Can Too Many Photos Hurt?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I've been working on updating my hubs. I've added a lot of new photos etc. I am wondering if too many photos are just slowing down my pages and are hurting more than helping. The reason I ask is that the more I update, the lower my traffic is getting.

I know there was a recent Panda, but I am still wondering if this could be hurting.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is not likely that a lot of photos are bad.  Unless they were simply random images just placed there to make the page look pretty. If the images are relevant to the hub, then they should be just fine.

I think it would also depend on the topic and what I was looking for.  If I am looking for ideas of how to make a scrap book page, the more examples the better.  If I am looking for something more academic, I don't need a lot of images.

Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Millionaire Tips, Thanks. I guess that isn't my problem then.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image82
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As I am new here, I don't have a clue about the correct answer, but I enjoy photos on a hub! I visited HP hubs for information on things I was interested in, for a long time before the Squidoo import landed me here, and relevant photos always piqued my interest.

Shades-of-Truth, Thanks.

3. Fran Michaels profile image77
      Fran Michaelsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It depends on each individual Hub. But for most Hubs, I think there has to be a balance between text and pictures. Don't become overly reliant on pictures.

Fran Michaels, I have something like 1,250 words on each. I should be safe on that one. If photos aren't my problem, than I have another hunch what is.

4. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Barbara- Check out Writer Fox's hubs.  Some have 100-200 images and are very successful.  Specifically look at the Cupid one and the Roses one to see the images to text ratios there.

Paul E has said that high quality images are considered quality content just as much as quality text.

Solaras, Thanks. I don't have close to that many, so I must be safe on the photos. I appreciate everyone's advice.

5. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Barbara,
      May I offer you what a more-professional hubber told me not too long ago?
      They said DO use photos and stick to a moderate amount. I took this as NOT to use too many or too less. I also guess that I was left to be my own judge.
      Hope this helps.

Kenneth, Thanks for the advice.

6. Marie Gail profile image77
      Marie Gailposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You would have to really overdo photos for them to be a bad thing. The thing I think takes away from Hubs more than too many pictures is too much "filler." For example, if you have an 800-word, tightly written Hub, don't update it by adding words just to hit the 1,000 to 1,200-word recommendation. Frankly, I think a lot of hubbers make that mistake these days. There are a lot of Hubs that would be much better if the authors took editing a little more seriously. A long Hub full of pertinent information is fine, but a long Hub that could easily cover the topic or information in half the number of words isn't going to get hits from the new Google algorithms.

2. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

I have Hubs with as many as 200 images. One of those Hubs takes 22 1/2 seconds to load.  I could optimize those images and the page would load in 15/5 seconds (which is still too long),  but the quality of the photos would suffer and the point of that Hub is to give people good photos.  What I have found is that the page loads as fast as someone can scroll down to look at the pictures, so the user might not notice the slow load.  Also, it hasn't stopped search engines from sending good traffic, though I might get more traffic if the page would load in two seconds which I cannot control and Google expects.

You can check Google's load of a page by following the instructions here:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pag … vice/tryit

If you want to optimize your images for faster download, you can use a free online tool like this one: http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

1. Arco Hess Designs profile image60
      Arco Hess Designsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To add to this, Google does use page loading speed as part of their algorithm. However, no one knows what percent of their rankings is due to this. Of course, if it has negative impact on page load speed for users, they would leave and bounce rate can definitely hurt a pages ranking.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought HP's new server might improve page load speed. Sadly, it hasn't.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Thanks Writer Fox. It is finding time to do all this extra work too. Maybe over the winter, I'll have time to work on it.

3. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I don't really know much about SEO but I just read today that it is better to just remove unnecessary photos. Include only those that really enhance your site. I found that in the pages where I removed some pictures, the load time has improved. I don't know how to compress the pictures so removing is easier for me.

4. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Several of my hubs that are highest ranked, and get the most views, have step-by-step photography. I use as many photos as is necessary to explain what I'm doing.

5. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 9 years ago

I love seeing photos in the hubs that relate to the topic whatever it is. Just words in a hub looks boring. I love taking my photos for my variety of hubs !
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11903152_f1024.jpg

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

Well, my traffic is going back up now. So, who knows. I'll keep adding photos that go along with the hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)