Do people have any sense; can they read?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I reported for jury duty this morning. The line of potential jurors stretched across the courthouse square. Of about 70 people in line at one time there were several, especially young women, wearing shorts and flip flops. Others were wearing dirty jeans and tank tops. While  this is a rural community where people tend to dress casually, even the cowboys have a shirt with a collar and a clean pair of levis. People wearing short shorts  or tank tops are denied access to the courtroom.
    What were they thinking? Maybe just hoping to get off the hook?

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with the others and the people who showed up dressed in an inappropriate manner probably thought it would get them out of jury duty. It would be interesting to know whether or not they had to pay for thinking that way. In my area, that would have been seen as contempt of court and fines leveled.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Talk about perfect timing, I had a hug on that issue not too long ago: "Easy Ways to Get Out of Jury Duty," and these people should not have embarrassed themselves--just read my piece. Oh well. That does point toward the question you asked if "they can read?"

Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad you got a "hug" out of it-- I'll go find it a little later. Funny thing is, when I got to the front of the line, appropriately dressed, The man said "You have been excused. Didn't you get a call?"
          I didn't.
          "Did you send in the reply card listing your reason."
          Yes, I had.
          "Well, we are a little understaffed-- you are free to go. Catch you next time."
          I went shopping, appropriately dressed.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of dressing down to be excluded. I usually reply to the notice that I am an anarchist and that stops them. lol

3. JamaGenee profile image79
      JamaGeneeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Showing up for jury duty in shorts and tank tops demonstrates a total lack of respect for the court system in general.  The summons, however, should be re-worded with "NO SHORTS OR TANK TOPS" in LARGE capitol letters, followed by a notice (also in caps) that appearing for duty in inappropriate attire will be considered contempt subject to a hefty fine.   

That said, I used to live in a county that had a jury call-in system, i.e. on the weekend before the Monday one was to appear for duty, potential jurors could call a number on the summons to find out if any jury trials were even on the docket that week.  If not, the call was noted - to prevent a charge of contempt - and you were off the hook for jury duty for months or even years. 

Don't know how it works where I live now, but if I'm ever summoned and there's no call-in option, I certainly won't show up in shorts or a tank top! ;D

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Inventive way to get out of jury duty!

Some people have no shame. I wouldn't be surprised if the bailiff told them to go find something more appropriate to wear and to come back, or face contempt charges.

1. lisavollrath profile image92
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They're lucky. If you get a jury summons down here, and it says no shorts and no flip-flops, and a judge sees you in shorts and flip-flops, you'll get cited for contempt of court!

That may have happened-- not sure. The instructions did say "Dress the way you want to be treated: professionally. Shorts, tanks tops, and bare feet are not allowed in the courtroom." But who has time to read all that stuff, right?

2. Billrrrr profile image86
        Billrrrrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

that is what should have happened.  Jury duty is an obligation.  If they do not take that seriously, then we are obliged to use some legal force on them.

3. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

There are numerous ways to wiggle out of jury duty if this is one's intention.  Dressing as though you are headed for the beach would be either direct disrespect to a Court of Law or simple-mindedness. 
    In either case, I can understand your disgust Rochelle.  It seems no matter where we go or what the occasion, there will be those with no common sense nor even self-respect.
    What's there to do about this nonsense?  Just thank heaven it is not "contagious!"

4. profile image0
    mommytalksposted 9 years ago

I managed a talent office years ago where we *happened* to book entertainers at the top gentleman's clubs in a major metro area ..... nothing seedy, other than where they worked. In fact, I managed the health and dental program.

Anyway, we had highly intelligent clients working on advanced college degrees, and we had people that had to be told to wear a bra to court. It just never occurred to them that it would be inappropriate. They weren't trying to get out of court, just not .... couth.

I'm sure this is part of the problem here, too.  Some people go to church in their work clothes-- which is fine, they are not kicked out, and Jesus doesn't care.
      But  I keep thinking that  if --for instance-- you were going to apply for a job, that you would at least try to be neat, clean and give some hint of self respect to make a positive or serious  impression.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)