Should 3rd parties be allowed on hub pages to sale writers work ?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (39 posts)
  1. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11886629_f520.jpg
    its legal to resale writings as third party so should it be allowed on hub pages to sale as third party on your hub page?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

<personal attack snipped>

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

^^ Relache with a cinder block for the win!!

2. fpherj48 profile image61
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you notice all the comments at the bottom telling her what a great job she is doing? Did they read the same article we did?

1. fpherj48 profile image61

Dr. Mark.....P L E A S E.......you have just brought up what is my sorest of sore spots here at HP.......In fact, I just had a lengthy online conversation with a good friend about this very thing...
            It was quite a while after I joined and really got settled in here, that I started cruising around the neighborhood.  I discovered that I had moved into the affluent part of Hubville.   Since I am admittedly directionally dysfunctional, I kept getting lost in the ghetto section, strolling down dark and spooky alleys amongst the illiterates, grammar whores and Crap Spellers.
            It wasn't bad enough that I couldn't get past the first paragraph of most of the alleged hubs without needing to down an alka seltzer......but then I braved the comment section.   
            OK.....so I read them all 2 and 3 times.  So sue me.  I was looking for the slightest hint of sarcasm....."Ha-Ha,  I'm joking, your hub really sucks"......anything, that would indicate to me that these morons were not seriously leaving glowing remarks about the pile of dog poop I had just read.
            Alas.....to my deep disappointment and disgust, I came to learn they are everywhere...some worse than others, but all with no hope....NONE.
            I've tried flagging...reporting...even sending PLEAS via email........"I beg of you, get this garbage off our precious site.."   My attempts have been for naught as have so many from fellow hubbers.
            This young lady is a classic example.  I rest my case.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
              Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paula. I also get perturbed when people comment with glowing remarks on a hub that is not worthy of anyone's time. I just wish there were more honest people who could leave a comment, like some constructive criticism - or just not comment at all rather than trying to be nice. Nice does not cut it when it is important to do our part in ensuring an all-around great community with good quality hubs. As members of HubPages, it is our duty to be honest. Thanks for posting this reply of yours.

1. Jodah profile image92
                Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Phyllis and Paula. I read both the forum threads started by this person and I couldn't believe she had published a number of books and had an agent, her English was so poor. Weather she had a genuine concern about her books being sold by a third party I have no idea but none of it made much sense. I checked a couple of her hubs yesterday and they seemed to have reasonable content but a poor grasp of English, and as stated all good comments. That irks me too. Even the poetry hubs that are still there have numerous mistakes but positive comments and some by hubbers I know and respect...if I read a hub like that with more than just one or two errors I just won't comment, rather than leave false praise. She would not have copped any flack however if she wasn't rude to the people who commented in the forums when they were just trying to give her advice.

Some of those people who comment on every single thing they read, even the hubs full of mistakes, seem to be in a competition for the commentator accolade. Sad. Like you, the vast majority I just read and then move on rather than leave false praise.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
                  Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jodah. It really saddened me to see such comments from people I, too, know and respect. It really shocked me.to see that.

2. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 9 years ago

I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean?

3. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 9 years ago

HubPages articles can't be resold because they're not for sale in the first place. They're also not in physical form, so it means they would have to be copied in order for someone to sell them, which is illegal.

It's not the same as buying and selling a book in physical form. If I buy a book from a bookshop and resell it at whatever price, it means I no longer have the book. No copying has taken place.

That's a very different situation to illegally copying and reselling.

4. BlueObsidian profile image67
    BlueObsidianposted 9 years ago

No, because they aren't a physical book.  Reselling a physical book is reselling an object that the author has already been paid for.  A third party seller can't make copies of a work and sell them, they can only sell an object that they already own.

5. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

That's my point you buy then resale my book(s) where not bought but sold to individuals that know me and contacted me to let me know how much they loved my book, when I check with my publisher I was informed none was sold directly through them but a third party that had not purchased book directly through their channels, so how was this done, through copy right infringements. 

And you are paid for articles on hubpages, maybe not directly from the reader but through hubpages

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is an issue you need to address with your publisher.  It is in no way related to published work on HubPages.

2. chasmac profile image90
      chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about an e-book or an actual physical book?

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

People who buy physical books are allowed to resell them. If that is really unacceptable to you you should never have published in the first place. It is a doctrine in international and national law that has been in place for centuries.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If they weren't there would be a lot of second-hand bookshops over here in the UK breaking the law and all the charity shops who sell donated books.  There can be big money in rare, old books.

7. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

If you own a legally produced copy via legal means (such as a purchase or a gift), you can sell it however and for how much you want.

Hubs are articles and can't be sold or copied except by the copyright owner.

8. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

In her defense, I randomly checked out one of her pages Positive Energy Flow, Plants & Stress Relief, and found that it was well put together and with a good command of basic English.

Whether this is typical or atypical I can't say.

I think there are a few factors here:

1) The OP's reasonable or not frustration and fury that someone "stole" their work. (And there WAS a suggestion that some publisher had actually reproduced her work, whether verified or not.)

2) The OP's rather frustrating insistence on using text-speak rather than normal standard English. To the OP: This does NOT enhance your credibility with the larger community, most of whom expect folks to speak standard English if they desire respect. This goes doubly in a community of writers, many of whom have spent decades honing their command of the English language.

3) The OP's rather frantic habit of sending her argument in small bursts. I don't know a lot about how smartphones work, but I suspect this may be a "feature" of that.

But let's all just take a chill pill. Warranted or not, if I THOUGHT someone was stealing my stuff, I'd be ticked too.

OP: If you actually want some help and sympathy, communicate in basic English, explain the whole situation and stop blasting us with mini posts, antipathy directed at those who respond (and which you obviously don't seem to understand) and language that gives us a headache to decipher.

Everybody else, let's try to take the high road and not use this as an excuse to dis a fellow hubber. If you've found a hub that is worthy of report, just report it and explain to the mods what you think.

Forgive me for playing the anti-drama Queen (I realize I'm new here and maybe don't have the right to clobber folks with a truth stick) but over the last several decades I've seen many sites and IRL groups implode because of nonsense like this. I was also a bullied child and know the effects of that.

Let's all just try being human and humane even when it challenges us.

1. gitachud profile image67
      gitachudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said. Throwing nasty words at someone just because their command of the English language is wanting is rather harsh.

It is fine to criticize, but I think it must be done in a humane manner.

The people who commented on the hub were giving their views on the ideas and facts presented -- they were not marking an English paper.

lion & gita......All due respect folks....this OP has TWO forum threads on the same topic currently active.   If you haven't as yet, I suggest you read them both from beginning to the last post.  Opinions are a right we each have and may comment as we see appropriate and just.  It is not your place to admonish the manner in which a comment is presented.
        In fact, your  attempted sermon is totally misdirected.  READ the threads.  The OP presented a concern as well as requested advice.  This OP then proceeded to verbally and nastily attack and INSULT the responders who have been kind enough to offer assistance.  THIS is what is unacceptable and "harsh."  Period, the end.
        The OP is frantically raving about her "book(s)"  being stolen or copied and not paid for and whatever else she is accusing.  She has made nonsensical comments that "it must be an internet glitch that someone received a nasty comment on their hub from her.".....Really"? There can be no such GLITCH!  Comments from one person to another hubber don't appear accidentally.  This is an insult to the intelligence of fellow hubbers. The OP needs to CEASE the nonsense.
        Finally, but not the least obvious.....As has been intimated by a few individuals here, the big question remains:  What sort of BOOK and in what language might this book have been written when the OP cannot form a complete, comprehensive sentence? This site is exclusively for English-educated-literate people.   Please dont tell us you are not aware of this. Editing is of utmost importance.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

Relax. No need to get all agitated --the world has bigger problems.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One of the criteria Google uses for judging websites is grammar and spelling.    Therefore HubPage is NOT a suitable place for non-English-speakers to practice their English, because their failures damage HubPages.

I agree 100%. My problem is the insulting and derogative language that some Hubbers are directing at the OP.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No one was being insulting until the OP replied to a perfectly civil post by Psycheskinner in an aggressive and rude manner.  The OP is now posting insulting comments on people's Hubs, too.

There is no excuse for her rudeness. She is no longer posting here, probably because she was banned. If she is posting rude comments at the hubs from those who tried to help her she should be banned from HP.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
              LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes there are nasty comments in hubs.  I found 3 this morning from the OP in one hub and reported them.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We were discussing, I think, this thread and posts in it rather than comments on hubs.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In a nutshell.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11889373.jpg

9. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I'm assuming the OP must be experiencing something like what has been happening to alexadry's work. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125537

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That case was someone plagiarizing online material to make and sell an ebook.

This case is a reseller selling a paperback the author feels is a counterfeit copy of her paperback release.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, I see. It was difficult for me to decipher. Thanks.

10. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

It seems she has also deleted all her hubs except for a few poetry hubs, unless they have been unfeatured.

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Personally, even in cases where there is piracy I see it as a time to stay positive.  You identify the steps you can take (Amazon notifications, DMCA notices etc) and you set aside a reasonable amount of time to dealing with that in an effective/efficient manner. For piracy I use the MUSO system which is fast and automated. 

Then you go back to making sure most of your energy goes into marketing and writing the next book.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

psycheskinner: There is another forum about same thing, by same OP, with same attacking those who responded then it went further with attacks in hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)