The belief in God has caused more problems than it has solved!

Jump to Last Post 151-179 of 179 discussions (1698 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

An imaginary friend is a good thing.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Anyone have a problem with that?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not I, dear sir.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We must peruse...

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Checking in.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

Why am I contra-imptemtive?

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

Why do I need to explore this?

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Yes I do.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60

Who disagrees?

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

I am tired...

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

So tired...

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

I almost wish this thread dead, but not.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

Yes, let us continue.

12. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

I know you are having so much fun, paradigmsearch.  Continue with the festivities at hand. Let me return to writing some more hubs.

13. hammerj01 profile image59
    hammerj01posted 11 years ago

these article is very interesting to read..I'll look further more about your article...great one..

14. hammerj01 profile image59
    hammerj01posted 11 years ago

these article is very interesting to read..I'll look further more about your article...great one..

15. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 11 years ago

One thing that might be helpful in these discussions is to remind ourselves that in the OP or question, it doesn't say fully solved...  We see people that are basically suggesting that if a bad thing in this world isn't totally gone, completely gone, then religion has failed.

Some people are pointing out where it succeeds in actually changing views and lives, from bad to good.  The responses saying in essence, "We still see it some places", doesn't really touch on the discussion, and missed the point being made that it has solved many of the problems where it has in particular lives and countries, etc. 

It is fair to share the cause and effect we see in these cases, where the opposite was in play before.  That is change for the good, and an example of solved where the ideas were applied.  It also makes sense that if not applied, of course you won't see the good results in other's lives and surrounding communities.

16. oceansnsunsets profile image84

In 1 Timothy 1:8-10, we see a large list of things, and enslaving is one of them that is bad.  They are talking about what is lawful and good.  It gives a list of wrong things, like murderers and perjurers among others.  Enslaving is listed there as a bad thing to do, which doesn't surprise me at all in light of all the of the other things these guys taught and lived.

17. jblais1122@aol profile image67
    jblais1122@aolposted 11 years ago

It is not the belief in God that causes problems.  It is not ones basic religion that causes problems.  A long held belief was that Civilization begat religion as a form of teaching people to live together in communities peacefully.  As a guide to civilized living so to speak.  This theory has been tested recently due to the discovery of what appears to be a religious edifice built long before the mudbrick and stone communities came to be.
    It is the greed of mankind that has caused problems and will always cause problems in the greater world.  Conveniently, most moves to conquer and expand have been made in the "Name of God".  Along with that expansion most conquering hoards have done so with the "convert or die" mentality.  The Arab expansion did this across the entirety of North Africa, the Crusaders did this across the Holy Land.  The Spanish did it in South and Central America, and other Europeans did it in North America and South Africa.
    With our current population so greatly increased it is now the words, extremest and fundamentalist that must be looked at.  It is not a belief in God that causes problems, rather it is a belief in the uselessness of life on earth that has raised it's head.  When a group decides that it does not matter what they do in this life as long as their reward in the next is Great, they will do what ever they feel is necessary to promote their groups agenda.

18. oceansnsunsets profile image84

In conclusion, I stand by my claim that Christianity doesn't teach or preach slavery.  My other posts aren't showing up, but I hope this one will at some point.  We see many people over history that are anti slavery using and relying on their beliefs from Christianity to support their views.  Their drive to fight it such as William Wilberforce, are a great examples of the importance of human life and human rights playing out.

Jesus didn't command us to take slaves, nor did God command in his 10 commandments to take slaves, and God even freed up to a few million slaves and not because they were in a situation he approved of.  Jesus took the form of a bond servant to humanity, and died even, and we it  taught against in the first chapter of 1Timothy. 

People that make claim to the contrary, that Christianity supports or teaches slavery or promotes it, uses ancient teachings specifically meant for the time.  Understanding how hermeneutics works, and how history world over was in regards to slavery sheds much light on this.  Slavery covered a much broader term as well, than our current view of slave ships and then from stories like Roots.  You have to be fair and take all things into consideration.  It doesn't even make sense to suggest that Christianity teaches slavery, when it actually teaches to be a servant to all, and that is maybe the extent of it.  Out of love, and thinking of your neighbor.  When in doubt, read a bit more for clarification, before judging.  It is way too easy to assume that when it says, "When you buy a male Hebrew slave........", that it means for US to go and do just that.  We know better, that they are speaking to each other in their own ancient context.  This is true not just for slavery, but for MANY things they did in their own context.  I bring up history around the world as well, to show this "slavery" wasn't just a strange phenomenon among ancient biblical people.  The slave trade was downright evil, and the men that perpetrated it in the last several centuries were driven by greed and not by human rights or anything from the bible, not legitimately.

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

Post 1,594 and counting...

20. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

"And btw, you put Christianity in there on your own when we were talking about religion."

Because that is my faith... see post that YOU obviously did not read.

1. profile image0
      Spikologyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again, the others and I were discussing the good that "religion" has done. If you substitute Christianity in that then it negates a lot of other religions, therefore a lot of other problems solved.

I never said you were not a Christian.

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Unfollowing. Damned time delay...

23. paradigmsearch profile image60

Looking for 2K.

24. paradigmsearch profile image60

25. paradigmsearch profile image60

And just why is this thread not on the front page? Offends my sensibilities. Just saying... Please, let the party continue...

26. paradigmsearch profile image60

Dropping by...

27. howtolearnmore profile image59
    howtolearnmoreposted 11 years ago

What I love about this debate is how pointless it is: do you think you can convince anyone with rational arguments? If human beings were rational, we wouldn't have religions.

The reason why it will always exist is because it fills a spiritual void.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It fills a void all right - but only for some, and it is not a spiritual void. wink

1. howtolearnmore profile image59
        howtolearnmoreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, good luck debating this topic, mate smile

Thanks man - you might be surprised how many people rethink their irrational beliefs when faced with reasonable conversation.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
            PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So where were we? Oh yea, religions especially Christianity brought us centuries of hospitals, colleges and charities. On the other hand one of the most notable things  atheism brought us was mass murdering atheist regimes.

Dear me. Are you going to tell me Hitler was an atheist as well next? And this is your justification for 2,000 years of murder in the name of Jesus? It is OK that after raping and plundering the known world's resources for 1,500 years, we started building hospitals. lol :Lol:

No wonder your religion causes so many fights. sad

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right, just like the Christian Hitler and the dark ages and of course the crusades.

28. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

Hmmm - this thread is all messed up. lol

29. valdimir1132 profile image60
    valdimir1132posted 10 years ago

Wanted to say thank you from SoftinCorp LLC and partners for software development of the  Internet TV project management group.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)