Un-indexed Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Tina Trueloveposted 9 years ago

I only have a few un-indexed hubs,  mostly seasonable like "Valentine's Day Decor" and similar.  If those hubs pick up traffic - due to sharing on social media I guess since they are no longer indexed - will they be re-indexed automatically or is it necessary to edit them?  I hate that HubPages un-indexes articles.  It makes me feel like my time on them was worthless.  What's the point in publishing them here if my un-indexed Thanksgiving articles won't be indexed when people search?  I like to publish on HubPages but I feel like I have to move my seasonal content to my blog too often which means I have to go back and edit Pinterest URLs, etc.  Ok, I'll stop ranting now and let someone answer my question.

1. Maina Ndungu profile image91
      Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tina
      I guess you should blame indexing on search engines and not HP. Most of my articles are found by the big G about 4 hours after they are featured. However, a few have taken up to a week. At one point, I had to delete and re-publish a hub after I got impatient with the indexing thing. Luckily, it was then almost instantly indexed. But, I don't know the right way to go about it.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If they are not featured by Hubpages due to low traffic they cannot be indexed by Google. Hence the question of whether Hubpages with re-feature a season hub that gets traffic. I don't know the answer to that.

1. profile image0
          Tina Trueloveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is the question I am asking.

2. profile image0

I should have said "un-featured" by HubPages.  They will un-feature hubs which are not getting a lot of traffic, therefore Google can't index them - something like that.  These are hubs that were published, featured, and getting traffic during a particular season but then lost traffic after that season ended and another one began.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tina,
          Look them over and proofread them, then check them to see what current content (photos, videos, etc.) you can add to them to get them to update so that they become featured again.

1. profile image0

Yes, I could do that, but since they are out of season, they may become un-featured again after a couple of weeks.  It's a never ending cycle and really crazy for us to have to keep going back and redoing them every time they go out of season.

Try to keep them ahead.

2. tony55 profile image86
          tony55posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seasonal articles might face the challenge of getting traffic when not in season,  some hubs might get um-published because of low traffic, or certain violations. You have the options of either re-editing the hub , or adding content before the article gets published again.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When the Featured/unFeatured process was introduced, HubPages gave this explanation (( can't find the original so I'm paraphrasing):

Google's Panda algorithm ranks a site on the basis of its poorest quality content.  So it doesn't matter how fabulous some of your content is, if you've got a few bad apples, it will ruin the whole barrel - your site will be given a low Panda score and that will pull down the ranking of every single article on the site.  That was happening to HP, and it had to find a way to recover if it was going to survive. 

HubPages had  to find a way to get rid of, or at least hide from Google, all poor quality articles.  The QAP was the tool to achieve that for all new Hubs - but what to do about the thousands of existing Hubs?   It would take years to get through them all.  The only quick option they could find was to unFeature (no-index) all the Hubs that Google wasn't sending traffic to.

It was a neat solution, when you think about it:  unFeaturing all Hubs that weren't getting traffic would automatically hide all the Hubs Google didn't like.   Of course, it would also hide Hubs which were good quality, but were simply not on subjects which are frequently searched - HubPages acknowledged that, but they couldn't find any other solution that was affordable.  It's just the way it is.

They did say they would try to do something about seasonal Hubs, which get very little traffic at other times of year - and they tweaked the algorithm several times after it was launched, to try to avoid the problem. I don't have any seasonal Hubs so I don't know to what extent they succeeded.  As Lisa suggested, maybe you have an opportunity to broaden those Hubs so they attract a trickle of traffic the rest of the year too?

3. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tina,

I have many seasonal Hubs, too, but they still get traffic every day and are still featured. 

You might try a quick edit to send the Hub back to QAP again, and then do some postings on Pinterest.  I have people posting pictures from my seasonal Hubs everyday on Pinterest and it doesn't seem to matter to them that the holidays were several months ago!

2. bettyshares profile image60
    bettysharesposted 9 years ago

What is the best way to get traffic to our hubs, to avoid them from being un-featured?

1. profile image0

In hind-sight, I should have been more active on social media.  It just wasn't my thing.  I like my personal Facebook page but I'm not great at using the other networks or using any of them for business/writing purposes, but I'm learning.  I got a bit frustrated with HubPages so I have taken time off from here to work on developing a personal blog.  I'm also in a Facebook group of kid-bloggers who have been a major help to me. Anyway, social media is the key to great traffic and now that I know a little bit more about how to use it, I want to start using it to help get my HubPages traffic back to what it used to be and better.  I just wonder what I should do with my un-featured hubs.  I don't want to re-write them.  They would be a great fit for my blog so I could move them, but if they might become featured again by using social media to gain traffic, I would rather pin them to Pinterest, ect. and leave them here for now.  But then again, I don't know.  Maybe I will just move them over to my blog . . . what to do . . . what to do . . .

3. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 9 years ago

On the HubPages FAQ about the Squidoo merger, it says

"Are only Featured Lenses moving to HubPages?
    No. All Lenses (Featured and WIP) from accounts with at least one Featured Lens will be moved to HubPages, unless the user opts out of the migration. Lenses that were Featured on Squidoo will be Featured Hubs on HubPages. WIP Lenses will be unpublished after they're moved to HubPages.

Accounts without any Featured Lenses (excluding seasonal) will not be moved over unless the user opts in to the migration by clicking the link on their Squidoo dashboard and establishing a HubPages user account."

Despite mentioning seasonal lenses, that certainly does not answer your question.  Hopefully someone from admin will see this thread and give us more information.

1. profile image0

Yes, that is helpful to Squiddo mergers.  I've been here on HubPages for 4 years.  I think my question is being misunderstood, for the most part.  I guess seasonal articles just don't do well here.  I'll probably just move my seasonal content which becomes un-featured to my blog.  Thanks though!

4. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I've had long-term seasonal Hubs here that stay Featured even in their off-season but I don't utterly abandon them when they are out-of-season.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The basic question is whether hubs unfeatured for traffic will spontaneously become featured if they get enough traffic.  I would like to know this too.

1. profile image0

I understand and appreciate all the other explanations but I already knew the reasons for all this and why some of my articles are unfeatured. I also know that editing them will likely make them featured again.  I think you are the only one who understands my question.  smile  I just want to know if they will become featured again, AS IS, if I use social media to get them more traffic, now that I know how.  I don't think anybody knows.  Oh well . . .

Not as far as I know. You have edit them in some way to get them featured again. Either proofread, add/remove photos/videos/links, update content, check on keywords, etc.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tina, I suggest you post on the "Technical Problems" section to say that your seasonal Hubs ARE being unFeatured out of season, even though HubPages said they had taken measures to avoid that.   If others post a similar experience, it may prompt HP to have another look at the issue.

The other question I have is - how much traffic do your seasonal Hubs get during the season?  I took a look at your Valentine's Day Hub for toddlers, and the phrase "Valentine's Day" is repeated in every single sub-heading and several times in the text, which by current standards looks perilously close to "keyword stuffing" so it may not be getting as much Google traffic as it could.

I ask because I'm guessing HubPages is dealing with seasonal Hubs by averaging traffic over the year - so if your Hub was getting lots of traffic in-season, that would carry it through the lean period till the next time.

By the way, it's against HubPages TOS to add a link to your profile at the end of your Hubs.  The logic is that all links must be on a directly related topic, and your profile isn't related to your topic.

1. profile image0

Ah!  Thank you for letting me know that.  I've been here for 4 years but have not been active in over a year so a lot has changed.  I thought I might become active here again, but I don't know.  When I was here before, I noticed a LOT of writers added links to their profiles at the bottom so I went back and started adding mine.  I didn't add the link to all of them, but I'll go through and remove the ones I added. I'll  probably just transfer my un-featured content to my blog.  Many of my oldest ones were written before I knew anything about writing online content anyway.  Thank you for your suggestions.

6. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

Valentines Day, for example, isn't an "evergreen" topic. I just glanced at yours. Try changing the title to something like "Crafts Activities for Toddlers: Love and Hearts." You might want to change your first picture to something more striking. I have two Hubs with giant red lips that get lots of views on Pinterest. Wrylilt has help on making Made for Pinterest pictures. Change your summary to include references other than Valentines Day. Publish again to see if it gets featured.

I don't do a lot of SEO either, but I do pin on Pinterest. It is so fast and easy. Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)