What Are Some Efficient Ways to Gain Backlinks?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Cody Hodge5 profile image69
    Cody Hodge5posted 9 years ago

Hi Guys!

I was wondering what tactics some of you use to gain natural backlinks to your hubs. I've read about using Yahoo Answers and am trying to find article directories that offer more than just spammy or unnatural links.

I know writers like to keep things close to the vest if they work well, but are there any forums/sites/directories that you have found useful in building backlinks?

Thanks,

Cody

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't much see the point in backlinks to third party sites. They're helping Hubpages more than my own work. I build my own websites and link FROM Hubpages to my sites.

You can get good traffic on Hubpages without any work on backlinks.

Cody Hodge5posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense....

So I guess the better question to ask is...

What are some efficient ways to backlink in general?

For Hubpages? Write seo and social media friendly content that other people will link to.

I don't really backlink much at all. I probably have 50 self made backlinks to all 30 or so of my sites. Likely less.

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a really good Hub on how to get backlinks.  (It's not mine)

http://hubpages.com/_cdpcgzui9p5y/hub/Backlinks-Hubs

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Beware a lot of the suggestions in that article!! You are not only going to wasting your time but will indicate to Google that you are a spammer if you overdo it!!

Links were the main part of the algorithm before panda and the more you had the better off you were. The Panda algo from good old Google modifies the result in line with the perceived quality of your page.

The Penguin Algorithm however is what you need to look out for - it is designed to weed out those that build excessive links to their own material online to manipulate the search results. Building your own links can hurt you.

You also have to consider that not all links are created equal - how much value do you think that Google places on a link within a free to use directory that is only visited by people placing links to their site or to a link from an article on a free to use article site that has tons of spun and meaningless articles that no one reads?? What do you think having hundreds of links from bookmarking sites and directories tells Google about your links if you don't have other sites linking to you also? If it is unnatural Google can see it as obvious link building!!

Links from a respected source are what counts and the very best links are those that occur naturally. So write good stuff that people want to share - I had a link to one of my hubs appear in a very well read blog and that generated 1000's of visitors while it was on the front page of the blog and still sends visitors long after.

If you are going to post your own links forget about doing it for SEO affect, do it where they will actually add value and send you traffic.....  A directory or bookmarking/social site that actually gets traffic (pinterest seems to work with the right images), or worthy comments on a well read blog, a guest blog on a real website not one just set up for you to guest blog on!

Think before you link!!!

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
          SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I agree, I was too tired last night to write a detailed post like yours!  Posting a link to your Hub on 61 sites will set off the Google spam alarm.
          Writing four or five unique articles with a link back to your Hub on a selection of those site is best.

1. susi10 profile image96
            susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Guest blogging is usually one of the best ways to go for gaining high quality backlinks. I use My Guest Blogger quite a lot for finding people who want guest posts in return for two links to my subdomain.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
              Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just Googled My Guest Blogger. Apparently it has been penalized by Google.
              http://www.seroundtable.com/google-gues … 18278.html

I think I will just continue to write hubs and interact with who I want to interact with. It seems like Google sees any effort at promotion as spam.

Cody Hodge5posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yup, it certainly feels that way....unless you're willing to pay $1 or more per click.

2. susi10 profile image96
                susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sherry - Yes, I noticed that too. I think that it is a huge pity that guest blogging has been penalized by Google, it destroys the whole eco-system of the internet. I guess that the only way forward is to keep writing high quality Hubs and see what happens. Anything we do now is penalized by Google.

1. LeanMan profile image79
                  LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why should Google not penalize sites that are just to provide links! Why is that upsetting the eco-system of the internet??

It is the people that go out of their way to excessively build links and take other actions to game the system that are the ones that are destroying the internet!! If people read what you write, share it and link to it then it is great - but going out and doing it yourself is not the way!

Guest blogging should be about finding a site in your niche and providing an article that will be read by their readership and thereby promoting your views on the subject and of course your site. A site that just accepts and publishes "guest blogs" on any subject is no better than an article site pushing hundreds of articles purely to provide links...... If someone wanted to publish a "guest blog" on one of my sites what they write would have to be really inspirational and different to anything else out there - if it does not add to my site and my readership then it is not getting on my site!! I could put up a notice and get guest bloggers providing a thousand different versions of the same boring crap to add content to my site and give them links but what does that give my readers?

People should stop gaming the system - the trouble is that where there is money to be made there will always be those that want to game the system and this means that even the small fry on the internet like us have to try things that we should not have to................

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)