1 in 4 Americans Doesn't Know the Earth Revolves Around the Sun

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image86
    Sychophantasticposted 10 years ago

According to Discovery.com, 1 in 4 Americans does not know that the Earth orbits the Sun. Does this say anything about America? Who are these people?

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? That's weird.

Are they all under 5 years old?

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
        Melissa A Smithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I fail to see what is so strange or shocking about that. People here act as though it's like not knowing the Earth is round.

2. Sneha Sunny profile image85
      Sneha Sunnyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Really this IS weird!

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the term is, "Scientifically Illiterate". Of course, that is Discovery.com, not a whole lot of credibility there.

4. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Having done this line of work, I can tell you that whatever shocking result poll results you want to get, you can always get by taking your samples from bus stations, homeless shelters, and other places where you're apt to find people who have bizarre notions of reality.  If you do phone polls with land-line listings, the people most likely to stay on the phone with are those with nothing better to do, and pranksters who will give you crazy answers as revenge.  Normal people will hang up as soon as they know it's a survey.

The other thing they do make the question different from the statistic.  They'll ask, "Do you have a map of Afganistan?" which will become "1 in 3 Canadians can't find Afganistan on map."   Please take these "shocking" stats with a big spoonful of salt.

5. TwerkZerker profile image74
      TwerkZerkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've met hundreds of people in my lifetime, and not one of them DOESN'T believe that Earth revolves around the Sun.

Either this "statistic" is a load of crap or South Dakota is the brainiest state in the nation.

Did you actually ask hundreds of people this question?

1. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Melissa, even the most unsophisticated person knows that the earth revolves around the sun.  People may be unknowledgeable(cannot say the other words because such words are bannable)but not that unknowledgable about the most rudimentary basics of science.  What is said that 1 in 4 Americans don't know that the earth revolves around the sun is an exaggeration.  Can people be that clueless?  No, NOT in this day and time when knowledge is easily accessible. Conversely, if IT'S true, America has really regressed to a new scientific low.  This would take scientific illiteracy to ANOTHER level.

Can't say I agree. It's your word against mine, and this so-called study also agrees with me. I do not find it to be a big deal to get the 'sun' question wrong. Knowledge is easily accessible but I've never found myself looking up anything related to astronomy. Everyone seems to have deficiencies in many areas of science and answer obvious questions wrong. Many people are unaware that 'bugs' are animals.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
              Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

- you mean insects…?

I mean anything that is considered a bug, insects, arachnids, annelids, certain mollusks. Mostly arthropods.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Uh uh, Melissa, bugs are animals.  What else are they?  Please Melissa say that it isn't so please!  There are three forms which are mineral, vegetable, and animal.  I learned this in elementary school sciene class and read encyclopedias and books on the subject.  Now, I am SICK , thinking that there ARE actually people out there who DON'T know this basic scientific fact.  I am TIRED, now off to sleep.

well, I didn't know.. how could I? I never took a biology class. (dissected cats in Physiology) not one ever... Not explained in elementary school either!

Animal: any of a kingdom (Animalia) of living things including many-celled organisms and often many of the single-celled ones (as protozoans) that typically differ from plants in having cells without cellulose walls, in lacking chlorophyll and the capacity for photosynthesis, in requiring more complex food materials (as proteins), in being organized to a greater degree of complexity, and in having the capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor responses to stimulation.
                Source(s):
                http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionar…
                oh my ignorance!
                But, now I know! Thanks, Melissa!

Yes, there are many animals I can post here that certainly don't look like such.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image96

Now I'm confused...they taught you how to classify elements in elementary school with a game show?

1. gmwilliams profile image84

No, was taught by reading science books and by looking at slides in class.    My parents also taught me about scientific elements.   There were scientific encyclopedias on nature, science, and natural history.  I remember receiving such encyclopedias in 3rd grade.

Well, there you have it, gm!

I did not have those encyclopedia because my parents HAD TOO MANY CHILDREN and didn't have money for a complete set!.. We had a few unmatched ones .. but not a complete set like the RICH kids…
                    I'm just being funny. smile  I do not like being on your bad side, gm!

2. Melissa A Smith profile image96

Er it's just that I was a science major and I never heard the 'animal, mineral, vegetable' grouping anywhere. I looked it up and it's from a show called '20 questions'....

6. gmwilliams profile image84

YOU'RE joking, aren't you now?    Everyone knows that the earth revolves around the sun.   No one is that clueless.   Anyone who went to school knows THAT!  Even the most cloistered person KNOWS that!  You are taught that the earth revolves around the sun in 3rd grade science class;  I was!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9084213_f248.jpg
      Isn't it amazing that there ARE still people who don't know that the earth revolves around the sun?
      No, it is totally implausible to say the LEAST!  C'mon people, no one can be that......well, UNKNOWING.  Was going to say something else but I will try to hold my tongue.  ARE such people still around?  Thought THE LAST REMNANTS of such folk died out by the 16th century!

2. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

the universe dose not revolve around what humans think. but most think we are the last word on things. nothings changes. we are still self centered

3. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

calculus? liked your post. nice to meet ya

4. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Maybe they are babies and if so, it's not their fault. They don't know their own names yet.

(Also, shouldn't the title read "don't know"? So... never mind. S'all good.)

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The NSF (National Science Foundation) poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono … 140214.htm

1. Sed-me profile image78
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Again, ages were not included. I fear they are only interviewing babies which would largely skew the study!

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53

You don't seriously believe that, do you? Babies? Can babies even understand or respond to a poll? Obviously, these are all adults.

Oh my goodness. You are fun.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image53

But of course, I didn't really expect you to do any homework yourself, but instead will just say something that makes no sense...

"Researchers and government officials—particularly those responsible for scientific research and education—use data collected from the U.S. adult population to monitor public knowledge of and attitudes toward a variety of science-related issues and topics.

Randomly selected English or Spanish speaking persons age 18 or over, living in noninstitutional arrangements within the United States"

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/srvyattitude/#sd

Huh... I guess it wasn't babies after all. Thanks for researching that for me, my friend. smile

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

And do you know why we have seasons? Do you realize astronomy is not taught in High School? Very few people have the opportunity to visit a Griffith Park type Observatory, a JPL or Cal Tech Open House or a space museum in their home town or nearby city. How many space museums are there in the US? How many teachers of Astronomy are there? How many people take Astronmy? Is it a required course in college?

I took it in college because I was fascinated. Because I was encouraged to look up into the night sky and told the names of the planets and constellations as a child. We had a telescope and watched as the moon left our view so quickly due to the turning of the earth. 

Today, there is so much real information that kids are not even introduced to unless through reading a text book in elementary school,(usually boring or hard to understand.) There is so much they do not know due the huge amount of entertainment encouraged and indulged in: Fantasy based videos, cartoons, video and computer games.
    I could go on… we all could.

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

It's not surprising at all. At least 3 out of 4 Americans think Wendy Williams is a woman.

well, I wondered, but without seeing the proof…

what IS your proof?

curious

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
        wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand your question. I'm one of the 3 out of 4!

Is Wendy Williams a man? How do you know if Wendy Williams is a man or not…Surely you do not believe Wendy Williams is a man without proof!  I mean actual Physical Proof! (a photo… a selfie..  a little drone fly with a video camera…)
          I guess thats what you're saying…
          never mind.

Why don't we all just google.

What? and believe the words we READ???? From the INTERNET?
              (What do the words say, sed me/Beth?)

I googled. I got a shock dj turned tv host. Background says nothing of being born a man. I never know what anyone is talking about and now that I've googled, I feel even less informed.

- has any one invented that little drone fly, yet? oh, we're not in the golden ages yet.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
            wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I was bored and making a joke. But seriously. I have worked as a professional musician all my life, save for my time in the military. I have played everywhere: redneck honkytonks, biker bars, roadhouses, gay and lesbian bars. I have seen and conversed with many lesbians who have masculine features. In spite of this, none of them looked like a man to me.

They simply looked like masculine women. Wendy Williams on the other hand "does not"  look like a woman with masculine features. Instead, she appears to be a man with feminine features. No, my instinct based on my experiences is not proof positive that Wendy is a man. But my instinct tells me that she is. One thing I find suspicious is that several years ago she showed pictures of herself as a little girl on one of her shows. Although I have seen childhood pictures of other celebrities, I have never seen them displayed in the context of a broadcast that appeared to have no connection to the photos being displayed. It's as if she was trying too hard to convince the public of her female gender.

It's amazing how non-astronomic this sounds.

Sed-me sez the funniest things. But, sometimes I don't get it…
                what is 'non-astronomic?"

lol... sorry, I was just wondering what the op was on, so I went back and looked. I can see how this would have bunny trailed into wrench biscuits venues into biker, gay/lesbian bars etc. etc... but I still couldn't help but notice that it had nothing to do with the earth revolving around the sun. If it gives me more credibility with whatever subject we are talking about... I have spoken to quite a few lesbians as well. Does it matter if the ones I spoke to had masculine features or not? Let me know and I will include that info in my next post! I like to stay on topic.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

BTW music is what makes the world spin on its axis!  I bet people did not know that either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)