Obnoxious posters

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (42 posts)
  1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

There are some writers here that seem to glorify in making somewhat controversial posts which often result in obnoxious replies that border on direct attacks.

It seems to me that these prolific posters do not need to be replied to- so what I am advocating is that all those hubbers who are of more tolerant view point- just ignore these posts- dont try to reason, just ignore them and let them burn out in the great internet system.

I think they get a buzz out of being challenged and I for one will not be comentating on their posts. I cannot imagine what new members think when they read these posts- they must wonder what they have signed up for.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes... I have met many of them on here. So I hear yeah. wink

And the most obnoxious, are the ones who start whole topics about people without having the guts to name them. I cannot stand people who talk about others behind their back.

Don't you agree? smile

Like the other day, for instance... so many with something to say to "someone?"... but not the guts to say it to him or her.

2. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that is why so few bother posting in the forums these days case1worker - it just ain't worth the energy.  But I agree, to a newbie coming onto the forums it must look like we are all a bunch of nutters - in my case probably true LOL! smile

3. hotwebideas profile image63
      hotwebideasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been heckled by those posters too, but I ignore them.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image61

HEYif you are a nutter, then I must be one too!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

How about those poster who think everything said is about them?

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Wow... if I was paranoid I would think you were talking to me, UW.

But since my statement is a general statement, about people who post topics about others without naming them, as has happened several time in the past several days, I know it couldn't possibly be about me.

Unless you have a guilty conscience, I wouldn't see why that should bother anyone. And besides, I know you would have the guts to say it directly to that person, UW. I may not agree with you on issues, but I know you are a better person than to do such a chiken hearted thing.

Yes, just re-read it, and it is a general remark replying to the OP's topic... so?...

My point is, you all talk about annoying posts, then some of you post whole topics about people, who-ever that person may be, and don't even have the guts to name him or her, and tell them face to face.

That seems a pretty sad way to act to me.

Wouldn't you agree?

Pretty simple concept.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If people are posting threads that you think are about you, why do you not just call them out in the thread itself?

I have... when I think they are about me. I am not scared to speak my mind in any way.

If I truly thought this post was about me, as I COULD EASILLY take it as being in regards to the obama Occidental transcript topic I posted this morning considering the timing of that one and this, and the anger of certain individuals about it, then I would call anyone out.

I have in more than one topic. I have no fear of speaking out. But I give all the benifit of the doubt. I assume if the mulitiple threads in the last few days had been about me, then they would have the guts to say so.

okay smile

Again my first post was a general remark in response to the subject of the topic.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess you are paranoid then.  Because while you may be in the top ten you would not be the sole avatar of obnoxiousness on these forums.  I think we all get that honor at least occasionally.  You need to learn to share.

Agaiin Psyche, if I tought for a fact it was about me, I would light this forum up.

That simple.

And I am always happy to share, but I will never be forced to share.

5. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

Yes, there have been several attacks on people on the forums, who have done nothing to deserve it, except for having an opinion which dares to be different to other people.  The name-calling has been of an intimidating nature.  It is very easy to savage people of whom one knows nothing, from the comfort of the living room, from behind a computer screen, but it really isn't fair.  This is especially so if there are several people attacking one.  If the person they are attacking has said something shocking, whether racist, sexist or perverted, then fair enough, I think they get all they deserve when they are attacked.  But for simply having a different opinion seems a very poor excuse to belittle anyone.  And to call someone a liar, when they have only related true things that have happened to them is very frustrating and I think cruel.  I have witnessed a lot of spiteful things said on the forums, and there do seem to be some people who seem to gain pleasure from hurting other people.  So, yes, I agree that people who try to provoke controversy should perhaps be ignored, because debating with such people is a waste of time.  But also, I think people should not decide to target one person, because others are doing so, simply because it gives them pleasure.  This is the behaviour of the school playground, and really has no place in the grownup world.  And whilst it is perfectly acceptable to disagree with someone, that should be what debate is about after all, but personal vicious attacks by several onto one, is a terrible thing to see or experience.

6. CASE1WORKER profile image61

Just to clarify this is not about any one person, there are more than one.  ( No Cagsil it's not about you either or the clueless remark) but it is more of a thought about those people who raise deliberatly contencious issues and then defend them with overly strident language and refuse to respect the right to an alternative opion.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think it was about me.

As for your topic of choice, it's been discussed many times since I became a member, with regards to obnoxious posters.

I know what you mean. wink

CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

its just driving me mad- the last few days whilst you were serving time, it has been rather annoying.
        I still think the best way to deal with these people is to ignore them as they will all end up in the proverbial trash can- by replying we ignite them and they continue to post .
        I know we all have different ideas but surely at times the best we can do is agree to disagree, shake hands and move on?

Agree to disagree, yes it does have a place. But, it depends. wink

CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, you might possibly have an argument with some merit there- however on the whole i do not agree with your qualification ofthe original statement. However I recognise and respect your right to hold a different view from myself.

Now wasn't that nice!!! All pink and fluffy and very well behaved!

lol lol

2. TMMason profile image61

Welcome back, my fellow obnoxious hubber... good to see you survived the deadening days of suspension, Cags. It has been quite boring without you around to defend the indefensible.

Be careful Mason. Your statement could be construed to be a personal attack.

For those who know me, actually know I am not obnoxious, but appear to be.
          It's not the worst thing to happen, I've been banned for longer in the past.
          Interesting remark.

I am not the one who put you in that catagory Cags, bro... you were bestowed that honor, it is earned.

I know, I have earned it myself. smile

Yes, the four month one really dinged my fun in here. But hey plenty o' boards out there out there in the I-net world of forums. And yes depending on which side of the isle you are, dictates who finds you obnoxious. But you have been the same Cags since I showed up 19 months ago... so, all the more fun.

Bestowed, which means it wasn't actually earned, but given. Your words yet again fail you.
              I am sure there are plenty.
              Actually, this would be untrue, unless you are speaking for yourself. Having the inability of seeing beyond one's own ego is where obnoxious stems from. This isn't a problem I possess or have. However, the perceptions of others I cannot speak of, but can only point out their actions and what their actions speak of.
              I have changed in being, because I've learned more than you could imagine. And to me, learning is fun. wink

Please... are you going to argue that.

Like an award is bestowed upon one, and actor or sportsman, because they have earned it, Cags. Simple, man... you been out the game too long.

And I am well aware of the reason they call me obnoxious. Because they can niether re-educate, nor shut me down. I decimate their revisionism and their lil liberal/Democrat Progressive dream of a new America, where the Constitution is torn up, and the Central Authority is god and the robin-hood of re-distribution.

Ughh... make me think of Ridley Scott and all the revisionist BS movies.

No need for you to attempt to argue.
                  Bad analogy. An award is handed out for something good. Being obnoxious isn't good and shows that individual's lack of understanding of self. hmm
                  Rationalized by you? Now, that's funny.
                  No one in their right mind, would attempt to re-educate you, the action itself is futile. As for shutting you down? It isn't anyone's position shut you down. Irrationality is addressed when seen, so no need to shut you down. wink

I am truly complimented when Leant Leftists and their Progressive cohorts call me any name... especially obnoxious, among a few others I cannot say here, but of which I am sure they have been at the very least, thought about, me. lol

So as I said, it depends on who is doing the calling, and who they are calling.

Hey man, you got a list for those smily codes, the ones I use elsewhere do not work here. The Yahoo ones. I am using the same codes as on there but...

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I don't see why people get so worked up about forum posting, it's mind-numbingly meaningless much of the time. hmm
    It's a forum, people waste a lot of time here posting nothing or just want to hang out for a while or find help for specific problems.

smile

1. profile image0
      Valemanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forums should be for enjoyable debate, where no one is attacked, and where people with different views can agree to disagree.  Some people like to argue though, and if they view someone as different to themselves, they will pursue them over forums.  Some people can cope with this, whilst others find this distressing. I have come to believe though that it is better not to take the forums too seriously and to ignore personal attacks, in the hope that they will run out of steam.  Replying to a personal attack is adding fuel to the fire.  Personally, because I find personal attacks distressing, I have decided not to read any comments made by someone who has previously attacked me.  That way, the forums remain an enjoyable experience for me.  After all, these forums are for entertainment purposes, and people only have the power to upset us, if we allow them to.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Ego much?

Yes. I know very well how bad I irratate all the Leant Leftists and Progressives here and else-where. I am very good at what I do.

9. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

I took this advice a long time ago. If someone gets confrontational or makes a jab at you, just don't react. I stopped taking things personally a long time ago and decided I can privately call anyone a 'jerk' if I want to, just not on the forums.

I have lots of choice names hidden under my keyboard. Hhehehe.

1. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aRE25RtcVM8/TMcVFxiInsI/AAAAAAAADlI/OnqWQwEeCRg/s320/bully4.jpg

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10518059.jpg
        I EAT BULLIES for breakfast.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10519531.jpg
        BRING IT ON, YEAH BRING IT, C'MON BRING IT!
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10520668.jpg
        (gives a venomously deadly look)
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10522361.jpg
        Try IT.......try IT.........(starts hissing)
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10523110.png
        TIME to put a STOP to this.........LET'S DO IT!
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10524445.jpg
        WE'RE on THIS, MAN!
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10525953.jpg
        (internal hissing growl)
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10526686.png
        I promise that I will stop being that contentious and obnoxious person in the forums. I won't start fights nor resort to personal attacks.  Please, just leave ME alone! PLEASE....

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

The thing that makes forums at all enjoyable is not taking any of it seriously.  They're a break from work, or a time-killer.  There's stuff we don't like on TV too - and we turn down the sound, switch channel, or turn off the TV completely.

When we were kids and would complain about what someone else did or said, my father would say, "You just worry about what you do.  Don't be worried about what anyone else does."  Decades after he was around saying that, I still pretty much go by it.  smile

1. profile image0
      Valemanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish my father had given me that advice.  It would have saved a lot of heartache.

11. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

How in the world did you find this three-year old thread?

12. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Why on earth are you digging up 2 and 3 year old threads?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wondering the same ...

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

THIS IS FUN, I LOVE RECYCLING........... I usually read them for fun but this one I just COULDN'T resist interjecting......
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10528630.jpg
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10540862.jpg
        Bring her to life.........RISE, RISE, RISE my dear!
        Sometimes I can be quite................DEVILISHLY impish...........
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10540890.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)