are supposed to be really loaded as hell, are singing about how much they want an independent woman. Gawd, it makes you just wonder. Its like a friggin' epidemic for pete's sake!

2. MissJamieD profile image54
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I myself, in the past, was rather clingy and a "follower". Now I am the total opposite and can totally see why a "follower" is not as attractive.

3. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol.  Are you sure you can handle an independent woman Oh Fiery Stud?   smile

2. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

makes sense - clinginess sucks.

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Men don't know what they want. You just have to live your life and they'll  hang around or they won't. You can't focus on 'what men want'. Who cares what they want? Do whet you want. smile

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true, PG. Besides, most men who claim they want an independent woman have no idea how to handle it once they are involved with one! smile

1. anjalichugh profile image67
        anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!!!!!!!

2. RooBee profile image81
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very important point!! Words to live by. A) Men differ from each other and while one wants a passive lil wifey, others appreciate a woman with her own goals and who takes the helm when she wants. B) If you're acting like something you're not, eventually you'll both be unhappy with hurt feelings and all the junk that goes with it.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL.  I'm a big fan of the "who cares what they want" line of thinking.   smile  Some like independence when it suits them but not when it doesn't.

4. MindField profile image60
      MindFieldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spoken like a true independent woman, Pam! And I couldn't agree with you more. But don't you find it takes more than a few years under our belts to figure that out? ;-)

4. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

I was an independant woman once...didn't suit me so well...

=]

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah! I don't buy it!  I like your picture.  You should stick with this one.

1. profile image0
        L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, cheers

I figured my last one made me seem too serious and moody when I am only partially serious and moody =P

This one makes me seem a bit like a simpleton but I like it =]

5. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I have chased many away by being to independent. They try to change me and it would make me flip the fuck out. lol

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Men dont know what they want

Martha in the kitchen
    School girl /latest hollywood sex kitten - in the bedroom
    Ms Efficent to answer the phone,smooth his worried brow
    Doctor to fix the kids (though not the same one in his fantasies)

lol

oh almost forgot and a 'soulmate' which could double as anyone of the above too

1. profile image0

I feel like this is a tad unfair. Not all men are like this. Plus is it not true that everyone wants the perfect person for them?

Yes men demand alot but I ask women this question:
      If you could have a superman then wouldn't you?

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea Id like a superman..

1. profile image0

I rest my case. Also I know it was probably in jest, however, online it is impossible to tell tone of voice (sarcasm etc) so I thought I would play it safe =]

2. profile image61
          logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But what would you settle for?

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awww my answer was in jest

Nothing personal smile

7. James S. Thornton profile image61
    James S. Thorntonposted 14 years ago

I'd like a woman that DOESN'T force me to have sex with her without a condom, threatening to call the police telling them I abused her.

Afterwards, I would appreciate it if she DIDN'T demand I go take an STD test so SHE can be sure she didn't get anything from ME.

Unfortunately, I had no such luck last week.

I hate it when girls kill off something that could have been beautiful.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my thats aweful that a woman would do that!

8. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Tell me this ladies, just tell me, dont be pissed or anything either, just chill. Hey, why is it that women always assume that men dont know what they want? Or men cant handle an independent woman? Hey, maybe, just maybe, I'm assuming anything, just saying - maybe you've not met a real man, who can handle an independent woman, like say, i dont know - moi.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Men, from where I am from, are raised to believe that his woman is supposed to take care of him.  Not all men, but a large majority.  It is hard for women with strong minds to find strong men.  Some strong women like to be with men who are weaker than themselves, and vice versa with strong men.  I needed a no nonsense guy who could live with a highly opinionated woman.  I say what I feel and that is that.  I was lucky enough to find a husband who appreciates and reciprocates.

1. James S. Thornton profile image61
        James S. Thorntonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Women like it when men do tiny little chores for them because women regard this as an act of love.

Men are not so different.

We really appreciate it a whole lot if you make us a cup of coffee or make our beds for us.

(a man's love goes through his stomach)

I've had many women who enjoyed having ME do chores for THEM, but not the other way around.

Because that would've been sexist.

I recommend this book to everybody who has trouble dealing with the opposite sex:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Listen-Women … 0767907639

1. Vee Rose profile image60
          Vee Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like to think that every man is looking for an independent woman, but the truth of the matter is, there are men threatened by women like that.

9. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Hubpages: That all new dating/battle of the sexes site

Haha

10. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Where am I taking you for our first date??

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Well forgive me ladies for gettin all philosophical but these guys are raised by women (majority) so perhaps the hand that rocks the cradle ,needs to tip them out a lil sooner...gently but oh so definately.

And to quote my husband "Damn women are never happy, you want it both ways , independant and be the weaker sex" and he blames womens lib ..confused the hell outta guys and young women, now instead of burning bra's , they got push bras..its them who dont know what they want anymore...

Then my son remembered something he'd seen in the locker room at school "Girls think they can do anything, but they still cant pee over a 6ft fence! lol

Oh I love when the guys band together , kinda sweet to see bonding ...fragile darlings really underneath all that gruff n stuff
    And dont feel dejected guys , I have 5 wonderful brothers , three sons ,two step sons and one hot blooded American husband.
    Their bark is worse than their bite.

And it was a man who invented the GPS system , lol

1. profile image0

Cheers for that haha

I must admit it does confuse me when women want equality but still expect the guy to pay for the dinner out etc. I don't get why girls slag themselves up and lead guys on yet complain that guys are perverts. It's like they they dig our graves for us and then kick us in. We cannot win any situation.

I personally go to an all boys school and we are in constant competition with the all girls school down the road. Every time we genuinely beat them at something they always say it was a sexist result. Yet every time they beat us it's apparently fine and dandy. Apparently that just makes us stupid/unfit. Pah! Just because they're female they think they have the right to mess us guys around aswell...don't even get me started on relationships between the schools.

Luckily we've beaten them hands down over the past couple of years due to them having a huge skiving issue within the school. We work our asses off and it still gets called sexism when we beat them. There is a difference between knuckling down to work and discrimination.

Ok, rant over.
      =]

On a lighter note, one of my teachers at school once sat myself and a couple of mates down and said "Right boys, by the time you are 25 you will know everything there is to know about women...unfortunately I was married at 23"

=P

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol aww all is fair in love and war ,dont mean to be trite , but those were my thoughts re rivalry tween the sexes.

I attended a very elite all girls school !! but way before your time, as we were not even allowed to compete with the all boys school 4mins away ( if ya knew the shortcut) which we all did lol
        It has changed now though (thank god)...but the funny thing is even way back when ,you couldnt stop nature or a teenagers natural  curiousity and did I mention hormones and well ....you know the rest ...
        Oh shoot I was distracted here and thought I was in the 'flirting' thread lol
        Not much difference ,on reflection, lol.
        Just to your post though , yea its funny I do think girls want or expect alot (sometimes) to be treated like a princess, but not actually have to behave like one ..hmmm

My advice is to treat anyone ,the way youd like to be treated ,cant go too far wrong there.
        Plus no-one can please all the people ,so you might as well please yourself smile

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Well, Maslows hierarchy of needs says .... lol lol ...I think it all depends where on the *maturity* scale one is at to know what one wants. I can say I went from dependent to independent n most guys I know (married) are ok with strong women (their own wives) whilst others...well...do all to degrade, ridicule n humiliate her....hmm

13. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Independence is important to have in any relationship.  It defines and maintains who you are.  If both are confident, then both will want independence.  If one or both have low self esteem issues, then one will not want independence and the other will want dependence.  There are whole books written on this co-dependency cycle.  So, it depends on the confidence of the man and the woman.

14. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Depends on the definition of independence.  In a relationship, each person should be able to expect that the other will depend on them for something.  If there are no expectations how will  you know if the other is reliable?

15. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Depends on the definition of independence.  In a relationship, each person should be able to expect that the other will depend on them for something.  If there are no expectations how will  you know if the other is reliable?

16. mz_247_njinfo profile image61
    mz_247_njinfoposted 14 years ago

Men say they want an independent woman but as soon as she disagrees with a view or something he did, there's a problem. Many times, they leave the independent woman because they feel she is harder to please than a needy woman. -- Just my experience. "The squeeky wheel gets the oil"

17. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I think it is all about balance. No man wants a woman who is too much or too little of one trait or another. Same for what a woman wants smile

18. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I like 'em totally dependent and needy as hell.  Which may have a lot to say about why it took me 7 tries to get the right match.

19. Anath profile image63
    Anathposted 14 years ago

I like to be dependent and helpless so I can be taken care off.  But I also like to be independent and in control.  It is a matter of mood and game playing.  Sometimes appearing helpless is just as form of controlling the other person in doing what you want when you want...

20. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

There is a lot of funny comments in here, very good opinions and some basic facts.  Having a superman or superwoman in your life would be great but we must remember that relationships are designed to be a part of another persons life.  An independent woman (as the original question is) is very attractive to men.  We generally like a woman to be opinionated and able to take care of herself.  However, we also like it when a woman needs a man for other things than sex.  I of course cannot speak for all men but I think this is the general concensus.

21. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Everyone wants to be needed, wanted and valued to some extent....

but only weak men want a totally submissive helpless women that they can control and thus feel superior to

22. profile image0
    Miss Takeposted 14 years ago

I am very independent but I DONT want a man thanks very much they snore .....

1. profile image0

Guess that means you're gay.

assumptions are risky

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol now ya tell me

23. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Who is calling who gay around here now let us get this straight

1. profile image0

so Miss Take is Brenda's alter ego in here, ah hah.

24. profile image0

ER YOU CALLING ME GAY.....

25. profile image0

HEY YOU ALWAYS GETTING ANGRY ON HERE...

Brenda has nothing at all to do with me at all don't think just because you insult me that using her name will help you out..

Are you gay eh are you.... well don't call me gay then

1. profile image0

You're so gay. Where's your avatar? Pick one, anything! And how come you know so much about me? Is that you Brenda. Show yourself.

26. Eaglekiwi profile image74

CJ's is in trouble..ooooooo

1. profile image0

How?

just teasin, chill smile

1. profile image0

Always on fire, Baby.

27. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

hey man i would not know how to be an alter ego.... how do you do it????? have reported problem, it must be a technical hitch......

1. profile image0

What tech hitch, where did you report...Brenda, admit it, you were caught. I even followed the two screennames just to make sure. You never post at the same time. And you both even talk alike. I'm sure of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)