The Latest Panda Update Will Be Good For You

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. stuff4kids profile image61
    stuff4kidsposted 9 years ago

I don't get involved much in the forums, but I have been following with interest the ground-hog day discussions about the latest Panda update at Google.

I think we'll find that, after a brief period in which everything re-jigs to the new tune, this update (much like the last one) will be good for most Hubbers and lead to a significant boost in traffic once it settles down. Really. I do think that Google is genuinely trying to fine-tune the algorithms in order that well-written, accurate, trustworthy, entertaining, high-quality content rises to the top. Nothing else makes any sense for a search engine to aim for.

The current ups and downs (not everyone is experiencing a fall in traffic, afterall) are part of the system recalibrating. Once it has done that, rich, well-crafted content will benefit.

Ride it out and wait for the good times to roll. They will.    smile

1. alexadry profile image95
      alexadryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I really hope so! Some updates in the past caused decreased traffic that lasted about 6-8 months, some others just a few days, and some several weeks.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I liked that groundhog day reference. big_smile

For me; so far, so good. I, for one, am waiting until the end of the week before deciding whether to break out the map to the nearest cliff.

3. TDowling profile image60
      TDowlingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How can a software update named Panda be anything but benign?
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11846105.jpg

Peace,
      -TDowling

4. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right about that, and I've been thinking the same; in between panicking a little. It looks like articles are shuffling in the SERPs and haven't settled yet. This has happened before, people have lost traffic for a time and then recuperated. I'm watching my traffic; after a sharp decline, my stats show a slight rise. Not counting my chickens before they're hatched, just watching what happens. I don't think we'll know very much until the end of the week. Or longer.

1. ologsinquito profile image82
        ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nate, I do think it's too early to tell exactly what is happening. Last weekend was most atypical with the site being buggy, and even down for a stretch. It was very slow, and few people have the patience to wait it out. It was also a beautiful fall day in many parts of the country. It might be very dire, or it might not be. Readers will still find good, original content.

1. NateB11 profile image87
          NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're right about that, ologsinquito. A lot of things happening all at once, and it hasn't been that long.

5. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My Google Analytics shows the drop in my traffic, and I had quite a few hubs on page 1 in Google. That also changed but over time. I still hope for the best. The answer for me is to work on my keywords and update hubs. We must remain positive!

6. profile image0
      swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like to see positive motivation! smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Both of you have excellent, well-written, informative hubs. 
    I think we'll know more by the end of this week.  The update apparently has added more signals to identify low quality content.  According to a post from someone who works at Google UK, he said:
    Based on user (and webmaster!) feedback, we’ve been able to discover a few more signals to help Panda identify low-quality content more precisely. This results in a greater diversity of high-quality small- and medium-sized sites ranking higher, which is nice.

Depending on the locale, around 3-5% of queries are affected.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

HubPages appears to have lost 46% of its SEO visibility in this latest update of Panda.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125361

1. stuff4kids profile image61
      stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And what do you suppose that statistic, if it is accurate, means? One has to be very careful in interpreting stats.

It could perfectly well mean that Google is able more effectively to filter out from SEO visibility many of the poor quality hubs that are still published here. It could equally mean that the remaining 54% includes hubs that are higher ranked than before. In other words, it could be good news for the site as a whole over time.

Of course, it might not mean that. But the point is, that figure on its own - which is being bandied about a lot at the moment with no context or explanation - is simply meaningless.

smile

4. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Having just moved here, I hope you're correct. I'm sort of whiney because over at Squidoo there was no focus on staying to a particular subject. And if there had been, wouldn't I just be better off working on my blogs?

Now Google wants us to be experts. *Sigh* While I might be one, it'll take a while to create a body of work to reflect that, as I've spent several years working on a novel, updating my nonfiction book and teaching privately rather than writing articles

It'd be awesome if my computer hadn't melted down and I had a backlog of articles that I could re-publish from ten years ago.

But yes, I hope Panda 4.1 will ultimately be helpful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)