The Jews: the chosen people: what do they offer?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (101 posts)
  1. cjhunsinger profile image60
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

Without the Jewish religion Christianity would have gone the way of so many savior beliefs, relegated to a back room, sitting on a museum storage shelf, collecting dust. And if it were not for one single man, a mortal man and a Jew, Christianity would be on that shelf, molding with the ages, but comforted in the cold embrace of Horus, another savior god born of a virgin. Paul of Tarsus, a Jew with Roman citizenship, the Father of Christianity was that man.
    However, it may also be said that without the Christian need for and dependence on Judaism for credibility, Yahweh would be on that shelf seated next to Aten, his predecessor and Aten’s son Akhenaton, perhaps, the original son of god. In the deep sleep of antiquity, I am sure that each recalls the days of glory, remembrances of such power and creativity, of such singular acclaim and adoration.

Yahweh (YHVH), the god of the Jews was probably a volcano, as in Mount Sinai and, in this, can we understand the stories of Moses and the smoke and the fire from a simple people in fear, dread and awe..

Abraham is the patriarch of Jews and from which, Judaism, Christianity and Islam sprang. That all three religions claim a single heritage and yet define themselves in opposing ways speaks to the ambiguity and lack of truth in such a claim.
    The story of Abraham, the first foundation of modern religions, is a story, first, an unfounded story and second, a story that is now considered to be a simple construct by a people desirous of creating a history that would provide a claim to land and credibility of being, much, as the modern State of Israel.
    The Pentateuch, the vessel for such stories, to include the myth of a godly creation of the universe and the Exodus, was written around the fourth century BCE by a people craving for justification and doing so, not out of knowledge of history, but out of a need to create a history. 

Perhaps, one of the most compelling stories of Moses and the Jews, which includes an understanding of the times and an unprecedented insight into human nature, was put forward by Sigmund Freud in his 1939 book, “Moses and Monotheism”.
    “Moses only led his close followers into freedom during an unstable period in Egyptian history after Akhenaten (ca. 1350 BC) and that they subsequently killed Moses in rebellion and later combined with another monotheistic tribe in Midian based on a volcanic God, Jahweh. Freud explains that years after the murder of Moses, the rebels regretted their action thus forming the concept of the Messiah as a hope for the return of Moses as the Saviour of the Israelites.
    From the manufactured savior of the Israelites, in the 'resurrection of Moses, to the manufactures of the New Testament, Jesus Christ, emerges and the myth continues.

Moses, in himself, is a questionable figure and may even be a construct from the 4th century, but, certainly, with much veracity, Akhenaten lived and is the Father of Monotheism, the god Aten. It can even be construed that Aten continued to exist and evolved into Sol Invictus of, which Constantine was a High  Priest 1000 years later. Aten now is still worshiped by Christians, as Sunday, a church day, is the day to worship the sun, Aten. This was imposed by Constantine from the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.

Gods exist because Man has the capacity to reason that gods exist. They answer the questions of being, as Man, to date, is the only animal with the ability, to ask a question. More importantly, it is we who answer the question that we asked.

10,000 years ago or so, we began to ask questions and we began to answer ourselves, the best way we knew how and, as we are often wrong now, we were completely wrong then, but it was a start, not an ending.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that was good stuff... I think. I'm not sure I got the point.
      To say that Christianity would be on a shelf without Judaism is kind of an understatement.
      It's like saying bread wouldn't taste as good without flour.
      Like a kid *with a brain is smarter than a kid without one.

What is the point?

cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The question was, what do the Jews offer, as in a chosen (godly) people?
        The overall answer, with reference the Post, is superstition and self aggrandizement, as Jews, Christianity and Islam rely on same for credibility. Evidently I failed to bring that through. I will do better with, The New Testament and Egyptian mythology, one and the same.

Maybe b/c of the punctuation usage, I am still not understanding the explanation.

Are you saying all Jews have to offer is superstition and self aggrandizement?

The topic deals with the aspect that the Jews are a self proclaimed  chosen people, to that a theistic, perspective. The secular accomplishments by the Jewish people have nothing to do with their theism, other than a bond, which is culturally,enormously strong. Perhaps, you are trying to read more into  the piece than what is there.

So you do not hold the Bible as the word of God?

Right!

Huh. Well ok then.

2. Credence2 profile image78
                Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Most interesting topic. While I believe that the bible is the word of God, people misinterpret its contents. In my opinion, God could not be God if he were partial to one group of people. The faithfulness of Abraham allowed God to bless his seed (Hebrews) up to the coming of the Messiah, Jesus. The Jews were special until the messiah and the establishment of a new covenant based on faith in Christ, which was available now to Jew and Gentile alike. Encouraged by current fundamentalist thought particularly in America, we are being taken advantage of by the Israeli Government with the idea that scripture says that anything that Israel does politically or militarily is beyond reproach.

What bothered me about the OP's post was his constant use of the term "self appointed" or "self declared" chosen ppl. (What ever the term was he used.) The Bible makes it very clear that God Himself declares the Jews as His chosen ppl. The fact that he does not hold the Bible as holy explains that. Now I can move on. smile

1. profile image57
                    retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is also a little discomfort contained in there about the continued existence of Israel. I wonder what that is about.

2. profile image0
                    Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The bible didn't write anything, people did and those people were Jews. They wrote themselves to be the chosen people, self appointed chosen people.

2. profile image57

The transformational nature of Christ makes us all, believer and non-believer, the children of God. God says that He will abandon no one - that includes the Jews. There is no preference remaining, except a repentant heart. All, even the unbeliever, will come to know Jesus and God, the Father - all will kneel before the power of Heaven, no matter who.

Let them chew on that one for a while.

You sound like an Islamist or a radicalized Muslim. In keeping with the history of Christianity would you set afire those who refuse to kneel.
                    You have added nothing to the topic, but continue to spew your vile, your hatred and your extreme lack of knowledge. Wallow in the shallowness of your belief, but please save the rest of us from your tripe and find a choir to preach to.

2. Credence2 profile image78
                    Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I concur

3. Doc Young profile image59
                    Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... all are creations of God ... but all are not the children of God ... one must be born again ...

2. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

The scripture being scrutinized in this fashion, is a stumbling block.
    It is given for the scrutiny of self. It is the bar, or it isn't.
    If one looks at scripture and sees mythology, he will, without doubt, prove that to himself, time and time again. Principalities and powers in high places are smart. They know what one wants to see/hear.
    In contrast, God considers what one needs to hear/see.  The rule/history is actually not up for debate. It is what it is. We must choose if it makes enough sense to seek him or not. If dark materials scream a louder "truth" in the ear, then the choice is made. Who suffers? Surely not the man to the left or right.
    The Jewish religion was given to the Jews. But when Jesus came, and said, "About face!" They missed the party. The Gentile was then invited. No longer a Jewish faith. Now a Jesus faith, based from the original plan God made for the Jew, who rejected.
    Jesus said, "Now come THIS way. Follow my commands." Many of them called him a liar.
    Now tell me... Would you follow a perceived liar?

I am sure that you are happy with your thinking and well you should.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad for the observation and approval. smile
        Should I take that to mean that you'd rather not discuss your matter with me?
        If so, I do understand your choice. No hard feelings about it.
        Your response felt like a shooing pat on the head. smile

Cgenaea

I have been accused of being an arrogant #$@!% and I can understand that opinion. In, any case, I will respond to and defend anything I write. If you wish to comment directly to or question the credibility of what I say, I welcome it. Although I feel very confident in me and my knowledge, I am always willing to learn or to teach, as the case may be. Being human I do not possess a universal intelligence to say categorically, that this or that is an absolute truth, as you cannot. So, it is a matter of, for me, reason, research, objectivity and conclusion and then more questions. I do not deal with others who simply want to evangelize and not deal with the question or assertion.

The main problem that people run across from my assertions is the fact that I use the bible's many books as my only reference. It is used solely because the conversations that I enter, here, are about Christianity. There is no other resource.
            Arrogance does not move me at all. I am grounded in something much bigger.
            The Christian questions asked of me, require biblical answers.
            Truth is my motivation. Not evangelizing. I am not attempting to "win souls for the Lord". I usually come to say what the truth of the bible is. That's it.
            However, I am perceived as evangelical. I guess it's no biggie. It's just misinterpretation.

Cgenaea
              Your words are far from the truth, they would indicate a simple belief in one of a 1000 gods. They contain no more truth than the one who believes the world is carried on the back of a turtle. Reasonably, your god or gods simply do not exist.  However, if you find comfort and purpose in that belief then you should continue to believe, because without it you would be lost and that would benefit no one.

1. profile image57

And yet it is not the turtle or the lightening bolt throwers that we debate. They tend to pass into history. We debate the personal God whose desire for humanity is for it to be with Him, so much so as to become human and sacrifice Himself for its sake. It is the God of the entirety of Nature, not just the one in storms or the sun, that we debate, why? Is it because that God and the curiosity with which He imbued humanity are irreconcilable in the minds of those who would limit their thinking just to the material? Is it because faith in the Judeo-Christian God, creator of everything - including space-time and super-strings - competes with a narrow perception of life? It is easy to dismiss the big turtle and the hairy thunder god but what about a God that is immaterial yet omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent? 

For the literalists, read John 16:12-13. These are New Testament times.

Amusing twist on the turtle, but none the same, the same.

1. profile image57

And I am accused of being shallow, that is just awesome, thank you for making all clear.

2. Cgenaea profile image60

Well, I believe your response to be a big ol lie, but what does it matter? My opinion is no heavier than yours. smile vice versa
                We pull equally in opposite directions.
                My God is around (I told everyone that I have seen him all my life.) No way he's not.
                Unfortunately, some do not get the confrimations.
                No matter how many times i am called a liar. Facts do not change. I guess we'll have to just wait it out. wink

I am sure that you have seen and even  talked to your god on multiple occassions . You are, indeed, favored and blessed.

A possibility for us all wink

3. Cgenaea profile image60

Speak for yourself. wink

4. profile image57
    jmark13posted 9 years ago

An a unfortunate increase in white bigoted bigots.

5. Cgenaea profile image60

You HAVE been reading your bible!!! smile the bible calls it belly too!!!
    I am pleased to see that you can "divide" one portion. smile you're gonna have to keep at it though, if you want to learn of him. But you are off to a great start.
    +1 Rad Man!!!

1. Jomine Jose profile image72
      Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What else do you expect in a book written by charlatans for the gullible?

They tried to call Jesus a charlatan. smile now look... we speak of him; calling him a King all this time later!
        He is worthy.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some DO call him King, just as they did when he lived (if he really did).  And some do not, just as they did then.

Though I do not get your point; I'd like to say that I did say WE call him king.
            But our opinions on the matter weigh very little.
            OUR means all of us smile

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The believers opinion has funded the largest industry in the world.  I'd have to say it matters quite a bit.

2. Jomine Jose profile image72

He is a simple fiction just like "king" Arthur.
          Charlatans are those who made that fiction.

6. Cgenaea profile image60

Well Sir, the king is the king if NO ONE acknowledges it. So, not even the yea sways truth.

If no one acknowledges a king is just a braggart.

7. Cgenaea profile image60

Indeed, lost, Jomine. Many, many moons ago... but that certain blindness you now acknowledge makes it difficult to NOT have to be told.
    And yes! "Gibberish" is my FIRST language. But certain of us here, will NEVER understand it, being blind and all. smile

I hope at least you understand what you say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)