Golden Age in America:

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

"Golden Age: denotes a period of primordial peace, harmony, stability, and prosperity." Thesaurus.

This prosperity would include advancements in education, science and technology art, literature, music and ? Perhaps we have had a golden age in America, Perhaps we are headed toward one...

Questions:

If (since) we are not in a Golden Age yet, what would bring it about?

If there was a Golden Age in America, (some say it was in the late 50's and 60's) why did it not last?

Why did President Obama's policies not bring about the Hope we all had?  Hope for what?

1. conradofontanilla profile image67
      conradofontanillaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A country that does injustice to peoples of other countries does not have any golden age. The United States conquered the Philippines when the latter had just gained freedom from Spain through an armed revolution. America annexed the Philippines as her first imperial possession in early 1900s. Up to now USA is perpetuating neocolonialism.

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought we tried to help the Philippines.  No? Are the people bitter toward the US? I've never heard this opinion expressed before. I thought the philippines was a democratic nation doing well with happy, talented, thriving people.

1. conradofontanilla profile image67
          conradofontanillaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are people who like the US, who are the collaborators, who have been indoctrinated by the Americans and the collaborators. Even those who are suffering now because of American imperialism who are not aware of imperialism like the US. There were Americans who did not want the annexation of the Philippines like Mark Twain and his group. But they were the minority, or they were the less powerful in terms of policy making and execution.
          A Filipino historian, Teodoro A. Agoncilllo, National Scientist in History, author of books, said that the Americans did more damage to the Philippines in about 50 years than the Spaniards did in over 300 years.

How?

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
      Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only ones who think the 50s and 60s were a Golden Age are racists and McCarthyists. And those two groups tend to be the same people.

If there was a Golden Age in America, it would probably be the late 80s to early 2000s (you know exactly when it came to an end). Think about it: It was the last time we had a financial surplus (gogo Clinton and, surprisingly, Bush Sr., who was probably the only decent Republican president we've had for a while, new taxes notwithstanding), the only war being fought during that time was the low-intensity Desert Storm (where we basically just wanted to show off our new toys), the economy was in a really good place, TV and movies were entering their own golden ages, some great music was coming out (gogo grunge, goth rock, shoegaze, and European heavy metal!), and violent crime rates began to plummet to historic lows in the mid-90s (conveniently after the launch of ultra-violent video games like Mortal Kombat, Wolfenstein, and Doom).

So yeah, the period of time between 1987 and 2001 would be my contender for any potential Golden Age.

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow. Come on, same kind of bias could be attributed to the 80s-2000s... just a bunch of rich ppl trying to get richer. Nothing but selfish, greedy, lazy, upper class citizens lying, cheating and stealing to get to the top, no matter who they had to step on.

Human nature is flawed no matter what the generation.

- thats it? No golden age coming forth some time or other, Beth?

Kitchen 
          "The main function of a kitchen is cooking or preparing food but it may also be used for dining, food storage, *entertaining,* dishwashing and laundry." Thesaurus. hmmm…
          So a kitchen could be spacious enough to include a spot for drums and amps and stuff…maybe elevated.
             ...and why not an art studio nearby with its own sink? (An art studio should be near people and not tucked away in some remote part of the dwelling. One kids can easily access.)
          - what is a better name for "kitchen.."

In my opinion, the  $  is not the problem… its the stepping on others to get it.

Wouldn't there be a better way to generate $ in the golden ages?
          I've heard a type of barter system might evolve.
          I also heard we might have flying machines.
          I also heard stories about the days of Atlantis where there was a giant energy generating crystal…
          What happened to NikolaTesla? I keep hearing about him too. Maybe he or others from the higher realms will reincarnate and give mankind another chance to tap into the variety of ways to use electricity for energy/power...

1. Sed-me profile image79
            Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Im sorry, I was responding to Z's post, not yours. I went back and read yours...
            I guess my issue would be with the definition of a Golden Age... in my mind, it would be when we'd done the most to help others. When our resources were plentiful, but we didn't hoard them, we invested them into the needy of the world. To me, that would denote something beautiful, something worth reading in the history books... but they didn't ask for my definition did they? So I don't really have a lot to offer on the matter.

It is a worthwhile goal. One our leaders should be sensitive to, but not to the point of taxing the rest.
              This mentality is what is bringing us further and further from the...

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

America at this point is in one of the darker period of history.  The economy is precarious with high unemployment.  The high level jobs are few while the majority of jobs are low wage, service end jobs.  Some of these jobs would be called Mcjobs.   America is about to go into yet a darker period with the influx of illegals who will tax our social services, resulting in an escalation of taxes.   The middle class is hanging by a thin thread.   Many in the middle class are becoming the new poor.   There is a sharper income divide between the wealthy and the not so wealthy. 

America is going through a cleansing period.  A college education is now the new high school, especially if one majors in the humanities, soft sciences, and liberal arts.  In order to obtain a decent entry level job, one has to have AT LEAST a Master's Degree.  Those who will win in the career game are those who major in the hard sciences, technology, computer sciences, medical/health sciences, mathemathics, and engineering.  Other than that, expect to have a low wage Mcjob.

No, it isn't pretty folks at all.  The new work environment is going to be more of a jungle than it was in the middle to late 20th century.  Employers have employees by the reins.  Employees(unless they have a specialty or a brand) have to put up because the latter know that jobs are scarce.  Employers know this and they literally have carte blanche to treat the employee in any fashion they want as long as it isn't discriminatory.   In essence, employees in the early 21st century with the socioeconomic climate as precarious as it is, had better toll the line.   Also, employers have more power in states where employment is at will.   The corporate climate in the early 21st century is going to be akin to surviving in a prison.   Those who can navigate the corporate environment are the ones who will survive, thrive, and rise to the top.  Those who are clueless regarding their corporate environment will be proverbially chewed out. 

America is going to get much worse socioeconomically before it becomes better.   America is in the Great Recession and it will take years to revamp the economy and get it working again.   In the meanwhile, the socioeconomic climate of America as we know it in the middle to late 20th century will be no more.  More jobs than ever will be automated via computers and advanced technologies.  The high level jobs will require a high level of computer and technical skills.   Besides that, the average high level job will require AT LEAST a Master's Degree or more.  From the 21st century on, a mere Bachelor's Degree will no longer suffice for a high level position.   A Bachelor's Degree, especially in the liberal arts, will suffice in higher level clerical jobs and in service jobs.  In addition to that, it will be a requirement for Americans to be at least bilingual if not multilingual.  This is necessary if Americans are to becoming more global in orientation.   The American of yesterday who is only proficient in one language will become passe.

gm, what about the people who are not adapting well to technology… computers, ipads, laps tops.. smart phones… Is there any hope for the ones who have saved nothing for retirement?   … who are still working construction type jobs, or for the government… You paint a very gloomy picture. but it's only in theory…
        Right?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

In the Golden Ages, houses will not be rectangular as they are today and kitchens will be designed to be more user friendly. Kitchens will be the heart of these non-rectangular structures. They will be adjacent to home gardens and orchards. A hydroponic room for growing certain foods will also be part of the kitchen. The kitchen will have a new name.. what?
    The kitchen of the future will have actual fire for cooking, not microwave ovens. or digital stuff… or will it?
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/528525 … op-concept

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

In the Golden Ages people will be smart enough to realize that nothingness cannot create somethingness.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Kitchens will be called living area centers or LAC's for short. "We'll be in the LAC at three if you want to join us for popcorn and Junior's band practice." And there will be no more "living rooms" as we know them today. They will be called technology centers. Or TC's for short. "Do you want to help me do my calculus homework tonight, father?"
    "Yes, son, I'll see you in the TC at eight. We'll watch the Blue Ray I got you about Calculus."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)