Lawyer stole one of my Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. carolynkaye profile image94
    carolynkayeposted 9 years ago

Some bankruptcy attorney stole one of my hubs and uses it on his business website. I sent two emails politely asking him to take it down and never got a response back. I did file a DMCA through Google and they said it was approved a couple weeks ago, but that page on his site is still up. Does of DMCA just remove it from the search results or do they delete the page? There's no info about which web hosting company runs his site, so...any other ideas?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google does not have the authority or ability to delete anything from someone else's server.  Unless that page is on a computer Google owns (meaning blogger), Google can do nothing but remove it from their search engine.

File with whoever is hosting the site.  See my carousel or the learning center for information on how to do that.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Carol, have you tried phoning him or sending him a registered letter? You might even get a respectable-but-firm lawyer yourself to look into this.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Carolyn

Sorry your content has been copied.

What you want to do first is find the hosting company via the WHOIS info for the site.
      Here is a WHOIS lookup tool
      who.godaddy.com

Once you determine the hosting company, file a DMCA NOI with them.

Here are instructions for filing a DMCA NOI.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

Google should be a last resort (unless they are the host) as removing a page from SERPs has no effect on the still being online.  It just makes it harder for people to find it.

1. carolynkaye profile image94
        carolynkayeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't seem to list a hosting company for this guy. It looks like he registered his domain (and at least 72 others) with godaddy.com, but I can't seem to locate anything about who hosts the site. Would it say hosting company or server when I do a whois search?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this
  2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

You could send a complaint to the state bar and/or better business bureau.  I bet that would get his attention.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. carolynkaye profile image94

Thanks for good suggestions. I'll have to decide what to try. This guy is pretty sleazy. He posted my article verbatim and then changed the title a bit.

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years ago

Carolyn, I wish I could answer this for you, but I would not know where to begin. Hope you have success in getting it taken down.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Enter the domain in question into http://www.whoishostingthis.com

Even if the domain registration info is falsified, this will tell you where the site is really coming from.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Ya know... Seems to me a lawyer would be the last person on the planet to pull a stunt like this. Makes me wonder if he is even a real lawyer. I still really like psycheskinner's earlier suggestion.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, many real businesses hire crap web builders.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now that is a very good point. I've seen other posts where the so-called thief was in fact a victim of a third party who had sold them stolen content.

7. profile image77
    infostreamnetworkposted 9 years ago

The DMCA notice will only remove it from search engines as they don't have access to the actual website. Though it is worth noting that Google is very good at identifying duplicate content so posting it will hurt the website and not your hub. If you want to find information about the hosting company you can try Whois.

8. carolynkaye profile image94

Thank you all for the help, ideas and suggestions. I did finally find that this person's site is hosted with Godaddy, so I have to send them an email with all the info so they can look into it. He seems to be an actually lawyer in NJ and has at least 72 registered domains so I wonder where he finds the time. I like the ideas about filing with bar association or BBB as well, but who knows if this guy would try to do something against me for reporting him. If he has the time to go around the net and steal articles for his site, he might not have anything better to do.

9. carolynkaye profile image94

Just an update on this... I sent a letter to GoDaddy about the stolen content and they got back to me within 48 hours of receiving it to let me know the site owner took down the copied page. Case closed. Thanks again everyone for suggestions on how to deal with this.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yippee--aye--oooo-Ky--yea!

10. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Stealing content is one of the worst web-building scams out there, but it still goes on like crazy, especially with companies that outsource the labor.  People hire a legit designer, and then that person outsources to the cheapest online bidder to get written content.  Or that new web intern you got for the summer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)