Fraud and Misrepresentation

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11891920.jpg
    I discovered at least two sites that are misrepresenting my hubs on HP by not linking but just putting quotes around what I have written.  However, the only thing is, some of the words are not my words!  Plus, some of the articles are not me as Faith Reaper either!  One site has huge black bolded letters FAITH REAPER ON HUBPAGES, but then underneath just quotes of my articles and articles that I have not even written, some on a teenage daughter, which I have never written on!  They may be from other hubbers, but the site makes it appear that I am the one writing such articles.  I am perfectly fine with links to my hubs being shared, but to not link and just put quotes around some of my words and then changing the wording, is a misrepresentation of me as Faith Reaper.  One site has "Bali Jobs Info" and the other is Wallery, but both look like they are initially "Faith Reaper on HubPages" ... so disturbing.

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Faith, have you tried contacting the owner of the site? Can you provide links where you found this misrepresentation?

Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sha, not yet but I will do so!  Here is the one about Bali Jobs Info, and what in the world would that have to do with my hubs?

Sha, I edited this comment as to Writer's Fox's suggestion so not to give him any visitors to that site.

Gosh, now I am seeing a ton of other sites with Faith Reaper on HubPages, like from the Philippines, etc.!

2. Writer Fox profile image30
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Theresa, don't worry about that site.  That's the kind of site that just scrapes random content, a few sentences here and there, and hopes to draw an audience to click on all those ads.  That kind of scraping is done with software and pages like that never rank in Google.  You can file a Google spam report if you want to, but I wouldn't bother.

I would suggest that you disable that link, though, so it's not clickable.  You don't want to give the guy a free link here.

Oh, really!  Thank you so much, Writer Fox.  That makes me feel much better if you think that is the case.  I went back on my reply to Sha and deleted the link, as you suggested, as we certainly do not want him getting any visitors.  The only thing that bothers me is it looks like other articles that I have not written were written by me when they were not.

3. bravewarrior profile image88

Faith, I clicked on the link before you edited your comment and McAfee warned me that I don't want to go there; that the site displays risky behaviors. I don't know if you can do this without sending DMCAs first, but try going into your Google Webmasters Tool account and request the page be removed.

Sha, thank you so much for letting me know about that for sure.  I will do as you suggest. I appreciate you!!!  It seems it would be so obvious that something is strange about it being it states Bali Jobs Info and then has a recipe hub and other hubs quoted sort of ... so strange.

2. CrisSp profile image72
      CrisSpposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear about that Faith. That is really very disturbing and so wrong. Contact the site and complain. You have all the right and they need to be alerted. BTW, How did you find out though?

Thanks Cris,

It is disturbing.  I just Googled Faith Reaper on Hubpages and my normal stuff came up and then I kept scrolling down and wondered why a Bali Jobs site had "Faith Reaper on HubPages" ...  I was scared to click on it at first for fear of a virus or something.  Guess I need to get over that and do what I need to do.

1. lawrence01 profile image64
          lawrence01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Before you do faith. I'd make sure your anti virus software is up to date. I realize you probably already thought of it but no harm in reminding you

1. Writer Fox profile image30

You can always just look at the cache version.  That's safe because it's hosted on Google's servers.

Thank you for the added insight, Writer Fox.  I appreciate you.  Oh, yes, it is up to date!

2. bravewarrior profile image88

How do you do that, Writer Fox?

1. Writer Fox profile image30

Put the URL in the search box on Google.  Then, click on the little green arrow next to the URL.  When the word 'cached' appears, click on the word.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11892116.png

Thank you writer Fox. I did not know how to do that either.

2. bravewarrior profile image88

Thanx.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I typed in my account and found the same thing. Lots of sites just using my user name and then links to lots of unrelated stuff. One was a Bali site, so I'd guess it was the same one. One was about love quotes and I don't have any hubs like that. I guess it isn't that important unless someone is searching for your account.

Oh really! I just do not understand what the point of them doing something like this is all about? I don't like it one bit as it misrepresents me as Faith Reaper as to what topics I write about. Thank you for sharing.

2. Hendrika profile image67
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

I thought I will just google hendrika on hubpages and guess what the very first result is bali jobs and the next is webroar then ayoping the next wiki.wandboard and so on, some you cannot even find anything that I have actually written. So, this is a very big problem I sit with now. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Hi Hendrika, it is very disturbing indeed.  I am sorry this happened to you too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)