Why would a hubber visit one of my hubs 636 times?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (64 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

In light of the recent barrage of "alleged" copyright violations from sites that use my content without my permission, I'm wondering why one particular hubber has visited one of my hubs over 600 times. I'm flattered by the attention, although, I do not see any comments from this person.

Other hubs show over two hundred visits from one Hub Pages individual according to the stats at the top of the hub. These folks visit my hubs more often than I do. yikes

What could be the explanation for this? Should I be concerned? Any recommendations or suggestions?
    Peg

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peg, how can you tell who it is that visits your hubs? Am I missing something?

PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shauna, When you go to your hub, look at the top under edit, stats and delete. Select stats and it reverts to the total amount of visits, ever. If you choose month, week or day, it breaks down the visits further. That's where I'm seeing this particular hubber by their user name showing the number of visits.
        Peg

1. bravewarrior profile image88
          bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanx, Peg. I didn't know about that feature.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think when a member's name shows up, it means traffic was sent from a link that was on one of their hubs. You are upset about a person that is sending you lots of traffic. Instead, be happy.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
            Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is actually the related posts sending people to your hub. It is from the related posts on one hubber's page.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
              Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. peeples profile image93
              peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+2, This is accurate. It is the traffic coming from the related hubs at the bottom of one of their hubs.

Point well made, Peeples. Thank you.

2. PegCole17 profile image93

Curiosity and a desire to understand, not anger or unhappiness, inspired this post. I think you and several others have made the point quite clearly that it has to do with referral links. Good information.
            Nice to know and thanks so much for your input.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you know this through GA? Is it a technical or recipe Hub? Perhaps they keep checking how to do something properly/exactly.

Hi The Examiner-1,
        Sorry, what is "through GA"? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation - (I don't think you meant Georgia, right?).
        I see these warped type stats on a variety of topics, like a travel one (which was plagiarized in Turkey and used on an advert for an airlines - (Thankfully, that was resolved) and on recipes, and on a How To type and even on one about a soda product.
        Peg

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I meant Google Analytics Peg, I would have spelled it out but I thought everyone was familiar with the abbrev. I am know about stats/hide stats. I just have not used them for a while.

Did you check to see if it is a live Hubber, or a 'dead' Hubber. The dead ones just sign up and ask questions to gain followers, they do not write Hubs.

Thanks, T.E.-1, I wasn't thinking about the big Google.
            It is a live hubber .

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Why would a hubber visit one of my hubs 636 times?"

It's because I really, really like you. big_smile

Actually, the related-hubs thing is indeed the answer. And here's a true story...

I had a group of hubs whose traffic suddenly shot through the roof. Yep, it was because those hubs were related hubs showing up at the bottom of another Hubber's  hub. And her hub had gone absolutely, blisteringly viral.

And her hub stayed viral. I was indeed one happy camper.

Then the unbelievable happened...

She got into a combined forum feud and feud with HP; threw a hissy fit; deleted all her hubs and closed her account. I kid you not.

I believe I banged my head against the wall for a week after that. big_smile

Oh, nose, Paradigmsearch. That was a great story - the true blessings of association with a viral hub and then, the agony of defeat. And BTW, Para, I like you, too.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

+1. This is what is happening.

4. WilliamsDaniel profile image58
      WilliamsDanielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe the topic is interesting that she/he tend to visit it frequently.

Hi WilliamsDaniel,
        Some hubbers have suggested that the related hubs which appear at the bottom of a different hub have sent the traffic to my hub, not necessarily the individual hubber visiting that many times. Either way, the traffic is nice.

1. WilliamsDaniel profile image58

Well, that's great news! If I can publish my first hub, I'll add some related hub topics too. Hope for a good start! Thanks PegCole17 wink

Hi WilliamsDaniel, I believe I responded to your comment on the wrong thread so I'll say it again on this one. Congratulations on publishing your first hub and here's to encouraging you to write more.
            Peg

1. WilliamsDaniel profile image58

hehe. thanks PegCole17. Also thanks for leaving a comment on the article and for following me.  I really appreciate it. smile

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

It may not be that Hubber visiting you all those times. Your work may be one of the "Related Hubs" found at the bottom of his Hub, so after readers check out his stuff they're clicking to check out yours as well. Therefore, they show up as one your traffic sources.

Either that or he/she is a crazy stalker. I would prefer to go with Option #1 smile

Sorry, didn't see your reply, but yes, exactly what I mean.

Hi FatFreddysCat, It was option 2 that I was worried about. big_smile

3. csmiravite-blogs profile image75
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That happened to me too. I saw one popular hubber, a fellow Filipino, who writes on the same niche as I am (Accountancy), suddenly show up 250 plus views on one of my hub. I can't believe it! We are in the same profession, and can easily track each other down in the small city of Metro Manila.

However, I noticed that my hub is showing on her "Related Hub" so I guessed that her readers must be reading my hub too. This thread just confirms what I have thought all along.

smile

I'm glad to find out the root cause of my original inquiry has to do with related posts. That is reassuring in a way.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I think you're seeing statistics for the amount of visitors coming from their hubs to your hubs, and not how often the actual hubber is visiting your hubs.

Thanks, Jayne. Maybe that's it. Maybe not.
      Peg

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

Hub statistics don't show you which members visited your site.

1. missolive profile image60
          missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92

Of course not, and that's not what I said!!!

I said, "I think you're seeing statistics for the amount of visitors coming from their hubs [through 'Related Hubs'] to your hubs, and not how often the actual hubber is visiting your hubs."

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Those are Hubs which are referring general web traffic to you, not actual visits by the human who owns the account. 

However, if you did want to stop that, you can add that person's user name to the blacklist in your account settings, and you and they would no longer be connected via Related Hubs.  You have three slots where you can guarantee disassociation.

I've always thought that only applied to the 'Others You May Like Box'.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually you are correct on that.  But there's a great idea for expanding that feature.

I absolutely agree. I suspect the related hubs links could also be a cause of our hubs being hidden for certain key words in search results if they don't rank as highly as a related hub. It would be a great feature to experiment with.

Good to know, Ms. Relache. I trust your knowledge on this.

Jayne, I never knew what that meant, either, I mean, "Others You May Like". This is interesting.
        P

In the right sidebar on any profile page you visit, including your own, there's an 'Others You might like Box', where three hubbers are listed. The idea is that you take a look at their profiles, hopefully their hubs, too, and then start following them.

Jayne,
            I should have been more specific when I said that. I have used that feature, but often, wondered how they (HP) ascertained that these folks would be of interest to me. It reminds me of the ads that Facebook is plugging into my timeline stream. Perhaps I'm liking too many pictures of dogs on there since I get a boat load of animal related adverts.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was actually a little surprised to think you might not have noticed it before.

I guess HP shows hubbers who are similar to the hubber whose profile you're visiting. I've never actually bothered clicking on any of the hubbers listed there, to be perfectly honest ...

Jayne, I don't use it often and when I do...I usually scratch my head in wonderment.
                P

Oh, hi, Relache. No, I don't want to prevent traffic going to my hubs in any sense. I have just been curious over time as to why this occurs. smile

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

The same thing happened to me once; I saw a bunch of visits originating from a particular HP domain and thought that hubber must be stalking me.

I also posted about it on the forums, but another hubber filled me in. LOL, turned out, the would-be stalker had a related hub which was sending me tons of traffic! This person was not a stalker; in fact, they probably didn't even know I existed -- but their traffic was helping me out a great deal.

Unfortunately, my hub is no longer listed on their hub. sad

Hi SmartAndFun, sending me a ton of traffic would be quite welcomed. Having a stalker would definitely not. sad

2. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it is great that you are getting a lot of traffic however it may be.  I did not know one can see how many times a hubber visits our hubs?  When I am reading a hub and then comment, but scroll back up and see another hubber who I want to check out, I will do so from their comment on that hub, so I will not forget.  That is a lot of views!

Hi Faith, I'm happy for the traffic and glad to know it is nothing to worry about. Apparently, it has to do with the referral links that show up at the bottom of someone else's hub that generates the traffic.

In the past I had a huge amount of traffic that appeared overnight on one of my hubs (like 10k views) and I found out someone had linked it to a traffic generator type site - which is against the Terms of Service for Hub Pages. So I'm careful to question sources of traffic these days.

Nice to see you today.
        Peg

6. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 9 years ago

I wonder about that too.  I have several hubs that receive regular visits from certain hubbers and they never leave comments.  I don't really keep track of them, but every once in a while I'll open the stats on one of my hubs and there will be some hubber I have never heard of who has viewed that hub 40 or 90 or 500 times (or more). 

One of the hubbers has written on the same subject as the hub s/he visits regularly and frequently.  They don't have to visit a hub 40 or 500 times to steal it, so I find it a curiosity.  Hope you find the answer through this forum.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the answer has been provided. Read the various replies above, if you're curious to know the answer, as well. smile

1. Au fait profile image85
        Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks SmartandFun.  This question appeared in my feed and I answered it there.  I thought it was a new question and had no idea there had already been so much discourse on the subject.

Au fait, I'm always happy to have you join in the conversation. I'm surprised at the response, myself.
          Peg
          cool

Au fait, I'm learning a lot from the responses here. Glad to know it's not just me. We'll get to the bottom of this.
      Peg

1. Au fait profile image85
        Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

PegCole17 . . .

I have a few listings of people under "traffic" from my accounts page who supposedly visit my hubs regularly.  Not just where it shows different hubbers as visiting in the stats on the hub itself, but you know where 'traffic' is listed on the accounts page?  When I click on that it tells me where most of my traffic is coming from, which search engines, etc., and there are a few individual hubbers listed there too.

I'm glad if it's just referrals.  I feel better about that.  It just seemed odd that people I had never had contact with were reading my hubs like crazy.  I'm glad you asked this question.  It's nice to know the answer isn't something sinister. smile

I check that traffic source, too, Au fait. Sometimes it does feel somewhat sinister, or perhaps, I'm just paranoid from all the copy cat plagiarists. It's a depressing battle with those folks. I'd like to yell, "Hey people, do your OWN work!" but I don't speak Russian or Chinese or Turkish.

7. missolive profile image60
    missoliveposted 9 years ago

yes, they are visits from readers of their hub to your related hub. For example, we both wrote about HP referral trackers and I get quite a few views from your hub (and hopefully vice versa for you). Same with other related hubs and related hubbers. I would consider it a positive thing, you are getting traffic. smile

Hello MissOlive, Well, this explains quite a lot. Once you wrote your hub about referral trackers, and your hub outranked mine on Google, my traffic tanked. sad
      I've often wondered what happened to my (once) "most frequented" hub. Oh, well. Live and learn. BTW, I have 5 visits from you, total on that hub. Mystery solved.
      Peg

1. missolive profile image60
        missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh no! Seriously?! ugh. I made that hub on the request of an old Facebook group I was in.
        That particular hub has dropped quite a bit, especially after our huge turnover last year. Actually, most of my views came from a related youtube video I had made.

Hmmmmm, I'm going to go check the stats on that.

Thanks, MissOlive. I watched your Youtube video this morning. It had 144 views. Nicely done. At one time, my hub with the same topic had 836 comments which I foolishly deleted when the page loading became really slow. It's a live and learn process.
          All the best,
          Peg

8. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 9 years ago

For cases where these are actual visits from one person, there could be another perfectly innocent explanation.  Some folks have their browsers set to open not with a home page, but with the tabs that were open when they last closed.  Some of these same people habitually have lots of tabs - like, 50, maybe even 100 - open at any given time.  They might even delay organizing or closing certain tabs for up to a year.  (Cough, shuffle.)  So the visit might be a kind of passive visit, but not a real visit.

Not sure if every website counts simply loading a page as a new visit, but some might...

Hello Fiction Teller, Amazing to have that many tabs open. My laptop gets really hot and starts whining when I leave it on too long, so I close everything down each night. Also, I have built in options to delete cookies and browser history when it shuts down, so that helps with maintaining proper speed.
      Thanks for joining in here to give us your slant on this.
      Peg

9. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 9 years ago

I have notice when a hubber has been on one of my hubs many, many times and I check their profile. I will find they have made up a hub that is close to what the hub is that they have been on so much. They’re not copying, but they are making hubs almost as close as they can get to my hub.  Their hubs do not have links to mine and there are no links to mine in their related hubs.

I do that same thing, Moonlake. When I find another hubber (or related links from their site) showing up on my stats pages, I check out their work to see what's up.

10. redtiger357 profile image60
    redtiger357posted 9 years ago

thanks Peg smile  I didn't know about that feature either smile  world of information here and its great to hear that your blog brought so many readers smile con grats

Hello Redtiger357, Nice to meet you here. You can tell from a person's profile how many views they have by looking at their accolades on their profile - although there are some major gaps between the icons. For example, a hubber will get an accolade at 100k views and not again until they reach 1,000,000 views, which some have reached and exceeded.

I see from your profile that you like to write and have been here 4 years, yet you have no posted hubs. That's interesting. I hope you will consider posting some of your work. The hub community is eager to help and a great place to hone our writing skills.
      Peg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)