Let's get rid of the squid junk

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (44 posts)
  1. kerbev profile image84
    kerbevposted 9 years ago

I think out of respect to our new home and the other hubbers (I don't know the terminology yet, is that what they're called?), we former squidoo members should make an effort to get rid of the squid junk from our (former lens) hubs. 

What I mean is, there were a lot of references to things like RocketSquids, Squid Jenga, monsters, challenges, quests, angels (oh, those angel blessing lenses!).  None of that makes any sense here. 

I plan to get rid of this stuff, even if it means deleting hubs in their entirety.  I hope others do the same.  It has always been confusing to the public audience (which is who we are writing for), and even more so now.

My lenses haven't transferred yet, and I am expecting it to be a big project to make them look great in this new place.  I know everyone has a big project in front of them too, but keep an eye out for these things as you go.  Also, updating squidoo links.  Sure they'll redirect, but why not have them accurate in the first place.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a subject that may be "touchy" to some, but I totally agree with your point of view. We need to move on, not only in our minds, but also in our work. When I first came here to HubPages, I wrote a Hub about Moving On Again. This isn't my first rodeo in moving; eHow was a viable site years ago, where I was just getting a good start, when they were bought out. I was at Squidoo for almost five years and they were bought out. It's a matter of mindset, whether you stay in the past or move on to the future. All those things you mentioned were great at the time, but nothing static ever grows. So I'm stating here and now, I'm a HubPage writer, or Hubber, until the next great adventure.

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello and welcome to HP. Yes, we're called hubbers. I can't say I understand your references to all things Squidoo or how they work, but I'd like to insert a suggestion if I may. While some of the topics might seem useless as hubs, perhaps there are ways to rework some of them so they work here. Could the information be useful to someone writing blogs somewhere else on the net? Then delete references to Squidoo and make them about blogs in general. I'd hate to see everyone lose all of their hard work if there's any way to make a few alterations. I look forward to meeting you all and reading your work.

Mine were what we knew as lensographies; a list of my lenses that were in a category known as The Best of Squidoo, and a list of lenses for each year I was there. All of these separate lenses are already on my list for transferral, there was no point in keeping the lists. Also there were lenses that were done for specific projects, that I was never fond of in the first place, so they're gone. The 353 that are left are good enough, I think to begin my journey here on HP. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

1. profile image0
          sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now I understand a little more. I've seen those same types of hubs about hubbing or HubPages. Having 353 left after deleting some is amazing! I have some catching up to do.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

kerbev,
      First I wish to welcome everyone to HubPages. Now before you - and anybody else - deletes all of your work why do you not rewrite your lenses as HP Hubs and begin learning new terms, etc. That way you can practice writing and publishing in HP lingo and rules.

4. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a very generous suggestion. Very impressive.
      As a side note, the title of this thread seemed slightly disgusting... I'm glad I read it and got clarification. lol

5. Don Bobbitt profile image85
      Don Bobbittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kerbev- I have never been a Squidoo user, so it has been interesting to read the wide variety of reactions by former Squids(?) to their transition to HP.
      I have been writing on HP for over 4 years now, and I have watched a lot of the evolution of HP, and I have tried a number of other sites to expand my audience.
      My advice to you and your fellow" (again) Squids?" is that HP is for writers who generate quality content. If you are such an animal, then you will have no problem with your transition.
      HP is not a perfect site for writers, but, honestly, who could develop such a dream into reality.
      As for myself, bring your stuff on over (I have already read several of yours) and share it with all of us on HP. Some will be loved, and some will be ignored, as it is with all such sites.
      If it takes some of your peers a little longer to accept the change, then that's OK too.
      Welcome to All!
      DON

6. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

kerbev.....While I seriously PREFER the word "articles"  to "Hubs"......and the term "Writer"  to "Hubber"........the fact is, Yes, we're referred to as "Hubbers" and our writing as "Hubs."
      Welcome aboard.....and best of luck to you.  I believe you will be happy here.

2. profile image0
    fluffanuttaposted 9 years ago

I know I had a bunch of lenses (now hubs) about how to do things on Squidoo, which are now completely useless. I might try to repurpose some those hubs (if they have good URLs) but I suspect most will have to be binned.

Don't forget to purge those "great lens" comments. The "Find" feature in your browser will be helpful here...

1. SheGetsCreative profile image58
      SheGetsCreativeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great tip Fluff - I don't use the Find feature often enough.

2. Ice cold princess profile image60
      Ice cold princessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fluff... have you thought about making a hub on that - I only recently found the "Find" option you refer to, and that was while sorting something out for my blog. I know I can't be the only one who still feels "chucked in the deep end" - so to speak.

1. favored profile image63
        favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I may be the loner here, but I don't want to forget those who have helped me.  If I can I'll be changing things to fit this format, but I won't be leaving others in the dust.

We are to give credit and honor when due no matter where it is. So I'll be faithful to those who helped me and to those who have generously given me their time and support here on HP. I have been truly blessed by both and don't want to get lax in my giving thanks.  Do what you have to, but remember no one got here alone.  Blessings

1. KarenTBTEN profile image76
          KarenTBTENposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seeing you sign that "Blessings" really made me smile. I liked that as a closing even before Squidoo.

I am not planning on deleting comments that say things like "Blessed by a SquidAngel". If someone has made it through a 1,500 word article and is now absorbedly reading the comments, I think it's okay.

I did delete my two SquidAngel lenses after saving and taking screenshots. There came a point where it felt a bit like placing them on life boats. I do have a plan for what I will do with them in the future. Goodness knows when I will find time, though.

3. Ilonagarden profile image89
      Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am surprised at just how many references I had inside my work. I'm changing and deleting those so they make more sense in the present context, although using past tense for historical information about Squidoo is still on the table. It is too soon to decide what to do with all of it. I like one writers saying "back to the salt mines"... and I'm sure we will all have many changes ahead that we don't even fully realize yet.

3. Ann Hinds profile image68
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

While I had the chance to edit, I did just that. I was surprised to find how many links I had for Squidoo and I found a bunch but will have to track the rest and change them when my new hubs are transferred.

4. aka-rms profile image59
    aka-rmsposted 9 years ago

I'm trying to do this with the comments too. I'm deleting lots of comments that say, Great Lens!

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I feel like I'm playing Whack-a-Mole with all the "great lens" comments.

5. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

I dumped most of my Squidoo tutorials and community-related lenses before the transfer. That's part of why I'm now down to 259 lenses from 400.

There's a few I kept which could be repurposed, since the lessons learned there apply elsewhere, but in many cases I could see it would take so much work to revamp that it was better to ditch in order to be able to concentrate on the rest. (Also, an article on ancient Greek architecture that needs upgrading isn't going to be as annoying to people as an out-of-date SEO tutorial.)

Clearing out trivial/irrelevant comments is a whole other chore. I think I'll save that for after I've dealt with content refurbishing.

Note: I suggest ditching lensographies as well, unless they're informative.  Instead, use Hubpages "groups" to link together topically-related articles which would appeal to the same set of readers. If necessary, create a "table of contents" hub for them. (But that should have meaningful content on it as well. At least 500 words, I'd recommend, so it's more than just a link list.)

Thanks Greekgeek, I also deleted lensographies when we could still do so. I knew there was no place for them here on HP. I also took out several more than just weren't worth transferring for various reasons. That left me 353...so now I'm anxious to get on with it. Going through them with a fine tooth comb, when they get here. I want them to shine for HP. BTW, I'm subscribed to your blog, and I frequently repost things regarding  this move to my FB group, The Writer's Door, so they get the scoop on lots of things, thanks to you!

2. norma-holt profile image60
      norma-holtposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Greekgeek,

Glad to see you here. I used your lessons on how to format parts of my lenses and was always very grateful to you. Hope you give some insight here as well.

Hugs.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Anything that was featured, and I believe maybe WIP was included for the transfer.  Lensmasters know that the lensographies, lenses about Squidoo, have to go.  But they have to be able to have the time to sort through hundreds of lenses, and then work on the ones that are left.

7. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
    MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years ago

This is a good reminder.  I deleted my lensographies before the move since their aren't pertinent.

I was careful not to call articles lenses when writing.  However, my biggest problem will be those created during my first year when I was with RocketMoms.  There are references to the group and lenses (things like "Check out these great lenses about Halloween by other RocketMoms!")  Both terms completely irrelevant now.

I haven't given much thought to comments.  I may save those for low energy days when I don't really feel like thinking.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60

The Examiner:  A lot of the lenses can't be rewritten for HP.  HP does not have Squid Angels, or HP Angels or giant angels.  HTML cannot be used for photos here or products.  Those might be able to be revamped to teach how to use HTML for images, Amazon products in general though.  Squid Util lenses can't be used here Not all lenses will have to be deleted but some are simply no longer of use.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Linda,
      Then they can save what can be reused and only delete what cannot be used and replace it.

9. RandallJonas profile image70
    RandallJonasposted 9 years ago

Perhaps it would be easier for all if you could archive it as opposed to what might take lots time. Or not bother at all as nobody should be troubled by these posts.

10. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Welcome to the community and kudos for the great attitude on the transfer! I think if you ditch the lenses that aren't the strongest, you will actually wind up with more traffic than if you saved them, but that is a wise choice (and hard one at that!)

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Examiner: Squidoo writers will do exactly that.  Many of them work outside the home, some heard about the take over at the last minute because of being away on vacation. They will get the job done!

12. profile image0
    debW07posted 9 years ago

This makes sense and will help Squidoo writers in the long run. For anyone who may be sentimental about all those monsters and references, print a copy of your lens/hub before you 'clean it up' and keep those old lenses in a notebook.

13. N376 profile image56
    N376posted 9 years ago

I deleted all those lenses within a day or two of hitting the transfer button (which I did within half a day of seeing the announcement). Though I haven't seen my stuff transfer yet.

N376,
      Nothing should transfer if you deleted it all. Unless you are talking about something else.

14. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
    MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years ago

I did start to edit some of my lenses before the move.  Then, I noticed that editor was acting quirky.  Graphics were missing when I opened modules, for instance.  So, I decided not to touch anything else for fear that I might be doing more damage than good.

There will be things that need to be fixed.  It's slowly dawning on me that those who deleted lenses (either to take their articles elsewhere or as clean up for the move) have left broken links on the pages that were linking to those articles. 

Ah well, one hub at a time.

15. Titia profile image93
    Titiaposted 9 years ago

Mine haven't been transferred yet, but I think the lenses of the newborn lambs which I made for the last 4 years will give me the most trouble, because all lambs are named after former lensmasters with links to their Squidoo homepage. Those links have to go, some I can change to their new or same hub name.

I'll just have to think up something.
    Anyway I'll have a whole new family of hubbers now that I can give a newborn lamb namesake for years to come.smile

16. WriterJanis2 profile image77
    WriterJanis2posted 9 years ago

What about links to other lenses we had? Will those transfer now as links to other Hubs? (Once they're changed over?)

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the actual link in the transferred lens will be changed for you, but with the 301 redirects, you should be able to click on your old Squidoo links, and be redirected to that link's new home on HubPages. Assuming, of course, that the lens to which you've linked has made the transfer.

17. LindaSmith1 profile image60

This information about lens transfer was updated today:

http://www.hubpages.com/squidoo/faq

18. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68
    KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years ago

Good thinking Kab....

I was up to about 197 lenses on my 2 accounts a month or so before we got the news.  I already had started cleaning up my account and getting rid of stuff I no longer had an interest in.  Then when the announcement of this merger came, I went and deleted a lot more. 

Like what was already mentioned, lenses about the community and it's members won't fit here.  Lenses on the Traveling Squid won't fit here.  Nor will purple stars and other things.  Besides that I got rid of my work specific lenses.

So from about 197 I am now at only about 50 something, and believe me I wanted to cry at some of the ones I deleted.  So many memories...but yea, I'm ready to do what I have to do to make this work and learn this new community.

19. joanhall profile image85
    joanhallposted 9 years ago

I'm in the process of editing things now.  Comments that just say "Angel blessed!" are getting deleted.  But if the commenter said something interesting about the topic and then said "Angel blessed!", I'm leaving it in.

And to me, comments that say, "Great lens!" are sort of like old documents that have my maiden name on them.  It's a part of my history.  Letting my history be visible doesn't tarnish the present.

20. mythphile profile image76
    mythphileposted 9 years ago

One thing about comments: if you have some comments mentioning Squidoo or "lens" that mean a lot to you, but wouldn't mean diddly squat to your readers, you can "deny" the comment so it doesn't show publicly, but it'll still shows for you.

I found I couldn't bear to delete some old comments on a Lens of the Day. wink

Of course, we don't really want to clutter up the database with a ton of hidden content. But it's something to keep in mind.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if a typical visitor arriving via search engine even reads the comments. They are unlikely to even leave comments, even if you use the most liberal comment setting. Probably not worth worrying about.

21. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

I won't be deleting my squid angel blessings, but a lot of lenses were created for Rocket Moms to meet a challenge.  Some weren't my best work and they have been deleted.  There's a lot of things Squidoo advised that I honestly think were the reasons some of my lenses were locked and then I wasn't able to edit and republish.  I'm glad I didn't have a great number to contend with when they transferred.

22. amkatee profile image60
    amkateeposted 9 years ago

How do you delete?  I can't seem to find how to delete a hub.

23. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I am pretty much through the bulk of my clean up but have to do a second pass through to fix things I was not aware of when I did the first edit. I think I deleted about 6 - 10 articles over 3 accounts and that from about 400 articles so not a bad percentage overall.

Before you delete articles, see if you can bring them up to date or change them in any way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)