Why do many people think astrology is just prediction and zodiac signs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (49 posts)
  1. deecoleworld profile image74
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

Why do many people think astrology is just prediction and zodiac signs? Do you know what astrology is? Do you have an idea? Do you believe in it? No?? Yes??

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please explain exactly how astrology works? Thank you in advance.

deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's very complex if you are interested, look at some of my hubs!!!!!

I saw nothing complex at all about astrology in your hubs, mostly just nonsensical mumbo jumbo and vague generalizations. Sure looks like mythology.

2. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 9 years ago

Because that's what it is. Right?

I am not understanding what you are saying?

1. janesix profile image61
        janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was answering the question. The reason many people believe astrology is just prediction based on planetary position is because that's what astrology is. What is it you don't understand?

I've been reading your posts on astrology, and you have yet to answer "How does it work?"

If no one can answer that, then it is just superstition.

@janesix: A lot of this doesn't make sense to you, because you simply to not understand what I am saying, the terms I am referring to, etc. Its similar to explaining physics to someone who has never studied physics and do not know the basics of it. Astrology can-not be summarized, there are a lot of factors to consider and has been around for thousands of years. I can give you a definition but that doesn't help or explain anything because a definition is very vague. To even begin to grasp what astrology is, its helpful to do a natal chart on yourself

Do your own research and make your mind up!!!

What you aren't getting is that you keep failing to answer the actual question. How does astrology work? You could give me lessons all day long on astrology and not come close. It is your failure to show, and not my failure to understand.

What is the medium through which the planets influence human behavior? Through measurable, physical means? Or is it just superstition? Is it through a means/media we don't know how to measure (or can't) like prana for instance? I want to know HOW.

Ok one big aspect of astrology is natal charts (also known as birth charts). From my What is Astrology Anyway? Part 2 Houses Natal Charts and Conclusions hub,
              "Natal charts are physical charts that show the specific positions, planets and other factors for an individual, place or event. Natal charts collect and measure this information by analyzing the birthday (day, month and year), the specific time of birth and the specific place a person was born. Natal charts are very unique, individualized and personal and are often there to help analyze and interpret a person, place or event in time. Natal charts also shows you things like decants, degrees, aspects and transits that all evolve around the person’s specific and unique planetary positions and all that fancy, detailed, confusing and more advanced information. No two natal charts (in theory) are alike, just as no two snowflakes are alike"
              There is actually math, skill, and method involved when doing natal charts. You can say it is measurable and a bit scientific since there is a method to it. Astrologers have to study all the planets positions at the time of birth by studying an ephemeris. An ephemeris is a chart of the positions of heavenly bodies (like planets, asteroids, etc.) at given points in time—you can purchase one or find one at the library, and several are available on the Internet. You also need the longitude and latitude coordinates of the place you were born. Astrologers used to this by hand but now we have computer programs and online websites where you can put in your date of birth, birth-time, and location you were born and they do everything for you (including giving you interpretation of it). ALL FOR FREE When you do a natal chart you can a drawing (a big circle divided into sections with symbols on them). In the natal chart there are 7 personal planets (Ascendant, Sun, Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Jupiter). Then they give you your interpersonal. trans-generational planets, Pluto, Neptune, and Uranus This is trans-generational because people within the same age category as you aka the same generation as you and they apply to everyone not just you.

A natal chart gives you insight to lot of things in relationship to yourself and the planets/asteroids, your basically personality (sun or zodiac sign),  your emotions (moon), how you act in relationship (Venus), how you express your energy and sexuality (your mars), your communication style (mercury) ETC.

I suggest you do a natal chart to grasp what astrology is. By the way the picture below is an example of how a natal chart looks like.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11883435.jpg

I know what a natal chart is. That doesn't answer my question of how it works. I am beginning to suspect you have reading comprehension problems.

I truly doubt that you know what a natal chart is. If you did know, you will know that it is a big part of astrology. A big part of how astrology works has to do with natal chart. If you were actually smart enough to grasp that then we can begin talking. I am beginning to suspect you have forgot to take your meds? Am I right? Maybe you should lay off this forum and get your mind right smile

That's quite the debate tactic you employ. What do call it?

2. janesix profile image61

It's OK to admit you don't know how astrology works.

It's not science. That is laughable.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Here is an easy to grasp description of what astrology is...

At the end of the 17th century, new scientific concepts in astronomy and physics (such as heliocentrism and Newtonian mechanics) called astrology into question. Astrology thus lost its academic and theoretical standing, and common belief in astrology has largely declined.Astrology has been rejected by the scientific community as a pseudoscience, having no validity or explanatory power for describing the universe. Among other issues, there is no proposed mechanism of action by which the positions and motions of stars and planets could affect people and events on Earth that does not contradict well understood basic aspects of biology and physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The fact that the zodiac signs no longer even relate to when those stars are ascendent reveals a bit of a basic validity problem.

4. Jaydeus profile image62
    Jaydeusposted 9 years ago

psycheskinner's reply is spot-on.  The astrology standards put into place in ancient times no longer are the same as those who designed the primitive systems did not understand that celestial objects do not follow the same paths forever.  They could tell that some points of light moved faster, the planets, but they did not have any clue as to why so they assigned them divine names and associated with them their respective powers and persuasions.
    Astronomy is factual science and I suggest placing your study in that instead of mythology and you will discover there is much more to the universe than superstition.

@psycheskinner and @Jaydeus The information you are presenting is not accurate in regards to astrology. There is a misconception that astrology is all about looking at the stars and that it has outdated information. Its actually about looking mostly at planets and asteroids (and not stars). If you do your own natal chart you will see that it really isn't about stars. Also most of what astrology is about, is done in real time, not hundreds of years ago. Natal charts are done for your birth-date (and unless you were born hundreds of years ago) your point doesn't make any sense. Astrology is very old, but its very applicable to modern times. Again it doesn't seem like you know much about astrology. Do your own research!!!

Plus I don't understand why people try to apply science and scientific method to something that is not scientific. Astrology doesn't claim to be scientific. That is like trying to proof there is a God. How can you possibly prove there is God? Perhaps the theory of evolution (which is a theory, not a fact and is not widely accepted in the scientific community). There are no tests or tools that measure astrology effectively, because testers fail to understand the nature of astrology. Plus science and the scientific community is continuously revealing then later disproving and questioning theories and ideas. Scientists can't agree on anything for too long. And how can they? The more you know, the less you know!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"One thing I do know is that the planets don't change positions or disappear."

Really?  We can see Saturn during the summer months and some of spring and fall but it disappears in the winter (behind the sun).  In a few hundred years it will only be visible during the winter, with summer being behind the sun.  Say again how they don't change positions...

@wilderness: I realize now that that quote doesn't make sense. I am well aware that planets and celestial objects move around. In astrology we do take into account what planets are doing? When they go into retrograde, direct and stationary. I keep mentioning natal charts because you will understand what I am talking about if you do one!!! It is very current to what's going on in the universe now! btw Where are you getting your information from? Give me links to your articles and other information.

If you were aware of what the planets were doing, you would find that the term "retrograde" was used in astrology when it was thought the Earth was the center of the universe and it appeared that some planets moved backwards. Retrograde actually has a meaning in astronomy, which is not the same meaning used in astrology.

One of many reasons why astrology is now considered pseudoscience.

2. wilderness profile image95

Planets don't "go into retrograde" (reverse rotation from that of their primaries), and they don't go stationary either.  Either would violate Newtons first law of motion.

In astrology, that's the terms they use. Its more symbolic then literal. I know planets don't actually go retrograde. Retrograde in astrology is more of a symbolic period which asks you to look inward.

Exactly, and because it has been defined to be "more symbolic then literal", it becomes a useless term, along with the phrase "which asks you to look inward". It's all completely subjective and falls prey to various interpretation.

3. wilderness profile image95

As far as Saturn goes, look up any celestial map - it will show you when and where you can see any planet.  Then think about what happens when that planet is on the other side of the sun (planets DO circle the sun) and what season it will be on earth when we see it at night, and advance the time on the map.  This year, I saw Saturn in April/May; it is not just visible at the horizon as the sun goes down.  Soon you won't see it at all as you would have to look through the sun to do so; come spring it will be back.

But of course any good Astrologer knows all this; planetary orbits have been well understood for centuries.

Ya because astrologers are apparently the same as astronomers .

*shrug*  You're claiming the ancients knew orbital physics in order to determine where a planet would be - either they can or they can't.  Personally, I don't think you will find a single astrologer in the world that can calculate an orbit properly, but I could be wrong.

Why would they need to? "Astrology isn't a science"

Couldn't begin to tell you.  As far as I can see it's all made up anyway - no knowledge needed.

But YOU'RE the one claiming great knowledge there - the knowledge of someone studying astronomy for a lifetime - can you answer your own question?

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

It's quite simple, science helps us to understand how things work. If the scientific method can't be applied, then there is nothing to understand, it becomes gibberish.

And yet, a Gallup Poll reveals that only 0.15% of all scientists and engineers are creationists, the rest accept evolution. That is because evolution is indeed a fact, and a theory.

Tell us again, please, how evolution is not widely accepted in the scientific community?

5. deecoleworld profile image74

Psychology as a discipline is more similar to astrology then anything else scientific. Carl Jung dabble in astrology, modern British psychologist and astrologer Liz Greene is highly regarded and respected. Humans are complex and are not predictable.  Astrology has elements of prediction (but I don't believe in that and don't think of it as useful).
    To all people on this forum!!! I use astrology (and many others) in a very similar way to psychology to get insight into human motivations and behavior. It is used to give insight to a person's personality, to help people understand and work on themselves. Astrology isn't just about predicting behavior that is a BIG misconception. There are different categories/branches of astrology (natal, horary, vocational, etc). Plus I would say that a lot of people that don't believe in astrology, know nothing about it, they think its just the 12 signs and the horoscopes in the back of the newspapers and that's it. Its not true, people need to do their own research before dismissing something they know nothing about.

I challenge everyone here to do a natal chart using your birthday, the exact time of birth, and the location you were born in.  You can find it free natal chart on Google and it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Chaos astrology and Astrolabe are good sites for that! I hope this will give you a good grasp of what astrology is. If they still don't believe in that no harm done.

By the way there is a lot of information out there, especially on the internet. For natal charts, chaos astrology, and astrolabe are good sites.For general information astrology.com, astrologyzone and sassastrology, cafeastrology. For celebrity astrological information and information on transits there is astrotheme. If you want to read blogs, The Astrology Place, Elsa Elsa, and Solaris Astrology are good blogs. If you want to chat with people about astrology and like a forum environment there is the astrologers community and Lindaland are good. If you want to read books on astrology check out authors like Liz Greene, Stephen Arroyo and Linda Goodman. If you want to look at videos on astrology check out Astrolada, KRS Astrology (for Vedic astrology), LiveVision, Veerle Debruyne,  Alyssa Sharpe, the Peacedealer, and Penny Astrology/whackowitch. There are plenty of information and resources. 

Do your own research and make your mind up!!!!

6. deecoleworld profile image74

@EncephaloiDead: I am just realizing you are a troll exhibiting classic internet troll behavior. Especially the fact that you joined hubpages for over a year, still don't have any hubs and love to comment on questions and forums mostly regarding philosophy and religion. You are not here to try to understand. I am all open for a debate I enjoy debates. When so, you came in with preconceived ideas on astrology and you actually don't want to learn. You are disrespectful and intolerant. I am done wasting my time trying to explain something to you, when clearly you don't give a f**k! big_smile  I am also done responding to you. Have fun being a troll!!!  smile I am moving on!!! smile

7. deecoleworld profile image74

@wilderness: I was being a bit sarcastic. There is something to astrology even if it isn't a science. IF you fully understood astrology then you will see this. Astrology improved the understanding of ourselves and the world around us. I know it has for me. Astrology isn't nothing but imagination and it does have connection to reality. It sounds really ignorant what you are saying. If you see no point in astrology, that's fine but saying its useless is incredibly stupid to me. Like you are judging something you don't fully understand or ever take a closer look at. I can understand you looked and did research into astrology and then come to the conclusion that its utter bullshit. That's fine! Whatever!!!.
    But you are making judgement on something you never even take a closer look at. I can understand you would think that is a waste of time, but don't go around saying its bs, if you don't know anything about it. For someone who is supposedly logical that the most illogical. irrational thing you can do. Btw I think its incredibly stupid to compare something scientific to something that isn't, it can not be held in the same standard and its unfair to do so.
    On the why learn it question? That's similar to asking why believe in God? There is a lot of things we don't know in this universe that science still can't prove. Its an alternative perspective on things we don't understand.

But I didn't say it was worthless; I said it had no connection to reality.  The adherents to astrology get a great deal of pleasure and stress relief from it - it has a very definite value.  It just can't be trusted to give true answers, that's all, and that doesn't matter to the believers any more than proof does to the believers in a god-creature from another universe that loves them and made this universe just for them.

As far as an alternate perspective; yes it most surely is, just as believers in that invisible god is a different perspective.  It just has no connection we can find to reality and is thus of no value to anything but the emotional state of it's believers.  Perspective does not necessarily equate to reality after all, as it often comes from the imagination and not from fact or truth.

@wilderness: It does have a connection to reality though. What can actually give us true answers? Nothing in this world can give us true answers, we have to find truth in things, ideas, etc,. I do agree science can gives us to answers to things we wouldn't have known otherwise, but what about those existential questions we have been asking since idk, the 20th Century. Why are we here? Where did we come from? etc.
        Technically we are in this world alone, but are we really? It may seem that way but what if there is this whole other world/universe we don't know anything about. Space exploration, aliens perhaps? (I am fully aware this sounds crazy!!). But there are things we can't explain yet, things that point elsewhere.
        I think everything has value and I don't agree that "Perspective does not necessarily equate to reality". Perspective is a different side to and part of reality. Putting all the different perspectives together may give us a whole picture. Kinda like a puzzle. Astrology does not come from the imagination!

Science.

Science is answering those questions, too. But, if you refuse to learn anything about the world around you, you'll never understand those answers.

What things? You say that but can you actually provide valid examples?

It comes from myth and superstition.

2. wilderness profile image95

Ignorance of the answer to a question (maybe "Why are we here?") is not a reason to invent one out of pure imagination.  While it may make one feel good about their life, there is no reason to think such an answer is valid or true.

It is not out of pure imagination. There is a method to astrology and it applies alot of disciplines (history, geometry, psychology, mythology, etc.). P.S. Imagination and creativity are the best things out of life and to the world. The ability to think creativity and out the box is a wonderful skill. A lot of human advances came out of imagination. I am sure you have all the answers to life then? Logic is GOD in your book. No room for uncertainty. Right? That sounds like a sad way to live.

Sure.  And 2+2=4, which is the number for high emotional response. 

See how that works?  You make up an imaginary correlation and declare it to be true.  Works every time, too, until you do a statistical analysis and find out there IS no correlation.

Thinking outside the box is a great way to find new hypothesis to be checked and tested.  Not to make up imaginary things and think they're true.

I still don't understand why you keep trying to apply scientific terms to something that is not scientific. That isn't very smart!!!  Astrology isn't imaginary correlation or imaginary, it is very real and to some it is very true. I happen to be one of those people. I don't understand why you refuse to see it, in non-scientific terms. Ignorance is bliss ........ or more like intellectual laziness smile

We do see it in non-scientific terms, which would be the opposite of fact and evidence, in other words, myth and superstition, which is indeed non-scientific.

8. newbizmau profile image86
    newbizmauposted 9 years ago

Its fair to say that Astrology cannot be understood purely from a scientific viewpoint.

To me its like trying to understand the elements from purely a spiritual view point because elements are physical. Astrology in my view is a combination of both and therefor cannot be explained unless you understand both.

Science meets Spirit

Thank You! newbizmau I agree!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)