Took a break

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Tammy Cramblett profile image67
    Tammy Cramblettposted 9 years ago

I took the last seven days off from writing hubs. I had gotten pretty discouraged with lack of page views and the constant rejection from AdSense. I signed in today and decided to try one last time with AdSense and got approved in less than hour! I really like writing here but have had a bad year this year with writing sites. I wrote and edited for the same site for three years and was devastated when the site closed in May. I lost my income and simply cannot afford the luxury of writing for free. Maybe now things will start looking up slowly. I guess the point to this post is for anyone else that might be feeling discouraged to not give up. I am not putting all of my eggs in one basket anymore either. I write for two other sites as well.

1. Lady Lorelei profile image83
      Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is great news. Someone else had also mentioned that theirs had now gone through too. Maybe Google has now made the squidoo - hubpages connection.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see things are looking up for you, and congratulations on getting approved by Adsense!

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

To be even safer, you should start your own site(s) too.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a great pity that HubPages doesn't emphasise the need for "time on site" as well as number of Hubs.  Experience has shown that you will NOT get approved for Adsense until you have at least 15 Hubs AND the oldest one is at least a month old.

If someone had told you that, you'd have saved yourself the frustration of applying too early!   

My only advice would be, if you are serious about creating an income online, writing on revenue-sharing sites is one of the LEAST profitable things you can do.  It was a great way to make money a few years ago, but now the pay per hour is pitiful.   

Also, as you've seen, there is always the risk that the site will close down.   Many of them have already done so, and all the remaining sites are earning far less than they were a year ago.   The fact that HubPages has recently made new investments is an encouraging sign, but I have little faith in the longevity of any of the other writing sites.

It is a learning curve to start your own site, and it needs to be on ONE topic which you can write a lot about.  It's also a learning curve - and frustrating - to develop a career as a freelance writer on places like Constant-Content, Elance and Odesk, but ultimately the return on both those options is very much higher and far more secure.

5. Aquamarine18 profile image58
      Aquamarine18posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much! You made my day! I had also been turned down the first time, probably because I applied after just 2 weeks of being here, although I had more than 80 hubs. After reading your forum post today, I decided to re-apply and...hey Presto! Half an hour later I was in!!!

6. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i write for hubpages and bubblews. Although hubpages traffic is very very low and slow compare to bubblews, it still pays writers promptly without any paypal deduction fees. Now the matter to a worst turn, pay writers in 60-90 days for asians and 30-35 days for canadians, UK, USA

Lots of writers are complaining.

I took a break from bubblews and concentrate on HP instead.

7. carolbaby99 profile image61
      carolbaby99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tammy, I have some questions.  How do you get paid on this website when you write?  How do I go about doing that?

1. Tammy Cramblett profile image67
        Tammy Cramblettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi carolbaby99. I have not actually received a payment yet but I do know they pay through PayPal. If you don't have a PayPal account then just go to their website and sign up, it's free smile Then you can add the email address you signed up with PayPal to your HubPages account by going to "earnings" and scrolling down to "Configure payment settings". The actual earnings come from Google Adsense and the HubPages Ad Program. You have to apply for an Adsense account and get approved before the HubPages Ad Program will kick in. A bit of advice, if you haven't been here on HubPages for at least a month and have 15 featured hubs, I wouldn't bother applying for Google Adsense. I applied several times and got denied up until my 5th week here and then got approved. I hope I didn't make that too confusing.

1. carolbaby99 profile image61
          carolbaby99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No you didn't thank you

2. profile image52
    Patti Quakeposted 9 years ago

Hi, Tammy. I like your determination - getting back on the horse, as they say. I am just starting out with this online writing quest. Will be exploring "life after retirement." Patti Quake

3. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Patti. Thank you! I wish you great success in your writing. Online writing can be very rewarding and challenging.

4. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

That's awesome news, Tammy! Getting approved for Adsense is worthy of much deserved excitement!  I can vicariously enjoy in your victory, one good thing leads to another, I wish you much success in your writing endeavors.  Cheers!

5. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Thank you Micheal! I appreciate your enthusiasm and wish you success in your writing as well.

6. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Lady Lorelei. I just now saw your post. For some reason it was hidden from me. Thank you and I agree that Google may have made the connection.

7. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Jayne. Thank you! I think Lady Lorelei is right. Maybe Google has finally caught up with some of us.

8. purrworld profile image61
    purrworldposted 9 years ago

Like how many hubs should you write in order to get approved by google adsense? I am new here..

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From the HubPages Learning Center:

We recommend publishing at least fifteen to twenty high-quality Hubs (entirely original, filled with useful, well-formatted information, containing at least 800 words and at least two images) before signing up for AdSense.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/signup-AdSense

9. Keegan Teel profile image60
    Keegan Teelposted 9 years ago

Thats odd because when you first start writing Hub recommends 10. I submitted at 10  and got rejected despite all 10 being featured so now I working on having 20 high quality hubs before I resubmit

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think things have changed a bit with Adsense from the beginning. Now they require more to get approved, probably due to so many that got approved and then gave up writing.

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Keegan: 20 hubs is an educated guess.  HP has no control over when Adsense will accept one of the writers here. Some have been approved with less than 20 hubs,  others do more than 20 and still get denied.   There are those who live in countries that have to wait at least 6 months before even being considered by Adsense.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/9724?hl=en

1. purrworld profile image61
      purrworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As i am from India, i think i will have a hard time getting adsense approved.

11. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

That's true Linda. I have been on HP for five weeks now and have 21 hubs and just got accepted by AdSense this morning. I'm wondering if has to do with how long a writer has been here more than the number of hubs they have.

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
      Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Major congrads!  I'm doing the happy dance for you smile.  It was really nice to see some good news for someone this morning and I thank you for sharing it.  I have not applied for Adsense since moving over here.  I had it on my old HP account and still do but can't get back into it for whatever reason.  I made it a few years ago and don't remember any of the passwords or even the email I used at the time.  I plan to apply in about a month or so for a new account after things have sat here a while.  Since I have moved and everything is different online and off, I'm hopeful it will work.  While I have over 100 articles, I still have the fear of rejection I'm sure we all deal with.  I'm so happy for you!  You made me smile with your news.  I hope this good trend continues for you!

12. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Rhonda. Thank you! I understand what you mean about hearing some good news. Seems like a lot of us have really had a string of bad luck or no luck at all. lol I hope maybe this is the start or continuation of a string of good luck for whoever needs it smile

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
      Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

13. Rachael Tate profile image68
    Rachael Tateposted 9 years ago

Just finished writing a hub about my experience with Adsense.  I was approved last week at 5 weeks membership to hubpages and 15 featured hubs.

14. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Rachael. Congrats on getting Adsense approved! Hmm...you got approved at five weeks, I just hit my fifth week and got approved. I do think it has something to do with the length of time on HP as well as having at least...10(?) featured hubs.

15. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Marisa. It is true that HP and Google should be more clear about length of time on site required. I'll be honest, HP is the first site I have ever written on that uses ad programs. I am used to the old "pay per view" thing or being paid a certain amount per article. Many of the writing sites have closed down and I would imagine more will do so in the future. I guess all some of us can do is ride it out. lol I have no interest in starting my own website. Blogging pays pretty good and there are plenty of opportunities for that. I don't care for blogging myself, but it is a viable option.

16. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi Aquamarine18. Congrats!!! I am so happy for you smile

17. carolbaby99 profile image61
    carolbaby99posted 9 years ago

I understand how you feel.  I got laid off this September.  But I have not lost my positivity or optimistic attitude that things can turn around.  Keep the faith. God has a plan for all of us.  Don't get discourage.  All will be well.

18. carolbaby99 profile image61

I am writing my first post today.  I am staying positive that things will go well today.

19. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hello carolbaby99. Thank you for your words of encouragement. It is definitely a shock to the system when something you could count is all of the sudden gone. Congratulations on writing your first post...the first of many more I hope smile I wish you all the success in your writing ventures.

20. carolbaby99 profile image61

Thank you so much
    I have a few questions.  When you write for hub pages.  Can you go on your experience or can you use other resources to write about such as newspapers or magazine articles.

21. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi carolbaby99. As far as I know you can use outside resources. I write from my own experiences and opinions at the moment since it is encouraged anyway. It is refreshing to be able to write in first person here on HP smile I hope I answered your questions and feel free to ask if you have more. I may not have the answer myself, but someone else just might smile

22. Tammy Cramblett profile image67

Hi peachpurple. Wow. I had no idea there was such a delay in overseas payments (I am in the U.S.). I don't know much about Bubblews and what little I do know has come from conflicting sources. Good luck here on HubPages smile

23. LindaSmith1 profile image61

carolbaby; First of all unless you have your own  Amazon associates ID, which is the only way you will earn from HP until you are approved for Google Adsense which you need to earn from Hub Pages Earnings Program.

24. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Those from certain countries have to wait 6 month minimum.  Quality of content is one thing.  Some people have 10 hubs in short period of time and get approved, while those who may have 30 hubs, been on HP for months and not approved.

25. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image94
    Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 9 years ago

This is encouraging for me too. I've been rejected by Adsense with 25 featured hubs, but I only had 2 weeks on HP. I've written a note to myself to apply again after I've been here for 5 weeks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)