HELP! An example SEO/keyword optimization

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

When I read tutorials my head spins. So please give me an example using my topic: a recipe for baked salmon. If the title is "How to make Herb-crusted baked salmon", and I use the phrases "salmon fillet" "fish" throughout the hub, that's not optimizing right? Examples please in as few words as possible. Feel free to use apples, oranges, whatever.

1. Sapper profile image64
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are two main methods for what you are looking for, exact match keywords and LSI keywords. For exact match, you would put a specific word or phrase so many times, between 2 and 4% of your total words. If you Google keyword density, there are tons of free tools you can use to check what your density is.

The examples that you used are LSI keywords. Another example would be if you wanted to write about how to exercise. Throughout your post you could use workout, get in shape, and other words that mean the same, and Google's algorithms will pick up on what your post is about.

The difference between the two is exact match will usually rank faster, but will jump around a lot with Google's updates. LSI's take longer to rank, but will take smaller hits with updates. Either way is fine, but exact match keywords take a little more work to stay ranked high.

jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok, it's becoming clearer. Thank you, Sapper. I need to use the tools, not just assume I'm using the best keywords. I appreciate the specifics about 2-4% of total words.

2. DreamerMeg profile image79
      DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I went into Google adwords tool (I signed in) and used the term "baked salmon" as my keyword. I tried "herb baked salmon" but there were only 590 global monthly searches for that, so I just went with "baked salmon" and a "broad" match in the left hand navigation bar. I also removed the "location" indicator, so it looked worldwide.

The term "baked salmon" gets 201,000 global monthly searches and has low competition. I understand that "how to" in the title is pretty good too (haven't researched that) so "How to cook baked salmon" should be a good title. If you want to include "herbs", then how about "How to cook baked salmon with a herb crust"?

I then clicked on the "Global Monthly Searches" column so it would range the numbers in order from high to  low. The best terms related to baked salmon were "recipes", "recipes for fish" and "fish recipes", "salmon recipe", "recipe for salmon" (and a few other similar phrases) "how to bake salmon", "how to cook a salmon" (and some more similar) etc.

I would write my recipe and article out inmy own way, then I would look to see if I had these terms in it. So, if my article said, "I think this is a great recipe for anyone who has been landed with a salmon unexpectedly and asked to cook it." I might look at the search terms  that people are using and change it to, " "I think this is a great salmon recipe for anyone who has been landed with one of these fish unexpectedly and now needs to know how to cook a salmon.

Wow, very interesting, DreamerMeg. It was so nice of you to show a technically slow girl the ropes. I think I'm understanding much better now. Just couldn't wrap my head around it. This has been really helpful for my next recipe hub.

2. Sapper profile image64

Few small problems with this. First, if you are using Google Keyword Tool for research, you want to change broad on the side to exact. Second, Low competition is for placing ads, for selling ads, low is bad. You want high competition there. High means there are more people selling an ad for the keyword, low means there are more sites about the keyword. Lastly, you want to leave is on local, not global.

When using Google Keyword Tool for research, you are looking for three things, exact local monthly searches above 1600, CPC at least $1 or higher, and you want higher competition. Also, the tool is for selling ads, so take any info on there with a grain of salt.

3. profile image0
        KenDeanAgudoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow amazing, I have learned something here, i am just starting Adwords and i find it really helpful though I never know the effect of it since i cannot track my blogs stats

3. janshares profile image94

Thank you all for your help. I just tweaked my baked salmon recipe hub. We will see what happens after it's re-indexed. I plan to use the tools and your valuable advice for my next fish recipe. I appreciate this helpful community so much. You guys are the best.

2. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Optimizing is doing anything to help people searching for your content find it.

So, yes. Using the terms and words that they're liable to use to search for your recipe is a simple form of optimization, since it helps search engines figure out what you're writing about and, hopefully, who's looking for it.

Use "herb-crusted baked salmon" in an image caption, if it sounds natural to do so. Or put "herb-crusted baked salmon" in the header. Use the words you just mentioned in the body of the recipe. Perhaps link to a few other good salmon recipes or variations on how to make other kinds of herb crusts. These all help nail down what you're writing about and make it clear that yes, indeed, your topic is an herb-crusted salmon recipe.

But don't do any of these things unless it makes sense, flows naturally and is useful to your readers. Don't  do any kind of optimization that's only an attempt to reinforce keywords. That's like putting certain words in bold and red ink and GIANT FONTS because you're not able to write clearly enough to make yourself understood. There are ways to use keywords naturally: if you're talking about X and Y, then just...make sure you talk about X and Y, and don't ramble on too much about Z and Q. 

Search engines are like a librarian, skimming your book cover (URL/title), chapter headings (section headings), pictures (captions), bibliography (links to other stuff), and content to figure out where to file the book in the card catalog. The way you structure the book helps the librarian do a good job of filing and classifying your content, and that can in help readers find the book in the library. However, you are writing first and foremost for those who actually sit down and read the book.

With practice, it's possible to write specifically, using clear language, illustrations, and headings, in a way that helps the librarian AND helps your readers understand your content better. That's what good Search Engine Optimization does. smile

Greekgeek, thank you kindly for this clear and concise explanation. It is starting to gel now. This is great.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Doesn't all this jargon talk of LSI simply mean we are going back to what used to be viewed as good writing style: use of a wide range of synonyms to avoid the tedium of endlessly repeated words?

If yes, I rejoice!

1. Sapper profile image64

Basically, except now the search engines, or at least Google, will pick up on it instead of having to rely mostly on off-page SEO.

2. janshares profile image94

WriteAngled, that helps. Applying my good writing skills is more than half the brain-battle. Yes, jargon is what makes my head spin :-)

3. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's basically an impressive way of saying that. smile

Glad my explanation was at least a little helpful.

For me, the only difference between writing instinctively and writing with search in mind is that I use tools to learn "hey, what do OTHER people call what I'm talking about?"

I'll check the Google Keywords Tool and do some Google Searches to see what related search terms come up. That tells me what words other people are using to search for the topic. Just as importantly, if I punch in what I think are good search terms, does it come up with a whole pile of stuff NOT related to my topic? Then I may need to rethink.

But I don't become too slavish about keyword densities or KEIs or any artificial procedure for determining how to place words on the page. At most, I'll check competition and use that data to help choose the page title and URL. And I am aware in the back of my mind that search engines particularly look at the words in section headers, image names and captions, and links. But for the most part, I just use the keyword list I've cooked up like a writing prompt: "here's the common language that you share with your readers, so keep these words in mind and use them if/when they express what you're trying to say."

Thanks again, Greekgeek. You've be more than a little helpful. Appreciate it.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

I am sorry, I wish I could help, but I have not learned about the SEO thing yet, as I just have to make time to study it more.

1. isenhower33 profile image65
      isenhower33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-e … lyzer.html

Thats the site I use Faith, if you look on the left it has a box that says SEO tools and you can use those tools to find out how well you used keywords and stuff like that.
      For keywords to search, go to google adwords, login and go to tools tab, it'll say under it keyword tool and click that. Or just type it in to the google search bar put google adwords keyword tool and it'll come up and you can research your words smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting, but my problem is with not understanding the information I've been given.  I just picked one of my hubs at random, and entered it at the link you gave above, for the first choice, which was "meta tags" ... and got this information:
        Web Server: nginx
        Content Type: text/html
        Content Length: 61043

Ok...fine...but what does that tell me?  What does it mean?  I'm no wiser or better off than I was prior to running this check. 

When running the search again for "Rank Checker," I got an entire screen full of information, telling me that there were 2 keywords (what I typed into their search box), and that they appeared twice  (in the title).  The rest of the stats seemed to just repeat that information in various categories.
        AND--further down, it was noted that the keywords did NOT appear in the domain or sub-domain..and those were highlighted in red--as if this is a big problem.  But, how could keywords appear in a domain or sub-domain, unless you are repetitively writing and re-writing on the same topic??

Signed, a tech dummy...

2. janshares profile image94

Thanks, FaithReaper. I don't feel so bad now. No apology needed love.

5. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Well Janshares, it seems you've done a lot of us a favor.  The answers you've gotten are very helpful.  We sometimes think we know, but then find out we don't when we read things in more common and easy to understand terms.  Thank you Janshares and all who answered your question!

You're very welcome, tillsontitan. I think we can be on our way now to creating better, search optimized hubs.

2. L.L. Woodard profile image68
      L.L. Woodardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please allow me to add my thanks to you, Janshares, for asking the question and to everyone who came afterward to clear up and firm up concepts.

You're very welcome, LL. I'm grateful for all the generous help we've received.

6. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

This FREE tool is one of the best for seeing if your keyword phrase is likely to be competitive - very quick and also displays your competitors.

http://www.seodevgroup.com/products/Nic … inder.html

Great, janderson99, much appreciation to you. I will check it out.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

MOST people on here and elsewhere talk a load of garbage about SEO.

GreekGeek doesn't.  She is a rarity.

I would be VERY careful about taking ANY notice of anyone especially when they start talking jargon. percentages and back-links.

And if they are offering to sell you something - even if it is just attracting visitors to their SEO 'advice' - ignore it.

Just my opinion of course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)