Should Syrian Rebels be armed by the US?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (16 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 9 years ago

The debate continues on the Hill as to whether or not the arming of rebels against the Assad regime is a good idea. As we armed rebels against Russia the weapons were turned against us in Afghanistan. Is enemy of my enemy my friend still the norm over there?

1. maxoxam41 profile image64
      maxoxam41posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since I believe that Al-Qaeda, Al nostra, ISIS are US made terrorist groups, I am against arming "rebel" groups since they work for us. So far, we've already armed them but they failed to demolish Syria. How do you think they multiply? How come they possess American weapons already? You need finances, heavy logistics, training to be everywhere at the same time (ubiquitous gift?) how can djihadists with a poor military background succeed efficiently?

rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree there has probably been some weapons "sharing" from the CIA and other covert agencies and I do believe that the Iraqis dropped their weapons where they fled to avoid capture and or death when some weapons exchanged possession with the ISIS fighters. But that is a willy nilly scenario and hard to track down as with anything else over there. (Remember the millions and millions of dollars on pallets that were mysteriously lost soon after Saddams defeat?) But is there a way we can get some one over there to fight this thing on the ground while we bomb from above. Maybe that would give them some sort of ownership of this region and stop the fluctuating hysterics.

Were you joking when you alluded to bomb them? So far, according to Scahill's Blackwater (I'm at page 184), those mercenaries are in Iraq to kill and make big bucks. When resistance rises it called terrorism. What is the US doing over there? While Iraqis are getting poorer, the US elite is in control of prevalent Iraqi assets.
          By sending mercenaries, are we there to spread democracy? It is obvious that it is not our objective, it is to inflame the population. When they react to defend their country against our occupation it justifies our eradication of the Iraqis.
          ISIS is not a threat otherwise we would have eliminated it already. We are using them to create chaos and once they created enough shock and awe, we officially ban them stating that they are terrorists. It is another recurring pattern in our behavior.

I am dead serious. Bomb the hell out of them if you wish to control them. I haven't heard much from Pakistan recently as they quiver at the mere sound of a drone flying overhead.

We don't need any more reasons for them to hate us by putting Black Ops in the country to stir up more anti American sentiment. We have the crown jewel of sticking it to them with our support of Israel. It is what fuels "ALL" the fires over there. Then again there is the pesky CIA.....

You hid yourself very well under a so-called informed opinion. But, the magic of discussions is that at one point or another, people break their shell and their real persona appears.
              You didn't answer me yet, WHAT ARE WE DOING IN IRAK?

No Voo Doo here. If I ask for opinions it does not mean I don't have some of my own. I don't think we should put any troops anywhere in the Middle East. It is like the old phrase of the "Camel putting his nose in the tent". Once attacked or wronged the whoop ass begins. History repeating itself as in the Bay of Tonkin or Afghanistan resulting in Iraq's invasion. Better it should be more like Kosovo where NATO led by the US bombed them into submission. If they can't play nice in a political solution then we should at least help those who are innocently caught in the crossfire.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Given that the Assad regime is the one holding back ISIS, now is certainly not the time (if there is a time) to be pushing for regime change..

What are you talking about? How far are you from REALITY? Assad and ISIS are the same? Are you joking? But what is your source and how dare you say such a lie? Assad was elected by a Syrian majority. It doesn't count? What about the self-determination of a country? Who is eating Syrian soldiers' hearts? Who killed Syrian children in Ghouta?
        With the existence of independent info sources, it is a SHAME to read such opinion and it probably represents the "thinking" majority. I'm ashamed to meet in 2014 people that still believe what mainstream media says! Wasn't the weapon of mass destruction lie enough for you to understand what our government was doing without our knowledge? What else do you need?
        What is the intellectual level of this platform?

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about? How far are you from REALITY? CIA and ISIS are the same? Are you joking? But what is your source and how dare you say such a lie?  With the existence of independent info sources, it is a SHAME to read such opinion.  I'm ashamed to meet in 2014 people that still believe what the conspiracy theorists say! 

What is the intellectual level of this platform?

You don't have your own opinion to state or are you speechless. I am proud to go against the mainstream that YOU represent. You are the OLD way of thinking. Russia are commies, Republicans (and democrats) work for the people, the elite has YOUR interests (obviously), America is a GREAT country (with 7,8% of inflation, 23% of unemployment, $70 trillions of debts...), we send mercenaries to kill civilians WHY? Because Chinese are smarter than us. Because Chinese do with diplomacy what we do with drones.
            You can also copy/paste those lines too. I will DEFEND my land against any form of usurpation starting with the elite!

I just found it really ironic that you would question someone for not supplying sources of data, or for quoting data that no one believes.  That's all.

You can find all the data necessary on independent websites, where I found them. For starters, Griffin Webster Tarpley wrote about the subject so if it REALLY interested you or psycheskinner your curiosity would have been at least piqued. It wasn't the case, so don't come and open a conversation with me based on mainstream media intox.
                It belongs to younger generations to open their eyes as for who hides behind the puppets that we elect and the propaganda instilled by our media. It doesn't bother you that the mainstream media is uniform? It doesn't bother you that critical views are inexistent? It bothers me.

But it wasn't about a conversation based on media intox.  It was about a post from someone that perpetually spreads hatred of the west and unfounded conspiracy theories all without a bit of evidence.  Then complains when someone else doesn't provide evidence, either.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A good point. And a companion point would be how can we know who we would be arming?

GA

3. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

An easy answer is no. An easy explanation is the question "What would we, (the U.S.), think if another country armed rebels/dissidents in a U.S. civil war/rebel uprising?"

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)