Ads Disabled on One of My Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. William F. Torpey profile image70
    William F. Torpeyposted 9 years ago

Ads on my hub titled "Alex Kelly Rape Case: Talk About Rushing to Judgment! " have been disabled by a moderator. While I do not really care about making money on ads (I'm not even sure what ads I had on the hub) I'm puzzled about this action by HubPages because there remain two ads on my hub (I read the FAQ section on "Why were ads on my hub disabled," but it doesn't explain why I still see ads on my hub.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rape is a prohibited subject so it makes sense that the ads were disabled, but not why you can still see ads.   I don't have an answer and I suggest this is something you need to email the team about - or post it in the technical section where staff are more likely to see it.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/restricted-topics        The title itself shows that the hub is about violence.    The ads are those placed by Google.

William F. Torpeyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean that Google can make money from our hubs, but we can't?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11833291.gif

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I just checked out your hub William and can't understand why ads would be disabled. It is an old hub, have you edited it recently. The most graphic thing on the hub is the Amazon Ad "The Truth About Rape". I had ads disabled on one of my hubs due to the original URL don't.aiming the word "orgy" even though I changed the title, and because it contained an Amazon ad with the same word. Another was passed by the automatic moderator, but ads disabled after a human moderator reviewed it. It contains a photo of a woman in a thong with a rather large posterior...not nudity, but maybe someone complained. Anyway, I am at a loss to really explain why. Maybe email HP staff and ask.

Thank you, Jodah.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I looked at the hub and see no ads.  You may have been looking at a cached copy on your computer that was stored before the ads were removed.

5. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I only see two Amazon ads on the hub, which you would have inserted yourself.

6. William F. Torpey profile image70

That's what I'm talking about  -- the Amazon ads!

Here's what the warning says: "The content of this Hub has been reviewed by a moderator and it was determined not to be suitable for advertising."

The warning clearly states that ads are not "suitable." So why are there ads on my hub?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The warning refers to HubPages' ad partners' ads, and not Amazon or Ebay ads, which you insert yourself.

7. William F. Torpey profile image70

I never asked HubPages to put their ads on my hubs!

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91

You can turn ads off if you don't want them. You'll find the option in edit mode on your hubs ('Hub Tool') under 'Display Options'. Aren't you earning with Adsense or the HubPages Ad Program?

8. William F. Torpey profile image70

Yes, I'm earning some pennies on my Adsense ads, but virtually nothing on the Amazon ads although I have them on every hub. I have no objection to having ads on my hubs because I think they add a measure of credibility to the site. My problem is that HubPages says on one hand my hub is not suitable for ads, but nevertheless ads are put on my hub (That doesn't make sense to me!) Whether its Adsense or Amazon, it's advertising for profit (for them if not for me.)

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If adsense ads are disabled they do not appear at all.  You may be looking at a cached version from before ads were disabled.

If you mean non-adsense ads remain that is because this is an adsense rule. They are disabling adense to stop hubpages losing adsense privileges site-wide, which has happened.

I guess that's the problem, psycheskinner: HubPages says "ads" are not suitable where they should have said "Adsense ads are not suitable."

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91

The warning doesn't refer to the Amazon ads, because Amazon doesn't have the same rules as Google. You've put those on your hub yourself, and you can take them off again if you don't want them there.

This is what happens when HubPages' advertising Partners' ads are disabled, as explained by Jason Menayan when he was on HubPages' staff:

"We turn off ads on topics Google has told us they consider sensitive and that they do not want ads showing on. Considering they are our main advertising partner, we must respect their rules. Note that when we shut off ads on a Hub, we do so on our share of impressions, too, not just the author's." http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/98806#post2113267

9. misterhollywood profile image93
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

I had this happen on a hub (Straight Man Tricked By A Tranny on a Hookup). They said because it was sexual in nature it had to be disabled. I disagreed but they run the site smile

1. Len Cannon profile image86
      Len Cannonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I can't imagine why that one didn't turn out for you.

1. misterhollywood profile image93
        misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha Len -whatever

10. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

This happened on my article on homelessness that literally appears in a study unit for children eleven to thirteen.  I blame Google.  HP has no control over what Google Adsense considers adult.  You can talk about the Holocaust, but you can't mention that Americans throw out an awful lot of lgbt teens.  I am just happy HP lets us post such material even if the ads have to be shut off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)