The recipe modules

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    bobtyndallposted 9 years ago

Hi

The recipe module is great. However, why can we only have one of each capsule for a recipe. Specifically the ingredients and instructions capsules. A lot of recipes have 2 or more categories within a recipe with individual ingredients and instructions. It would make the recipe much more readable if we could add more than one capsule per recipe if needed.

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Although you can't add more recipe modules, you can effectively replicate them with text modules. I did this on my Easy Vegan Bacon Fake Out Recipes hub, which contains three separate recipes, and it worked out well.

1. PhDancer profile image68
        PhDancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this tip! I wanted to include all my baking for diabetics recipes in one hub, but then discovered I couldn't add more recipe capsules, so you can imagine my grumpiness when today's hub of the day is a hub with multiple recipes! I will use your advice in future to group together similar recipes.

Glad I could help!

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We have had this request in the past and will consider it when making any changes to the existing recipe capsules.
      Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i also used up the recipe module and add in text module for additional instructions complete with photos

2. PhDancer profile image68
    PhDancerposted 9 years ago

Hi, just another detail; I've got a hub now that has text capsules imitating recipe ones to have a second recipe section,  however the style can't be completely replicated as it is not possible to align capsules left and have them sit to the left of another capsule. So with text capsules, you can't have the method and ingredients sitting side by side as in a recipe capsule. It's not a huge deal, but it means if you start with a recipe capsule and then have to add the second recipe part using a text capsule, they won't be formatted the same,  so you're better off using only text capsules if combining multiple recipes in a hub and wanting consistent layout. The same thing is slightly annoying with pictures and polls - you can only move them to the right of text not left. It's fine most of the time but means it is impossible to have a poll sit next to a picture or two small pictures side by side. Just thought I'd point this out - if capsules could be moved to the left of other capsules,  it would be possible to completely recreate recipe capsules using  text and just have much more control over layout.

You can align text left, and use a colored background, to solve the readability problem. Or am I missing what you're saying?

Take a look at my Easy Vegan Bacon Fake Out Recipes, where I have three separate recipes: one using the recipe modules, and two using text modules.

1. Lionrhod profile image78
        Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While we're on the subject of the recipe modules: a potential bug and a request.

I tried using the recipe module and discovered that after adding 6 instructions I could no longer reach the button to "add another." Nor would the page allow me to scroll down.

Also, is it possible to get a checkbox or something to say, "This is not a food recipe"? So that when using that capsule for something other than food (ex incense) we're not constantly nagged to include the ratings capsule.

2. PhDancer profile image68
        PhDancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I had another go and was able to get the second recipe looking the same. But I did it by aligning the second capsule right, which got it to inset to the right of the method one. What I was referring to is how in editing mode capsules have arrows at the top and the options are move up, move down or move right but not move left. It works out with text if you move the correct one right, but I've tried to get photos to go side by side before and they just end up both aligned right and small with blank space on the left. Anyway my problem is fixed, thank you!  I'm just wondering why not have a move left arrow too cause it seems to me that would make things more versatile.

3. micko27 profile image67
    micko27posted 9 years ago

I like this idea. Also, maybe it will be a lot nicer to make it differ somehow. For example have some nice border. Or maybe adding small graphics for each ingredients like:

1 teaspoon - [teaspoon img]
    1 cup - [cup img]
    etc...

Then you could add option to add skill requirements for recipe you are making - easy, moderate, hard or similar...

actually, I think that recipes should get something like separate category on website so it can be browsed different way and by time to become a real database of recipes

4. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

Can someone please clarify the question about the amount of instructions. I have the same problem that after 6 you cannot add any more. So if you have a recipes with more instruction you have to combine them in one step to fit the whole recipe.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Hendrika I just checked in a recipe instructions capsule and was able to add many steps (I stopped testing after 17).

You might want to try clearing your browser cache, seeing if there is an upgrade for your browser, and restarting your computer.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems

If the issue still persists, let us know the Hub title and/or URL via an email to team at hubpages dot com.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)