Confused about a "Style Tip" - about a copyright

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Shades-of-truth profile image84
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I have been searching on the web and on the forums for days for the answer to this question.

Why is this "Style Tip" suggestion on one of my Hubs?
    "We noticed that you are using one or more Text Capsules to display copyright information in this Hub. Copyright information should be shown at the bottom of your Hub and have standard formatting. To enable HubPages' standardized copyright notice on this Hub, delete your copyright information, navigate to the "Display Options" section of the HubTool, and turn the copyright notice on."

If I am allowed to post the link to the Hub here, for clarification, please let me know.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP prefers you to use its copyright module instead of using your own.  So, anytime you use the word 'copyright' or include the symbol ©, you will see that warning.

However, you are not required to use the HP copyright format.  If you want to use your own and don't want to see the warning, just include your copyright information in an image.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11701722.png

Here are some forum threads about the HP notice when it was first introduced:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115315
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115408

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages prefers you use only one copyright notice. A lot of hubbers insert their own copyright notice at the end of their hub. This is not a penalty -- however, HP has a copyright notice they prefer you use. You will find this notice when you click on Display Options in the right hand column.

When you write a hub, click on the Display Options before you publish. There are choices listed there.
      1. Ads On is a default and it is best to leave that on.

2. Copyright notice: it will have a choice of "no notice" or a copyright notice with your name and date (this is what HP wants you to use.

3. Group: assign your hub to one of your own groups.

As I said above, HP prefers you use their copyright notice. If you put your own notice in after your hub, you will continue to get that Style Tip notice. Some hubbers just ignore it and use their own notice.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image84

Thank you both, but I evidently did not explain myself sufficiently. I have implemented the "copyright" option in the Display setitings area, on all of my Hubs.

The Style Tip that I quoted, was only on one of my imported Lenses that has morphed into a Hub, and I do not understand it, at all.

That particular Hub is nothing like what I normally pen (or should I say - bang out on a keyboard) so I am at a loss to know why it is there.

If I can put the link to the Hub here, perhaps someone might enlighten me. I am so loathe to put a link to one of my own Hubs up, because I was under the impression that we were only to do that in specific cases.

This may be a specific case - input, anyone?

P.S. To Writer Fox - I checked the links - they don't seem to pertain to my question, but am going to bookmark them for future reference. Thanks!

Just put the Title of your Hub.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Shades, You are right about placing a link to your hub here.  But you can just show the first word or two of the title so I can go and look for it in your profile and examine it.

Am I understanding correctly? -- You are using HubPages' Copyright Display Option AND you are not using your own in any text.  But you are still getting that warning. Is that what the issue is?

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

If you use the copyright symbol anywhere in your text content, even if it's not actually being used to make a copyright statement, you will see that warning on the Hub

A single © anywhere and it trips the filter.

5. Shades-of-truth profile image84

AHA! Sorry, everyone. I am at my business, and was busy. I believe that I shall not have to bother anyone any longer.

If the trigger is what it appears to be, I will not have to post the title here, and no one will have to spend precious time trying to see what did it.

One of the diacritical marks I used transferred over improperly, and I think (emphasis on "think") that was the issue.

I will remedy that, and see if that resolves the problem.

Thank you, every one of you who came to comment and help a "newbie"!

6. Shades-of-truth profile image84

I just corrected it - THAT was it! Much gratitude to you all!

Glad that worked out!

7. Shades-of-truth profile image84

Whew! ME, too!
    Rephrased to be grammatically correct:

(I am so relieved, and glad that it was something simple, which could be easily corrected!)

8. Moses Wafula profile image72
    Moses Wafulaposted 9 years ago

Hi welcome. This is the right place no violation of rules.  I am new too. I am getting on well

9. Moses Wafula profile image72
    Moses Wafulaposted 9 years ago

Apologies. that comment was not meant for this thread.

10. profile image0
    BarbaraCaseyposted 9 years ago

Just to throw in a wrinkle... I have the warning/suggestion on my keyboard symbols page where I show the copyright symbol, the word itself... plus the alt key, Unicode and html codes to make the symbol. Now I'm wondering if it will cause problems down the road or is it okay to let the "style tip" stay there permanently.

The Style Tip can stay there permanently.  It's just a 'tip' not a requirement.

1. profile image0
        BarbaraCaseyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Writer Fox.

11. Shades-of-truth profile image84

I am glad I came back to read the latest comments. What Barbara asked, and Writer Fox answered might just help me in the future - and a lot of other people, too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)