Support for each other

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (69 posts)
  1. sherwani profile image61
    sherwaniposted 9 years ago

I just had another thought in my mind. Why don't we all follow each other? Specially the newbies. It will give support and encouragment for each other

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

sherwani, may I suggest you read a hub by relache that was written quite some time ago but it timeless and very helpful for all hubbers:

Don't Make The 10 Most-Common HubPages Mistakes!  by relache

I understand that your idea is to show support for each other and that is a good thing.  smile   However, there are some hubbers that write on things I have absolutely no interest in and my time is better spent for subjects I enjoy reading and can relate to.  I write as often as I can for HubPages and four other sites and I do not just punch out any old thing -- I do heavy research, verify facts, contact people for information or images to get their permissions to use images, and spend a lot of time with the actual writing, then I edit, edit, edit.  I am not unique with this method, for the hubbers I follow and admire do the same. A good hubber spends serious time in research, formatting, editing, etc., to create quality hubs. Going for a Stellar Hub takes even more time, thought and research.

Listen to relache, she knows what she is talking about.  smile

1. bethperry profile image82
        bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis, you nailed it on the head there.

Thanks, Beth.

2. sherwani profile image61
        sherwaniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis Doyle.
        I got it what you all are trying to say. Read that hub. I respect that. I respect that you all are senior over here and know much more than me and trying to guide all of us on the right path.

But here are a few reasons that I won't follow your advice.
        1. I am stubborn
        2. I need support, rather than score or money to continue, right now (same with several other people)
        3. I want a quick response, even it's from one person
        4. I almost checked everyone of your profiles and almost all of you aren't a following much as in comparision of getting followed. That's the reason you all are not saying me not to do the following thing. But, I had a conversation with a hubber who have been here for few years. Have many great hubs (around 500) but isn't followed by more than a 300 people. And she is following the same number of people as well. She thinks it is an excellent idea.
        5. You can randomly read upon the topics which you usually don't. Like I do, I scroll down a little on the page. Found something new, read it and comment on it, whether I like it or not, but I get some info and give some support to my other fellow hubbers.

I think that's enough for reasoning.

1. profile image0
          spahi992posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said, or... wait, written. Yes, well written.

Thanks.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Hi sherwani.  We each must do what we feel is right for our self.  I was following everyone who followed me up until about 2 months ago when I checked all the hubbers I was following. I deleted many who were no longer here, never wrote a hub, never commented on any of my hubs, or had no activity in forums. I saw no reason to continue following those who were not active, so deleted them.

Those of us here in this thread are only trying to help you understand several things that may help you in the long run. If any suggestions/advice does not set well with you, that is your choice and I respect that.

I wish you all the best in your journey at HubPages.  smile

Thank you. I'll keep everything you've said in my mind

2. profile image0
      swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi sherwani! I understand where you are coming from involving being a reciprocal follower however earnings can be a sensitive subject.I believe that if you love to write, and you cover subjects that interest others you will gain devoted followers.

Now, if someone has 500 followers, and they are only following 2 people that is not being a reciprocal follower.

If you are following someone who is helpful to you, or is writing articles that are appealing, that is a reason to follow.

To follow someone who does not write or is not helpful is a waste of your time. Or if you are following lots of people in hopes of gaining quick results, then you may attract people with dishonest measures, focus on being a writer of integrity by following those that can provide wisdom.

Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears. Build your brand one brick at a time, and through the power of understanding.

I know you have the insight to do so, yet endurance is a huge part of success. Don’t fire patience.

2. philosophicalbrit profile image71
    philosophicalbritposted 9 years ago

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. Trouble is, I'd like to have active followers who will give me feedback and suggestions. If we could all do that then I'd be willing smile

3. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 9 years ago

<----Newbie.

4. sherwani profile image61

Agree with you, about feedback and suggestions. But don't you think that it would be enough to give you encouragement that xxx no. of people are following you and even some of them might read the new hub you've written. And you might read theirs and find something useful. Just a thought

1. philosophicalbrit profile image71
      philosophicalbritposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you do have a point there. Well, if you guys are up for it then so am I smile

5. sherwani profile image61

So, you follow me and I follow you ?? smile

6. philosophicalbrit profile image71
    philosophicalbritposted 9 years ago

Sounds good big_smile

7. sherwani profile image61

likewise

8. profile image0
    spahi992posted 9 years ago

Some people will surely get motivated to write more, so let's start. I've followed everyone here, so follow me. I'll keep following all those that reply to this thread.
    OK?

Sounds great! I've followed you. I like the gaming Hubs you have big_smile

spahi992
      you make it look like that it was your idea to follow each other. big_smile. Nevermind, I follow u , u follow me.  Cheers

This is not Bubblews.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

9. weezyschannel profile image86
    weezyschannelposted 9 years ago

I agree.  Followed both of you- great hubs by the way !

And followed back!

10. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 9 years ago

But no one does this anyway.. :S

it's just for motivation.
      If you wish to be successful then your hub should be on the first page of google, and no one is going to follow you over there

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

janderson99 is 3 short of the 500 accolade if you would like to give The Doc your regards. smile

Don't bother following me, however, I don't do follow-backs. big_smile

so, whose side are you on? ours or his?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand. As far as I know, he isn't even aware of this thread. smile

big_smile. Will you do the honors?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

There are no "sides", sherwani.  We are a community of writers who just do the best we can. We do not form sides to prove anything -- we just follow the rules, regulations and requirements, which is the best thing to do. We work for HubPages and realize that it is their site and they set the rules. HP also gives suggestions and tips to us to help us become better hubbers and writers.

I know. I found Paradirgmsearch as a fun guy. So, I was just kidding with him. Please don't mind

PS: sherwani, I meant to say in my last post that in time you will find what works best for you in regards to how much time you spend on following, writing, contributing to the community in a good way, and focusing on doing your best. 

Stubborn? Yes, I can see you are stubborn and that is your choice -- have fun.  smile

Thank you smile

12. Jcpuddles profile image61
    Jcpuddlesposted 9 years ago

I'm in!

Follow me and I'll follow u

2. philosophicalbrit profile image71

Followed big_smile

3. profile image0
      spahi992posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Followed.

13. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Please note that if you follow a lot of people in a short timespan, it will purposely drive down your author/profile HubScore, and this can only be reversed by unfollowing all those people.  And it takes longer to recover the score than it took for it to drop.

That detail isn't talked about as much in the site FAQs because it's there to deter abuse of that feature.  If your author score falls below 85, HubPages will mark all your out-going Hub links as no-follow. 

Only follow people who's work you truly want to read, not because someone promises to follow you back or because you are trying to get more followers.  Otherwise, the HubPages system will punish you.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

She's dead bang right on this. Pay heed. big_smile

++++++++++++++++++

MAYBE U R RIGHT. but the followers support will help to keep on doing, not the hub score

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In the long run you want that hub score to go up if you hope to have outgoing links count as 'do follow'.

I know, but it's about the motivation to start and keep doing it.

Potential participants in the plan should just know that if a rising hubscore is part of what motivates them, they shouldn't do this.  That is all.

3. Valeant profile image86
      Valeantposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So newbies will get crushed right away since they will find interesting hubbers and follow them.  Great (dripping with sarcasm).

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your predominant behavior is following, yes, you will be crushed.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

In large numbers? Yes.
        We don't make the rules, we just tell you about them.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

The wisest thing for newbies to do is to learn how a site works, read read read FAQ, TOS, Learning Center, take the advice of long time members,  etc. etc. etc ,  before making asinine suggestions.

1. Valeant profile image86

Was there an asinine suggestion?

1. Cardisa profile image88
            Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The original suggestion by the OP? roll

Yes, Cardisa, by the OP.  Can you imagine if we all followed each other we would be spending all our time keeping up with what? over a few thousand people or more?  roll   lol

2. relache profile image71
            relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the idea to ignore my warning might qualify, even moreso than the OP.

No - sorry relache, I should have directed that statement to the OP, not your warning.  smile

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Hi Valeant. There most certainly was an asinine suggestion. The Op suggests we all follow each other. This is not Bubblews where one tries to get as many followers as we can regardless of what the bubbler is like and what that bubbler writes. At HubPages, we follow those who write quality articles on subjects of interest to us.

Earlier today I read a hub that relache wrote about two years ago and I commented that it should be mandatory reading for everyone, especially newbies. Sorry, at the moment I do not remember the title of the hub, just the content on how to conduct one's self on HubPages. It is an excellent hub full of solid advice and tips.

1. Valeant profile image86

Was really just checking to make sure I didn't say anything bad.  Learned a lot from this post and already started to unfollow some people.

Hahahaha - Valeant, you will do just fine.  It takes time to learn all we have to. Even those who have been here for a few years or more still learn things all the time. I really recommend that hub relache wrote, it is very helpful. I have been here almost four years and her hub gave me some things to be aware of and remember.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Valeant, this is the hub I think EVERYONE should read:

Don't Make The 10 Most-Common HubPages Mistakes!  by relache

14. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I'm willing to follow anyone who has hubs I enjoy and I welcome anyone to follow me if they actually enjoy my hubs and will take the time to leave comments, as I will. I don't believe it is a good idea to just follow to increase the number of followers, like people on Twitter do.

15. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Your reason seems to be that you would rather have followers that get you nothing really, rather than a decent hubscore and an account not consider spammy by Hubpages.

So long as you know what you are choosing, that is up to you.  But other people who read the thread need to understand what the trade off is.

This is not Twitter.  You might want to consider not putting such emotional weight on followers here. It is just a way to add someone's content to your feed. It does not add any value to your account. Whereas, for better or worse, everyone sees your hubscore and you are currently at the top end of the spammer zone.

Ok. Got it. And thank you very much for the advice.

I talked to a person. Being here for only 2 days with 2 hubs, Zero followers and 99 following. What's his future?

I am not Mystic Meg. But to try and guess I would look at his hubs and totally ignore his followers.  The fact you can get heaps by 1) just being here a long time, or 2) begging for them on the forum, kind of tells it all.

Hmmm. Someone's getting annoyed and angry.

There might be any other meaning for this *2) begging for them on the forum, kind of tells it all.*
          But from my understanding you are pointing at me. And please do tell me if I am wrong.

My response is: for you it might be Begging. For me it was a suggestion which turned out to be a good idea for several people. You can call it another thing, BUSINESS.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

sherwani. Looks like you're not excessively following to the point of perturbing HP anyway. So party on. big_smile

Want true, like-minded followers? Proceed to http://hubpages.com/topics/tree Find those topics that truly interest you. Comment on the hubs in that topic category. I would imagine the rest would naturally follow. smile

Thanks. You could have answered that before and kept me engage from fighting everyone on this thread. big_smile

1. profile image0
        swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol!! I saw the word support one another, and I am all for supporting well-known authors and those who are starting off.  This conversation turned into money & arguing; if your brother is going in the wrong direction you warn him, because you care. And you help him in hopes that he will reach his goal. Run your race, but run it wisely my friend.

Thanks for Caring and Supporting smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

lol lol lol

Sorry, it just occurred to me. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)