Ignorance Is Still Rampant In The U.S. Check This Out!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I was serfing the web and ran across a site that turned my stomach, I cannot believe that people are still so ignorant and even though I am a Christian they call themselves Christians. Why are we still talking about segragation in 2009? Do so many people not get the fact, there is not a pure white race!!! Can we have a little history here? I understand freedom of speech but we live in a Country that is a melting pot of people and the color of a person's skin does not have anything to do how things are handled. This link makes my blood boil and I am not trying to give them any credit as they do not deserve any, I am merely trying to let the World know that ignorance is still rampant and if anyone dares to stand up and comment on there link I applaud you!!! http://www.aryan-nations.org/

1. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Arryan Nations is a Prison Gang also,and they do have their own beliefs in God..

AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. AEvans profile image71

I am looking for understanding not back-lashing I have always been curious about why? So if they can post there beliefs I can post my opinions I am trying to understand there thoughts,isn't that what makes the World go round? smile

1. flread45 profile image59
          flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are always going to be those who are intolerant and bigots.  Some people just are that way.  It behooves the rational,enlightened portion of humanity to speak out against this and show that minority that their words will never be accepted by the majority of humanity.

That's why I'll accept any comment on my posts, hubs, etc.  If it's ignorant that just gives me an opportunity to tear that position apart.  It won't change the minds of those who are intolerant but for those of us who may not be tolerant but at least open-minded it may make a difference, so I do it for them.

3. Capable Woman profile image59
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Who uses hyphens in their URL's?! Ignorant indeed!

wink

2. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

When I was 10 years old the KKK marched through our town.  They threw candy out to the kids while carrying flags and signs. I scraped up a handful of candy from the sidewalk.
    One of them handed me a pamphlet.
    I took it home and handed it to my dad.
    My dad read a little of it....crumpled it up and tossed it in the trash can. "It was filled with hate for Jews, Catholics and colored folks" He told me.
    That day, dad and I had a good talk about the idiots of the world.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have a very good father, Tom.

2. AEvans profile image71

I was appalled and ashamed of them I was beside myself and to think a preacher started that mess in 1974 talk about evil and dark, no wonder so many do not want to believe in Christianity it takes people just like them to push others away. I wonder how many politicians are involved maybe we should uncover them? smile

1. Tom Cornett profile image80
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AEvans...it is like a christian cult of hatred...totally twisted and based on manipulated lies.

3. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gotta give a shouout to your Dad Tom ! Unfortunately hate has been around since the beginning of time too . But I would like to think most people are Intelligent enough not to fall for the line of crap these guys are trying to promote !

3. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

It is unfortunate that people can't release their frustrations constructively and in healthy manners but got to take it out on others. hmm They are a tiresome lot, AE sad I agree.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Ignorance by choice. The KKK are like many crazy groups, they're ranks are people full of hate, and this is their way of justifying it.
    Flat world thinking from one deranged mind to another... a virus for haters everywhere.

It is so repulsive, I honestly wonder how many are educated and how many are completely brainwashed? Here is what gets me Jesus since they are Christian was a Jew and his skin was of bronze, so if everyone presumably came from the middle east wouldn't that make everyone tinted? Maybe I should have put this in the religion forum.smile

2. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The average KKK member has a 5th grade education.  It takes a weak mind to be shaped primarily by fear.

5. TheMoneyGuy profile image68
    TheMoneyGuyposted 14 years ago

I just took a read of the link you posted.  It was very enlightening, particularly how they use the current financial crisis to solidify their base.

The two video exerpts are worth a look, with a critical eye.  Our elected officials are in fact giving them the fodder they use for recruitment.

I have often suspected that my children would not know of Racism if it wasn't for the TV and School.  I believe that you get what you pay for and someone is paying for racism.

It is a cheap and easy way to make sure we never come together and realize the collective screwing we are all taking.

I found this whole exercise academically stimulating and thank you Aevans for bringing it to light.

TMG

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I didn't look at the site because I'm not giving them "air time" in my world.  I have a pretty good idea of the kind of stuff they believe.

Nightline had a program on with White Supremacists, and I don't think they had a sixth-grade education.  They were just goons.  Maybe they have an educated but demented leader, but I think a lot of them grow up being told that crap - and they're too stupid to think things out for themselves.

7. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Education is the key to it, however, one can teach the subject, but one cannot make the student understand and accept it.  Ignorance will always be out there in the world.  Racism and these types of supremist groups will always exist to feed off of ignorance.

8. ecoggins profile image89
    ecogginsposted 14 years ago

I have never understood racism. It truly boogles my mind. How anyone can hate another person because of the color of their skin is mystifying. Before the Civil War, the plantation owners in the South supposedly wanted to retain slavery as no cost labor to harvest their crops. It was supposedly an economic issue. Well then what is the excuse now? Some white supremists say colored people should leave because it was the white plantation owners who built this country. Hah! It was their slaves who built it.  What is needed is a fundamental change of heart. I guess that can happen with education. But how do you teach someone who is already convinced they live by the truth?

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to get 'em while they are young, ecoggins. By the time they are 10 years old, it's too late.

But then, we would need to challenge the notion that parents have a God-given right to fill their kids' head with whatever hogwash they choose.

And no politician is going to take on THAT particular shibboleth ...

Jenny

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jenny, it is not even about education, you can be un-educated yet smart enough not to be a racist. These people choose the belief system that supports their hate... inherited from home.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it brings in more problems than it solves MyGoddess smile

Who is going to decide which kids stay with parents and which not? We have more than enough abuse in this area already...

9. mz_247_njinfo profile image60
    mz_247_njinfoposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately, Racism is a learned concept that plays on the fears of people. I have found that it is more a fear of the unknown. Many people who fear different races have not interacted with someone outside of their own race. If you are born in a community that constantly tell you that different races are inferior or bad, you grow up believing it, especially when you have not personally interacted with anyone of a different race.

However, When you meet someone of a different race and interact with them, you see that what you were taught was wrong. At that point, we can only hope their perception or view of races change. In any event, after reading the response, I feel hopeful about race relations in America.

10. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

You can't root them all out, no matter what you did.  I had my own experiences with one of my articles.  I was all of sudden getting a lot of traffic from a racist website (cannot post the name as it is very offensive)  I couldn't see what was said about it but I have a good idea how much they hated what I said.  I recieve tons of comments that were less than polite.

The good news is that websites and thinking like this are becoming the fringe elements of society.  While America will always have racial problems they are moving away from solely being based on skin color and are more focused on cultural differences and national identity.  I guess that is progress.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes feel that the net changes ignorant views over time, so maybe exposure is going to kill off the KKK. That would be nice.

11. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Oh, the good ol' Triple K. I love those guys. They crack me up with their big ol' hooded gown thingies. He he he. They look like friggin' ghosts in that piece of shit garment. No kidding.

12. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

When I was 10 years old, I remember being the Lone Ranger in the Drummond, Montana barbershop one evening, taking a stand against racial prejudice with three adult men favoring same and trying to beat my position down (unsuccessfully).  Not that they paid much attention to the kid, of course, and my own Dad, although pro-Native American (Indians back then) was staunchly anti-black.

HOWEVER, many years later, one of his favorite nieces showed up to visit (I was grown and gone, heard about this later) WITH her black husband and their baby.  Dad took a long look at the infant and said,

"Well...I guess this family has done been integrated!"  And he SMILED. 

Ya never know.

13. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

If you write about prison gangs,street gangs or any gangs,beware!!You are going to get feed back,and maybe more if you delve too far into their buisness practices.

14. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I'm not going to actually read the website, as someone else said, i don't want to give them the satisfaction. But I get the idea. Makes me think of the BNP here in the UK. They are very much the white supremacists and send out anti-semitic and racial messages. What's worse is that the are a political party and in the recession have actually started winning seats. These people are being given positions of power because people are actually voting for them! The government should be ashamed of themselves that people are so disillusioned that they'd rather vote for these racist thugs.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

More reasons not to go to Britain . Not to mention suvaillence cameras are everywhere !

2. TheMoneyGuy profile image68
      TheMoneyGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then one will be at a disadvantage, Master Sun says a general who remains ingorant of his enemies motives, remains ignorant of the path to victory.  Without understanding, one cannot hope to know why they are winning votes in elections.

Which is exactly why one should read their site.  If one just happened upon it without knowledge or its origins, one could find the message very powerful.  Without knowing how the message is used, how can one hope to counteract it.

TMG

15. Make  Money profile image65
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

In the 1920s the KKK burnt a cross on my grandfather's front lawn when my dad was 15.  This was in southern Ontario.  I guess they knew where the Catholic families lived.  The KKK was big in the 1920s and until their grand master was convicted of this really disgusting crime.

I don't imagine these morons realize that the people of Iran are also Aryan. lol

1. ledefensetech profile image68

So are Indians and some Pakistani and some Syrians I think, too.  Mitanni was an Aryan kingdom around the same place as Syria/Iraq is today.

1. Make  Money profile image65
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've read a few articles that said the Aryan people originated in Scythia and Khazaria, north of the Caucasian Mountains between and north of the Black and Caspian Seas which is now in the west part of Kazakhstan and southern Russia.  Some migrated east or south while others migrated north west to what is now Germany.

So I guess Iranians, Indians, Pakistanis, Syrians and Iraqis are okay with the neo-nazis.  What do you think? lol

The Aryans as a people are all very um...dedicated to the ideal of a perfect human.  India with their caste system, Persia, while not as rigid, had definite ideas about social class.  Germans had their "supermen" of course, so there is a strain of that running through their worldview.  It was the Aryan migration which started diffusing the idea of a "sky-god" as opposed to an "earth-mother" throughout Europe.  Look at Greek mythology for an interesting take on how successive peoples religious beliefs were incorporated into the mythology of the conquered.

1. Make  Money profile image65
            Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of the so called philosophically enlightened writers of the late Renaissance came from Germany and some from northern France too, going backwards from the idea of a Christian God.  Have you ever compared the looks of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Hitler?  Ahmadinejad combs his hair to the other side but they do look similar.  I don't see neo-nazis that often but the next time I do, do you think I should bring that up? lol

Germany, I've come to think, serves as a warning to us all.  They had art, culture and civilization to spare, yet they also had a seed of darkness that sprouted.  One that birthed the horror known as the Holocaust.  In that respect it's not surprising that Ahmadinejad uses the same tactics as Hitler.  He holds power in much the same way Hitler did and espouses many of the same beliefs.  It just goes to show that there is a fine line between civilization and barbarism and barbarians are always hammering at the gates.

16. Make  Money profile image65
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

You know ledefensetech, the English are originally Germanic people as well.  So the roots of the people that control the US, England and quite a few other countries stems from Germanic origin.

Sure but it doesn't matter.  It didn't stop the Germans from making war on the English, did it?  Or from Germany taking Norway in the Big 2.  Race, often times, is what we make of it.  It can divide us or we can pay no attention to it.  I subscribe to the second view.  People should be judged by their actions, not by what they look like.  Some people are too ignorant to be that enlightened though.  We've always had bigots and always will.  It's crazy to think that you can ever stamp that stuff out.  The best you can do is make sure you're not a bigot and raise your kids not to be bigots either.

17. fishmox profile image61
    fishmoxposted 14 years ago

down with racism in the US, eh ?
    yeah, right.
    talk is easy and cheap.
    lemme tell you guys something.
    i haven't gone deep enough South, but have been to some parts a non-white would probably not go to in the 60's, like Tidewater, Virginia and points in West Virginia, and I have YET to be discriminated against OPENLY and OBVIOUSLY.
    on the other hand my wife and I went and lived in this little corner of New York state.
    Yeah, New York of the liberals, of the Union during the Civil War.

As we were wont to do, we looked for a home church.
    Baptist, of course, preferably King James (not King James ONLY), solemn music, no drums, no bands, so we went from town to town almost every Sunday and those folks took one look at my wife who looked Korean and seldom did we find a church where members came and greeted us and welcomed us, from the time we came in to the time we stepped out.

yeah, racism is dying.

we like singing the shape-notes, and like attending shapenotes conventions, you know, sacred harp singing.  that kind of singing brings us to feel like we were in the Appalachians, among hillbillies and bluegrass people.

So we get invited by referral of a friend by these Mennonites in Rochester.
    All white as white, I tells ya.
    We stuck out like sore thumbs.
    Me looking Hispanic, or American Indian, or Pakistani, or Indian, depends on who's looking, my wife looking Korean.
    My wife, she's just a country lass, and trusts anyone who even as much as hints he/she is Christian.
    So she heads straight to the Soprano group, all ladies, all properly white, sits herself smack in the middle which is the only vacant place.
    Singing started right away, so my eyes were on the hymn book and three songs later I look up towards where my wife was and there she was all alone, rows of chair vacated left and right of her, not one of the properly Christian non-discriminating ladies bothered to introduce herself or my wife to anybody. 
    I got up, took my wife in my arm, and walked out.
    They sent us another invitation for the next convention in the same area and I sent it back with a note, no thanks, I love my wife.  Let them go figure.

Racism dying, eh ?

Heck, take a look at prisons and tell me racism is on the way out the door.
    You ain't gon' survive prison if you ain' white, black, or latino.
    Asians have to take sides with either of these races, or they get arsed, if you know what I mean.

Nah, they're just for prison, you say ?

Hey, take a look at most workplaces, man.
    Mr and Miss African-American tends to congregate with who ?  Just about anybody ?  What, you all born yesterday ?
    And Mr and Miss White ?  Yeah, you get the "warm" smile and the polite few sentences, but most of the time white gravitate to white, black gravitate to black, si senores prefer the company of other si senores, and the same goes with Asians.

At least those Aryans, if I meet them on the street, I know where to go, and that is - away from them.
    It is the hidden racist that to me is more dangerous, and disappointing.
    Like they say, the guy who'll prolly kill ya is the guy who smacks you on the back and hugs you.

18. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Stuff like the KKK really gets me, I see no good in those things.  I guess others have beliefs about race, but doing things like that are wrong by all means.  I think if someone hates others, they need to find help.  There is no point in being that way.  I mean, why set your self up to hate someone, you are only damaging yourself by getting yourself all worked up and saying mean things. 

I still hear stories of the KKK and I thought I was finished hearing it, but it still goes on.  I do not know if they actually do anything or if they just advertise it, but I guess it is still going on in some places.

19. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Racist BS and stupiditiy is still going on in ALL places.

1. fishmox profile image61
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will shuto to that, sensei.

20. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I think sometimes people can get offended too easily when someone asks them a question about their race.  I know that it is the ones who are racist that can cause this to happen.  Some people who are not racist also are accused of it when they are not.  All of this leads to other things when people are only asking a simple question too.  It starts stuff up sometimes I think.  If people didn't ask questions, they would not know someones race and may walk away thinking otherwise.  I do not see any problem when someone asks me.  I tell them, I am happy to.  I do not get upset if someone asks me at all.  I guess I would if I knew their intention was to discriminate though.  So it seems the ones who ask get the cold shoulder as much as the ones being asked.

21. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I dont feel offended if someone asks me about my race, why would I?  I am native to New Zealand ,just like the Kiwi n hobbits n things smile Native as "Maori" New Zealander

Also AEvans it is shocking , but its not new ,these hate sites, are not new.

What shocked me was when I moved here ,South Carolina USA this year thats 2009 , a landlord making this comment said "Looks those nigger kids ,been throwing stones again" then he casually added , if ya need anything just call me , and he walked on home.

I was part of a group of four people and said is it just me or didnt anyone hear that racist comment!!, hubby said drop it , other couple said nothing , so nothing was the order of the day and night and probably tomorrow.......damn if that was back home ,it would be all over the newspapers??
    Apparently this is the good ole south , an if ya dont like it ....ra de ra ra... lol grrr...

It's an age old question.  Can you force people to not be ignorant?  I rather think the answer is no, the best way to combat that type of thing is to give it no attention whatsoever.

22. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Sometimes ignorance is bliss works
    Other times exposure is better

Personally I'd rather know than not.  You can't plan when you don't know what's going on.  What I was talking about was action.  You know, for example, that your landlord is racist.  So you can and should take that into account when dealing with him.  You ignore him when it comes to action.  When he tries to sound you out or get you to agree with him, that's when you divert him.  It's a very Tao way of dealing with the world and it's kind of hard to see how it works unless you actually do it.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Ive done it (diverted him)and I know it works , lol , I grew up doing it , but still the thing that bothers me was and is the casual manner he can express himself ,yet if I were to perhaps express myself as openly ,then I would be labelled the troublemaker??.....its like certain attitudes are still protected or allowed within an invisible cultural circle.

And how convenient for others  to say ,well thats the South you know, then go off onto another topic ....but I guess it has changed in some circles , and I am in the cradle of the civil war -just Im a gonna shut-up and learn lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)