Should we be judged...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

by the company we keep?

1. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps not by the company we keep, but by our friends.  Professionally, unless you own your own business you often have little choice with whom you associate in the corporate world.  Even if you do own your own business you will probably have clients, customers and contractors you may not want to associate with on a personal level. 

Your friends, however, do indeed speak volumes about you.  Of course, is that a friend or a crazy relative, (some of whom you would not want to be judged by)?  You have to deal with family, good or bad. 

So if you are sure who a person's actual friends are, you have a very good gauge of them.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense. Then I would pleased to be judged by the likes of you. smile

1. bBerean profile image61

As I would, by you, which is good because I know in the forums we already are.

2. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The good thing about owning your own business is that you can decide for yourself which clients you keep. It takes courage to drop a client, but I've done it and it felt great.

I do think we can tell what a person is like by the friends they keep.

I think you're right. But sometimes we tend to like certain aspects of certain ppl. It seems like you can always find things in common with the least likely friends.

1. profile image0

As long as the aspects are positive and the other less positive aspects of the friendship doesn't drag you down.

2. bBerean profile image61

We have friends, acquaintances, and many gradients in between.  Sales and marketing are built on the contention you can find commonalities to build on with anyone.  Here in the forums we have friends of sorts, we could not be judged by, because we differ so much.  Yet if focusing on the commonalities that do draw us together, be it ethics, morals, hobbies, or even just a common respect for intelligent and thoughtful people, where we overlap does speak to our character.

Yeah, I find there's something kind of beautiful about "falling" for ppl that you have seemingly, nothing in common with. Though ppl can be dark, at times, there is so much beauty to be found.

I remember at one store I worked at, there were two old men that could make me late back from break and I wouldn't even notice. I would get caught up in their stories. One was an Aussie, in his 70s, missing his two front two teeth and as fun and lively as an 18 year old. The other was also an elderly man, black and looked like he was 50. He was always calling all the girls his gf's. I always felt like I was sitting on a front porch, in rocking chairs loving every minute.

I had very little in common with these two, but I adored them. Life is full of this!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
                Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Truths I have found regarding friendship in general:

If I didn't make friends with imperfect people, I wouldn't have any friends at all! 

Whoever judges you by who your friends are…that person is not one of them.

We people are a weird bunch, and God loves us all. However, we may not want them all in our lives...

To attract true friends, stay in a position of command over yourself without being a people pleaser.

To attract honest and sincere friends, be honest and sincere.

When you have the ability to be alone, and don't need others, they will inevitably need you. At that point you are in a position to pick and choose those you prefer, based on your discrimination and feelings of benevolence.

Develop discrimination. It is not others' judgement of our friends we should fear; It is our own!

It is best to avoid the friendship of those YOU do not approve of. Trust your instincts.

To avoid hurting others, never feign love or friendship.
                Ever.

And the old adage is indeed true: You can never judge a book by its cover.

In the end, sometimes you just have to take the good qualities along with the bad qualities… and hopefully the good qualities out-weigh the bad.

2. bBerean profile image61

I agree, and have done the same, but you do have to employ discretion.  I guess my point is that we would probably do business with people we would prefer not to associate with otherwise.  If they are totally against our standards though, being seen doing business with them may do more harm than good.

1. profile image0

And in my case take a toll on my heath. Sometimes the stress isn't worth it and when the product ends up inferior it makes me look bad.

I've only ever done it once or twice. The last time it cost me a lot of money, but I still think it was worth it.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No. We should be judged by our own actions. I have had friends who were adulterers, convicted felons, recovering drug addicts. That didn't make any of them bad people. They were people who knew they had made mistakes in life.

Those who judge are just gossips anyway. If you kept the best of company by their standards they'd still think of ways to negatively judge you.

I think you're right, but we are judged for the company we keep. I wonder if there are times that is appropriate?

1. profile image0

I can't imagine when it would be

Well, I was wondering about our teen years. Our parents see the crowds we're hanging with and can usually judge pretty well if we're not on a safe path.
            Maybe the difference is, when we're grown, our true selves are established. However, I do know a few in their 30s that don't differ from those in their teens.

It's just a funny concept... being judged by the company we keep.
            If a woman were to have a few prostitutes as friends... you might say, "She is secure in herself, she loves them for who they are." But were a man to have prostitutes as friends, it's hard to imagine he's not up to no good. But then Jesus himself ate with those who were rejected by society.

So Im wondering, is it case by case, or is it never ever that we should judge/be judged? Just throwing it out there.

1. profile image0

If my kids friends were a bunch of crack heads and male and female prostitutes should I be concerned? Should I be concerned if he hangs out with them 7 nights a week and sometimes invites them over to party? He's 20 years old, works part time and attends university, what would you do? He's just hanging with them and doesn't appear to be trying to help them at all, sometimes he doesn't come home for days and the last few months has started to fail and not attend his classes. What do you think? Perhaps I should just get a hobby and chill?

1. Cgenaea profile image61
                Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yeah. The law doesn't let you interfere too much in grown people's affairs. But a young mind (still sucking up knowledge to form ideas) is susceptible to lots of whatever. Even children who were raised by the "best" parents get the wrong messages before the right ones.
                Age 20 is very very young, and getting younger.
                Remember when kids were mature? Long time ago...

1. profile image0

Kids were never mature. Part of being a kid is exploration. Their morals can appear as jello, but if you have helped them grow to be secure in their understanding of who they are, firm in their resolve to be true to themselves first and the value of their opinion that exploration is a learning experience and will result in an adult who has a more solid foundation.

Sheltering kids from influence of the outside world is, in my opinion, just as unhealthy as attempting to shelter them from childhood illnesses and things which can be allergens. Sure, the short run might look like you've been effective, but they will encounter all of these in later life and exposure as adults, without previous encounters, can result in much more unhealthy outcomes.

There's a man Gever Tulley, who started a tinkering camp b/c he felt kids today lacked growth thru exploration in a way that was more common a few generations ago. He says (what we all know) that kids are sometimes over sheltered and that they end up consumers and not ppl who actually experience life. He did a Ted Talk. http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_o … s_for_kids

2. Cgenaea profile image61
                    Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think children used to be more mature than they are now. Least that's MY experience. But I guess others may see it differently if they like.

2. profile image0

When my son was younger, I made it clear to him that who he chose for his friends was his business. But, it would become mine if their behavior patterns influenced his. He was responsible for his own actions. He never gave me cause to make his friends my business. He had some questionable associations, but I honestly think life would be incredibly boring if we insisted on hanging out with those just like us.

I don't think it is anyone's right to judge another adult by the company they keep and even when judging those who are younger, the company can only affect them if they don't have a will of their own; or are prone to blaming others for their actions.

2. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

No. We should NEVER be judged. wink
    The outer appearance very often misses in regard to showing others our own selves. As well, the behavior of our associates may miss in regard to showing who they really are.

Good point.

3. Cat333 profile image60
    Cat333posted 9 years ago

I know you don't mean a condemning judgment (which is never okay), but making a spiritual judgment out of concern I think is sometimes needed - you might be called to confront your kid, a friend, a brother/sister-in-Christ, or others about their choice of friends and any dangers or negative effects you're seeing. We do know that our friends can greatly impact us, as it's written: "a companion of fools suffers harm" and "the one who walks with the wise grows wise". I think we have to keep in mind the motives in the friendships, the person's own strength of character, the strength of their beliefs and such.

The cliché "birds of a feather flock together" does have some validity and can certainly serve as warnings to us. If all a young man's friends are players and thugs, even if he seems different, we're more likely to wonder if he's just putting on a front (based on the characteristics of his friends), and will more likely (wisely) question if we want to date or have our daughters date that young man.

At the same time, a person with strength of character and convictions may chose to befriend all sorts of people. They would need to keep themselves in check (though not necessarily become concerned with others' judgments of their friendships). As long as they are being a positive influence and ensuring no negative influence is bringing them down, then okay.

I personally find a lot of beauty in and am often drawn toward those others consider "lowlifes" - the struggling addicts, the remorseful convicts, the outcast and "rejects" of society. I think you, Beth, and others here have indicated something similar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)