My hubs - your opinion

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. mhajnal profile image66
    mhajnalposted 14 years ago

Dear Hubbers!

I've joined hubpages a few days ago. I have spent quite a lot of time writing my 4 hubs so far, and I like to get feedback and advice. My questions are:

1. What's wrong about my hubs?
    2. What's good about my hubs?
    3. Is it okay that it takes ~3-4 hours to construct a hub?
    4. Why don't people vote?

Thank you for your time and answers.

Yours:
    M. Hajnal

edit: An additional question-
    5. Why do the first two Adsense blocks show irrelevant ads, like 'bad credit', 'foreign exchange' etc. on a hub about neon tetras?

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well written Hubs. Very interesting. Nice layouts and good pics.
      As for Top Female Fantasy's - my oh my. That will get a lot of viewing. The hubscore is already in the 70s. This is one area that gets a lot of page views. I did one on Naked women (as an experiment) and the views were extremely high.

Some other Hubbers will no doubt answer the other questions you have.

Welcome to HP.  smile

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I scanned 3 of your Hubs and will respond to your questions:

1.  Not much wrong with your Hubs that I can see.  You might want to consider including a few outbound links.  Some Hubbers DON'T do that, believing that inbound links are the only ones that count.  I DO put outbound links in mine on the theory that it enriches the Hub.  Your call, just something to consider.  The "authority" sites use 'em....

2.  There is a LOT right with your Hubs.  The coverage of topic is spot on, the illustrations are vivid and dynamic, and the length is A-OK.  I particularly liked your mention that neon tetras tend to be peaceful critters; that's important information.  I also like your placement of the Amazon ads, probably  because that's about where I put my own.  Great minds think  alike and all that.

3.  This question is a REALLLY good one!  There are a number of Hubbers that can really crank 'em out--there must be, or how else could they accept the "Write 100 Hubs in 30 Days" challenge?  In my case, I'm LUCKY if I can get a Hub done in 3-4 hours.  6 hours is not unusual.

4.  I don't know why other people don't vote, but I don't do it because I purely personally HATE those little voting surveys.  Not knocking yours in particular.  It's just that they make me feel like somebody is grabbing me by the throat and yelling in my face, "QUIT BEING A READER AND PARTICIPATE, TURKEY!!"  Man, I detest those.  But I'm probably a freak of nature in that regard; let's hope you get some other responses with a more balanced point of view.

5.  I know what you mean about those first two AdSense blocks showing irrelevant ads, but they don't always.  It may be that Google has only so many "neon tetra" ads available to run and they have to use "filler ads" for the rest, but I don't claim to be an authority on the subject in any way whatsoever.  Maybe someone who DOES know will enlighten us both.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I agree the Hubs look good. A few small things:

The prime position for ads is in the top right hand corner, so you don't want to put anything there (unless it's an Amazon or eBay capsule). 

Where you have a right-floated capsule, it looks really weird if it's longer than the text capsule it's next to.  What you get is a big white space!

When you first publish a Hub, the ads won't be relevant - it takes a little while for Adsense to work out what your article is about. Give it time! Plus, there will be times when there simply aren't enough relevant ads.

I'd be careful about publishing too many Hubs on sex.  Adsense has very strict rules on "adult content", and they check using an automated system that is just plain dumb.  The stupid result is that someone can publish a Hub full of half-naked Indian starlets and get away with it, yet someone else can publish a serious article about improving your sex life and get penalised.  Annoying, but they pay the bills so what can you do?

Finally - outbound links. I think I'm going to start a thread to ask this question, as Ghost32 and I were discussing it just the other day.  I don't think they're a good idea and Ghost does!

4. mhajnal profile image66

Thank you for the advice Ghost and Marisa!

@Ghost32: I spend about 40% of the time on selecting the right pictures for my hubs. I hope most people appreciate lively, high quality pictures as much as I do. As for the writing time: I hate when I find a hub with a REALLY exciting title, just to see that it's about 200 words 'long'. It's like ordering your favorite food in the restaurant and receiving it in a small pot, half-cooked.
    Votes: I use them for getting some feedback from the readers. Let's face it, most of us are too lazy to write comments. It's much easier to click on a poll option. I can understand your point though, some polls are just rude.

@Marisa:
    I'm a bit worried about Google's policy on sexual content as well, I hope my hubs won't trigger the alarm.
    I'll try and arrange my next hubs according to your advice. I often end up facing a difficult choice of looks vs. ad placement. I'll be honest, I'd love to make some money with my hubs. However, my priority is to provide a visually pleasing and mentally satisfying content.

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

SJust read one of your hubs..... how good do you want to get, I mean you are brilliant already.... take a look at my hubs now, and give me some constructive critique...dont tellme put pictures up I will soon when I GET MY NEW COMPUTER.... PROBABLY THE DAY AFTER THE POPE GETS MARRIED......

6. mhajnal profile image66

Thanks for the feedback!

Just an update:
    I've reached the milestone of 1000 views. My hub about female sexual fantasies is getting some INSANE number of visitors. 300+ in the last 24 hours. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna post something about sex again, as people seem to like the topic so much. I'll just have to do some more research.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)