The Big 50!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. ocfireflies profile image71
    ocfirefliesposted 9 years ago

Have you or someone you know celebrated his or her 50th birthday?  If so, how did you or your friend make the day special?  Did you have an elaborate themed party or do something more intimate?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have, but to me it was just a normal day. I was never into exciting B-day parties.

ocfirefliesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah!  It IS just another day.  My fun with B-days have ebbed and flowed over the years.  I have had more fun planning the day for others than really getting into my own.  I threw a prom for one friend on her B-day because she did not go to her own prom when she was in high school.  She brought her HUGE dog (can't remember the breed) as her date.

When my ex turned 40, I blew his mind.  I drove him to work in a bona fide ambulance.  To this day, I can't believe I was able to talk the guys into allowing me "borrow" the ambulance that day.

I did not like surprise parties either.

Neither do I unless it is something my sons or young nieces have concocted.  When my oldest was only 11, he decided to throw me a surprise party because he wanted to cheer me up.  Because I suffer from major depression, I have "spells" where I am really sad.  And he (with the help of others) pulled it off.  I was definitely surprised and it turned out to be a lovely evening.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://www.ice.gov/images/news/releases/2014/140307dallas3_lg.jpg

Gosh!  My imagination is running wild.  Please.  DO tell!  Smiles, Kim

He was probably having a party in the bar when the police walked in and maybe raided it.

paradigmsearch,

Inquiring minds want to know--such a provocative picture--smiles

Kim

2. cfin profile image66
        cfinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9155642_f248.jpg

cfin,
          In this picture, are you drinking alone?
          Kim

1. cfin profile image66

That would be Walter White from Breaking bad. The picture of the bar reminded me of that scene and your question of what to do on your birthday, well that was him on his birthday and that bar looked very much like the bar he was in.

If I was drinking on my own, (even if it was me) how would I have taken the picture big_smile

I think I may be the only person left in the universe who has not seen "Breaking Bad."
              But you are absolutely correct in that if it had been you, you would have had to have incredible photographic skills in order to take that picture.

Smiles-Kim

1. cfin profile image66

And a very long arm big_smile

Perhaps, you had set up a camera so that you could take this picture of yourself because you thought it would be a cool picture and all your photographer friends were busy.  Smiles

just perhaps...

1. cfin profile image66

Maybe my photographer friends really worked for Ice, and had plotted to have me deported. That's why they were outside the bar. I could hear them and thought 'I better finish my drink and be on my way.'

No better way to exit than the window in the bathroom.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From reading, dear Kim, it sounds like you have the creative party throwing down to a science!  I love throwing birthday parties for my children and now grandchildren!!!  I threw some really great ones for my children growing up.  I really treasure each birthday now more than ever before after I was healed from having breast cancer.  So each day I am still on the planet is a wonderful blessing.  I try to remember that each time another birthday rolls around, and appreciate that I made it to another year.  As long as our beloved ones are close, then you cannot go wrong with any party.  Blessings and have a blast and hope your Birthday is tremendous and the best one yet, as you deserve the best this life has to offer.  Hugs

Faith,

I have been creative a time or two, but that is because I enjoy being behind the scenes rather than in front of it.  I do feel very blessed.  I never thought I would make it to this age for numerous reasons so it feels that much more special.   The only thing I have requested is that I am allowed to stay home.
        Home is where it is at and long as my loved ones are with me, it will be a lovely night.  Many hugs to you my dear friend and here's to both of us enjoying many more birthdays.

Much Love,

Kim

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a big celebration on my 40th birthday.  I kept very quiet about my 50th!   

I think the thing was, when I hit 40 I was relieved to find that I still looked in pretty good shape - if I told people I was 40, the reaction was "wow, you don't look it" and if strangers guessed my age, they always guessed much younger.   So I could afford to celebrate my age and feel smug about it!!!

However by the time I hit 50, everything was starting to head south and I'd gained menopausal weight, and people were being too darn accurate about my age.  So I didn't feel like celebrating any more birthdays!

Marisa Wright,

I can't even remember the 40th, but I do know I looked and felt much younger.  Smiles.  Since my young nieces have decided upon a Renaissance theme and have told me they have a special dress for me to wear, I am hoping the dress will fit.  I can remember some of my older friends telling me, "Just wait until to you hit 50...gravity hits."  And that seems to be the case.  Oh well...I may not be in as good of shape as when I was 40, but I do hope I am little wiser.

Blessings,

Kim

5. Genna East profile image83
      Genna Eastposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kim...

Yes; we tried to make the celebration a combination of endearment and also humor.  One of our gifts to him was a life photo album of pictures that captured his life from when he was just a little tyke.  We all signed the album and included our thoughts, memories and good wishes.   It was wonderful.  :-)

Genna

Hey Genna,

The photo album with memories and well-wishes sounds wonderful.  I can't imagine anyone not appreciating such a lovely gesture. 

Kim

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

It is not a drinking establishment... big_smile big_smile big_smile

I am guessing that if it is not a bar, then perhaps it is still a "bad" place since it is a pic from the show, "Breaking Bad."

How about a joint for dancing/stripping women and the policeman is there to remove them.

That would certainly make it a B-day to remember.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I celebrated my 50th birthday 16 years ago! 

It was a fun day; I was still in my physical best shape then, rollerblading, etc., and told my kids, "I don't want any 'over-the-hill' party; I want a "WHAT hill? WHERE? WHEN?" party!

I forget what we actually did, but I know we went out and had fun...amusement park, skating, something like that. 

;-)

Good For You!

If it IS one's B-day, he or she should get to choose how it is spent.  Sounds like you had a great time.  That is what matters.  My 1/2 century mark is right around the corner.  Not sure what to expect...
      Smiles

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kimmy, whatever you decide to do I hope it's wonderful and you remember it always. It sounds like you have a good imagination and will come up with something unique.
        I had all my kids and grandchildren here which was great because it isn't often we all get together as they live in different parts of the country. Four of us have birthdays within a week of each other too. If my wife had hired an ambulance for my birthday I would have been worried...lol. Let me know when your birthday is, I'll sing you happy birthday or bake a cake. Wish I was there to celebrate it with you.

John,

I would love it if my HP friends could be here to help me celebrate.
          Pretty sure my boys will play music.
          My little nieces have decided upon a Renaissance theme so no telling what I may have to wear.
          I am sure it will be a magical night regardless of how it plays out.

Kim

4. Cheeky Kid profile image96
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

Well, my aunt celebrated her 50th Birthday 2 months ago. She threw a party and had like 50 cakes as well. big_smile

Cheeky Kid,

Your aunt must be extra-special in order to get 50 cakes.
      I hope she had lots of help eating all those cakes.

Smiles,

Kim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)