Emails for comments

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Paula Atwell profile image67
    Paula Atwellposted 9 years ago

Is there anything in the emails settings or the comments settings in our accounts that will send us an email when we get a comment on a hub?

1. ajgodinho profile image81
      ajgodinhoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paula, all the email settings are under \My Account \Profile \Email Settings

There is a section called "When a Hub that I am following …"  which I assume is what you're looking for. I believe all our own hubs fall in this category. That is, we automatically follow all hubs created by ourselves.

In terms of moderation of comments for individual hubs, the Comments capsule provides options to do so.

1. jodijoyous profile image59
        jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks AJ, there were all sorts of useful settings in there.

@jodijoyous yes indeed, there are a lot of useful settings in there smile

2. Margaret Schindel profile image96
        Margaret Schindelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi AJ,

I have that option checked but I have yet to see any of the comments on my own hubs included in my email notifications. Just curious - are you seeing comments to your hubs in your email notifications?

Hi Margaret, yes, I've received email notifications for fan mail as well as one of the comments (the only oone) I got on a hub. I've not been actively checking hubs since my lenses transferred from Squidoo because I've been more focused on cleaning up my lenses.

But, to answer your question - yes, I have received email notifications. And at the moment, since I'm "following" this forum post, I have received email notifications for all the posts that have been made on this forum thread as well.

Not sure if there is a bug with this feature since you have not received any notifications. I did come across an old forum post where a hubber was having the same issue in the past. Hopefully, someone who has been here longer will provide their feedback on this.

Cheers! smile

1. Margaret Schindel profile image96

Thanks, Anthony! I do get notifications of fan mail and of forum posts I'm following, but so far I haven't gotten any notifications of the comments I've received. Very strange. Thanks for your quick reply. smile

You're welcome, Margaret! Yeah, that's weird indeed.

It got me curious, so I just randomly checked a few of my hubs for comments. And sure enough there was one hub that had a comment for which I didn't get an email notification. So doesn't look like it's working effectively, or maybe I'm missing something.

What is your option set to: "Auto" or "Always"? Mine was set to "Auto". I changed it to "Always". I'm not sure what the difference is between "Auto" and "Always". Perhaps, someone can shed some light on this.

Anthony, I need to go back and check. I know I had some set to Auto and some set to Always. I'm going to try setting them all to Always, too, and see whether that makes a difference. Thanks for the idea!

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70
              Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not receiving any email for comments on transferred Squid lens, only on new hubs I have made since I became a HubPages member.

Elsie, that might be it. I've been so busy since the transfer trying to rework my imported lenses to optimize them for HubPages and bring them into compliance with HP's rules (as well as writing and editing for Metal Clay Artist Magazine) that I haven't had time to write anything new yet.

3. ajgodinho profile image81

I just wanted to add this here as well...

To check any unapproved comments, you can go to:
        \My Account \Hubs \Comments

In this section, you will also notice that you can change some "global" comment settings.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes. It's in Email Settings

https://hubpages.com/my/profile/email

Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is this it then?
        When a Hub that I am following …
        Hubs you follow
        is commented on
        because if not, I don't see an area for Hubs you've written. . .

This section doesn't seem to have it
        When I …
        get a new Follower           
        receive Fan Mail           
        get a Status Update comment

1. relache profile image72

Instant Emails are what you are trying to change, you want the setting to be "always" so every time a Hub you follow gets commented on, you get emailed.

Thanks relache. So instant emails in which section or in all the sections? And does that mean we need to follow our own hubs when we write them or is it automatic?

1. GypsyOwl profile image71
              GypsyOwlposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paula.
              I don't know how so, I am assuming I will need to follow all of my hubs comments modules (capsules) to receive email notifications.

In the meantime I have this page set as my first stop when I visit HP http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments
              You may already know about that one. In the Hub tab of our account dashboard.

Is there a way to create a feed for a dashboard page?
              Deb

Deb, they have disabled feeds from HP, so not from here.

2. favored profile image62
                favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this link GypsyOwl. It's the first time I saw this page and I have a ton of comments I haven't seen.  I guess I have to go back and change all the settings on each hub.

2. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
          MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paula,
          I have mine set up to get the daily digest rather than the instant email for hub comments.  Each day, I get an email notification with the activities I've requested be listed.  I do get notification of comments on my own hubs in the digest.

Okay good to know. Lots of people have been asking.

1. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
              MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paula,
              On the email notification set up page there is a link "Hubs You Follow".  When I click on that, it shows my hubs as well as other people's.  I'm assuming it is showing the hubs where someone has left a comment and I have responded because not all of my hubs are listed.  (It seems only those are listed.)

2. Paula Atwell profile image67
    Paula Atwellposted 9 years ago

Thanks AJ. I was aware of those settings, but still didn't see anything that was specifically for comments on your own hubs. smile

3. Margaret Schindel profile image96
    Margaret Schindelposted 9 years ago

Another Hubber (Carolan Ross / Cross Creations) just pointed out in a FB group thread that there's a green "Follow" button just above the comments section at the end of our own hubs. I'm planning to start going through my hubs and following them and see whether I start getting notified of comments on them.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

You do not have to follow your own Hubs, that is handled.  Play around with the settings, and you'll find what works for you.

For instance, try setting every single instant option to "always."  That's pretty educational fairly quickly.

Okay, will give this a try. So far people do not seem to be getting emails from comments on transferred hubs. Thanks again. smile

1. CrossCreations profile image83
        CrossCreationsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

By setting every option to 'always' won't that result in an avalanche of emails?
        I do not want that at all, but would like to be notified of comments on my own hub articles.

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70

@relache, I have all my email settings set to always, but I don't get a email when someone leaves a comment on my imported lens from Squidoo only on the hubs I have made since coming to HubPages.

All my lens were set for me to approve is there a way to change that on each hub now?

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Elsie, I haven't found a global setting to be notified automatically when our hubs that were transferred from Squidoo receive comments (I gather that it's different for hubs that were/are created on HubPages). However, what I did is to go into each of my hubs and click on the green Follow button just above the comments section. With my global notifications set to notify me whenever a hub I'm following receives a comment, I am now getting email notifications whenever one of my own hubs receives a comment. Note that in order to receive individual email notifications you need to choose Instant Email for that particular setting, which means you also will get instant email notifications when any other hub you're following gets a comment. So you may want to be more selective in which hub's comments you follow. smile

3. Elsie Hagley profile image70

@relache, I have changed my settings in "Global Comment capsule settings" to: No, "for comments must be approved before they appear".

I hope I get a email when someone comments on them, so I can reply to the comment.
      other wise I won't know without going through all 208 Hubs.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go to your My Account page and click on Comments from the top menu bar. 

On that page, you will see all of your unapproved comments. You can sort from the drop down menu tab for 'approved' or 'unapproved.'  If you are allowing comments without approval, then checking the 'approved' file will show all of the comments, from most recent to oldest. You can also sort by date if you just want to check once a day.

Also, be sure to check the comments under 'spam' because many of those aren't spam at all, and you may want to approve them.

2. relache profile image72

Actually you could just look at your comment dashboard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)