Have you started yet?

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image62
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years ago

I got 21 of the hubs written in the last 10 days or so.  I was planning a capstone hub series on the topic anyway so they were in hand.

Yesterday I worked TWO HOURS late on the capstone or index hub (which will be published last) and the first 2 hubs.  Got the first one ready to post.  Went to bed early.

Got up this morning at 7am to post my first hub - sure I was (due to the time difference overhere in England) gonna be the first hub of the challenge, and DETERMINED to be!

Sat at the computer and checked the time over there in HubPages land to make sure I got it posted at the stroke of 0001 am - only to find it is still ONLY THURSDAY!!!

Sigh.  I was sure it was Friday today, too.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My point being that the hub you intended to post at 0001 am isn't really a hub-challenge hub, because unless you wrote it in under 60 seconds, it's just any old hub, with no challenge involved.

But maybe I've misunderstood the hub challenge.

Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope. It's to create 30 hubs in 30 days.

WRITING them in 30 days would be a silly rule - how do you define WRITING?  Like we can't put finger to keyboard till somebody says "Go!"?  So would it be ok research them before the start?  Or list the ideas?  Or would it be ok to scribble notes so long as it wasn't actually WRITING them?

Hell I write a lot of things in my head and then just type them out when I get round to it... (yes completely written in my head pretty much word for word)

The process of writing for many of us can start MONTHS before we actually sit here and tap anything out...

My mistake, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the HubChallenge, although this does make it sound like a fairly pointless enterprise.

1. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, Julie-Ann isn't typical. Most hubbers don't have 200 hubs waiting to be published. Many of us just get up every day and write. I have a game plan for writing hubps for the next six months. But I doubt if I'll ever be more than a few days ahead if that. I'm just using this to help stay motivated. Although my sales details due that all my themselves.

2. Richard Ring profile image60
    Richard Ringposted 14 years ago

If it works like that then I'm at 22 of my 30 since I just joined on the 6th. 8 More and I'm done?!

3. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I've started. Got about 7.  Hope to have at least 15 before we start. Does anyone know if they have a minimum number of words?

1. Richard Ring profile image60
      Richard Ringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The stickied guide says 500-700 words but I don't think it's a hard-fast rule ??

I can clarify there is no rule, but if you do 500-700 words min you will see better Search engine traffic and adsense income in all probability.  I tend to do longer than that, but that's just me.

1. Lady_E profile image63
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying this, Julie and Richard.

4. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

This may sound like a silly question, but, how do i sign up?
    Also do they start counting from tommorrow, or can it include hubs i published a few days ago?

5. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Um, maybe I've got this all wrong, but isn't the whole point of the challenge to write thirty hubs 'within' thirty days?  I guess there's no rules as such, but if you all intend to include a bunch of hubs that you've already finished before the challenge has even begun, then is there any point to it?

I agree, I'll consider my start from today for classification purposes.

Is there anything unethical about publishing in both Hub Challenge and Hub Mob? smile I really like this week's HubMob on Summer Products.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
        Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heck no -- I would actually endorse that fully!

Go a head and get your HubMob and HubChallenge on! smile

Saweeeeet; double the brownie points. smile

6. frank_men profile image60
    frank_menposted 14 years ago

I have just started today and I will be posting in a bit!

Well done!  7 to 37 hubs will be a significant leap for you I'm sure!

7. iluvluvluvlucy profile image67
    iluvluvluvlucyposted 14 years ago

Sounds like fun. Count me in starting tomorrow!

8. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Do you know if we're planning to use the same hubchallenge tag for these new hubs?

Hey Kerry -- no need to use the HubChallenge tag this time around.

1. kerryg profile image83
        kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh. Hmm. I'd actually like to keep track of all the hubs I write to satisfy my own curiosity, so I'll probably do something like "30hubs30days" in that case.

9. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

I have some ideas for the 30 hubs but I'm not even going to begin thinking about them until the challenge starts tomorrow and then I am hoping to do one hub per day. I did complete the 100 hubs in 30 days challenge so this one should be a little easier to do.

10. DoodleLyn profile image72
    DoodleLynposted 14 years ago

I just decided to try this. Nothing written yet, but I came up with a short list of topics. Will start tomorrow. We'll see what happens! This should be fun.

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I started last night!  My mother always said I needed to get ahead. lol

12. ethel smith profile image84
    ethel smithposted 14 years ago

Ok folks I am in. I will start tomorrow 24th July 2009, English time smile Hold on tight, it looks like we are in for a bumpy ride lol

13. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

My challenge during the hub challenge is to see if I can write a hub every day.  If I do I will be happy, if I fall short I will not be too hard on myself smile.

14. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I don't have even one hub in unpublished state. So I would have to write from scratch. But I have made an excel sheet on what topics to write. Writing one hub daily for 30 days should not be a problem as i have already attempted and done 100 hubs in 30 days.

I would aim at writing 2 hubs a day and completing in 15 days instead of 30 as i would be gone for a holiday for 10 days mid August.

For me (in India) it is already Friday 24,2009. So i better get to work.

15. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

I just posted my first hub in this challenge
    its Friday morning now here in Brisbane Australia
    here it is :
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Whats-happening … t-Virginia

...and so it begins. smile

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it begins.......gogogogogogogo........go!

16. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I've already written 25 hubs this month. I try to write at least one hub every day.

That's the easy bit!  getting round to hubbifying them and putting them online is where I fall short!

Just call me the 200 unpublished hubs girl....

1. profile image0

I don't follow you. What is hubbifying them and putting them online mean? I write them and hit Publish Now. They're done.

200 unpublished hubs?

1. Lady_E profile image63
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

After reading Julie's profile, I totally understand how she can have 200 unpublished Hubs.  Amazing...

2. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

200 unpublished hubs, more than likely means she has them in draft and they just need tinkering with to get them right before publishing or hubbifying lol!

3. Julie-Ann Amos profile image62

I know you don't add pictures and other fancy stuff but a lot of people (most?) do - what takes the time is:

getting them visually appealing,
          keywording for SEO
          optimising the adsense ads content
          optimising the adsense layout
          adding images that I'm happy with
          adding Amazon and ebay
          rss feeds
          videos where appropraite
          then tweaking the look and feel of the hub till I'm happy to hit publish

1. rich-in-mind profile image60
            rich-in-mindposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can change the adsense layout?
            Also, do we have to add amazon to our hubpages to earn revenue? The hubFAQ confused me on that part and I don't have an amazon affiliate account.

You can MINIMALLY change the adsense layout - Lissie has written a hub about this so do search her great hubs!

Basically all you can do on layout is alter where the top boxes appear with some jiggling of your own text boxes to maximise click potential.  Her idea completely not mine so do check out her hub.

You don't HAVE to add amazon but I make a reasonable amount from it each month.  Some people make a lot.

17. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Wow, do you really have 200 unpublished hubs?

Unfortunately so.  They seem to have gotten out of hand!

Looked the other day and saw 500 hubs and thought wow... then realised only less than 300 published...

An "Oops" moment.

They'd been breeding in there out of sight...

18. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I published one last night...I'm doing mine from July 22- August 22.

19. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I have 11 hubs keyworded and have sketched.  I'm about 1/2 way done with the first one I plan to publish tomorrow.  If all goes well, I can publish two tomorrow.  Hope eveyone is being productive...  I even had dreams about it last night...

20. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Wow! I thought 30 hubs in 30 days was a challenge. Only to hear that some of you wrote 100 hubs in 30 day's, thats amazing. I have been a hubber for 5 weeks and I only have 1 hub! How do you do it?
    I am tempted to give it a go but it sounds so scary!

1. profile image0

Welcome to Hubpages. Don't let it scare you. It's a good way to learn to write hubs and to develop a discipline to write lots of hubs. Let us know if you need any help.

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image62

Give it a go and if you fall short it doesn't matter!

21. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Thanks Nellie, I might just have to do that! I am a bit of a flitterer and tend to juggle a lot of things rather then one thing exclusively, I think if I put my head down I could probably manage one a day. Starting tomorrow?

22. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

It is already 24th of July and Friday in India. Here is my first contribution http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-be-a-goo … -qualities

23. chloenixon profile image61
    chloenixonposted 14 years ago

It's funny! I have only written two in my first 7 days. Check out my hubs and give me feedback and advice. Thanks!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Sofrito-Chicken
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-best-of-bot … -and-Asian

24. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Nothing unethical at all.

25. grammartroll profile image60
    grammartrollposted 14 years ago

I am inaugurating my Thirty Hubs in Thirty days challenge today!  My topic will be "Thirty Great Movies You've Probably Never Seen."  My first topic, Three Days of the Condor, will be posted shortly.

Good luck to everyone!

Picture of the HubChallenge on the bottom of your hub on Night Nurse is HUGE (and pixelated)! Careful...or maybe it's just me???

26. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

You guys have already started? Oooooh....I am in trouble! smile

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Phooey Irohner....(I've never used the word phooey online before....odd)....you're right on schedule.  Don't worry about a thing!  Brainstorm a few ideas...see what pops up.  Start and write when you're ready!

27. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

YEAH!!!!  I just published number one and am almost done with number two.  I literally waited until the stroke of midnight here to publish.  lol

make sure you tag your hubs "hubchallenge", people, so Hubpages can track them...

Done, does it matter if it's all CAPS?

no matter at all I think

2. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just put "hubchallenge" as a tag, you mean.

28. frank_men profile image60
    frank_menposted 14 years ago

Im already at day 2 and I'm currently writing my third hub! This is exciting smile

29. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I gave up on the last challenge but I'm going to give it a go this time.

30. Shawn M. profile image59
    Shawn M.posted 14 years ago

I am in.  Should be fun!

31. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

1 down. 29 to go. Shoot me. Please.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

32. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Number one is under my belt smile

33. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Finished my first - ta da!

34. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Two down. (Counting one done about midnight last night.)

35. Shawn M. profile image59

5 down... had articles written yesterday so was already to post for today. smile

36. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

You guys are rocking and rolling!  Keep it up.  I'm on Day 1 and I have 3 completed!  I have probably 15 in the making.  We're off to a great start!  If you need help, holler!

37. fortunerep profile image68
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

did it start today

38. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Many started today, but because it's an open challenge, your 30 days starts whenever you decide it starts.

1. fortunerep profile image68
      fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

when does it end?

30 days after it starts.....but never officially ends.  People will come and go on their own 30 day schedules.  So, pick any 30 day timeframe and get after it.

lol, love that. big_smile

LOL....I know, right?

39. Shawn M. profile image59

Another 5 done.  20 more to go. :p

40. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Two down, how many left??? This is a CHALLENGE, a true challenge for me.

Jane, you're doing fine!  One thing I found in the last challenge is that once I was in the challenge mindset, I started seeing opportunities for topics popping up everywhere.  One that I specifically remember was being on my lunch break from work and a local radio station plays old country music during the lunch hour.  I heard an old song I hadn't heard in a long time and it inspired a hub. I came home and wrote that hub in about 30 minutes.  Those are the most fun.  So, as you begin to relax and have fun with this challenge, it'll become less of a challenge and more about "I wonder what kind of inspiration I'll get today?!"  You begin to look forward to that...in fact, I get quite addicted to it.

41. EverythingMouse profile image60
    EverythingMouseposted 14 years ago

I started yesterday and have published 3 so far.   I am certainly enjoying the challenge.

That is super!  You are well on your way!  You'll be done in no time!

42. grammartroll profile image60
    grammartrollposted 14 years ago

Yay!  I finished my 30th today!  I really enjoyed this project, though I didn't generate a bloody cent from it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)