something personal

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 9 years ago

I'm getting all of my teeth extracted and getting dentures. I am just nervous about the extractions, I haven't even really thought about the dentures part too much. I'm kind of traumatized right now. Not even sure why I'm writing about this, I just can't stop thinking about it.

Has anyone gone this rout, and do you have any advice or a personal story you're willing to share?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have not.  But I recently made a craiglist sale of a camper to a woman that picked it up several days later, the day AFTER having all her front teeth extracted and a denture put in.  Only one day and she seemed fine, not complaining except she didn't like the dentures yet.

janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

smile

I hope mine turns out so well.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it will.  I DID have all four wisdom teeth extracted at once and was uncomfortable for a few days, but then that was over 40 years ago.  I would certainly hope that techniques have developed somewhat since then!

2. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Im sorry Jane, how very difficult for you. Life can be so hard sometimes. Remember to pray while you're in the chair... it helps me.

3. profile image0
      Mel92114posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Both my aunt and grandfather had their teeth removed and got dentures not long ago. They are so glad they did. They both said they should've had it done much sooner and that it wasn't as bad as they'd anticipated.

Good luck to you, dear.

4. Cat333 profile image60
      Cat333posted 9 years agoin reply to this

While I can't say about the dentures, getting teeth pulled is not so bad as feared (I had four premolars pulled at one time during young adulthood to make room when getting braces). The pain meds made me dizzy/sick, so I went without any meds the same day and was fine.

Sometimes when I stress about this or that with my teeth, I think of a man at work who often played around, taking out his dentures to be funny. It was no big deal for him to have dentures and I think we can learn from what a "light" matter it really can be.

Will be praying for your peace, comfort and healing.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Hi janesix. I had four teeth out one day and five two weeks later. Have been fitted for dentures and will have the finished product in a couple of weeks. My last fitting was to make sure the dentures fit perfectly and were aligned correctly...they felt and looked much better than I expected. It has been a long process but not as bad as I thought. I was worried before hand too.

janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good luck:) I hope it turns out well for you.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

My Sis had this done several years ago. Her mouth was sore for awhile, which is to be expected, but everything went well, and she has had no problems since. She is very glad she had it done.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

I don't know anyone who went for full dentures at a young age so I can't share any stories, but apparently it's not so uncommon -- according to a very unscientific survey of Google results.  Here are some personal anecdotes about it, most are pretty positive and the people who get it done seem happy with the results.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes … th_pulled/

http://wordingwell.com/i-have-false-tee … love-them/

Good luck with the surgery and take care of yourself!

5. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Well, I'm a chicken, and I am convinced that my own teeth will rot out of my head before that. wink
    My grandma had it done many years ago. It was a big deal. She had 1 day of irritation and loved her new dentures. 
    I wish your experience to be as easy-breezy!!!

6. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Hey Jane, look at this article. I hope it helps.
    http://kathymcgraw2.hubpages.com/hub/new-dentures

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I don't share this, well ever, but since you are going through it and I know how it feels I will. All of my top teeth were removed when I went into foster care. They were too badly broken to repair at a cost the state would like.
    The Pros - Eating again (like really eating), pretty smile again, feeling like I don't have to talk with my mouth closed
    The Cons- Having multiple teeth pulled in one sitting isn't terrible, but the sound is. When dentures first go in they feel weird, really really weird. They also make you sound weird until you get use to them. Getting a good fit can take multiple fittings. You may need glue to hold them in, and if you do finding the right one is trial and error. Hopefully you'll get a perfect fit and not need it.
    Overall I am thankful it hasn't been that bad. It's been 15 years since I went through the pulling and I still vividly remember how it sounded. I had them all pulled in one week. The swelling looks scary but goes away quickly. My best advice is when you get your denture, don't go for the cheapest. Spend a little extra to know you get the right one. Also ask to look at the size of the dentures before they make them. I'm fortunate, even at 31 I still wear a child's size denture because my mouth is small, but I have a friend who ended up with giant dentures that did not match his face at all. Good luck! You won't regret it when it's all said and done.

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was so kind, thanks for that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)