Does Hubpages allow us to place our own ads on our pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. jc stone profile image60
    jc stoneposted 9 years ago

For example if i can find a company or person that is willing to pay me for an ad can i put it on my page to help me pay for my writings here on Hubpages? I know i can make money from google adsence,Amazon and Ebay. Thank you all in advance, Jordan

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are allowed to do this, but only with text links.  In other words, you can't use the HTML display ads that most advertisers want.

You cannot have more than two links to the same domain on a single Hub and the links must be related to your content.  When you add the link, put a check in the affiliate box in the link editing capsule:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11885370.jpg

1. profile image50
        billtweakerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

(no more than 2 links) Assuming that's true, it's good to know. I might have to do a little bit of editing. I guess it could alert the writers when it detects that, but it's never perfect.

2. profile image0
        bobtyndallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In this example you are showing an image url instead of an affiliate link. The image won't show up and does no good. Besides, you can use the photo module to link to an image. Just upload the image and where it asks for the url of the image use your affiliate link or the link to the page you want to use.

This photo was to show how to give a text link for a photo credit in a text capsule.  You can put any URL in the box.  The point is to make sure you click the option to make the link NoFollow.  There is no option like this to make a link NoFollow in a photo capsule.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Blogger or your own website is where you place those ads.  Advertisers want to see content.  The sites that say they have advertisers, also want to see good content. Adsense wants to see content.

3. firstday profile image62
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

I plan to follow this forum.  It is good thing to ask first.  I doubt they would let you since there is no way to really regulate the ads.

4. joanhall profile image87
    joanhallposted 9 years ago

In some of my choir music hubs, I have a link to my own business.  I sure hope that's OK.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

joanhall: That is considered self promotion and will eventually get flagged.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No GalleryofGrace, that's not correct.   It is perfectly acceptable to link to your own business in a Hub, provided:

1.  the Hub isn't written solely to promote the business
        2.  the topic of the Hub is relevant to the nature of the business
        3.  you have no more than two links to the business in the whole Hub.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

joanhall: As long as you don't use more than 2 text links.  But what JC is talking about won't be allowed on hub pages.  Also be sure that the links are content related and not just tossed in there.

6. Rusty Quill profile image88
    Rusty Quillposted 9 years ago

I would also add that it is technically against google TOS to pay for backlinks or sell links on your website. How this is any different from display (banner) ads is beyond me, but that is their stance on it. So do it with that in mind, it could lead to a penalty. If you have the nofollow checkbox checked perhaps that will be enough to protect you since it doesn't pass PR that way.

It's against Google's guidelines to sell links or post advertising/affiliate links which pass PageRank.  Using the NoFollow attribute prevents PageRank from passing.  It is one of the reasons the attribute was introduced.  That's why it is important to check the box in the image I provided above.  One of the reasons some people do not have good traffic to their Hubs is because they do not use the NoFollow attribute when it is required.  It should also be used when referring to webpages totally unrelated to the subject of your Hub, as with most photo credits, for example. Hubs which don't comply will be further penalized when the Google Penguin algorithm is updated (coming soon!) because it is all about webspam and linking is one factor of the Penguin algorithm.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

WF: Most of those sites that advertise getting advertisers want personal blogs, and for you to place widgets, banners etc.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60

WF:  What about links to hubs by other hubbers, do we make them no follow.  I always put source url in photos from morgue file, flickr

Links to Hubs by other people should be followed links.  Just make sure that they are absolutely related to the subject of your Hub.  It's best to also include followed links to other related information on other websites. Just linking to other Hubs is just providing internal links for Google and, that's OK, but Google wants to follow links to other webpages which you recommend, as well. (Just some advice: never link to a webpage that is ranking highly for queries you want to rank for; always choose something not in competition with your Hub.)

If you are going to link to Morquefile, make it a NoFollow link.  (That site does not require attribution for images and I never give a link to it.) For Flickr, you have to check the attribution requirements on each photo and those links should be NoFollow.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I very rarely link to Hubs by other people.   The nature of HubPages is such that Hubs change, and linking to other Hubs becomes a recipe for broken links.  Also, in most cases you can probably find a reputable site to provide the same information, and that will do your Hub (and HubPages in general) far more good than taking the easy option and linking to another Hub or Wikipedia.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I am writing a hub about dog names, for example, and someone on hub pages has a funny article about boring dog names, why do you think I should go and shove another website on my hub? Do you think those so called "reputable" sites that you are linking to are not making a profit?

1. Sed-me profile image78
            Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dingo

I am confused. Not for the first time, admittedly.

Maybe she meant 'bingo' but was choosing a word more dog friendly.

That makes sense. Maybe I should send sed-me a "do follow".

2. Sed-me profile image78

A good dog name... Dingo.

Kind of boring though. (Shadee wrote a hub on that. Mark Ewbie will be so proud that I am not shamelessly using the HP forum to tout my own hubs.)
                  What about Bingo? Is that o-riginal, or what?

I once had a Blue Heeler for herding cattle when I owned a ranch.  The breed is part Dingo.  The best cattle dog in the world, bar none! Now there's a dog you could write a Hub about.  (I want a commission if you do!)

2. Sed-me profile image78

Dingo is boring and Bingo is not?
                    A dingo! Come on!

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

If I have flickr listed as the source on many of my photos, can you give detailed info on how to make this no follow? The only way I know to do it is through html. Thanks.

The photo capsule is problematic.  I got a NoFollow to work earlier today for someone else's Hub by adding it to the URL.  They were using an affiliate link to an Amazon search.  I can't get the NoFollow to work for a regular URL.  All you can do there is put the Flickr link underneath in a text capsule.

Okay, I just tried that. After I copy and paste the flickr info into a text capsule, do I then need to adjust the html text to make it no follow?

Yes.  After you add the link in the edit mode, click on the HTML on the top left menu and adjust the link to look like this:
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8210626_f520.jpg

Then save the edit capsule.  Then save the page.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I have not seen no follow in photo capsules though, unless I simply leave out URL.

10. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I stay away from Wikipedia.  When I link to other hubs, which is not often, I am careful about who I link to. It is hubbers that have been here for awhile, or those I know from other sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)