As a Christian is it ever alright to have an Abortion?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I have noticed that there is much controversy over the topic of abortion with in the religious arena!

As a christian what is your personal belief on abortion and secondly do you think that abortion is pleasing in God's eye?

Thirdly, if you feel that abortion is wrong do you think their is any exceptions?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am pro choice for this reason.  If it comes down to a mothers life that already is and the life of a child then then there is a decision to be made no matter how you look at it.

From personal experience, not that I have had an abortion but when it comes to my own mom.  When she was in labor with my baby brother the doctors were very specific about the probability that one of them might not make it and my dad needed to make a choice for my mom.

Now I don't know all the specifics as to why the decision was left up to my dad, maybe my mom was already sedated and unable to make a coherent decision or maybe she just could not chose.

But my dad said, if and only if it comes down to that, then save my wife and yes, abort the child.  For why?  Because she is mom and she was my dad's partner and she already has children, three of them that need her.

Many women do regret their choices in hindsight but ultimately a choice needs to be made and I love my dad for choosing my mother over my brother and thankfully both were able to survive.

However wrong some may think the decision was, my dad put the life he does know and the well being of those who need her already first and while my dad is not a religious man, he said that if there is a God then he would understand and I believe my dad.

2. Crawling Surface profile image62
      Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fux No, no exceptions. One may say, what if your wife/dautghter is raped she's prego, what do you do. Pray for a miscarriage I suppose. I don't know, touchy subject. In days of old (well not that old, 100-200 years) In certain foreign countries where catholic living facilities (communes, other facilities)where in recent years, being torn down, or renovated it has been known that they would find fetus after dead fetus in the walls, horney little nuns, and priests that just couldn't find the strength to pull out, I guess that which the catholic church can hide from the eyes of the world for an extended period is fine. I think I'll change my answer a bit. Fux No. Not unless you're catholic

3. thinking out loud profile image41
      thinking out loudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course there are exceptions, but the thing to remember is, as a christian there is only one person you have to answer to and it's not us.  If your heart is pure and your decision is based on your heart, no excuse is ever necessary.

4. profile image0
      ellie1142545posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I stand on Abortion is wrong...I've always felt this, in my non-christian, and now christian...Oh religious is just a word, and has nothing to do with christianity, or any other belief....

The only time I might go agree to this, is if the person expecting, is between the ages of 13 and 18, and the child was conceived by forciable rape, by stranger, or family member....

5. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't feel it is Christian-like to judge anyone.  If a person is pro life, that person should not go against their own beliefs and have an abortion.  They should not try to force their beliefs on others.

6. fishmox profile image61
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong is wrong.  Right is right.
      No in-betweens.
      However, who cares ?
      Man is a fallen being and will reason out with God if he can, after all, didn't the devil tell Eve: "ye shall be as gods".
      That is why it took God Himself to redeem sinners.

So.
      It is WRONG at all times to abort.
      But, I, nor those who are pro-life, am not the judge.
      God is.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if your god is in charge maybe let him speak for himself.

1. fishmox profile image61
          fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He did, and it's all written down in a little library of books called the Bible, and everybody's trying to be his own little guru in teachin what my God is saying in the Bible, each with his own motivation.
          Some are honestly earnest about going around doing God's business, but have been grounded out of seminaries with professors who teach from cut-and-dried lesson plans that God's word has been turned into something like a college course on how-to's and they end up with wrong doctrines and wrong takes on many things.
          Witness the many denominations around each saying they are purveyors of the Truth.

Some are in it for the money.
          Benny Hinn.  Joel Osteen. These two are good examples.
          Benny Hinn goes around with a large entourage picking out the best hotels, in the best of planes, the best of cars, you'd think it was the danged president of the United States coming for a visit, or at the least Elvis Presley resurrected.
          This pretender to the throne of grace, this antichrist, purports to be a servant of the Lord who said "foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have their nests, but the Son of Man hath nowhere to lay his head on."

Result ?

They mock the Resurrected Savior, and give occassion to others to mock Him, as well.

But vengeance is mine, saith the Lord.

2. dipless profile image66
    diplessposted 14 years ago

I think Abortion is a personal choice and not to be judged by others who never fully understand that persons reasoning or circumstances.

1. profile image0
      mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree!! What most people think is really since less!

I do not think that to many women just have an abortion to just have one!!

I believe that 99% of the time their is a justified reason! What about Letting God be God and he will be the end judge

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By that logic why would we have any laws, rules, or judgement about anything?

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

exactly........... I know never have one whatever the circumatances.

4. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I keep hearing "It's a personal decision," but doesn't it by definition involve more than one person?

1. curiozities profile image60
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it does but I have a feeling we won't be changing anyone's mind here.

2. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does. However there's only one person that's responsible for the carrying of the child. I think that's part of the whole problem.

3. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point. By definition, it does involve two people.

Smoking crystal meth is also a personal decision, as is enrolling in college, cheating on your taxes, getting a tattoo, jumping off a bridge, and a host of other activities.

Anointing something as a 'personal decision' doesn't make it right or wrong. It's just a way of avoiding the issue.

5. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

In terms of pleasing to God, I think he's against abortion under all circumstances.  Refer to the 6th commandment and the following verses:

Jeremiah 1:5
    John 15:10
    John 14:15
    Luke 17:2

6. dipless profile image66
    diplessposted 14 years ago

by personal i don't necessarly mean a single person, my partner and I went through somthing which required "us" to make a decision...however it was still a personal decision on her part as she had to go through with our decision..however if she had of felt differently than I did then I would have supported her in "her" choice and that would be "my" personal decision.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have provided a road map on how to love.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Personally, I believe God is all loving and all forgiving. Abortion certainly is not what I would term "pleasing in God's eye." But God loves all His children.
    Life is not black and white.
    People, in the name of "Christianity," are way too quick to pass judgment on each other.
    That's all I am going to say about it.

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

And one more thing - this is a topic that won't find a solution. Particulary when a lot that have a say (generally - not specifically hubbers) have never been in the position whereby they may have to seriously consider abortion.

1. nicomp profile image61

Here's the solution: let the baby decide. Put off the decision until the child can have a say in the matter.

VERY good idea!

1. frogdropping profile image78
          frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must remember that one. In fact I'll pass that nugget to my sister. The very next time she's sat with a traumatized kid that's pregnant by her father/brother/uncle.

I bet she'll wonder why she never thought of it.

And I'm not pro-abortion. I'm pro-sensible decision making with respect to life and how to live it in general.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I think it is between God and the people involved.
    I feel ,for anyone, having to make that decision.
    I am not anyones judge. ( nor want to be judged) by another human being.

You judge people all the time. Everyone does. You live under a system of laws that are based on judgements. 'Don't judge' is really just avoiding the issue.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dont tell me what I do TK ,you can not read my mind.
        To Judge comes from the Greek word 'katakrino' which really means to condemn
        But there is another Greek word 'krino' which means to discern,separate , or more clearly knowing good from bad.
        So judging is left for God
        Discerning left for us, discerning doesnt condemn,so even if I dont agree with abortion, I would not judge , but help.

Doesn't require mind reading or etymology. EVERYONE  does it (I think I said that).

EVERYONE does not ( I think I also said that) TWICE

10. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Do you obey the laws of the country you live in? Do you support the arrest and conviction of criminals? Do you consider behavior that helps someone and behavior that hurts someone as exactly the same?

No one lives in society with others who does not judge in some way, shape, or fashion. It's not a dirty word.

Guess I was communicating over your head ,oh well.

"Oh well" you've got it backwards.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Car-Pie! EK Kia Kaha

Kia ora PD !how was your week-end there in Bumbletown , I wrote one on ChCh to add to my big collection on NZ (yea right) lol..

1. Pearldiver profile image66

Car-Pie airhore... lol ... I was writting a hub on Ecketahuna but... I saw this forum and Decided to ABORT my efforts!

11. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Yea know what ya mean , I started another one too ,will get serious tomorrow..oh cool my dad talked an earthquake there in Ekatahuna ( dont think I had been born yet) good luck with that)smile

12. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well I'm Pro Choice  and If I want to Abort... I will Abort.. end of story... end of Ekatahuna.. smile

Well, it certainly sounds as if life is quite sacred to you...

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would the world be a better place if tksensei could make all of Pearldiver's choices?

Almost certainly not. Thanks.

1. darkside profile image65
            darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Almost? You have trouble trying to hide your God complex I see.

13. Pearldiver profile image66

Back up first: I was referring to Aborting my efforts on writting a hub... surely you didn't take my words the wrong way???

Give your hub a chance!

1. Pearldiver profile image66

smile

14. profile image53
    Robubbaposted 14 years ago

The only time babies should be aborted is if their placenta attached to the fallopian tubs rather than the womb.  In that case, both members would die if the baby continued to live.

15. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Its a personal matter for that Christian to decide.

16. WTucker profile image60
    WTuckerposted 14 years ago

I beleive in regards to the original question as to whether abortion is ever right in regards to a christian i feel that if the mothers life is seriously endangered by the birth then she has the right to sacrifice the life of the baby for her own.  I understand that the rape scenario as well as the incest are hot topics and in those cases mybee it is up to the mother to kill the child but people should not misundrstanding that your are terminating a life.  The argument that it is the mothers body can be taken care of by passing a law that states a woman/man can terminate manipulate or extract any tissue that has the exact same DNA as the person with the exception being cancer and parasites.  I can not wrap my head around the concept of considering a fetus as part of the mothers body and not a seperate thing entirely.  Look at the fact that if a gunman kills a pregnant woman he gets charged with two counts of murder.

17. Pearldiver profile image66

Abortion is or should be of personal choice.

Clearly, there are many who disagree with this and that is fine with me.... Until I remember something a drunk vicar said once at a wedding breakfast.

He said; "Religion is a thing of personal choice. I have met some obnoxious believers and non believers whom; if you don't mind me saying; perhaps should have been drowned at birth!"

Clearly, he was not that drunk! big_smile

18. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

It's alright for anyone to have an abortion. Your so-called religious leaders, depending on the religion, may disagree.

Gee, how could anyone disagree?  Pro or con? Yes or no?  I would think that 'god' would unequivocally set everyone straight.

19. Eaglekiwi profile image75

It is between the person and, or couple and their own personal values.

It is no-one else business smile

I hope all women have all the choices available to them everywhere!!

Should women also have the choice to smoke crystal meth, prostitute themselves, mainline heroin, overdose on Oxycontin?

Those are all personal choices too, right?

Yes
        Bad choices with conseqences, but still individuals choice

No, not choices. All of them are illegal. Anyone who is pro-abortion is also obligated to support these 'rights to choose'. The hypocrisy of 'right to choose' is shocking.

20. mirandalloyd profile image59
    mirandalloydposted 14 years ago

I believe that aborting a child just because of a one-night stand that went bad is wrong, yes.

But there may be any number of factors influencing the decision to abort. Maybe the life of the mother is at risk, as some pointed out. Perhaps the child is malformed to the point of never being able to live outside the womb. Maybe the home situation is bad, and the mother doesn't want her child to grow up in that sort of environment. Maybe the financial situation is bad.

There's another consideration to take in: victims of rape or incest may choose to abort as well.

Kill a baby because you can't afford to raise it? What if you can't afford to raise the children that you already have? Do you support the 'right to choose' in that situation as well?

21. midcenturyman profile image61
    midcenturymanposted 14 years ago

And then there are the 55 million souls who never got the chance to live at all.  The ones killed in the womb while still babies.  On this issue, I have been a Conservative from the beginning.  The day I first heard what abortion was, I knew it my heart it was an abomination.  This has been the American Holocaust.  A stain on our National Soul.  I do not know how on earth anybody—regardless of political persuasion or spiritual beliefs—can think it is OK to kill an innocent human life in the very place designed to keep it safe during gestation—the womb of its own mother.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)