What is your most inspirational book in the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Little wondersposted 12 years ago

What is your most inspirational book in the Bible? I like Job and Mark. Job for his dedication and faith and Mark, because of what it tells me about the life of Jesus. Interested to hear your thoughts!

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the one when moses was a baby and was hidden because all the baby boys were getting killed off because of some erroneous perception the Pharaoh had. It was cool how he ended up with the Pharaohs daughter and the sister along as the maid.

Can't remember what book its from.

2. profile image0
      Charlene Marianoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I  like the Philippians. It's uplifting and positive-driven.

1. profile image0
        Little wondersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I quite like that one too.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a toss-up between Genesis and John.
      Both unequivocally declare who and what God is.

4. bluebird profile image60
      bluebirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Book of Psalms, it jives with my heart and soul and mind, completely connecting my all to King David and his heart and love to God and all he went through. They are prayers to be used in prayer today to God, they can help others really pour out their hearts to God when praying comes hard in times of trial, self-doubt and discouragement. I never cease to be amazed at the Psalms. Start with the first and read one a day first thing in the morning for a pick-me-up start to your day! It works!

5. InspiredHippy profile image69
      InspiredHippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The book of James...hands down!  He makes some very valid points...especially about the tongue

6. heavenbound5511 profile image64
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the books of Ezekiel, Revelation, Matthew, Ephesians, and Hebrews. I can't pick one.
      I really love Psalms it is packed full of wisdom & one of the easier books in the bible to read through.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

The fable of Job portrays God to be a petty moron. He makes a bet with Satan and delivers Job to him so he can do his worst just to prove a point. It isn't just one occurence where Satan destroys everything Job owns but yet another round of grief befalls Job as God once again falls prey to another bet with Satan, this time doing his worst to Job himself.

Foolish, selfish and petty behavior from a God who is supposed to show love but instead lowers himself just to prove a bet, not once, but twice.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And what about the story where God made Abraham tie his son up in preparation for sacrifice to himself?  Can you imagine the terror Abraham felt during this fabled tale?  I'll bet god had a few laughs over that one.  A true message of love.

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Abraham was not at all emotional about it.
        He knew what the outcome was going to be before it ever happened.
        Read the account of the story in Hebrews.
        11;19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

That puts the correct perspective on it.
        If you read the story in Genesis, you will note that he (Abraham) told his servants, we will go up and worship, and we shall return. How was that gunna 'appen, if'n Isaac iz deyed?  hmm

So the same for Jesus and God then.  Thanks Aka.  You're the first believer to admit God made no great sacrifice by letting his son die on the cross for our sins.  Yep, howz dat a sacrimuhfice iffen dad can bring bac duh Junior anytime he want too, ya heah?  lol

Here, let me be helpin you get that Nike outin yo mouf!  lol

UUUUmmmm..... Should I respond to this???

Nah, not worth it. But at least you know I read it. lol lol

Sure you should respond to this, but you won't.  lol  You can't explain why it was such a big deal for your deity to give up something he could get right back.

How is that such a big sacrifice, Aka?  smile

Randy, let me say it this way.
                You ask questions, but you don't like the answers. Your respond with derision and ridicule.
                What the goodness do you expect rom me?

I'm happy to "help" those who are genuine, but you never struck me as one.

Let me ask you.
                What inspired you to write?

Please prove it to all of us.
                We don't want your opinion on it though.
                We want HRD EVIDENCE to back your claim.

You give me the reference material, and I will read it! big_smile

How can I like answers never given, aka?  You volunteered your interpretation of the Abraham/Issac scenario and I asked how it was a sacrifice if God could simply bring junior back. 

Merely because I ask questions you do not want to answer doesn't mean I am deriding or ridiculing you.  I'm giving you a chance to show how you can believe things in the old tome which are difficult to swallow.

I am a common sense type person,  I didn't ask to be this way.  Do you think your deity made me this like this, or was it one of the other perfect creations of your god who is keeping me from believing things which don't add up?   

I never said I WAS inspired to write, aka.  Like many other things in my life, I began writing to see if I could.  It surely wasn't an invisible being talking inside my head that did it.  Actually, it was suggested to me by a mortal. 

I wasn't threatened with eternal damnation if I didn't write either.  smile

Now, back to my question.....

1. profile image51
                    JCwithUposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In response to this discussion of how would it be sacrifice if Abrahams son was sacrificed only to be risen from the dead, or how was is sacrifice if God raised Jesus from the dead:  These are great questions.  My answer is simple - To display Gods power and His goodness.  We doubt both those things, don't we?  God is merciful, the bible says Jesus was slain from the foundations of the world.  Love always forgives, and God created the world through his Loving forgiveness.  Our Heavenly Father never desired sacrifice, but he did it for us because he loved us while we are or were still sinners, he loved us from the beginning, .  He stopped Abraham because it was Gods will to offer the sacrifice.  Jesus went through all that pain, ridicule and persecution for doing good.  That act of sacrifice was not justice, therefor God raised him so that we could have eternal life with him.  If that doesn't make sense, get on your knees and pray because when it does, you will find life more abundantly.  God bless.

2. profile image53
      Travistcsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can see how you got to this conclusion but I see it in a different way. Everyone goes through tough times. I recently met an amazing person named Beau. His grandfather is on the verge of death and his close friend committed suicide. He was completely distraught and questioned his faith. That is Satan trying to get him to curse the Lord. Job went through troubles like this but on a much larger scale. And God rewarded Job for remaining faithful. So always remain faithful and you will be rewarded. smile

3. OutWest profile image58
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

If I had to choose one it would probably be Ecclesiastes. It has a great premise and some wise words. One of my favorites is Ecclesiastes 11:5
    "As you do not know the path of the wind,
       or how the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a pregnant woman,,
    so you cannot understand the work of God,
       the Maker of all things." 
    I really love this verse.

I also like Hebrews, Kings and Proverbs

4. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 12 years ago

I would go for the Song of Solomon. It is probably the only book that is properly rooted in the real world, dealing as it does with love, sex and marriage. Unlike most of the bible, it is not misogynistic and doesn't deal in guilt, sin and punishment. It is a celebration of the love between man and woman in all its forms, and best of all, it is expressed in the only appropriate language, that of purest poetry. It stands with the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam as one of the greatest celebrations of love ever penned by man. It is certainly the jewel in the Old Testament.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would go with you. I agree with every word you said. smile

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Strange that they never introduced it to us at school wink

Yes. It is perhaps indicative at least for me, of the time I grew up in and the beliefs of the time. Religious studies were to do with "thou shalt not" at school here, as education was about trying to enforce obedience to a fair degree. Obviously not a system that I found easy to live with. smile

Much the same, in 50s/60s Scotland. It's also fun to see the attempts made by some commentators to prove that the Song of Songs is purely allegorical and has nothing whatever to do with sex!

I would call that a very hard sell! lol

Yep, you might as well try it with The Miller's Tale!

Yes. smile I must say the bible has a few other raunchy bits that have me wondering too.

I admit to less interest than required to find out more about it these days.

I am enjoying some of the new religious documentaries on history and geo channels and hope they soon dissect the entire book for edification.

Some very interesting and informative stuff is happening. The education channels seem to have tapped a new market for real information that can be proved up.

I like the trend, we may see more and interesting connection between author and origin than before. smile

2. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wrong! I actually taught Song of Solomon as literature, along with excerpts from the Qur'an, the Torah, and writings from Taoism, Confucius, Jabo, and other world religions.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Paraglider  and  Earnest;   

I do not see anyone disagreeing with you .....   And I agree with them.

Seems we're knocking on an open door then wink

In screaming agreement even! lol

Anyway, I'm glad to see no Revelation fans have come to the party. Terrible book, that one!

It sure is terrible! It is getting a bit of flack in current documentaries fortunately and will be making good money for TV series for a while I guess as the latest "proof of god" to get a much needed debunking. smile

2. aka-dj profile image65

I find it quite inspirational. big_smile

Is that an umbrella your shadow's holding?

No.

It's a fishing rod. big_smile

The fish weren't biting, so I took the picture.

PS, I doubt the umbrella would offer much protection. (from the plagues of the Book of  Revelation, I mean) lol

I don't know though. A real umbrella vs fantasy plagues. My money's on the brolly!

My money's on God, keeping His word.
                    i am not one that will be judged by the plagues,

Sorry!

3. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since you mentioned it;  I believe Daniel and Rev. are the most revealing, concerning the condition of the church. And I find these the most informative.

But that wasn't the question.

As far as Inspirational ?   
              Song of Solomon or Proverbs

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Genesis and John are my two favorites.

Genesis because it challenges me even after revealing some of its secrets.

And John because it reveals so much.

1. thailandsmiles profile image59
      thailandsmilesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love the two books two... in John 1:1 it says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." I really am amazed with such verse, that by God's word alone, the world was created. It just a painful thought that many haven't seen that God is the God of Wonders, though this life is difficult as long as you know that you have your God, trials can be conquered. In Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." There is God, and He teaches us through the bible to walk by faith not by sight. Praise Him forever!

1. OutWest profile image58
        OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So excellent.  I like what you said about God's word created the universe.  Similar to the one I've heard that says, "Out of God's thoughts the universe was created" .  Either way it is very poetic and beautiful.

1. thailandsmiles profile image59
          thailandsmilesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree on that...", Thank you for liking it...

7. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Randy said .....
      How can I like answers never given, aka?  You volunteered your interpretation of the Abraham/Issac scenario and I asked how it was a sacrifice if God could simply bring junior back. 

ME

Randy, I think the whole story was about Abrahams perspective, How he felt about it?   And how much he was willing to invest in a covenant with God for All them Blessings that him and all of his desendents were goina get.

God was saying that he was "Going All In" (poker)  And wanted to see if Abraham would do the same? 

But he didn't have to!     God folded though he had the best hand.

1. Jerami profile image59

Randy ?      >        I was expecting Ya ta help me discern , IF  this concept might be true?

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Are you suggesting your god didn't already know the outcome?  Or was it sorta like when God and Satan used Job as a pawn in a chess match while god supposedly already knew the outcome in that one too?  smile

Job ? I wasn't talking about Job!
          Don't know that much about Job.

I was talking about Abraham and the covenant that he had entered into with God, to recieve priceless favor.
           How much was this worth to Abraham?

100 virgins, according to the Muslims.  smile

OK  ... I guess that just about wraps it up!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)