A big thank you to all who helped me this past week.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (53 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

So many of you jumped in with good advice to help me after my hubs crashed and burned last week that I was overwhelmed.  I love this community!  I know, too, that many of you have been reading my work to help me "up" my numbers, and I also thank you for that.  So far I have completely reworked about 20 hubs, but I have more than 120 to go.  Numbers seem to be slowly rising, so apparently what you told me to do is working.  Of course time will tell.  Again, thank you..thank you...and,oh yes...THANK YOU!

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good stuff, glad to hear it. I don't think I was much help except in talking about the mental keyword programming. What do you think the main issues were?

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Suzanne Day:

Well, for one thing, the team casually mentioned that Google "might" have changed the way the determine their rankings!! 

Another is that I needed to start changing the way I do my summaries and key words.

I also am slowly getting rid of all the bolded letters.

In addition to that, I suddenly realized that I have been putting some of my articles in the wrong categories.

Sooo...whether changing all that is starting to work or whether it is just the end of the Labor Day weekend, I am not sure.  Also, because HP and Analytics count my own views and I'm editing a lot, it is hard to know just how much improvement there really is.

I know that there is some, but until I finish all of this updating, etc and let things sit a bit, I really will not know.

It has not helped that HP has been so slow with updating the stats pages, either.

And frankly, your advice actually woke me up to something I had no idea I was even doing...so thanks!

1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
          Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of categories.  I wish HP would come up with more categories because sometimes I have a hard time fitting some of my hubs into them.

1. Suzanne Day profile image94

Just suggest them to HP staff. Sometimes they will take you up on it, sometimes they won't.  It depends on if they think lots of hubs will be written in that category. There's no point in having a category with only a couple of hubs. Categories need to have 20 hubs in them to feature properly.

2. Suzanne Day profile image94

Lovely to hear back from you! Sounds like it's not too hard of an edit, (relief!) removing bolding, fixing summaries etc. I do think there has been algorithm change as the pattern in traffic with hubs not usually "noticed" getting steady traffic now point to that.

Good luck with it all. I think Google is panting down the hill away from anything it considers spammy, so maybe that's why the bolding and too many keywords thingy is an issue. I think Amazon capsules may become an issue again in the future, but we will have to wait and see.

I usually forget keywords, write the hub in Word (without even researching any words) then if I plan to use keywords, I add them at the end when crafting the title and URL before transferring to Hubpages. By not researching any words until after the hub is written, you can often avoid keyword programming....

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59

Like +

2. Alison Graham profile image92
    Alison Grahamposted 9 years ago

It's great that the help you have received has made a big difference, the Hubpages community is a great one to belong to - I was just wondering whether Suzanne has made a hub about what can be done to improve Hub rankings - if so, please point me to it, if not, is there a possibility of writing one please?

Allison Graham:

I can't answer that question, but I  do know that  many have written on this topic and also that you can find info about it in the Learning Center.

2. Suzanne Day profile image94

Hi Alison, I tend to only write the odd HP hub because it takes me a long time to write hubs. I might look at doing that topic for the next one (after about 5 more of mine). Unfortunately with only so many hours in the day, I need to get a few more under the belt before writing a HP hub again. But best advice I can give is:

1. Write long hubs that delve into the subject properly

2. Use bold, italics, subheadings, bulleted lists etc a little sparingly (don't splash them all around)

3. Try to make it interesting enough to hold people's attention to the end of the hub (eg pictures, polls, sectioning)

4. Follow the HP suggestions for a stellar hub (top right in editing mode)

5. Write naturally, forget about keywords while doing the actual writing. If you're going to use keywords, put them in when finished.

6. Write 100% original text - Google loves it. Even if you have to take a fact and rewrite it into your own words every time. Do not copy even one sentence from another website. In fact, I try not to use other websites for researching information at all, because you can find yourself subconsciously programmed to accidentally use their words - this lowers ranking on your hub. I find rewriting facts from books in your own words, adding your own experience and making connections between facts to create something new to be much better for coming up with original text.

7. Figure out if it's an organic search hub or a social hub and promote it appropriately.

8. Write more. The more original (ie the angle hasn't been covered yet online) the more Google seems to like it longer term.

I'm sure you know all this already!

1. Alison Graham profile image92
        Alison Grahamposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Suzanne,  I appreciate your reply and thank you for the helpful tips. The categories question is one that I have struggled with  too - so the tips here from other  Hubbers have also been very helpful

2. Linda BookLady profile image80
        Linda BookLadyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that advice. I've printed it out for ready reference as I work on my hubs.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I was really impressed at the feedback you received as well.  I want to thank you for asking the question, because I learned things that will be helpful in my hubs as well.

4. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Remember this?

"Why? Because we love you!"
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9231463_f248.jpg

Writer Fox:

Awwwwwwww

5. firstday profile image61
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Brie you are right.  Several people have been forums saying they are not sure which category to use and I must admit at times I wonder too.

I just wrote to the HP team and asked them to add a couple categories for me.  Don't know if it will help but I write a lot of articles on homesteading and off-grid stuff and there is no good category for that.  I also write a lot on making money through self-employment and I always have a hard time with that too.  I can't remember if there is an alternative medicine category but that would be a good one as well.  Anyway, can't hurt to make a suggestion.

Brie:

I contacted them about a similar thing, but they refused to add anything.  So, I just do the best I can.

They helped me..For my new series of articles titled Is (ADD STATE) a Good State to go Off the Grid..they said to use Home, Green Living and then they are going to add sustainable living as a sub text.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find that the categories are often there, they've just been created as a sub-category of something you wouldn't expect.   I find it helps to look at other Hubs on the same topic and see what category other people have used, and often there is a suitable one, I just hadn't been able to find it.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With the beginning of the EC program and the change in navigation, we are no longer able to see the categories on most Hubs – just the main Topic.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

It's nice to see the community coming out to help!  It's not always easy opening a thread asking for advice.  You have to take what you think may apply specifically to you and see what happens.   
    As much as the collective community knows, none of us really can pinpoint exactly why you had such an immediate drop in traffic.  I'm glad to hear things are looking better for you.

Update:

I have now updated 75 of the hubs in my main niche, and while my hub scores have risen and my hubber score remains the same, I am still down 75% in both views and income from what I had prior to August 25.

I thought numbers would increase as I improved, but not those from Google, I'm afraid.

I have been told that Google re ranks articles once a month, so may be on September 25 I will see a change.  This has been a maddening experience, but also has forced me to totally rewrite several articles  and titles to make them better.

We'll know in a few weeks.

It's going to take some time.  While you're waiting, here's a good article to read about the process:
        http://searchengineland.com/confusion-g … hes-202875

Writer Fox:

Thanks for sharing this with me.  I know these things take time, but it is so hard to work and work to improve and see nothing happening.  It is almost worse than not knowing what caused the problem in the first place!

I keep checking WMT for insights, but there is not one message or one breath of a penalty from them.  This really sucks!

It's good that there's no penalty or warning.  That means that the regular algorithm update was at work.  Did you ever find the data on what keyword queries were bringing you traffic before the slump?

Yes, I did...but I pretty much knew what my most popular queries were.  Now they still bring queries but not many of them.

Have you ever heard of a site called crazylanderror.com?  They have linked to my work almost 350 times yet I cannot find them on google search and have no idea who they are.  Could this be some sort of spam connection that may have brought me down?

Also there is one called teamwakeforce.com that linked 423 times and marriagerefresh.com which linked 223 times, both of which I cannot look at because they say entry is forbidden!  One  with a 403 and another with a Port 80.

I have no idea what these are but cannot help but feel they may be the basis for my issue.  Any thoughts?

Does this look familiar to you?
                http://goo.gl/BFP6J5

It sounds like a Google Penguin algorithm to me.  All you have to do is use the Disavow Links Tool.  You can find out how to do this on my Hub about Google Penguin.  Be sure to watch the video there.

I clicked on that link but have absolutely no idea what it is and the site it linked to looked like insanity!  I don't see how that connects to my issue, but I'll try doing what you said and hope that it works!  Thanks.

Apparently that is a forum and Crazy Error is a Playstation game.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Writer Fox:

I watched the video and also read Marisa's link info and feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with this.  I am afraid that if I try to use this tool, I will mess up my already badly messed up site, and if I don't, it will never recover.

I have yet to get any bad link messages from Google, so am not even sure if my situation requires disavowing some links.  I have traced three of them to cloudforce and another three to Enom.com and one more to Codero, which seems as though that one might be OK.  Some of them refer you to a site called FactVibe, and others do not even exist.  Crazyerrorland is not nor has it ever been a registered domain name according to WhoIs.

According to Marisa's link, Google does not remove those links or even penalize the people who spammed you, which is totally insane, I think.  All it does is make them "no follow", but I do not understand how that will help me.

We need to talk more about this.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

crazylanderror cannot be found on IE, Google Chrome, or Firefox.

LindaSmith1  Yes...this is an issue of concern for me...big time. Thanks for looking.

I am now seeing numerous sites that I cannot access that say things in relationship to errors, such as errorzap.com.  There are also some others with  the word "marriage" in them.  I think I have a very serious problem here, so if anybody can help, I'm all ears.  I have written the team about the first three but I fear there are dozens more and from what I have read, getting "unlinked" is almost impossible.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

If I was one of the ones to help you with this, I give you my congratulations for your results. :-)

The Examiner-1:

Right now, things have taken a down turn if you look a bit further up this post.  Things are not good because I think somehow I got some spammy backlinks that my have messed up my numbers...but I am not certain of that...or of anything else at this point.  But thanks, anyhow.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, TIMETRAVELER, I did not look at the forum. I just saw your opening remark on HubPages and posted my comment. I am sorry about your problem, I hope that you are able to mend it soon.

9. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Go here and ask, giving the names of the linking sites and the numbers of links:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/ … g--ranking

Writer Fox:  I did that 12 hours ago and nothing happened

You mean that you posted a question and no one responded?

Writer Fox:

Yes.  Six people viewed the post and nobody responded.

Writer Fox:

If  a bad link has attached itself to an article and I remove the article, does the link remain in Google's eyes?

If the article is gone and the cache is gone, it's history and the bad link gets a 404 if anyone clicks on it (which means it goes to a page which doesn't exist).

Are you really going to remove content because of this?  Why not just remove the links following the instructions on the Google Link Disavowal Tool?

Writer Fox:

I am not yet certain about which links are causing the problems and am first writing to the domains that I can reach to ask them to fix the problem, as Google suggests.

Also, this does not sound as simple to me as you say it is.

Finally, I am not sure if the links are the problem because Google has not sent me any messages about this.

What I am trying to do first is update every hub, remove nonproductive ones, reorder them in appropriate groups, and then, if all else fails, write to Google and ask the to reconsider my ranking.

I know you are very good with this stuff, but I am not, so I need to make sure I do this right because I think it is my only chance.

Furthermore, I am not sure if this loss of views is because summer has ended because 75% of my views and income come from my RV hubs, and my loss is also 75%.  Ironically, I just checked to see where my most popular article was on Google Search by typing in some of the key words, and it is sitting in first place on page 1 right now...but I am only getting 50 views per day, whereas before I was getting around 200.  This makes me think it might not be the links or quality or any of the other stuff that was discussed in this post.  It is very confusing.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

What led you to think that the links might be the problem, I must've missed that somewhere?

Read the thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)