Does it bother you to see an actor play more than one character?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 9 years ago

Grace from "Beyond the Trailer" said that it's distracting for her to see an actor play an iconic character in a TV show/movie, and then see them play another character in a different film/tv show/etc.  Does this happen to you too?  When you watch Indiana Jones, does your mind go like, "Hey why the hell is Han Solo out there with a whip?"  Or when you watch "Rambo" is your mind like, "why the hell is rocky balboa out there with a gun shooting people?"  Does this happen to you?   It's never happened to me, but it obviously does to her, so I'm curious to see how common this is.

1. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's never happened to me although I think Leonard Nimoy suffered from always being associated with Mr Spock.

But on a slightly different topic I remember Dennis Franz playing a bad cop for a few episodes in Hill Street Blues. The cop shot himself in a siege. Then in a later season Dennis returned as, not only a good cop, but a leading character.

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe Grace can not separate fantasy from reality!

In my many years I have actually met people who really thought Christopher Reeve was superman, I even had a conversation with someone once that concluded with he line "yes but its OK for Americans because they have superman to look after them." At first I thought they were joking but after studying their body language I realised he actually believed it.

When I was younger I watched many John Wayne films (my father was a fan) and seem to remember that he acted every single character the same way, I never found it confusing or less entertaining but then I think it was more about the man than the part he was playing.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well to be fair, she was mostly referring to actors that have played the same character for years either on a tv show and/or movie franchises, and how hard it becomes to imagine them playing something else after you get used to them playing that character.

Plus, she is a film critic online, who I think she said once that she does have a degree in film too.  Although I'm with you though.  I may not have the fancy degree she has when it comes to movies, but I never usually have that kind of problem, even if that actor has been playing one character for years.  I think you bring up a good point with John Wayne though, as I think you took the words right out of my mouth there. 

Plus, it's like psychekinner said.  Actors are meant to play different people.  You can't expect them to play the same damn character throughout their entire career because then they run the risk of being typed cast as that character for life.  Hell, Christopher Reeves and Mark Hamill are perfect examples of two actors that couldn't get away from always being typed cast as the iconic characters they once played.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, because they are actors.

1. darrensurrey profile image61
        darrensurreyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Never thought about it before but don't see the problem.

2. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, it is like doing one task ALL the uhhum time, one stagnates and does not grow!

4. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, an actor should play different characters.  That is part of his growth as an actor.  Also playing different characters add longetivity to his/her career.   Actors who are typecasted and/or let themselves be typecasted became old news in the new Hollywood.   The audience is smarter and more sophisticated nowadays and will tire of an actor who is typecasted.    Also if an actor wants to grow his/her brand, it is best not to be typecast as being typecast can signal a metaphoric grave for him/her and his/her career will have a decline.

2. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

It doesn't bother me unless the person acts the same way in all their movies or TV shows, despite having a different costume or makeup. I've watched some shows where I haven't recognized the actor or actress until half way through the show, or even later. In a few cases someone has had to point out to me that a certain actor was playing a part in a show that I watched because I never recognized them! I admire the actor's abilities in these cases.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

They are actors, they are meant to play different characters.  It normally only takes me a few seconds to adjust.

4. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I'll tell you what really bothers me... when an actor plays his own twin. That's got to stop.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

In general, it does bother me a bit.  You know what gets to me a little? When an actor that I really like plays a number of noble and brave and good characters, and then a bad guy. I had a hard time with Denzel Washington in Training Day, and with Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition.  Both amazing actors, but I want to always cheer for their characters and when they're bad guys, that's tough to do. smile

2. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

Yes it does bother me,especially if they have the same look and played,essentially, the same character type.

3. TreasuresBrenda profile image78
      TreasuresBrendaposted 9 years ago

It definitely happens to me with some actors.  Tom Cruise? Well in whatever movie he is in I have a hard time getting past the fact that he is Tom Cruise.  George Clooney also often seems like, well, George Clooney.  However, Johnny Depp usually manages to fool me -- meaning when I see a movie with him in it I don't spend much time thinking, hey that's Johnny Depp...despite the fact that he is one of my favorite actors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)