Deadly Cobra loose in Los Angeles.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (112 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

A Monacled albino cobra is on the loose in Southern California.  http://news.msn.com/us/search-on-for-de … california
    Authorities think the snake escaped from captivity and the owner has not yet been found. Why would anyone own a venomous snake?  I have read so many news articles about venomous or constirctor snakes killing children and pets. Would you own or have you ever owned such a snake?

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, and in all my tomboy years, I had no desire to keep a pet snake. My granddaughter has, though, and I didn't like it, mainly because I don't want anything around that eats other live animals. I don't have any phobias or fears of snakes, though. We did have a king snake living under our stone stairs coming down from the driveway to our house, and it let me pet it. I think it is gone now because we just don't sense anything living there. For several years our frogs and toads disappeared, and now they are back living in our atrium and enjoying our little frog pond. the lizards were gone, too. Maybe it left when it cleaned out the food supply. I hope it doesn't come back because Mr. B carried it off twice and it came back both times.
      I have no idea why anyone would want to keep a snake of any kind in the house, much less a venomous or a constrictor snake. At least my granddaughter's snake was harmless.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it was about a year ago that I read a news article about a young couple who had a pet boa constrictor. The boa strangled and killed their two year old son. I also saw a documentary on PBS where a couple had taken their toddler in the pet shop with them to consider the purchase of a viper. When the mother had the viper across her shoulders, the little girl reached up to touch it and got bitten. The mother threw the snake off and yelled at the shopkeeper, "You said it wouldn't bite!"  Well, it was a viper snake -- what did she think it would do if something reached for it? I do not know if the little girl was bitten bad or if she died, for the video cut off quickly to another story.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

About a year ago I saw a news report about some guy who came home drunk, climbed over his fence, and was killed by his own dog. Terrible. Why anyone would want to keep a dog is beyond me.

hmmmm .... is that supposed to be funny?

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
              Melissa A Smithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, can't you see the point he's making?

I guess not. I am glad you found this thread.

I did see the point you were trying to make, Mark. I just felt it was out of line.

Out of line? I saw a news story from the US about a Pomeranian that attacked and killed a baby. If I put up a forum thread about "Deadly Pomeranian dogs in Los Angeles" you would not consider that inflammatory and out of line?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95

Every week I get another story about a toddler being killed by a pet dog (I use Google Alerts), often the one it lived with. Why is it that you only notice such fatalities when caused by an interesting animal, vs. a common one?

I noticed this story about the cobra because it was on the front page of my MSN feed.  Now if it was about Pit Bulls, I might have noticed that. Are you speaking in general that we all only notice the exotic/interesting pets , or are you speaking about me?  Just curious. I do not google how many toddlers were killed by pets, but if I see a news story come up in front of me, like the cobra, I sometimes comment on it.   This was rather startling, so I brought it up.  I have never heard of a cobra on the loose.

In general. I'm explaining to you that it shouldn't be startling. People all too often fear all snakes, even those that are harmless, and smash them without asking questions. It's actually true that most snake bites are caused by people trying to KILL venomous snakes. It would be great if we could become an enlightened society and learn about animals instead of spreading hysteria about them (not saying you are). Also, many here like to spread hysteria about those who keep them. It gets old,especially when you're someone like me.

Melissa, to ME it was startling when I first saw it. Am I supposed to be exactly like you?  I have my own thoughts/reactions to things. You are not reading all my posts and assuming a lot. I do not fear snakes. I was startled because a cobra can be deadly and children and pets can come up against that displaced cobra, which could be bad news. I am a person who has concern for children that may be in harms way.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis,
      Since the dog appears healthy then perhaps the snake had the venom removed, especially if it was owned by a zoo. You hear about animals escaping from zoos all of the time and there are zoos that do not want to report it.

That is possible, Kevin.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Not anymore Phyllis. I just saw another video in which it sounded like the vet saved the dog from dying.
          http://www.weather.com/video/deadly-alb … oose-53261

Kevin, that is good the dog was saved. Thank goodness to the quick actions of the owners and the vet. Thanks for sharing the link.

3. Melissa A Smith profile image95

I have 7 snakes. Why people are confused about why I would want to own one is baffling. They are interesting pets. Every time snakes are taken out at schools, libraries, and nature centers, children and adults are wide-eyed and fascinated. So imagine that you get to have such stimulation daily, at your own leisure, and they barely require any care, by my standards. They aren't social, so you basically need to feed them once a week and keep their quarters clean. In that, despite not being DOMESTICATED, they are superior pets to cats and dogs. Most common pet snakes are extremely tame.

What quality in having snakes do you find unreasonable?

I did NOT state that having snakes as pets is unreasonable -- that is your own assumption. To falsely assume then accuse is a bit out of line, I think.  Apparently you did not read the post I made on the gopher snake I babysat for a week, fed it, helped it shed its skin, and kept its cage clean. Even held it often to give it attention. I just don't know why one would want to keep venomous snakes unless they are somehow de-venomed (?  what is the correct word for that?). Actually I think snakes are fascinating to watch. I once had an Iguana I became very fond of. He belonged to my son and I cared for the Iguana while my son was on vacation. I think Iguanas are perfect pets. However, I started this thread to talk about the cobra, not to get into a debate or false assumptions.

Then I'm not sure why you replied to MizBejabbers' post with that comment about a child getting killed. Really, whenever snakes are brought up, someone always has to bring up fatalities (the boa you mentioned is not venomous, I'm also not aware of a boa fatality with a small child). How many times do people bring up child fatalities when there are discussions about dogs?

You said "I have read so many news articles about venomous or constirctor snakes killing children and pets."

Constrictor snakes are a large class of snakes. I have 4. So that's why I replied that way.

Snakes are literally no more dangerous than common pets (and they vary in size and demeanor just like common pets). I assume the keepers of venomous snakes are like people who enjoy extreme sports, vs. leisure sports. It provides keepers a challenge and perhaps bragging rights.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

That is great that you have seven snakes and enjoy them. I am not criticizing or saying it is wrong. I am only wondering about venomous or constrictor snakes. If one knows how to care for constrictor snakes properly to avoid danger, then I see no problem with that.

Fair enough. Fyi, many snakes use constriction, I think you mean 'large constrictor snake', which are generally considered to be Burmese pythons, Reticulated, African Rock, ect.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Yeah !  The cobra has been caught by animal control and hopefully put in a safe and secure place. It is illegal in California to own a cobra. The owner has still not been found.

http://news.msn.com/us/albino-cobra-loo … -officials

I just watched that video and they said that no humans died. Well, earlier I had read someplace that a woman had laid on her back, reached under somewhere, was bitten in the stomach twice and did not survive.

The woman who was bit twice and died is from another story about a pet viper she had.  They caught the cobra in LA and no other animals, no humans were bitten by the cobra.

Oh, sorry about that.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So have I, having snakes as pets is a very foolhardy and dangerous thing to do.  Such pets pose danger to children.  You are right Phyllis how many children indeed are killed by such "pets."  Certain snakes such as constrictors and cobras are.........dangerous, believe it or not. Even adept snake handlers are on occasion bitten by cobras.  NOTE: cobras-DANger, danGER, DANGER!

I read in a newspaper once that a man in Connecticut had a pet cobra, he petted the cobra and the cobra bit him.  Serves him right, again, what logical person would have a cobra, a very dangerous snake, as a pet!  Will the "wonders" ever cease?  People continuously astound me each day, wow!

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well Dr. Mark, if you did not understand how some of us could get so wrapped up on the religious forum, surely you understand now. You have just been summoned to defend something you're passionate about. smile

2. electronician profile image78
    electronicianposted 9 years ago

I think some people are s bit in awe at the power of such creatures which are fairly small compared to a person but still so deadly. There is probably also some degree of excitement which goes with the danger. I guess some people would think it makes them seem macho too.

Its pretty bad that its escaped though, I hope it doesn't hurt any children or pets.

I know some people are in awe of snakes and the danger/excitement thing. When my son was young, it was very popular for the kids to own gopher snakes, which look deadly and grow quite large, but are perfectly harmless. I had to "babysit" a gopher snake for a week while my son's friend and family went on vacation. I got rather attached to the snake, because it started to shed its skin and had trouble with it. I put it in a large jar of warm water and held its head up out of the water. This helped to loosen the skin so the snake could slide out of it by rubbing against the rocks in its pen. My son was in awe and kept the snake skin for quite awhile.

I know the wandering cobra in LA can be deadly, but I imagine it is quite frightened and in defense will strike at anyone trying to catch it, which authorities warned not to do. But, there is always someone who thinks they can be the  "hero".  I, too, hope no one is harmed.

3. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 9 years ago

Wild animals should never been held in captivity.by private persons. All baby animals look cute, but those people just don't know what they're up against when those animals mature.

That is very true, Titia. The population wild pythons that are increasing in Florida were pets till they got too big to handle and people let them go.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Wild animals should NEVER?
      Cats should never be kept in captivity because they can make pregnant women have abortions...dogs should never be kept in captivity because they can bite and injure people.
      Thanks for deciding for the rest of us.

Deleted

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Preach ON, Phyllis!  Preach ONNNN!

3. Melissa A Smith profile image95

Are you trying to say that so-called non-wild animals cannot cause harm or even DEATH? You are completely incorrect. All animals of a certain size can bite. Why are you singling out these 'wild animals'?

1. Titia profile image92
        Titiaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well let me rephrase that. All animals should not be kept by people who don't know how to handle them in a proper way. You can't just compare animals that have been domesticated for ages with animals that live in the wild today.

Our house cats are cats that over centuries have learned to live along with people, but you can't blame it when it uses its original instincts when it feels threatened and driven into a corner.

Yes, dogs can bite too and most of the time it happens because the owner has neglected to raise the dog properly (teaching it to be obedient) and to read/learn about dog behaviour, learn the dog's body language. So often do I see dogs, who's owner has no control whatsoever over his/her dog. They still think a dog is playing when it's chasing sheep.

How many people do you think know that dogs still have the pack instinct and act to it when the ranking order in his/her pack (read family) is not clear? If your body language don't tell it that you're the Alpha dog, then he/she certainly will take over that rank and the size of the dog doesn't matter at all. Even the smallest Chihuahua will do that.

"All animals should not be kept by people who don't know how to handle them in a proper way."

This is MUCH better. But...

"You can't just compare animals that have been domesticated for ages with animals that live in the wild today."

Then you contradict yourself. You go on to explain that people misread the natural instincts of so-called domesticated animals. You're right about that, and you've just shown why it is not correct to view 'wild' animals as different from 'domesticated' animals. They are simply just animals. Horses are another animal that not everyone is a good owner for.

Ball pythons are by a landslide easier to care for than a horse. I don't know if I'd be ready to take on the care of that 'domesticated' animal.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Hi Phyllis, I don't really know  why people would want venomous snakes as pets (maybe the danger factor excites them) but my own daughter keeps and breeds pythons. I think she has about eight at the moment, the largest being "Medusa" about 10 foot long. See my hub called "My Girl Jo". Jody has a reptile breeding licence. It is surprising the number of people that have snakes as pets.

Some people, Jodah, like your daughter, take the time to learn and educate themselves on how to care for and handle snakes. That is good that Jody is doing this the proper way. How interesting. I will have to read that hub. Thanks for letting me know.

PS: I saw another part of that documentary on pet snakes about a woman who had a viper she was very fond of. When it got loose it was frightened and hid under the sofa. The woman lay down on the floor and reached under to get her viper when it struck and bit her twice in the stomach.  She tried to get to the bathroom (probably for an antidote) but died before she got there. I don't understand these things, the why of owning such deadly pets. It is sad for the people who are harmed and also unfair to a creature who does not belong in captivity.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

HOLY CRAP!   Catch and kill it!  OH ............!

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL....Grace!  Whew!  I was beginning to think I may be the only snake-hater in the house.  Your comment is precisely mine.......OH, Please, "Just knock on my door & tell me when you've caught the slithery darling so I can come out into the world again!! "  Yikes!

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Normally snakes don't scare me (I have photos of myself with my friend's Boa Constrictor draped over my shoulders) but a Cobra? Yikes. That's a whole 'nother level right there. I'd be afraid to step outside.

DITTO!

7. Dave Collado profile image60
    Dave Colladoposted 9 years ago

Look at my little snakes gorillas, shark.. Sounds like people who need a lot of unneeded attention.

Look at my car, loud parties, vacations, and numerous friends.

Is it news to you that humans are attention seekers? Are suggesting that you NEVER seek attention or are you arrogantly suggesting only your forms of attention seeking are acceptable?

1. Dave Collado profile image60
        Dave Colladoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just having a laugh. Don't know if you heard, but there is a snake on the loose! Also I think it's natural to want attention. Nothing wrong with that. However, it's a lot more fun when you're not endangering other people's lives or your own. So while a little bit of sawnky is good, I've got to think about my neighbor and not just me, only me, always me and me, me, me, me me. That's the difference.

Are you aware that there are venomous snakes native to California? The danger is way overstated. Perhaps pets are the most vulnerable since they lack the awareness to know what they're dealing with, but snakes do not seek confrontations with humans or any other large animal. All will be perceived as predators. Chances are the snake will disappear and never be seen again. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Dave....FYI......I appreciate your humor.  You made me smile.  I also don't think it was necessary for you to defend yourself for making a statement, but it's quite civil of you to do so. Often in the Forums, topics are taken off-track.  Even worse, sometimes they are totally hi-jacked and used for personal agendas.  Inappropriate as it is, it happens.
          Phyllis is a dear, sweet and highly intelligent woman.  Clearly, she noticed an article of interest and posted accordingly.  It seems to me her rational concern for the general public was that a "viper" which has a lethal bite was "on the lam," slithering who knows where.  Regardless of whether you positively adore snakes or not, this is a bit of a worrisome situation for many.
          It really was that simple.  And the rest of the story...can be noted in the thread.  So, how's your day been thus far?   Take care.....Peace, Paula

Thank you, Paula.  I was a bit taken aback by some responses, but it happens. You are very kind to support Dave and me. I appreciate that so much.

Phyllis, if I have offended you personally, I apoligize. My statements were not meant to be personal, but I did feel some of the anti-snake comments that came out of your thread were very offensive. I would have felt the same way if the thread was "Deadly Pitbull Loose in Los Angeles".

Mark, I am not anti-snake, only concerned about the dangers of venomous snakes. I am not at all offended by anything you said -- I just think you and Melissa A. Smith came on very defensive when there was nothing directed at either of you personally. Peace.

"HOLY CRAP!   Catch and kill it!  OH ......."
                  If someone put that sort of inflammatory message on a thread you posted about your Pom being lost, dont you think you would be a little angry?
                  I think those sort of comments are directed at me. There are a lot of snakes out there who have not figured out how to use a keyboard.

Ive met a few online snakes who knew how to use the keyboard quite well.

2. gmwilliams profile image85

I was referring to the venomous cobra.   This cobra escaped from its owners.  Who knew what havoc and/or fatalities it would produce.   Some snakes are just dangerous..........period! Sssssssssssss, elapids are THE MOST dangerous snakes around.  Elapids which the cobra belongs to should be in zoos, not kept as pets.  What are people "thinking" really?  Cobras were not met to be pets.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I am sorry, Mark, that you feel comments, any comments here, are directed at you. This is not meant to be a personal attack thread and I have no control over what others say. We all have a right to express our own opinions. I will not get into an open war about who said what and who feels attacked. I sincerely apologize if any of my comments have made you feel attacked in any way. As for my little Pom, your comments about him do not offend me or anger me. You are obviously quite sensitive about what people say about snakes, but, again, this thread is not to attack any one and all this back and forth banter is unnecessary and off-subject.

I have nothing against snakes - I live in the Mojave desert and right behind me are foothills where there are rattlesnakes and bullsnakes. One bullsnake is at least six feet long. I respect these snakes and give them lots of space when I am out there hiking. Red-tailed hawks and eagles are always soaring overhead and I often see them catch snakes - it is sad, but it is life. I appreciate the hawks, eagles and snakes - they are part of my community.

The cobra has been rescued, no human was harmed, only one dog was harmed but not seriously. The cobra is now safe in its new home. Can we please let this whole thread end on a peaceful note? And that question is directed to everyone.

Once again I need to remind you that you also spoke about boa constrictors and 'constrictor snakes'. Such animals do not require extensive expertise like venomous snakes do. Many departments and agenda-driven groups are trying to ban such animals, even though there is only one recorded fatality (for boas) in the U.S. out of thousands or millions owned and only a sprinkle more for large snakes.

No snakes have escaped and killed anyone out of the owner's residence, as GM is constantly suggesting in a sensationalistic manner. Snakes are not the types to go on a bloody rampage, in fact few animals are. I don't believe anyone without training should be messing with 'hot' snakes and I don't think anyone experienced with them thinks otherwise. There are people who do have the experience who own and deserve to have the right to keep owning them.

Anyway, here's another update on the story:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/sep … diego-zoo/

What about snakes on a plane?

"Often in the Forums, topics are taken off-track.  Even worse, sometimes they are totally hi-jacked and used for personal agendas."

Good thing nothing of the sort took place here. It really helps if people just say what they mean and mean what they say. I still don't get Dave's joke, it sounds exactly like a familiar criticism I've repeatedly heard being directed toward snake keepers and keepers of other pets. I think that's how other people took it as well. But oh well, that's been cleared up. Also with Phyllis Doyle, none of your comments were out of line or meaning to be harmful, I just react to snake fatalities being nonchalantly mentioned. It is indeed the fact that people aren't intending to be harmful that makes me view things like commenting about fatalities harmful, so to speak. Other comments you've expressed here show you don't have snake owners pegged like many who judge, so I'm grateful for that.

3. bethperry profile image83
            bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

FPHERJ48, a gigantic DITTO! Phyllis brought this to attention, and no harm whatsoever in this. The derailers need to chill out and throw the fangs down.

It's been over for a while now.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

beth......AWESOME new profile pic!!  smile

Aw, thank you. smile

Your picture is pretty for sure Sed Me....but I was talking to Beth Perry!!  She's the Beth with the "New" profile pic!!    LOL...........

haha... How rude of me. I used this pic most the time I was here before so I wondered why you said it was new. Just ignore my desperate need for love.

2. bethperry profile image83

Oh thank you smile You have me blushing.

This is INDEED TRUE to the multillionth degree.  It is another way of being the rebel, the provocateur.

I wonder how you'd feel if someone accused your posting activities here of only existing to 'provoke', and that it's not a simple matter of having a passion about something?

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

I have to laugh because in SoCal you are more likely to get bitten by a homeless person than a single loose cobra.

Well, that is probably true. Most snakes are not aggressive. They bite only when confronted and feeling threatened.

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some people only bight too when feeling confronted and threatened smile

That also is very true.  smile

2. Dave Collado profile image60
      Dave Colladoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, you could be right but what are the odds of getting bit by a homeless cobra?

1. Titia profile image92
        Titiaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL

LOL - I think the odds are quite small.   The danger of the cobra biting would be if a child or dog thought the snake was something to play with.

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Having lived in many apartment buildings, I much prefer neighbors who keep exotic pets than people who keep house cats and small dogs.  Exotic pet owners were much more conscientious.  The cats and dogs on the other hand would get loose all the time (more likely let loose), leave poop in common areas, and the small dogs especially would yap all night. 

Much less risk of Timmy the Python getting loose in the air ducts than finding Miss Kitty roaming the laundry room.

OMGosh, don't get me started on irresponsible people who do not take proper care of their dogs and cats and let them run loose.  That could be a whole new thread subject.

10. Howard Pikkeur profile image57
    Howard Pikkeurposted 9 years ago

Dont think the owner wil stand up and say! That's my snake u have there. But yet they cach Albino corbras when ever they have the change

11. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

So anyway, Animal Control caught it. It is illegal to keep a cobra as a pet in CA. It's poison could kill a person in less than 2 hrs. They found him in a wooded area.

Actually they have venom, not poison. Many animals are illegal in CA, including ferrets. It's preposterous.

Is venom poisonous? lol... Sorry, it was late and Im not up on my cobra lingo.

Venom IS poisonous and it can be QUITE DEADLY.  A cobra as a pet?  Gasp, gasp, gasp!

2. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol, everything is poison at the right dose.  But in biology, the difference between venomous and poisonous has to do with where the toxins are in the animal and how it's delivered.

Venemous animals store the venom in a gland and inject it into the victim through some part of their anatomy, usually near the mouth.  The rest of their bodies is venom-free and you could safely eat the animal so long as you didn't cut into the venom gland when you were preparing it. 

Poisonous animals have toxins distributed all throughout their bodies.  They don't have to bite you to kill you, just eating or touching them is enough.  Poison arrow frogs are a good example.

An animal could also be both venomous and poisonous, but I don't know of any examples.  Perhaps if you ate a venomous spider whole it could also be considered poisonous since you would be ingesting the venom gland along with the rest of the spider. 

Sorry for the boring lesson, just thought I would share since a biology professor explained the difference to me many years ago after I committed the sin of conflating the two terms.

Now define "conflating."

That is when you combine two into one and confuse items unless you distinguish what you are saying, or between the items.

Ex:
              1. All bats are animals.
              2. Some wooden objects are bats.
              3. Therefore, some wooden objects are animals.

Take when two twins are born exactly alike. As they grow, they must be distinguished in some way in order to tell them apart - other than their names.

This can be found/used on many other items/persons.

I was just kidding. smile

Now you tell me. lol
                  There is a forum - started 3 months ago - that new people are writing on looking for you, thinking you left. I have been telling them you are still here.

Oh... weird. I didn't know.

Kevin, your example on bats is very clever.  smile

Thank you Phyllis, but I went through all of that and she was only kidding. I should have known, being who it was.

She was right. It was an awesome and extensive explanation. Much more than I deserved... I can google definitions so that's why I thought it would come across as a joke... 'cause it was not a common word. It seems less funny now. lol

I know she was only kidding, Kevin. I still think the bat analogy is very clever.

I knew about some animals that are illegal to own in California -- but, ferrets?  I wonder why a ferret would be illegal.

Completely erroneous claims about them becoming invasive there. Plenty of people ignore the law and still keep them (the pet stores still sell products for them), yet there isn't nor was there ever a problem with domesticated ferrets. Mayor De Blasio was considering removing the ban on them in NYC.

Well, I hope the Mayor removes the ban. I know a lot of people who own ferrets and they are darling pets.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

You may have heard of these Phyllis, but a few others are monk parakeets (Quaker Parrots) and these I have seen in pet stores but Piranhas are another. There were others but I thought that they were ridiculous, like a crocodile/alligator or raptor birds!

Glad Animal Control caught it.  No person in his/her right thinking mind would have a cobra as a pet!

1. bethperry profile image83

Amen Grace.

LOL...beth!  I commented on your awesome new profile pic......and Sed-me (formerly Beth 37 thanked me!)  LOL.....No doubt you're both adorable, but I was talking to you.....Wake up!  LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)