Trustworthiness of News Sources

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 9 years ago

Recently Pew Research
    http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are … ca-2014-10

released a poll ranking the trustworthiness of various News Outlets.  They showed what Very Liberal, Somewhat Liberal, Mixed, Somewhat Conservative, and Very Conservative ideologies.  They had their own methodology for ranking them "trusted more then distrusted, "trusted as much as distrusted", and "trusted less than distrusted".

Pew's top 5 trusted sources were 1) The Economist, 2) BBC, 3) NPR, 4) PBS, and 5) Wall Street Journal
    Their worst 5 distrusted sources 1) Buzz Feed, 2) Rush Limbaugh, 3) Glenn Beck, 4) Ed Shultz, 5) Al Jazeera America

I reranked their results based on what made sense to me (some their rankings seemed very odd and inconsistent with each other) and came up with this:

Best 5: 1) Wall Street Journal, 2) The Economist, 3) BBC, 4) Google News (?), 5) ABC/USA Today (tied)
    Worst 5: 1) 1) Buzz Feed, 2) Rush Limbaugh, 3) Ed Schultz, 4) Al Jazeera America, 5) Daily Kos.

What is your opinion?

My Esotericposted 9 years agoin reply to this

More information about this:

- My scale is from 9 (Buzz Feed) to 81 (Wall Street Journal)
      - The next three most trusted sources scored 77
      - The next two most trusted scored 73
      - The next four most distrusted sources all scored 25
      - MSNBC News scored 57 as did Fox News. (Obviously Liberals scored MSNBC high and Conservatives scored Fox high)
      - CNN scored 65 as did CBS, NBC, and NPR
      - Neutral at 45 would be sources such as Politico, Huffington Post, and Drudge Show

2. God shet profile image59
      God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a very simple question for everyone who's interested about media on a whole: What do all these guys do when there is nothing to talk about?

Go insane.

2. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was watching Fox Snooze waiting for a commercial on another channel to finish when Gretchen Carlson made a comment about thinking on the spot when the newscaster is lost in a story. Her words "We just make it up".

3. rhamson profile image71

It Is as I had thought. Ideologies hang onto the last shred of insanity.

4. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Trustworthiness in news sources -- ain't happening, nobody's neutral. I say this as a former journalist with both BA and MA in journalism. Everybody's got a slant even if they try to be neutral, and I don't think they even try anymore. I believe that at one time journalists could be trusted, but no more. While I was working on my MA, we were still being taught:  1. Be neutral and report both sides fairly, 2. Respect individual and family privacy during tragedies, and 3. National security comes before your story. (Respect national security over sensationalism). The seeds of media dissent were being sown at that time. I remember that in one class, a student argued with the professor that it would be his job to report what he saw regardless of national security. He was shouted down by the class, but apparently that is the policy of today.
      Regarding polls, they are as accurate as the bias of those polled, therefore ranking of polls can't accurately forecast news trustworthiness. Conservatives are going to say they can't trust CNN, while liberals are going to say that Fox News can't be trusted. And as for Rush Limbaugh, everybody knows he's crazy, and so are the publishers of the Daily Kos. So there you have the two polarized crazies!
      In my opinion,  the most accurate reporting of anything in the Middle East was when Christine Armanpour was reporting for CNN. Today Middle East reporting can't be trusted because of the nature of the beast. It comes through correspondence pools, which means that we can be fed pap or have the truth whitewashed, depending on who is doing the censoring.

1. rhamson profile image71

Bernie Goldberg wrote the book "Bias - A CBS insider exposes how the media distort the news". He takes on CBS with a vengeance and describes several instances of stories being either censored or completely ignored. It is a wonder anything can be related by these clowns that does not wreak of distortion and manipulation. It is always not as it seems with these guys.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts."    Abraham Lincoln

It is one of the biggest travesties of our country when the press is an atrocity to the 1st Amendment of the Constitution. But everything is for sale these days.

Well, the Right has been banging on CBS, ABC, and NBC for a decade now, but that is how the People Lincoln talked about stack them up.  They rate Fox and MSNBC lower as well they should.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
          Dr Billy Kiddposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Rhamson, everything is for sale. Hysteria takes the cake.
          Yet money tops hysteria. For example, Karl Rove just ran a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal. It said that billionaires have to come to the plate to swing the election. Within the news cycle, Rove had $17 million to buy the Senate for Republicans.

2. My Esoteric profile image86

Neutral is neutral in this sense: For MSNBC, Liberals of both types find it more trustworthy than untrustworthy (duh) and Conservatives of both types believe just the opposite (again, duh).  So that leaves those Pew rated "Mixed" on a 10-question survey to determine political leanings to determine the "trustworthiness" of the news source.  In this case, as well as Fox's, they found the outlets neither more trustworthy or less trustworthy ... hence neutral.  Maybe "undetermined" might be a better word.

5. maxoxam41 profile image64
      maxoxam41posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't see in what way you can still trust the Wall Street journal, the economist... do you think that they are the remaining  independent sources? Linbaugh and wall street think the same way, don't they? Both of them are the voices of the neocons, aren't they?
      Therefore my ranking is simple. I flush them all in the toilet..........

Personally, since I lean Left, I would rank the WSJ "less trustworthy".  It is, nevertheless, what the respondents chose as most trustworthy across all ideological groups; surprised the hell out of me.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maxoxam41, you said, "Linbaugh and wall street think the same way, don't they?" Brilliant! Just "show me the money." That's where they're coming from.

6. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you haven't already, read Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, by Herman and Chomsky. It's an oldy (1988) but a goody, as the basic principles are still applicable.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

As someone with a background in newspapers, this list is what I would expect, but I don't expect everyone to agree with it.  For many, a source of information is not trustworthy if they don't agree with it.  So it begs the question we should all ask ourselves:  Do we want information or do we just want to be told what we want to hear?

Perfect.  I wish they had POTUS from Sirius/XM on their list.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)