Do you have your own domain? Hosting sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm curious how many hubber's have their own domain?  I've been researching this for over a year & have yet to make a decision on weather to purchase a domain site to host my blog, etc.

I am not versed in HTML & my mind does not think in HTML, so creating a web site is not for me.  I wanted to add a new theme to my blog page & I may be able to create it in Photoshop, I can't figure out how to upload & work the codes.

If you have your own domain, did you build it yourself or do you use one of the many domain sites out there? What is the best hosting site?

j

2. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I have, for the last couple of months. I use wordpress, and not HTML.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

a plenty, myself, and I use several that all were good so far

4. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
    Tom Rubenoffposted 14 years ago

I am "master of my domain LOL"

I own rubecom.us for my own entertainment.

5. creativeMind profile image63
    creativeMindposted 14 years ago

@ Jane@CM

You can use your own domain name with blogger.com.
    The settings are done by default if you purchase domain name via blogger.. No need to know any html.

Blogger will host your blog for free too...

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do use Blogger right now.  I didn't know you could host your domain on there..very cool, thanks!

6. Jane@CM profile image61

I have a Wordpress free site..is it worth paying for?  I haven't figured out how to put Adsence into it yet.  Blogger is just easier for me.

Misha, & others, do you care to share your what domains you've used that work well for you & is the cost worth it?

7. Kya profile image61
    Kyaposted 14 years ago

Go Daddy is very popular, they offer domains, webhosting and easy site builders: www.godaddy.com. They are active all over the world. I use www.strato.com, which also offers very easy site building, but they only work in Europe.

8. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I just started to experiment with website creation by using the free blogs at WordPress.com, but I definitely plan to purchase my own domains & hosting once I feel more comfortable in what I'm doing. I'm basically experimenting to see if I can get ranked, get traffic, etc. before branching out on my own.

I have heard some nasty stories about GoDaddy.com but don't have personal experience to share.

There's my two cents (due to the recession, they are not worth much, though). lol

9. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 14 years ago

I have a few different domain names.  They serve different purposes.  At this point, I am running everything off of wordpres, but I used to create my webpages from scratch (using html and css).  I have had my domain names for at least 6 years.

10. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Yup. I do. But I had an awful lot of help with it. I doubt very much I could've done it myself. In fact - I know so.

Anyway. Mines a baby. Slowly starting to walk. Mostly I write about hubbers. Because A) I can, B) they don't know I'm doing it and C) I need some juice and there's plenty around hubpages.

And I think I'm gonna go write about RooBee now. She's our Pin-Up HubBabe big_smile

RooBs ... I need some sultry pictures please. Thanks in advance ...

11. profile image0
    sbeakrposted 14 years ago

I absolutely LOVE Squarespace.com.  They are a pay site that hosts my blog/portfolio...I have a registered domain that I mask-forward to their site.  (You can check my HubPages profile for a link to my own site, if you'd like an example.)

I pay because I get a ton of space and some really sleek templates; plus, their User's Manual is fantastic, and the site is incredibly user-friendly.  I can design but am not much of a programmer yet, so it's the perfect place for me.  They do all your pinging; you can add keywords, categories and pages galore, and Squarespace tracks everything you need to know about traffic.

If you're not ready to hand-design your own blog, I can't recommend Squarespace highly enough.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I use Bluehost, Hostican, Godaddy, Hostgator, Valuehost. All are in the area below $10 per month, and I did not have a serious problem with any of them.

13. Jane@CM profile image61

Great feedback, thanks everyone.

Currently I pay 10.95 for a website through the company I am a consultant for - but I can't add anything to it...its for the company.

I need to research WordPress a bit more.  I've already started designing my own page layout - which I can do in Photoshop, but still in the learning process.

Frogdropping...you are so cute smile

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jane - now that's a really cool thing to be called. Cute. I like that. Very much big_smile

I wish I could tell you what I paid. I can't because I'm terrible at details. I also don't even know who hosts the site. Ummm ... *goes away to check*

NB RooBs? Pics? Ta smile

14. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I use GoDaddy and have never had an issue with them. Their 24x7 customer service is absolutely top notch.

I do have some Wordpress blogs, but am now a total Joomla convert and will never create another thing in Wordpress. Joomla is a CMS (content management system), and you can build a blog or a full-blown website with it. The learning curve is a bit more than WordPress, but well worth the effort.

15. charlemont profile image75
    charlemontposted 14 years ago

Doing a bit of research helps to find some real bargains in the hosting industry. Promotional coupons, codes, discount offers are all over the place. Also, often buying 1 year of hosting entitles to a free domain (so there's no need to purchase one through another registar).

16. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I've had my own domain for 11 years come September.

17. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub on this issue: http://hubpages.com/hub/your-first-webs … beginners.  And yes, I do have some affiliate links on that hub--I mention it in the interest of full disclosure (although it won't cost you anything to read the hub). 

There are two important points: owning your own domain name is one thing, having it go live on the internet is another.  In order to have your domain name go live on the internet, you must obtain a web hosting service.  And not all webhosts are alike: some will, for a relatively modest fee, allow you unlimited bandwidth (this is the capacity used up by all of your website visitors) while others will limit your bandwidth. 

There are two services that will let you get the domain name and they will host it for free.  One of them is Blogger/Blogspot, which others have mentioned here.  But they will only let you use the blog format.  The other is Weebly, which will let you have both a blog and a "regular" static website.  I believe Weebly makes it easy to set up your website, no need to be a computer geek to do it. 

Let me also note however, that if you buy your domain name through Weebly, it's about $30-$40.  I think you can buy the domain name for cheaper elsewhere (like Go Daddy, for about $10) and still use it on Weebly.  And just so you know, you can also buy your domain name through Blogger/Blogspot for use there and I think it's about $10 there.

18. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

Oops, I forgot to mention Wordpress.  Wordpress has a website (Wordpress.com) where you can set up your own Wordpress blog for free but I don't think you can get your own domain name (it'll be "yourowndomainname.wordpress.com").  Also, I don't think they allow you to use it to make any money, whether it be through affiliate links or AdSense or anything similar (check it though, I might be wrong). 

You can also use the Wordpress blogging software for free on your own website but you may have to set it up.  However, some of the web hosting companies will mostly set it up for you--I know Bluehost and Go Daddy both do this.

19. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I own my domains domains. Currently I am not using wordpress or anything like that on any of them. Doing HTML PHP etc... Although I plan to use wordpress on one of my domains in future.

20. anime_nanet profile image58
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

Bought a domain recently and I'm currently scratching my head with wordpress, php and css...

21. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, just found out you can't put adsense into WP blogs- *smacks self on head* Can you import your content from wp.com once you purchase your own domain??

So, frog, your flattering words have induced profuse blushing.
    Do u mean pics like this one where I had just gotten out of bed and had my photo snapped at random or do you want something more deliberate?
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/hermyspace/hermyspacesite/images/sexy/1220update/24.jpg
    lol

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That'll be the one ...

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn, wish I looked that good right out of bed smile

1. curiozities profile image60
          curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it's any consolation, here's what I look like out of bed:

http://blog.datehookup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1-fat-man-at-computer.jpg

smile

2. curiozities profile image60
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  According to Wordpress.com you can export your posts into XML (follow this link http://en.wordpress.com/features/ and scroll down the page to "No Lock-in"), and then you can import that into your self-hosted Wordpress blog (http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content#WordPress).  Although according to Wordpress.com, and I am quoting directly via cut and paste, "In the future you’ll be able to show your own ads and make money from your blog." 

No telling when that future might be and if they will charge for the service.

3. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you use wordpress on your own domain, you can - I do, and have adverts from adsense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)