How many languages can you understand, speak and write?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (31 posts)
  1. joween18 profile image81
    joween18posted 9 years ago

Since I got bored on Facebook, and cannot sleep (it's 4:44AM here), I decided to create this forum to discuss how many hubbers can speak many languages.

I am actually born in the Philippines, and particularly living in the second largest island called Mindanao, I can literally speak 3 languages, which is: Tagalog, Bisaya(Cebuano) and English. Although, I can understand very little Japanese since I became used to it by watching Anime.. hehe tongue

So is there any hubbers out there that are multilingual (I'm sure there were)? Please share your information here smile

And can someone provide me an answer for this "stupid" question..
    About how many languages can a human learn?

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am multilingual.
      I have known people that speak 6 languages fluently, but I think it gets confusing after that. Most people that speak that many languages are not fluent in all subjects-that is, they know the fourth or fifth language only for work, and use one or two mother tongues for chatting.

2. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am fluent in English, Spanish, and ASL (American Sign Language). I also have a working knowledge of Greek, French, and Italian. I am hoping to perfect on the latter three, as well as learn Russian from my husband (a former Russian linguist). We're raising our children to be multilingual. Our children are under the age of 3 and are both knowledgeable in Spanish, English, ASL, and Russian.

2. Zachary Basel profile image67
    Zachary Baselposted 9 years ago

I only know one language fluently, and that is English. However, I know a little Mandarin Chinese.

How many languages can a human learn? I think that depends a lot on how young the learner begins to learn and be around the other languages. This is why many Europeans know multiple languages, because they are in close proximity to several different languages. They are in contact with these languages more frequently at a young age than say an American.

I would imagine in order to master some languages on the level of native fluency it is absolutely critical that the learner begins to learn at an early age. Otherwise, their vocal muscles will never develop in the way which is needed for them to speak on a native level.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that it depends.

3. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I speak English because I come from...wait for it...England! lol! But i can speak a little french too.

4. mdgardner profile image91
    mdgardnerposted 9 years ago

Only English for me. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and one year of Spanish and French in college. I was pretty good in Spanish but after a while if you don't use it you lose it. I wish I had stuck with it.

5. crazyhorsesghost profile image72
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

I speak most Sioux dialects, Cherokee, Russian, French, and English. English was my second language. French was spoken in my childhood home as was Sioux and Cherokee. I lived in Russia several times while in the U.S. Navy. I worked in the embassy in Moscow twice.

I did not learn English until I was 7 going on 8 and it was one of the hardest things I ever did.

I speak all of the above languages perfectly and I have a working knowledge of Vietnamese, Laotian, and Mandarin Chinese.

6. Haj09 profile image60
    Haj09posted 9 years ago

I speak three languages! Arabic, French and English. I also understand a little bit of turkish ^_^

7. Cari Kay 11 profile image86
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

I was a German linguist.  I took 4 1/2 years of French and taught myself enough Russian to get around comfortably in Russia.  I enjoy learning languages.

8. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

I once was good enough in Spanish to teach it at a community college. But that was years ago. I've lost most of my abilities with the language through lack of use .

9. profile image0
    Ben Frickposted 9 years ago

I'm fluent in English, a little rusty at Spanish (mainly with vocab, not grammar), and I'm currently taking an "Intro to Japanese" class. Both Spanish and Japanese make much more sense than English, both with spelling and grammar.

10. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

Tamil (My mother tongue), English and Malayalam. And a little of broken Hindi!

11. Chauncey St Clair profile image62
    Chauncey St Clairposted 9 years ago

Understand: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese
    Speak: English, French, Spanish
    Write: English, French

12. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Born in Budapest - Hungary
    Primary school in Paris - France
    Secondary school in Amsterdam - Holland
    Worked as a dancer in Berlin - Germany
    Moved to London - England
    Now I live in Spain

I forgot my mother tongue Hungarian, but my circumstantial history still leaves me fluent in 5 languages: French, Dutch, German, English and Spanish.

joween18posted 9 years agoin reply to this

WOW! smile I wish I could learn some of that.

13. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

I can speak and write English, Hindi and Gujarati as a person staying in India.

14. koerakoonlane profile image78
    koerakoonlaneposted 9 years ago

Wow, there's some crazy and very surprising language knowledge here.

I myself, born and raised in Estonia, I naturally speak Estonian as a first language. I've had 12 years of intensive English studies, so I'm pretty happy with my English skills. On top of that I also studies German and Russian, 6 years each but never managed to learn to speak either of them.

During later years of primary school I started studying Japanese, then went on to live there for half a year and then study it in university, I used to speak it as my second foreign language, but these times I speak French a lot better as I've been living in France for over 4 years now.

Interestingly, in France I've also begun to speak Russian a bit as at my workplace (I'm a salesperson) we get a lots of Russian customers, so I've been joking around with them in my broken Russian, so now, almost 10 years after ending my Russian studies I speak it better than I ever did during school time. It seems like even if you completely forget a foreign language you can always revive it with some effort.

And on my to-do list I have Mandarin Chinese and Portuguese. Don't know yet what will I do to learn them, but I know for sure I don't want to go through language courses, need something a lot more efficient. Academic language learning programs are easily the worst and least rewarding ways of studying languages, but they are pretty important to get a certain basic knowledge which will help later if for example one would be to live in a country where they speak the language and wants to learn it through communication with the locals.

joween18posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow.... some interesting language skills you have there.. smile
      I'm hoping to learn some Mandarin chinese though.. smile

15. profile image0
    Manasi4posted 9 years ago

i am wondering where did my last comment go

16. profile image0
    Manasi4posted 9 years ago

i can speak 5 languages english, hindi, marathi and konkani and gujarati and understand punjabi too

17. joween18 profile image81
    joween18posted 9 years ago

Wow.... I never known some of the languages posted here... Can someone teach me some translation of this famous line:

"I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH"

BTW, if you translate that to TAGALOG, it would go like:
    "Mahal na Mahal Kita" or  "Mahal Kita"

and in BISAYA, it would go like:
    "Gihigugma kaayo ta ka"

smile

18. Cheeky Kid profile image96
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

Well, since I'm also Filipino, I also know three. English, Filipino, and Kapampangan. big_smile

19. lbrummer profile image95
    lbrummerposted 9 years ago

Sadly, the only language I can speak is English. I studied Latin, because it was mandatory,  in high school (graduated 57 yrs. ago) and the only phrase that I made an effort to remember was, “Ego amo te.”   Which I thought might come in handy sometime.  I hate to tell you that the occasion never came up, or the opportunity, for me to use the phrase.  I’ve erased it from my Bucket List.

20. bibliopola profile image81
    bibliopolaposted 9 years ago

I speak Turkish as I am from Istanbul Turkey, my English is fluent also I can understand easy text in French and German.

21. neosurk profile image87
    neosurkposted 9 years ago

I can read and write English, Nepali (native speaker) and Hindi. I do understand a little Urdu too.

22. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 9 years ago

Spanish, English and Italian. Also, a little Portuguese and French.

23. firstday profile image59
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

I speak English, as I am from America.  My English is improving from writing on here.  I have tried to learn Spanish and a little Hindi.  I think it is great others speak so many languages.

24. Dano Gillette profile image66
    Dano Gilletteposted 9 years ago

I am from Utah, but I lived in El Salvador for 2 years and also in Mexico for a couple months. I know speak fluent spanish.
    I often question how well I speak english. My grammar no very good!

25. Katiadejuan profile image70
    Katiadejuanposted 9 years ago

Hi there!

I am from Barcelona, and therefore my mother tongues are Spanish and Catalan. I also speak fluently English, Portuguese, French, and Italian, and currently I am learning Dutch, Norwegian, German and Danish, which I am already able to understand any written text but still need to improve my speaking and writing skills. smile

26. AaronBurton profile image60
    AaronBurtonposted 9 years ago

1 lol

27. savateuse profile image67
    savateuseposted 9 years ago

Well, English is my first language, but I do have to communicate a lot in French these days. I can understand French reasonably well, but sometimes I struggle with vocab.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)