Why Did You Join Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (60 posts)
  1. AaronBurton profile image60
    AaronBurtonposted 9 years ago

Just curious,

1. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I originally joined Hubpages when I divorced my first husband. I was in desperate need of work, so I decided to try my hand at freelance writing. It has been 3 years later and I am able to support my family of 4 entirely off of my freelance income.

2. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've always enjoyed writing as a pass-time. I've written a few things over the years for communities and websites/magazines on a voluntary basis, with no income at all. A friend suggest I try HubPages as I get to write for myself, publishing whatever topics I like and when I want.

The freedom is wonderful. No limit on words, and it's a brilliant lively community to share my work with. It's a great platform that allows me to produce polished professional looking pieces, and I love the way I can share them with other sites like Facebook.

I love to read other peoples' articles, and although I've only been here a short while, have made some friends with other Hubbers who have been so very helpful in helping me make sense of all of this.

I really feel like I'm settling in, and I certainly feel HubPages is a cozy community which I enjoy.

The income is a bonus; I didn't expect much to come of this, but it all adds up!

3. peachpurple profile image83
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i joined in H because I accidentally browse through a cookie recipe here. Then i was hooked when i knew i could earn a side income. Cents i don't mind

4. profile image0
      KeikoArtzposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to see if I could be paid combining the forces of my nerd mentality and professional, creative writing. HubPages was the answer to that. In fact, this became a goal of mine when I decided to be an English major. Now I'm working on my Master's Degree and HubPages is the perfect place to test out what I've learned.

5. Ilonagarden profile image91
      Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I heard about through Squidoo and thought I would try it out. So glad I did before the big merger, it helped me to know a bit about the differences in writing for the two sites. Now I am catching up with my new account that holds all the lenses which need adjusting.

I am getting to know the community a bit better, now, too. Once you write for a community they tell each other about their various places and discuss the pros and cons. It was inside some of those furums and pages that I felt Hubpages would be an interesting place to write.

6. Ilonagarden profile image91
      Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

P.S. The longer articles is more my style, anyway, and I like that in Hubpages, it will be a way to create more depth and at the same time tighten my focus. I feel as though this is a much better fit for me in this way. I miss the monsters, tho;)

2. orandze profile image69
    orandzeposted 9 years ago

I joined a couple years ago, shortly after joining Squidoo. I started out just testing the waters to decide which one I liked better (which is irrelevant now), but I stayed because I found I like writing different types of content on each site.

AaronBurtonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thats awesome bro! I also joined because of squidoo. Had to find a way to make money online and this seems to be an additional stream. Im not a writer but i'm learning haha. 1200 words per post is really training me.

1. orandze profile image69
        orandzeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! I think I learned a lot from Squidoo about making content more fun to look at and participate in. They really stressed having pictures, videos, quizzes, etc. Hubpages has taught me a lot about the actual writing process and how to create long-form quality content that's going to last.

Very true. The key is to have ever green content. Im still learning this.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

I joined HP 15 months ago thinking I would write several articles. Then, life interrupted me for the better. Well, a year later I came back and published 2 new hubs to see how it goes.

Glad your back! big_smile

4. LisaMarieGabriel profile image87
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years ago

I looked at Hubpages as a venue for music articles and instruction a couple of years ago. I was already writing on Squidoo and elsewhere, but I was also very busy with life and work. When Hubpages and Squidoo merged I was actually pretty excited about it all. At the moment I am focused on improving old content, but soon hope to write more music pages. It is a new adventure for us all.

Yes it is! What kind of music do you do?

1. LisaMarieGabriel profile image87
        LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was a music teacher for years doing all sorts of stuff, then I was involved as a guitar teacher for quite a long time too. I had to retire early to care for my mum but at that point I just wanted to share some of the stuff I had learned about recording and writing music. Also some of the guitar stuff. So it really is a mix of rock, pop, jazz, classical - you name it. I have very catholic taste in music and having been a jobbing musician and teacher for years I just like to share.

2. orandze profile image69
      orandzeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've tried writing a lot of music pages too (I've got a degree in it), but I haven't found much success making money with anything related to music. My best lens (tier 1) on Squidoo was a music one, but it never got any sales and the adsense couldn't have been making much at all (thank goodness for the tier system).
      What has your experience been? Is it just me and I've been focusing on the wrong topics?

1. LisaMarieGabriel profile image87
        LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think music is an incredibly competitive area to write in. There is a lot of real investment involved and it can be hard for ordinary musicians to even get a look in. The SEO aspect for a start. There are so many articles about music, not all of them good, that will rank better because the writers or their promoters really understand SEO. I don't. I basically just write what I know and on Squidoo I was linking groups of articles. It took me two and a half years before I made a sale from my best guitar lens - after that it seemed to gel more. I also have a degree in music, so I knew my stuff and it was frustrating waiting for traffic to build. I think I would advise anyone to write what they know best, try and find a unique perspective, but write lots of articles in that vein. Hope that helps.

5. lafleurdeplume profile image61
    lafleurdeplumeposted 9 years ago

I joined to have a different platform for my writing, specifically the release of a new story.  My blog caters to one audience and HubPages exposes me to an entirely different one.

wow nice! I've noticed most people have had blogs prior to joining hub pages. I'm really liking this platform.

1. lafleurdeplume profile image61
        lafleurdeplumeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I also already offer a large sample of free writing on my blog, so it was time to try something else... I'm enjoying the platform so far and hope to begin making a little side money eventually too smile

6. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

I thought it was great coming across HP , I wanted to find out could I write poetry . So I dive in and set goals on creative writing, basically on stories of friends and family that inspired me to write. I found out my grammar was terrible ! But I continued even though maybe not being quality, I was reaching and still is. When I look back at the beginning of it all I am grateful for fellow hubbers who took the time to read my work and give me something to work for. Along my travel here I found another wonderful thing about hub-pages questions and forums of many subjects you can reply to.
    If you are stuck in a creative mode ,you can have a part in the forum subjects. Not all are tasteful, some are just rude when you express the truth you know. But that is when you also have to realize that is the truth they fill they know as well.
    But we should never lock the door and throw away the key to our future and happiness just because we want to be right prideful there is no future in that. But there is a future in the truth.

7. profile image0
    Charmain Englishposted 9 years ago

I came across HubPages and was definitely intrigued. I was pretty impressed with the site and all the different topics covered. I really wanted to step out of my comfort zone of my 9-5 job and explore the possibilities. I've been talking about dabbling in writing and this site allows for me to do that without feeling the pressure of deadlines or competition. I appreciate being part of a community of different minded individuals who have one common thread...the love of writing!

8. profile image0
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years ago

I had a spot on BlogSpot; but, the formats on hubpages held a better appeal for me.  Hubpages allows me to really search what I'm writing about and it gives me the chance to post my blogs according to topic.  I have varied topics from the medicines my kiddos take to Biblical devotions.  I'm really enjoying it here, and I so hope that this proves to be a jumping off point for me.  Maybe someday I'll get noticed by someone who wants me to write a devotional book or something of that nature.  I already can see the possibilities swimming around in my think tank.

9. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I was looking for an online job and one day HubPages showed up. I read it and signed up. It did not turn out the way that I expected even though I was only expecting a part-time income. Since I began here I have kept writing, improved my writing, learned quite a bit. I seem to be a better writer than I knew. I like it here. :-)

Your a pretty good hub writer!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you AaronBurton. :-)

10. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Because of the shut down of Squidoo. Not that I'm not pleased to be a member of the community, but if Squidoo hadn't closed its doors, I would not have been looking for a 2d UDC site for some time, at least not before 2015.

True, I was unaware of the shutdown of squidoo until recently.

11. profile image0
    Ben Frickposted 9 years ago

Originally, I joined because I wanted to see how much I could make off of HubPages. But after being unsuccessful in trying to get my earnings options set up, mainly Google AdSense, I figured I might as well use this as another writing platform along with my blogs. I really like how easy it is to create an article on this site; I just wish they would have an option to float capsules to the left as well. Plus, I may end up using this as a space to practice writing articles on various topics.

That's awesome bro! You need help setting up your adsense?

12. profile image0
    Ben Frickposted 9 years ago

I think I may be violating a TOS violation, but I have no idea what exactly. I don't know if it's because I haven't written enough articles yet, as I joined HubPages a little less than a week ago, and I haven't generated enough traffic yet; or it's something completely different that I'm unaware of.

1. lafleurdeplume profile image61
      lafleurdeplumeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From everything I have read, you must have at least 15-20 (20 seems to be the magic number) featured hubs AND be a member for at least 4-5 weeks to be accepted into the Google Ad program.  The TOS message is an auto response meaning in violation of Terms of Service... in your case, not enough content.  Be patient, add more Hubs, and try again in a few weeks!

1. profile image0
        Ben Frickposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well dern, that's what I figured but I wasn't quite sure.

I know it's going to take me a while 'til I have even 10 articles because college and work take up most of my time to begin with, plus I've recently delved into freelance writing a little bit. Ah well, I guess it happens when it happens.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Ben: Is one of your hubs flagged?

1. profile image0

No. So far, two have been featured and my latest one is currently going through Quality Assessment.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I don't understand about TOS violation?

1. profile image0

I don't know either hmm

15. LindaSmith1 profile image60

What gave you the idea that you committed a TOS violation?

1. profile image0

In my earnings settings, it said that "Association Disabled by You or by Google for TOS Violation." I'm pretty sure I didn't disable it, as I was trying to create/associate an account in the first place.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the problem is Google/Panda.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Hopefully, somebody will chime in on this one.  To begin with , you need about 20 high quality hubs before applying for Adsense.

Strange, I already had an adsense account so I just linked it. No problems and i barely joined a couple days ago. Email hubpages.

17. LindaSmith1 profile image60

did you put your adsense ID in the correct spot?  Did it say active

18. LindaSmith1 profile image60

team@hubpages.com

19. muruk2012 profile image57
    muruk2012posted 9 years ago

To leave my voice around is the sole answer that I like to give you my dear moreover it is a reliable source to get traffic to my other webpages.

20. profile image0
    Manasi4posted 9 years ago

i joined to venture out from my comfort zone and also to earn

21. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

To become a billionaire.
    (Almost there!)

woohoo!!! lol

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a co-ink-ee-dink! Me too! Nyuk-nyuk!

22. Shorebirdie profile image73
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

With my original Desertdarlene account, I signed up because I wanted another site to make money and I've heard about Hubpages off and on elsewhere.  But, it was a lot like Squidoo, so I didn't want to duplicate content and had a hard time coming up with ideas.  With this account, Shorebirdie, it's because of the Squidoo transfer.

23. Agent Solutions profile image58
    Agent Solutionsposted 9 years ago

I have joined hugpages.com to share information and useful content about the particular topic. I am sharing my experience on that topic and know the thoughts of the other users. Currently I am writing content on my this website "www.solutionsforagents.com"

24. David Stone1 profile image64
    David Stone1posted 9 years ago

To publish my work, pure and simple, and to be compensated for it. Pretty uncomplicated.

Nice

25. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I joined because I wanted to see if I could upgrade myself from forum comic to a more extended form of writing.  In that way I think I succeeded.  I learned a lot at HubPages from friendly and helpful people and became a very average article writer - although sadly not one who ever mastered the making money element.

It has been a University degree course for writing and gave me a whole new hobby and interest. I will always be grateful for that.

26. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Squidoo made me do it.

OK, they didn't MAKE me do it, but they did present me with a large button to click, which promised to transport me to some magical land called HubPages.

I'm a huge sucker for buttons...

27. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I couldn't find a place in the "real world" that was willing to pay me for writing/rambling about my favorite things (bad movies and hard rock/heavy metal music) so I figured I'd give it a try here. That was three years ago and though I've never made much more than occasional beer money, I'm still having fun.

28. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I saw an ad on Facebook and it caught my attention. I love it so much I wrote a hub about it. (sorry, Mark. big_smile)  I don't publish as much as I used to, but I daily check my hubs (frequent updates) and the site.  It turned me into a geek of sorts.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol.  Noticed and noted down in my special book.

2. AaronBurton profile image60

Welcome to the geeks club ahaha. And I didnt know they ran ads. Thats interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)