What is your position regarding genetic engineering to improve

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11849411.jpg
    the physical and intellectual quality of humankind, eliminating diseases and related defects?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Probably not the wise thing to do.  Every time we mess with nature we screw up.

Plus, there is the question of what "improve" is - do we "improve" our intellect by making idiot-savants?  Our physique by making large breasted women?  Defects by eliminating all with brown eyes?  I don't think we're NEAR smart enough to answer these questions.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ease pain and suffering. Sure. Gene therapy anyone?

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gene therapy and diagnosis will be commonplace in future medical technologies.   With such gene therapy, diseases, particularly degenerative diseases will be reduced.   Genetic maladies such as mental retardation could be eliminated altogether.   This will be a magnificent thing indeed!

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes to all of the above, But, (isn't there always a but?), we have to face the reality of unintended consequences and the reality that we don't know what we don't know.

What if in our zeal to modify genes to "cure" what we know are problems, the sequence leads to mutations that we can not foresee?

What if in fixing the "degenerative"  genes we start the ball rolling to  uncontrollable, (and unforeseeable), gene mutations/modifications that are worse than the cure?

Science has brought us to the point of playing "God," but do we really know enough to assume that role?

Understanding that we stand on a threshold of human achievement, the thought of what we don't know is as scary to me as the thought of what we are capable of doing.

Just sayin'

GA

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The day we can inject a gene to save a child a slow, harrowing death such as from cystic fibrosis will be a day to celebrate.

Combine your response with that of Wilderness, and we have the start of an intelligent and interesting conversation.

GA

3. janesix profile image58
    janesixposted 9 years ago

We shouldn't mess with things we don't understand.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Once we did not understand the germ theory of disease, now we do.  The same will be true for genetic diseases in the future. Having watched a child die of a painful congenital disease, I hope that future arrives soon. That will one one more horror for the human race to put behind us like routine death during childbirth, the plague, and gas gangrene.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There will be THOSE who are against any form of progress and growth because in their "belief" , one should not go beyond certain parameters; however, these are the people who will be left behind.  The future belongs to those who break the rules, going beyond established parameters and paradigm to establish new ways of doing and seeing things.  After all, we all CO-CREATORS with the ability to create a new, more humane world.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We do not have the ability now.  Only the possibility of the ability in the future, and not within the lifetime of anyone alive today.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

From a personal. and admittedly selfish perspective, I can understand the compassion of your response. I have endured similar circumstances in my life. From a personal perspective, I am with you 100%. But, even in our quest for cures and personal salvations, can we honestly ignore the potential problems of our meddling with nature?

If our genes are as intrinsically entwined as we seem to understand they are, should we proceed. Should we tweak one  to accomplish "A" without fully understanding that there is a corollary affect on "B"?

I understand compassion and hope, but I think Wilderness nailed it. We are over our heads in this arena.

GA

1. profile image0

Low self esteem.

That must be one of those "deep" thoughts, because I don't understand what you mean.

GA

1. profile image0

You assume "we" are in over our heads. Perhaps because you don't understand it you assume no one understands it. Some understand their personal limitations are not the limitations of others.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We used to be in over our heads with bacteria and we are still struggling with viruses.  But the answer is not improve medicine not to allow people to suffer and die.

I single locus spontaneous mutation is not part of a person's identity.  It is a disease that happens to be genetic but is other no different to a disease that is bacterial, prior, virus or toxin.

We already know that exact gene that is taking people with cystic fibrosis, with breast cancer, with many genetic disease.  I am boggled that you would just consign those people to horrible deaths because they go a mutations and so they... what, their 'true self' is a dead person and they should just lie down and die?

They are not their disease. They are just the person suffering from it.  There are many good people I have known who had simple genetic diseases that will soon be curable and I celebrate that.

What honestly to you expect the down side to be? People are already being experimentally cured with gene therapy and they have not turned into a 'mutants' and destroyed New York with their heat ray vision yet.  they just got better and went back to their families.

Wow! You and Rad Man really missed the point I was making.  I was not saying genetic engineering was wrong. I was not saying we should not fix damaged genes that we have the capabilities to fix. I was not saying we should step back from it in awe and fear.

I was saying that the "big picture" concept of genetic engineering is an ocean we are only beginning to fathom. I do not think that our ability to map our genomes means we also have the understanding of possible consequences we don't even know that we don't know about.

You know, sort of like the old, "If a butterfly flaps its wings... etc." theory.

GA

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If we are talking about choosing your kid's eye color or trying to make some "super-man", sure--that is new ground and an ethical minefield.  But curing disease, well, that's a good thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)